Sunscreen Use

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Coppertone Suntan Lotion

The smell of Coppertone suntan lotion still sends me back in time. It’s one of those aromas you never forget. Endless summer days at the beach & numerous re-applications of Coppertone were part of life. If I lay on the beach & close my eyes, I can still smell it today. The iconic girl with the dog pulling her pants down was in every chemist shop & in the late 60’s, there weren’t many other brands. It seemed everyone had a bottle of this stuff in their bathroom cabinet and lots of us still have today.

Sunscreen might have been around longer than most of us realize. The first sunscreen appeared on the market in the late 1960s. Its purpose was to attempt to minimize the effects of ultraviolet light from the sun. It wasn’t until around 1972, however, that labeling of the sun protection factor, or SPF, was introduced in the U.S. These sunscreens, which were improved and modified over time, were designed to block ultraviolet-B radiation.

Sources vary as to who invented the first sunscreen, but most acknowledge that Milton Blake, a South Australian chemist, experimented unsuccessfully with creating a sunburn cream in the early 1930s. Even others attribute the invention of sunscreen to Benjamin Green. In the 1940s, Green, a Miami, Florida physician, prepared a red jellylike substance in his own kitchen and then tried its effectiveness on his own bald head. Green continued to experiment with his sunscreen formula until he created what became known as Coppertone suntan cream in 1944. Coppertone suntan cream, scented with jasmine, was the first consumer mass-produced sunscreen product.is

Coppertone quick tanning lotions (QT) was also introduced in the 60’s. Tan indoors as well as outdoors in only 4-5 hours. This stuff undoubtedly made you turn a brilliant shade of orange! Who knows what the ingredients were!
Watch a 1960’s Coppertone Quick Tan Commercial. Very cheesy!

(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

It's very interesting to consider how recent of a development sunscreen really is in society. We learn more all the time about sun protection and the effects of sun exposure, and it makes me curious about how we can all expect our skin to age as new sunscreen formulations continue to come onto the market and information about the importance of wearing sunscreen every day spreads. Maybe we'll learn more than we already know about how protecting our skin from the sun can benefit us in the future.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

I love that the first idea of sun screen protection came from a bald man in Miami in 1944. Close by to an area where I used to live there was still a giant billboard that was a Coppertone advertisement. It was an vintage looking one very similar looking to the picture in this article. Last I knew it was there and I'm very curious now to know if it still is there. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com Yes I agree I'm surprised that the first main stream sunscreen to reach the shelves was in 1960. I do know my family, mom aunt and Grandmother included all talked about how they used to bake in the sun with their baby oil on. I would say they all also wish that they did know sooner about the importance of sunscreen daily.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I remember seeing Coppertone and although I loved the fragrance I figured I would use oil to tan. Through the years of learning about skin cancer and burning myself I would only use Coppertone because it smelled good. 

I did not realize it was created so long ago. I do remember using QT self tanner once. It turned me a bright orange and I streaked. I threw it away

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Coppertone has an amazing smell! I definitely used to use the tanning product they had and I seriously regret any time I've ever laid out in the sun especially without sunscreen!!

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!