Time for a Change?

22 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

It's time to end the 40-hour workweek

(CNN Business)Editor's Note: A version of this story appeared in CNN Business' Nightcap newsletter. To get it in your inbox, sign up for free, here.

Welcome back to a four-day workweek, aka what every week should be. Let's get into it.  

THE HANGOVER

If you're feeling a little sluggish today after the long weekend, you're not alone. Wall Street spent last week partying, notching back-to-back records. But today, it seemed like traders stumbled into work in sunglasses, chugging black coffee as they tried to stay awake at their Bloomberg terminals.   
The Dow tumbled 209 points Tuesday, after ending last week at an all-time high. The S&P 500, fresh off its seven-record closing streak, fell 0.2%.  

WORK LESS 

The latest from the Department of Why Is This Still A Thing?: 40-hour workweeks are pointless and even harmful. And scientists are proving it. 
THE NEWS 
Researchers in Iceland are calling trials of a shorter workweeks an "overwhelming success," after productivity improved and workers reported feeling less burned out.  
In two large trials between 2015 and 2019, public sector employees were asked to reduce their work time by about five hours a week, without reducing their pay. To the surprise of literally no one, the workers' wellbeing improved dramatically.  
After shortening the workweek to about 35 or 36 hours, instead of 40, researchers found that productivity and services stayed the same or improved across the majority of workplaces.

(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

I've seen a lot of discussion online lately about the idea of shortened work weeks. I've also seen a lot of this being related to the service and retail industry being understaffed and many workers being overworked because of it. I think it seems like Covid has provided a real wake up call to a lot of people about how hard it is to sustain 40 hour work weeks. There have been a lot of changes in our society already as a result of Covid and I think if there was ever a time for companies to make the decision to change how work weeks are scheduled it's now. The research is already there to support that it's best for both the employees and the company as a whole.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

I have been seeing more and more about this topic lately. I actually had a conversation with my cousin about not having to be in the office the typical 5 days a week. She works for an insurance company and she believes that she only needs to go into the actual office about 3 days a week at most, and just do the majority of her work from home. I'm still indifferent about it all. I think it's nice to get out of the house and have a regular routine. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

a shortened work week is exactly what we need and Covid has opened up a lot of peoples eyes to how they are overwork, underpaid and just unhappy with their work life. our jobs do not have to be the center of our entire adult lives and seeing how easy it is to work from home and still get everything done has opened a lot of people's eyes to that.going back to a 5 day work week is going to be hard for a lot of people

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com i think its necessary to get out the house and have some sort of routine as well i just dont think that routine has to be confined to the restraints of going to work 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

A shortened work week has been a topic of conversation for quiet some time now. I think it would completely change the working class's life. Two days to recuperate is not enough after working five days straight and having little to no life after work as well. Working a 9-5 , you wake up, go to work, come home, by the time youre home its almost 6 , cooking dinner, cleaning up after dinner by then its almost 8 , and you cant stay up too late or else you'll be exhausted getting up the next morning, it's a vicious cycle. Once saturday rolls around all you want to do is catch up on sleep but then sleeping away the weekend leaves no time to catch up on house hold chores, a social life, or hobbies. 

ReplyQuote

Do i think a change will happen overnight ? No, but with the pandemic causing a lot of people to be working from home, I think it has opened the eyes of millions. Although working fewer days a week may be far fetched in our economy, companies allowing their employees to work from home a few days a week could be very beneficial. 

ReplyQuote

@jaydensugickiectskin-com I agree that it shouldn't and cant realistically be the center of our lives. Also in actuality i personally dont work the whole 8 hours. Sure im at my desk but after a few hours im done with all of my work for the day. If we went home early everyday or had a shortened work week, gaurenteed all of my work would still be done. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I think a shorter work week sounds live amazing thing to start. I have always been about a work/life balance and I think it is so important to have time to yourself. Most times after working an 8 hour + day you come home, have to start dinner, shower, do some chores and it's already time for bed. Shorter hours would give people more time to spend with their loved ones and you wouldn't feel so rushed to come home and get things done. 

ReplyQuote

@jaydensugickiectskin-com I agree I think that covid really opened peoples eyes. Our jobs should not be the center of everything we do because life is so short. You should be able to enjoy it and not think about work constantly. 

ReplyQuote

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I do agree that I personally couldn't work from home because I need to get out plus I don't want my house to be associated with work but I do think they should shorten work weeks!

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

I do like the idea of working form home. I can sit and work for hours and I really get quite a lot done. I can see where it could be a problem for those that need a structured environment to stay motivated

This post was modified 2 years ago by deborahwaters@iectskin.com

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

During COVID I completed a few online courses. I enjoyed working on the studies at home. I realize I could not have attended these programs in person. I worked on a window of time set aside for only school so it did not seem like it was everyday

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

I believe that 40 hr work weeks should be lessened. I think its a shame that people are working that long work week and still arent even able to afford some of their basic necessities. I also think working from home will also lessen peoples expenses. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com It totally wont start happening fast but i do believe the pandemic has opened eyes to see working from home in certain jobs is more convient and can save the companies money. 

ReplyQuote

@jaydensugickiectskin-com Covid has shown how much people are overworked and underpaid. Also working from home has shown the people how much we spend in gas and saved from not having to eat out for lunch and saved in not having to buy work clothes

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

I think a 40 hour work week or how ever how many hours you work should be up to you. If you work 40 hours or more you should be obligated to work less hours a week even if you do a couple at home. It can help your brain more if you get to rest more often instead of trying to stay alive at 8am after a long weekend.

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I agree that some people work way to hard and dont get paid for what they do. If you work 40 hours a week at any job they should up your pay.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com working from home is great because you can just sit on your couch and work at your own pace.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

I agree with the article, shortening the work week is an excellent idea, in my personal opinion the 40 hour work life is not for everyone, this would boost productivity and the health of employees. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com exactly, since the pandemic my mother started working from home and never stopped. She loves her flexible work life.

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com It saves people time and money on gas, and other expenses. It's great for parents who have small children, a busy home life, and more.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!