Clear all

Self Care

58 Posts
20 Users
2 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What is self-care? The definition varies depending on who you’re asking, but essentially it means taking care of yourself physically and mentally. In recent years the concept of mental health has come to the forefront of societal conversation, so much so that May has been designated Mental Health Awareness Month. Dedicating a month to awareness and support for those living with mental illness is a great step in the right direction, still, it is not enough. The stigma associated with mental health can still halt conversation and make people feel embarrassed for talking about their struggle.

How prevalent is mental illness? Over 45 million adults live with mental illness. According to the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI), half of all chronic mental illness begins by age 14. While these numbers are alarming, they shed insight into where more work can be done. The fact that mental illness often begins in childhood emphasizes the critical need for social-emotional education (SEL) to begin at a young age. As early as February 2011 research cited in the publication Child Development shows that when children are taught emotional intelligence, stress management, self-compassion, and empathy (all aspects of self-care), they demonstrate significantly improved resilience, affecting social and emotional skills, attitudes, behavior, and an academic performance change that reflected an 11‐percentile‐point gain in achievement. ( https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-8624.2010.01564.x ). “The findings add to the growing empirical evidence regarding the positive impact of SEL programs. Policy makers, educators, and the public can contribute to healthy development of children by supporting the incorporation of evidence‐based SEL programming into standard educational practice.” (Durlak, Weissberg) The positive impact imparted by the use of self-care skills carries on into adulthood and lays a foundation for not just happier adults, but also a healthier society.

Discuss and Educate

First things first, in order to have productive conversation and break stigma we must be better educated. What is mental health? This may seem like an obvious question, but ask yourself and ask your kids. You’ll be surprised by the different perspectives. By definition, mental health encompasses our emotional, psychological, and social well-being. Mental health disorders are disturbingly common among children and adolescents and with the most familiar mental health issues being: Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), Anxiety, Depression, and Suicide.

Fortunately, many informative mental health materials can be found online. This is a great place to start to learn about mental-emotional health. Educate yourself first and then include the children in your life by modeling and sharing with them what you’ve learned and what you are doing as a result to better self-care mentally, emotionally and physically. Encourage them to be active, eat well, and talk about how they feel. Make sure they learn tools and techniques that support them in calming, managing, and focusing themselves in healthy ways when events in their life weigh so heavily that they, or you, fear they are tipping. Stress, fear, frustration, and the subsequent anger and anguish are real, regardless if from an outside perspective the emotions seem unwarranted. Get dug in, it’s important. Find out what your child’s school is doing to teach and support SEL. Organizations such as SEL4CA.org and CASEL.org can help you.

Starting a conversation with your kids about mental health is challenging, look for discussion guides, podcasts, and even comic books, that can give you questions to get the ball rolling, or at the least give you questions to ask your doctor about a child who may be at risk. These resources can also suggest activities that demonstrate to your child how their thoughts and emotions are linked and that can explain conditions in terms children will understand. Becoming more comfortable with these kinds of conversations will make kids and teens feel less isolated and will encourage them to share their true feelings.

You can read more about the benefits of mental health here.

Encourage Physical Activity

It’s widely known that exercise is good for your physical health, but it’s also one of the best ways to improve your mental health. It’s a great outlet to reduce stress, exude excess energy, and even give yourself a healthy sense of well-being. Those who exercise are more likely to feel more energetic throughout the day, get a better night’s rest, relax and be more positive. Exercise has been known to aid in the treatment of depression, anxiety, stress, ADHD and trauma.

The best physical activities are ones that include friends and family. Whether it’s taking the dog for a walk every day, joining a kickball league or swimming in the pool, any chance to get out and get moving will have significant health effects. When you cannot get outside, play-along videos are a fun and bonding way to exercise inside at home or at school. From the many exercise videos there are to choose from, the one for young children, ages 3-9 years that we want to highlight is the, Movement & Mindfulness Bundle from Move with Me Yoga Adventures. It has 9 yoga videos that combine acting out stories with movement and learning discrete, specific health & self-regulation skills that can be reinforced during your daily life through the use of physical flash cards. The skills taught are not just for kids, they can be used by adults and children alike.

