Clear all

Executive Function

36 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The official definition of executive function is: a set of processes that all have to do with managing oneself and one’s resources in order to achieve a goal.  It is an umbrella term for the neurologically-based skills involving mental control and self-regulation.  Think of executive function as the “conductor” of all cognitive skills,  enabling us to manage our lives, responsibilities, and projects. These skills include:

1. Inhibition – The ability to stop one’s own behavior at the appropriate time.
  2. Shift – The ability to move freely from one situation to another and to think flexibly in order to respond appropriately to the situation.
  3. Emotional Control – The ability to modulate emotional responses by bringing rational thought to bear on feelings.
  4. Initiation – The ability to begin a task or activity and to independently generate ideas, responses, or problem-solving strategies.
  5. Working memory – The capacity to hold information in mind for the purpose of completing a task.
  6. Planning/Organization – The ability to manage current and future- oriented task demands.
  7. Organization of Materials – The ability to impose order on work, play, and storage spaces.
  8. Self-Monitoring – The ability to monitor one’s own performance and to measure it against some standard of what is needed or expected.

Looking at this list, it’s obvious that self-regulation is a critical competency of executive function in two major ways: social-emotional (appropriate behavior in a social context) and cognitive (focus, academic learning, problem-solving).   When children are self-regulating, they can both stop or start doing something, even if they don’t want to. They can delay gratification; they can think ahead; they can control impulses and consider options.  It is crucial that children learn basic self-regulation in early childhood because research indicates that “children who cannot control their emotions at age four are unlikely to be able to follow the teachers’ directions at age six, and will not become reflective learners in middle and high school.” ( http://toolsofthemind.org/learn/resources/research-by-tools/ )

Breathing Techniques for Executive Function

Breathing techniques offer easy-to-practice activities for building basic self-regulation in the body of youngsters and in your classroom.  With something specific to do to support themselves when confronted with transitions, sharing, waiting, and re-directing impulses, children are better able to navigate those challenges.  As they experience how specific ways of breathing enable them to tolerate feelings and manage impulses, they start to embody greater control.  This process strengthens executive function, which builds self-esteem and self-trust.

Help kids learn how to count on their inner wisdom and intelligence.  Make time for self-reflection and self-care throughout the day.  Then introduce and practice breathing exercises regularly as a way to de-stress, recharge, and reset to to an optimal mind-body state.  Below are 2 options that offer simple, effective tools for healthy self-regulation.

Fish Breath

is a fun technique that is sure to make kids laugh and not take things too seriously. Because it requires make a silly blooping sound on the exhale, like a fish, it disperses tension, releases frustration, and busts the stress of over-efforting.  Humor and playfulness are keys to accessing executive function and creative thinking.  Physiologically, when you inhale deeply, you pull in lots of oxygen needed by our brain and body to stay relaxed and alert.  When you exhale completely, you make room for more which helps us release toxins and recharge.

Directions:

executive function breathing exerciseTake a deep breath through your nose,
Fill up your cheeks with that breath and …
Push it all out through your mouth while saying…
Bloop, bloop, bloop, bloop, blooooooop.

And again, deep breath in your nose…
Fill up your cheeks with it and …
Exhale it out your mouth …

Bloop, bloop, bloop, bloop, blooooooop.

Ocean Breath

activates the midline of the body, connects both hemispheres of the brain, and relieves tension in the eye muscles. As they inhale, direct children to place one hand on their belly button and the other on their sternum, like giving themselves a hug.  Then, as they exhale, have them move just their eyes (head remains still) slowly from right to left and back again 2-4 times.  This movement facilitates improved eye teaming skills and cross-motor coordination.

Overall, Ocean Breath slows, calms, and centers both mind and body, which will enable children to access executive function.
Directions

Self regulation anxiety fearPlace one hand on your belly button,
place the other in the middle of your chest.
Press your thumb and forefinger into the
soft tissue points beneath your collar bones
on either side of your sternum. Inhale fully
through your nose and then, as you exhale
slowly, move just your eyes from right to left.

Member Admin
Topic starter  

Some people today can't self regulate their emotions. Tasks that would be seen as ordinary are out of some peoples reach. Initiation is not even something some people talk about. As in our industry there is no room for non starters or just sitting around. There is always something to do in any job but we really need to be proactive with priorities of setting up the room, making sure we have a game plan and know how to execute ideas on our own.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

One of the benefits of my husbands job is having access to a nutritionist, personal trainer, family help and even a meditation coach. He has for a long time been a fan of meditating and doing breathing activities. For some reason I myself have always felt a little silly doing them personally, although I do enjoy yoga. Which at first I also felt silly doing and ended up really loving the full body experience. Reading this article just reminds me that I really should take my husbands advice on learning breathing exercises. I know it can help you mentally with things like anxiety, but I have also done reading on how it can help you for something like child birth and the recovery after. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com

Meditating helps SO much and people really don't understand the benefits until they actually do it.

