Clear all

Post Lockdown Speaking

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Post-lockdown stage fright? These experts remind you how to speak in front of a crowd

(CNN)"If you have to be at a funeral, you would rather be in the casket than doing the eulogy." When comedian Jerry Seinfeld delivered that punchline during a Broadway show in 1998, he was appealing to a wide audience.

The fear of public speaking -- known as glossophobia -- is among the world's top phobias. As many as 73% of Americans suffer from a fear of public speaking, often ahead of other common phobias such as heights, spiders and clowns.
With lockdown restrictions easing in many places and a possible end in sight to seemingly endless virtual meetings, you might be starting to get the public speaking jitters again. CNN spoke to four public speaking experts for advice on how to beat post-lockdown stage fright.

1. Have a clear, written intention

"There is this bizarre sense that if you were talking on Zoom, somehow it didn't quite matter as much," he adds. "There is the get-out clause of pressing escape, in the event of panic, (and) just being able to disappear."
Bernstein suggests identifying one point you want people to remember from the speech and focusing on that goal with every line you write. "If you don't know what the ultimate point of your speech is, I think it will fail," he says.

2. Be empathetic

With so much time spent indoors over the last year, many people are more inclined than ever to introspection. To appeal to an audience's ego, you have to make them feel like you're talking to them directly -- and the way to do that is to be empathetic.
"Michelle Obama is massively underrated," Bernstein says, adding that what makes her a great speaker is the relevance of her speeches, her clarity, and ultimately her empathy.
That's the key combination, he says. "You can be relevant and clear -- that's all very well and good, but Alexa is relevant and clear," Bernstein tells CNN. "Alexa will give me a very relevant answer that is clear to my needs but lacks empathy. Only a human can do all three together."

3. Keep it short and sweet

After a year and a half online, attention spans have been sapped, explains speech coach and learning consultant Alan Barker.
"One of the key things that will have changed in the audience is (the) level of patience," says Barker. "You can create something really dynamic and interesting in five or six minutes. Once you've done that, going back to 45 minutes seems kind of ridiculous."
Keeping in mind that the maximum length of a TED talk is 18 minutes, distill your speech down to only the crucial points. This will mean a shorter speech and one that is focused and clear.

4. Bring your message to life

Barker says he uses the acronym "P.R.A.I.S.E." as a technique to bring material to life. "'P' stands for proverb," he says; if you can express your message using a common saying, it will be more memorable.
Next, 'R' for resonate. Barker says it's important to use concrete examples that demonstrate your idea.
"'A' is for attention-grabbers," he says. He suggests using language devices such as the rule of three, rhythmic devices and rhetorical questions.
'I' stands for influence. "How can you use your reputation, your credibility?" asks Barker.
Steve Jobs gave the most watched commencement speech of all time

5. Use an appropriate volume

When learning to speak in public we are usually taught to project our voices. Consultant speech and language therapist Sharon Adjei-Nicol thinks that long periods of digital communication may have left us with the opposite problem.
Adjei-Nicol says we might need to make a conscious effort to avoid shouting. Remember that live audiences don't have the option to reduce your volume.
"Online communication tends to lead to people talking quite loudly or shouting," she says. "There is an adjustment that needs to be made as we resume '3D' communication about what is a normal volume."

(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

Even before the lock down I was also afraid of public speaking. Reading this and seeing that 73% of American's have the same fear is actually surprising. I for some reason didn't think that the number would be that high. I remember when I went to college in Miami I tried everything in my power to get out of my speech class. I just didn't want to have to face that fear. These all are good things to keep in mind when writing a speech, a good confident volume and keeping it short and sweet are two really good tips.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did not think the % was so high. I was always afraid of speaking in public. There were so many people staring. As I progressed into this career I found it fun to get up and speak about my profession and share knowledge with others

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

i have never really been afraid of public speaking, i dont like it per say but it was never anything that gave me the jitters or really made me nervous. since covid though i havent had many opportunities where public speaking was required but with being a server i have to be comfortable going up to people and speaking to them and thats something i havent had much trouble doing 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com yeah 73% does seem like a lot of the population when it comes to this. for some people it seems so easy but then they will turn around and tell you they have like crippling stage fright 

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

This is yet another interesting effect of Covid that I had never thought about. I think the advice being given here is really interesting too. I'm definitely afraid of public speaking, and the way in which this article phrases its advice relies heavily on the preparation and writing part of making speeches which I think makes the idea of giving one a lot more tolerable. If you can write a good speech on your own then you've already done the majority of the work to be successful with it. I'll definitely keep this advice in mind if I ever find myself having to give a speech.

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I used to be scared of public speaking but being in this industry has helped me overcome that fear. When I was in cosmetology school back when I was still in high school my teachers always wanted me to speak to guest classes that were viewing the class from other schools and at first it made me nervous but after a while I did not mind it because I was speaking about an industry I am passionate in and educated in. Same thing with esthetics my old teacher wants me to come into her class to speak to the students about esthetics and masters which excites me. I definitely think taking a public speaking class in high school my senior year helped me with that fear because all of our assignments were speaking and reading stories etc it was actually fun.

ReplyQuote

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I agree you don't really think something like Covid would affect someone fear of public speaking! But it is nice to see there are lots of people in the same boat to kind of help and support each other, and this article giving thorough advice on how to prepare and giving tips and pointers. 

ReplyQuote

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I had to take a public speaking class in high school my senior year and I was not thrilled of the idea of having to get up and do presentations and speak for every single assignment but it did really help me gain confidence and good speaking tips and pointers to use in the real world. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!