Embrace the Arts

Having a creative outlet is another essential component of self- care. There are instances in which words do not suffice, or perhaps they’re too hard to say. Finding a creative way to express feelings is a healthy alternative to keeping them internalized. Painting, drawing, or coloring are great ways to depict feelings through colors and portraying scenes. Writing, playing, and listening to music is another outlet. Finding music that relates to the way you’re feeling can be a release of emotion. Music can also translate into a feeling of camaraderie. When people are expressing the same feelings you feel, you’re more likely to open up.

For you and your children’s mental health, it’s essential to stop the cycle of stress and the accompanying emotions of helplessness and anger. It is time to start prioritizing your well-being by taking time throughout the day to self-care. When you take the time to learn the skills you need, that intention and action translates to positive growth for your family as well. “Be the change you wish to see in the world.” – Mahatma Gandhi

Member Admin
Topic starter  

I am happy to see that threw the years Mental Health has been studied and more has more has been learned about this disease. It affects more people than we think and the stigma is people finding out and thinking they are crazy. 

Education children is a great idea. The more they know they can adjust and want to  learn more. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

I think its very important to educate children on mental illness. Everyone should know that if they feel a certain way that they are not alone and they dont need to be afraid to ask for help. Its also good for a child to understand why someone might feel the way they feel. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

I'm a big advocate for self care. I need my me days where I can not talk to anyone and recharge for the week. I wish mental health was talked about sooner, I think my life would have been a little different if I knew how I was feeling was diagnosable 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com

Children are learning to speak up and tell people how they feel and it's a great thing! No matter what age you are, you deserve to know why you feel the way that you do about certain things that happen in your life. There is nothing wrong with asking for help when you need it and everyone should know that

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com

Mental illness is so out of control in this area. I see kids taking all kinds of meds to get along in life. Pills are not always a good or best answer. Counseling is a good idea but the child has to like and trust the person you choose. I've read several articles that diet plays a big factor with children and how they interact with others.

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

self-care is so important in achieving and maintaining good or stable mental health. i think that when we consider things like being physical or making ourselves a meal or washing the laundry or tidying your room can be seen as self care and not just doing a face mask and watching netflix, even though those are great self-care avenues that are just as efficient. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com talking about mental health at a young age is definitely something i think should be more normalized. kids have these big feeling and dont know what to do with them and that can cause issues for them to have to work on in their adulthod. Giving them the tools necessary to grow into emotinally intelligent adults that know how to take care of their mental health is so important 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with you Amanda. Mental health causes many problems for children. There are many stresses children have that I never even thought about as a kid. Peer pressure was bad for me and I was called all sorts of names because I was a little overweight. I did not want to go to school. It started in 6th grade and has affected me thru adulthood. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I agree seeing kids at such a young age being prescribed all these medications for their mental health has been personally something hard for me to wrap my head around. They're being told just take this and you'll be fine, while not being taught other things that can make a difference. Like exercising, diet, and possibly finding a new creative outlet. Take your pills is a great documentary that really brings this to light. It's about kids with ADHD who were prescribed adderall at an extremely young age and talks about how dangerous the drug is and its side effects. Kids at age 14 or younger are having to be weaned off the medication otherwise they would have withdrawals. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

I really found my own importance of mental health on my own after going through something difficult in life. After about a year of crying almost everyday I finally woke up one morning and asked myself "Why are you doing this? How is this making the situation better?". And after that day I decided I was never going to let something affect me in that way ever again. I found riding my bike is one of my favorite outlets of self mental health. I'm able to just put my music on and just listen and check out for that time. Thankfully I found something that is soothing to me and I can also enjoy cardio at the same time. 