ReplyQuote

I tried the ocean breathing behind the bar at brunch today and it helped so much. If it can calm me down behind the bar with the brunch crowd ringing in all these mimosas and bloody mary's then it can calm me down anywhere.

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

it is so important to have access to tools that help us maintain control of ouselves and how we react to things. not only will these benefit the relationships around us but this allows us to protect our inner peace and not expend to much energy on something that does not help us attain whatever goal we are after. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com it's great that this technique could help you. i will have to keep these breathing techniques in mind the next time i am stressed out about something

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com

That's great that he has the benefits of all those resources. I would love that. I had a personal trainer for a while a few years ago and it really helped me to stay on point. I went 2 times a week and to the YMCA swimming 3 times a week. I then had a terrible death in my family and I never went back to anything. I still have not. 

I do enjoy Yoga and Tai Chi. I am going to go back to yoga this spring

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I also have a really hard time doing breathing exersizes, but unlike you, i never got into it and i still dont quite enjoy it. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

I have always been pretty good at keeping my cool. I take a medication that effects my moods and I have to actually make an effort not to freak out and over react some times. I have really wanted to get into yoga and meditation, but my mind just races too much and I feel like im doing the complete opposite of what im supposed to be doing. I consider myself lucky to have access to things like yoga, the gym, a quiet back yard, but some people have no idea what they could be doing differently to avoid stress. 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com

I want to get more into joining a gym and working out more. I also take medication that alters my mood and I would like to get off of it one day, but I think I need to find a routine that works for me first

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I have been a big fan of breathing exercises when im at work and things arent quite going my way. Its a good stress reliever in a pinch when you dont have any other choice but to just keep going. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I too felt silly at first but I learned it doesn't need to be this extreme thing like they show you in the videos . it can be done somewhat silently. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Breathing excersises are a great way to relieve stress and any worries you are having. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com If your every in a situatation where you can do any thing but breathe like work these breathing exersise would help prefectly.

ReplyQuote

@jaydensugickiectskin-com I totally agree with you. Taking a deep breathe instead of lashing out or doing something stupid can really help or even save situations and relantionships.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I tried meditating one time and I actually got anxiety from it as silly as it sounds because it made me very aware of how I was breathing. However I try to do random short breathing exercises throughout the day to try and keep myself from getting anxiety attacks. 

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

I have been doing breathing exercises lately. I seem to get anxiety with being in large crowds since covid and sometimes while driving. Breathing seems the easiest way to help me especially since we have mask on nobody can tell lol.

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com They definately come in handy in times when you cant use other resources availiable. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com That has also happened to me a couple of times. It was like a started repanicing because i felt like i wasnt breathing enough for my body. Its kind of hard to explain

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Ever since I was younger I've always had anxiety and sometimes it's hard to get under control. My dad told me to try breathing exercises or meditation. Breathing exercises work the best for me.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com I feel the exact same way about meditation. I tried it one time and I could not focus at all.

ReplyQuote

Breathing excersises help with any stress or anxiety. They can be really helpful if you do them alot.

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Ive never done meditation because i am that person who cant sit still and listen to my breathing. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com oh yes if i ever get freaked out or am in a rush in traffic i just have to tell my self to breathe and calm down.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I believe the ability to self regulate is a very important skill that everyone should possess. It can be especially useful to those with anxiety, or other mental illnesses, but honestly self regulation is beneficial to the neurotypical as well. Everyone faces stress and daily struggles that impact their life and being able to step away and do a breathing exercise then come back to it with a refreshed mind can make all the difference. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I believe the ability to self regulate is a very important skill that everyone should possess. It can be especially useful to those with anxiety, or other mental illnesses, but honestly self regulation is beneficial to the neurotypical as well. Everyone faces stress and daily struggles that impact their life and being able to step away and do a breathing exercise then come back to it with a refreshed mind can make all the difference. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I agree that yoga is a great tool for stress relief, and I think a lot of people underestimate it. I hope you do try and enjoy the breathing exercises, I find a lot of peace in them.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I agree that yoga is a great tool for stress relief, and I think a lot of people underestimate it. I hope you do try and enjoy the breathing exercises, I find a lot of peace in them.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@jaydensugickiectskin-com I couldn't agree more. Focusing on your own inner peace benefits everyone around you just as much as it benefits you.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!