Parasites

13 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Parasite found in undercooked meat linked with risk of rare brain cancer

The common parasite Toxoplasma gondii that people get from contaminated water and undercooked meat may be associated with a rare brain cancer.

(CNN)A common parasite people get from contaminated water and undercooked meat may be associated with rare brain cancers, researchers reported Monday.

They found evidence that people infected with Toxoplasma gondii, or T. gondii, have a higher risk of developing rare but highly fatal gliomas.
The parasite can sometimes form cysts in the brain and the inflammation associated with these cysts might be responsible, the researchers reported in the International Journal of Cancer.
A team of researchers led by epidemiologist James Hodge, of the American Cancer Society's department of population science, and Anna Coghill, of the department of cancer epidemiology at the H. Lee Moffit Cancer Center and Research Institute in Florida, looked at the association between antibodies for T. gondii in blood samples and the risk of glioma in two groups of people.
The study involved 111 individuals enrolled in the American Cancer Prevention Study-II Nutrition Cohort and 646 people listed in the Norwegian Cancer Registry.
"In both cohorts, we observed a suggestive positive association between seropositivity for T. gondii antibodies and glioma risk," the researchers wrote. The glioma associations were stronger for the people who had higher levels of T. gondii antibodies.
T. gondii is a common parasite that most commonly infects people through contaminated food or water from raw or undercooked meat from infected animals. Twenty percent to 50% of the global population have been exposed to the parasite, according to the study.

(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

Super important to cook your meats enough! I'm a very adventurous eater. I've had e. coli and salmonella before and they are no joke. But maybe that's my fault for trying food off a street cart in Mexico. At least those infections ca be cured. Getting a parasite from uncooked meat that could cause cancer is life changing. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com thats crazy you had e coli and salmonella! Thats super scary! I guess I got lucky when I tried the food in mexico. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

My husband is super good about checking if stuff is under cooked or expired. Once we were in Costa Rica and we bought meat that we thought looked fine and as soon as we opened it,it smelled so gross. During that same trip we both got sick from eating under cooked fish. Now thats what we get for trying to catch and eat our own fish when we clearly have no idea how to do so. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com 

E-coli and salmonella sounds so awful, definitely makes you do a double take when it comes to trying different foods prepared differently in other countries. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

Having a parasite in its own is scary but the fact that we can easily get sick from undercooked meat and dirty water is a reason to think before trying something prepared differently or before going into a lake with dirty water. I would love to travel out of the country but considering countries and cultures prepare things differently and have a differently quality of water than us, it is worth being careful when being adventurous. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com 

I cook all meat and chicken to the temperatures they are stated to be safe to eat. Sometimes I cook them a little more. The thought of getting parasites especially pork is scary to me. My husband was served slightly cooked chicken at a local well known establishment. I think the cook put the wrong piece on his plate. It was terrible looking as he cut into it and all we saw was raw meat. 

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

It is very important to check your meat when cooking or even going out to dinner. my mom got a cooked rotisserie chicken one time from the store and she went to go cut it and it was raw. She was very disturbed. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I always use one of those meat thermometers when cooking meat. My parents used to tell me it is also important to handle meat properly when prepping it and always wash your hands to be safe before and after handling raw meat so bacteria doesn't spread

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com My roommates dad had gotten salmonella at one point and he said it was absolutely awful. It makes you want to be cautious about how your food is cooked before eating it.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com My boyfriend and his best friend go hunting and fishing all the time and they love to cook what they bring home. luckily they are always pretty cautious about it but sometimes I get a little nervous.

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

Expensive doesn't always mean good, but having a good and reputable meat source is very important to help prevent situations like these. Using a meat thermometer can also be very helpful with reducing worry and risk, and as you use it you will learn which temperatures you prefer.

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com It is definitely risky to try food in different countries, only because your body may not be used to a specific style of cooking or preparation. There are also different regulations on food that vary from country to country.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!