13 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Benefits of Making the Mineral Sunscreen Switch

facebook sharing button
twitter sharing button Contact Author Karen Behnke, Juice Beauty

As an environm­entalist, I’m so happy to see the growing interest in sustaina­bility and protecting our planet and bodies from harmful chemicals. In 2005, when I started my business, it never occurred to me to use anything BUT a mineral sunblock. While we were perfecting these formulas, not much was known about chemical sunscreens. I started the company with the commitment to always find natural alternatives for every conventional chemical ingredient possible.

My ideas partially come from scouring dermatology and scientific journals and partially from observing life. Over the years, enjoying my kids on the soccer field and beaches, I watched so many parents spray and lotion their kids with chemical sunscreens. I had a hunch that these chemicals wouldn’t be great for the skin, and I also felt that inhaling all these chemical sprays couldn’t possibly be great for children’s lungs.

The Future of Sunscreen

Fast-forward to 2019 and the prestigious Journal of American Medical Association (JAMA) released an important study on May 6, 2019. The study was conducted by the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, an arm of the U.​S. Food and Drug Administ­ration (FDA). Researchers found that it took just one day of sunscreen use for one common chemical SPF ingredient to enter the bloodstream and less than seven days for all the chemical sunscreens to enter the body at levels high enough to trigger a government safety investig­ation.1 The government safety alert was due to the results showing much higher levels than current U.S. health regulation guidelines. The objective of the study was to determine whether the active ingredients of avobenzone, oxybenzone, octocrylene and ecamsule, available in commonly used sunscreens, were absorbed into the body.

(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

I had no idea that the contents of chemical sunscreens were investigated by the FDA like this, and unfortunately it doesn't surprise me. I've heard quite a bit about how chemical sunscreens aren't good for the skin or the environment. I'm glad to see that the majority of sunscreens going onto the market now are mineral sunscreens, since they're so much safer. In my experience I've also found chemical sunscreen wears off on me faster than mineral, so hopefully with so many making the switch to mineral sunscreen we'll find that our skin is now being properly protected and not sustaining nearly as much damage as used to be common, either without sunscreen or using sunscreens that did more harm than good. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

i have never tried a chemical sunscreen, or at least i dont believe i have tried it. most sunscreens i have used have been the neutrogena aerosol sprays or the ones specifically meant for the face by neutrogena. my family are not big sunscreen users, we have it but putting it on before going outside was not a priority, especially not for me until i found out the sun can make acne scarring worsen. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com yeah i didnt know the FDA looked at chemical sunscreens so much either considering they do not look into and regulate a lot of cosmetic products  

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I have recently started using a mineral sunscreen for my face, neck and hands and I love it. I got one from Ulta that has a slight tint to it so I use it as my foundation primer. Another benefit of using a mineral based sunscreen is it protects against both UVA and UVB rays and it's supposed to offer immediate protection. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

I have never heard anything bad about sunscreens until now. I had no idea about chemical sunscreens and how bad they were for us and the environment, but nowadays you really don't know whats good for you and whats not.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Ive never heard any bad things involving suncreen, only that it should be applied everyday regardless. My sister would always buy the highest dollar suncreen for her kids and i honestly used to joke her for it. I though she was just being boujee, but seeing how harsh they can be makes  me think she knew a lot more than me. I will have to start looking into a safer sunscreen with summer coming up. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I have never used a chemical sunscreen before, usually just during the summer for my body I would just use a banana boat sunscreen from Walmart and call it a day. But for my face I tend to either use Zinc or a very high SPF sunscreen. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I love mineral sunscreens over chemical sunscreens. Chemical sunscreens can be so hard on the skin. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

Yes, many people cannot wear chemical sunscreens so you need to know what to offer them in a mineral based sunscreen. There are many that are great. I like the Australian Gold tinted mineral sunscreen as it does not feel oily of break out my skin

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com 

You do have to try a few before the one you like is found. Many people don't wear any as they do not like the feel or its greasy and they break out with pimples. I just keep offering different sunscreens and read about them to make a choice for the client

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

When I first started wearing sunscreen on my face daily, (I hate admitting that this was only a year ago), I used a chemical sunscreen. It would often make my eyes burn and even cause irritation on my skin. Once I switched to using a mineral sunscreen, I didn't experience any of these adverse effects again. I used Biossance for many months and loved it! Currently, I am Super Goop Glow mineral sunscreen with the SPF of 40 and I really like it as well! It makes my skin look super dewy and provides a tint as well! 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com I have always wanted to try Super Goop's glow sunscreen and its good to hear that it does what it says its supposed to do on your skin. I remember how much I hated having chemical sunscreen put on my face as a kid because it burned so bad once it got into my eyes. I read something online that chemical sunscreen is the fast food of sunscreen while mineral is the healthier better option. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I made the switch to mineral sunscreen last year. It feels so much better on my skin rather than the chemical sunscreen. I now use mineral sunscreen on my face everyday 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I have never heard anything bad reguarding sunscreen until recently. I'm so glad that I switched over now rather than later. Some chemical sunscreens make my skin itch, but I never did anything about it.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Chemical sunscreen used to make me feel super greasy and break out, especially on my face. I noticed a huge difference in my skin when I decided to only use mineral.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

It's so hard to find a suncreen that is not greasy or makes my skin slimy. This now makes me want to be cautious about the sun screens i buy. It's so important for skin health so the harsh chemicals are a serious no for me! 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

I have always been interested in different kinds of sunscreen and trying to find the right ones for my skin. I am currently still trying different mineral sunscreens, but as my skin has changed over the years, I've had to make adjustments to what I use daily on my face for SPF. I notice that many of the formulas that I've used have been too thick or oily and end up clogging my pores. 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com Me too! I even used one that my dermatologist recommended for me and it would leave so much oil and residue on my face that I never felt clean or refreshed when wearing it.

ReplyQuote

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com chemical sunscreens can be so harsh on the skin compared to mineral, it is definitely worth the switch!

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

As a kid, chemical sunscreen was all I ever knew. It was only up until a few years ago that i started researching mineral sunscreen and its benefits. Chemical sunscreens are absorbent and can release harmful chemicals in the body. Chemical sunscreen can also be very irritating on the eyes. 

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com I'm interested in the Super Goop sunscreen, I've heard  a lot of good things about it. My main worry is a grey cast but it seems to be pretty skin-like.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!