6 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Magnesium Overdose

Was this helpful?

What is magnesium overdose?

Magnesium overdose is an excess of magnesium in the body. Magnesium is an essential mineral that helps muscles function and maintain energy. In the absence of kidney disease, your body naturally removes excess magnesium. A magnesium overdose, also called magnesium toxicity or hypermagnesemia, generally occurs when magnesium is ingested in large quantities in the form of a supplement, either as a pill or a liquid. It is very rare to experience a magnesium overdose by consuming foods that have naturally occurring magnesium in them, such as fruits and vegetables or nuts and whole grains.

Magnesium is commonly found in over-the-counter medications. It is often used as a laxative, so diarrhea after taking a magnesium-based laxative can be a mild symptom of magnesium overdose. Antacids also contain magnesium. A mild magnesium overdose is usually accompanied by temporary diarrhea and nausea.

People who have impaired kidney function are at the greatest risk for magnesium overdose. Even a moderate magnesium overdose may cause a drop in blood pressure in those with kidney disease. Other possible serious symptoms include difficulty breathing, muscle weakness, and mental confusion. Serious cases of magnesium overdose may cause cardiac arrest.

Seek immediate medical care (call 911) for serious symptoms of a magnesium overdose, including severe abdominal, pelvic, or lower back pain; chest pain or pressure; confusion or loss of consciousness for even a brief moment; rapid heart rate (tachycardia); and shortness of breath.

What are the symptoms of magnesium overdose?

A mild magnesium overdose is usually accompanied by temporary diarrhea and nausea. Moderate or severe magnesium overdose can be serious and possibly life threatening.

Symptoms of magnesium overdose

Magnesium overdose most commonly produces diarrhea. Other symptoms are related to a drop in blood pressure that may occur with severe overdose. Examples of symptoms of magnesium overdose include:

Serious symptoms that might indicate a life-threatening condition

In some cases, a magnesium overdose can be life threatening. Seek immediate medical care (call 911) if you, or someone you are with, have any of these life-threatening symptoms including:

• Abdominal, pelvic, or lower back pain that can be severe

• Balance problems, difficulty walking, and falls

• Chest pain or pressure

• Confusion or loss of consciousness for even a brief moment

• Difficulty breathing or rapid breathing

• Gradual difficulty walking and speaking, memory loss, tingling or weakness of extremities

• Irregular heartbeat (arrhythmias)

What causes magnesium overdose?

Your body naturally removes excess magnesium when the kidneys are functioning normally. A magnesium overdose generally occurs when magnesium is ingested in large quantities in the form of a supplement. It is very rare to experience a magnesium overdose by consuming foods that have naturally occurring magnesium in them.

What are the risk factors for magnesium overdose?

A number of factors increase the risk of developing magnesium overdose. Not all people with risk factors will get magnesium overdose. Risk factors for magnesium overdose include:

• Certain kidney diseases
  • Excess magnesium ingestion

Reducing your risk of magnesium overdose

Always consult with your health care provider before taking any form of magnesium-based supplements or medications. You may be able to lower your risk of magnesium overdose by:

• Avoiding magnesium-based antacids, particularly if you have kidney disease
  • Avoiding magnesium-based laxatives, particularly if you have kidney disease
  • Following the recommended dosages for magnesium supplements

How is magnesium overdose treated?

Treatment for magnesium overdose will vary depending on the severity of the overdose. In an emergency setting, magnesium overdose treatment may include:

• Artificial breathing support
  • Injection of calcium gluconate or calcium chloride
  • Intravenous fluids
  • Renal dialysis
  • Stomach pumping (gastric lavage)

For mild magnesium overdose, your health care provider may recommend that you stop taking over-the-counter laxatives, antacids, or magnesium supplements. Your health care provider may also order diagnostic tests to determine whether you have any underlying diseases, such as impaired kidney function, that are causing magnesium overdose.

What are the potential complications of magnesium overdose?

Complications of untreated or poorly controlled magnesium overdose can be serious, even life threatening in some cases. Complications of magnesium overdose include:

• Cardiac arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats)
  • Difficulty performing daily tasks
  • Impaired balance and coordination
  • Respiratory failure and respiratory arrest

(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

It's very concerning to hear how dangerous ingesting too much magnesium can be. I think a lot of people take their vitamins and supplements very casually, and I would imagine this causes a lot of overdoses on supplements that people thought made very little difference in dosage amounts. This is another reason why it is so important to monitor your usage of any and all supplements and medications you take.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes Delaney, there are serious consequences when using some vitamins and mineral supplements. If you are taking any be sure to check with your Doctor or a trained nutritionist. There are ads for all kinds of supplements but what is good for the needs of one person may not be for another. 

For instance if a person has to take medications for a disorder or disease too much apple cider vinegar in liquid or pill form is dangerous as it strips some of the medication the person is taking. This can have many unwanted side affects.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes Delaney, there are serious consequences when using some vitamins and mineral supplements. If you are taking any be sure to check with your Doctor or a trained nutritionist. There are ads for all kinds of supplements but what is good for the needs of one person may not be for another. 

For instance if a person has to take medications for a disorder or disease too much apple cider vinegar in liquid or pill form is dangerous as it strips some of the medication the person is taking. This can have many unwanted side affects.

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

I currently am a technician at Fast Fit Body Sculpting, and Magnesium Citrate is what we have clients take when they enroll in the program. Though we are not medical providers, we are trained to notice and advise clients while they are taking this. The reason why we have client's take this form of Magnesium is because it help with a "watery flush" in the morning. We want this because it helps the body detox and flush out the toxins that were in their fat cells. We carefully monitor how many they are taking, and how they are doing with it. We do have clients with special medical concerns that do not take it due to different medical issues. Overall, it is safe if used properly.

I do agree that people often take supplements without knowing what they are actually doing to their bodies. It is important to fully know what you are putting into your body, and how it effects you.

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

That is very interesting and important information I think a lot of people should be aware of especially if taking vitamins and other prescribed medications along with it. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com That is interesting I never new magnesium also can work as a watery flush to help detox our body.   

ReplyQuote
(@skillsbook)

@marlimartiniectskin-com For some with eating disorders this could be abused. It is called laxative bulimia and it is where someone is addicted to taking laxatives to loose weight. 

I didn't know magnesium sulfate(epsom salt) was used as a laxative because I use it for baths. I did try it to see what it taste like, very gross, can't imagine having to drink it. 

ReplyQuote
(@skillsbook)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com There are different types of magnesium used for different things. I wonder if people have this issue if they drink too many electrolyte drinks and other things people may not know it is in. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com 

Debbie, I had no idea that magnesium even was a form of laxative. I always heard it was great to take for sore joint muscles. I find it interesting that people can overdose on magnesium and therefore have a magnesium overdose but considering I did not know it was a form of laxative before reading this, im sure many people do not know. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!