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com

I changed my diet up when I was told I was too young for antidepressants when I was a teenage. The main thing I did was drink a lot more water and stopped going out for burritos every lunch. It made me feel clearer and like I could think better and that made me do better in school

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

Changing my diet and getting my peloton has been amazing for my mental health! I have a meal prep lady that creates meals for me based on my needs and it really is amazing the positive effects that alone had on me. I like to ride my bike at least 20 minutes a day. I will try to instill these healthy habits in my son luka and show him how important it is to eat healthy and stay active and how it will contribute to a better way of life. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Many people suffer with mental illness and are afraid to get help. It has been a subject that was not brought up years ago. If some people knew you were going to a Doctor for help it was assumed you were crazy. I remember growing up and hearing people call it a nervous disorder or that the person wasn't right in the head. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Mental health days or self care days are important for everyone to have. Sometimes you just need to escape your day-to-day routine and do something for yourself or do absolutely nothing all day. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I agree. Children should know about mental health early on to be aware of what it is and how to manage it 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Growing up I had family that didnt understand what certain mental disorders were and figured it came with the "new generation". I believe that taking one day to yourself is more beneficial to your mental health. Who cares what people that that you decided to stay home or stay in your pajamas, I really do believe that taking a day for yourself is so important and helps you from getting burnt out. It reminds you the next day to get back up and get moving again and usually you feel better after you have done it. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Self care has so many different meanings to different people. I think taking the time to know when your body needs help and i little extra TLC is very important whether it be mentally or physically. I am a huge advocate for self care, and having "me" time. I am a social butterfly but in reality that can be very draining, and i often times have to drag myself out of social situations to take time for myself. I find that emotionally unstable people are drawn to me, and i almost always feel as though i have the obligation to "fix" them. Ive only recently learned this isnt realistic and have had to make alot of lifestyle changes. Self care, is just that , taking CARE of yourSELF not others.

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com I agree, sometimes sitting home to collect yourself is the best medicine. Sometimes going out and faking it does a whole lot more damage to not only your mental but to your outside relationships. 

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com I completely agree that teaching children about their emotions and mental health is extremely important. Being an adult seeing other adults who hide and bottle their emotions show how it can effect your adult life if not taught young. I know people who are terrified to cry , or even speak on their emotions, and when they finally explode its in negative way. 

ReplyQuote
(@tristasensemaniectskin-com)

I think this is so important to have "Me time" or self care times or self care days. Whether is it just meditating, doing yoga, talking to a therapist or going to get a mani/pedi or taking a painting class. I definitely agree with "embracing the arts" and that having that creative outlet can be so helpful! I also don't think its one size fits all when it comes to adults or kids. Sometimes you have to find out what works for you. 

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com I also did this after battling postpartum depression and even more so postpartum anxiety. I upped my water intake and got on meal plan. I lost twenty pounds which is great and helped with my confidence after having three babies but, more importantly, It made me feel so much better, energetic and motivated. I feel like everything in my life changed for the better. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I totally agree with this! I have these down days sometimes where I feel like I really just cant handle the weight of the world that day and I just stay in and doing nothing. But usually my mental health days consist of shopping. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I totally agree! It is so important to teach kids about mental health and to help them understand what theyre feeling and how to communicate that to others. I think it important for them to be able to communicate that to us as parents, teachers and caregivers and I also think it is extremely important for the children to know how to communicate their feelings to their peers and feel comfortable doing so. 

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I think self care is very important. I think self care and mental health days go hand in hand. I tend to go and go until I get burnt out. I can now tell when I am starting to get burnt out and can take a step back and recharge, but use to I would keep going until I felt so overwhelmed I would break down. I also think teaching children at a younger age is very important. Instead of having to figure it out and go through all of these emotions not knowing what to do teaching them ways to navigate these feelings and teaching them coping skills is very important.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I often find myself trying to help others with different things and putting my feelings or needs to the side. I am an introvert and in certain situations am very quiet until you get to know me. I find myself not responding to messages or going out to social event because I just don't want to talk to anyone.

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I agree 100%. If I need a self care day the first thing I want to do is go get a pedi or go and walk my dog. I love drinking a glass of wine and having my feet and legs massaged.

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

I think its an awesome idea to start to teach children early on about mental health. It will give them a good idea on how to understand it and treat it. Giving mental health a month is a great idea for people that struggle with it know that there not alone.

ReplyQuote

@tristasensemaniectskin-com I agree with you. Who doesnt love a "me" day whether its a nap, a massage, or going on a walk. Kids learn in different ways so teaching kids about mental health will probably not work for all children but it can deffinatly help. 

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com thats terrible that people would attack people for trying to seek help for this illness. It can be embarassing i see that but there is no need in making fun or someone for having an illness.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!