Choosing Red Lipstick

38 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

How to Choose Our Best Red Lipstick for Your Skin Tone

How to choose, apply and wear red lipstick, whether it’s a cream, gloss, or matte red lipstick, with confidence.

Bold red lipstick and deep red lipstick for many different skin tones.

A bold red lipstick is a timeless classic that can be paired with so many different styles. It’s also an easy beauty trick for looking polished and put-together on the fly — just slick your hair back in a tousled ponytail and swipe on a bit of rouge, et voilà, no one will even suspect you popped out of bed ten minutes ago. Red lipstick can look great on anyone, as long as you know how to pick out the right rouge for your skin tone:

• For fair skin tones, try: Cool red or berry shades with blue undertones
  • For medium or olive skin tones, try: Red lipstick with orange or coral undertones
  • For darker skin tones, try: Cool or warm red lipstick, from true cherry-red to deep berry

Our Tips to Help You Pick Your Most Flattering Shade

These are our tips for choosing the best red lipstick for your skin tone. But if you’re comfortable with brighter or bolder colors, or want something totally different, then go for it.

Red Lipstick for Fair Skin

Also referred to as blue reds, cool reds won’t clash with the cool undertones that are common in those with fair skin — so as not to look shocking or bring out imperfections. And in terms of brightness: The fairer your skin is, the less bright you need your red lipstick to be, as it’s already going to stand out. L’Absolu Rouge Cream Lipstick in Bisou Bisou is a safe bet. is a safe bet.

Red Lipstick for Medium or Olive Skin

We recommend that you lean towards red lipsticks that are warmer, with hues of orange in them. This range of skin tones tends to have more warmth in their undertones, so any red lipstick with orange or even gold is fair game. L’Absolu Rouge Cream Lipstick in French Touch is an orange-warm-red that could be perfect for you.

Red Lipstick for Dark Skin

The sky is the limit for those with darker skin tones, as they can have both warm and cool undertones. A true red is an easy pick, although you can easily experiment with berry and ruby shades. One tip? Opt for brighter shades, which contrast with your skin and make your red really pop. Try L’Absolu Rouge Cream Lipstick in Caprice De Rouge.

Choose Your Finish

Once you’ve found the most flattering shade of red for your skin tone, it’s time to choose your finish, as there are sheer, cream, and matte lipsticks out there. To find your match, consider your lifestyle and what you’ll be doing while wearing your most flattering shade of red lipstick. A sheer gloss like Lancôme L’Absolu Lacquer Gloss in Be Brilliant tends to be the most forgiving and low-maintenance. However, you may have to reapply it if you want to keep the color looking fresh.

If you know you won’t have time for touch-ups, the upside of matte lipsticks is that they tend to adhere well to lips — versus super-shiny glosses, satin finishes, and sheer tints — so they’ll last all day (though you may have to check for smudges). And while they have a reputation for being a little drying, that’s not the case with our lipstick. Take the L'Absolu Rouge Drama Matte Lipsticks. These matte, velvety texture lipsticks with jojoba oil moisturize and do not smudge, meaning they go on your lips and stay there — instead of onto your friends' faces.

If you prefer to use a liquid lipstick in a gorgeous red shade – try L’Absolu Rouge Drama Ink Matte Liquid Lipstick. Liquid lipstick has a different composition and formula than regular lipsticks and Drama Ink Matte Liquid Lipstick has been carefully created with a water-in-oil emulsion giving the lipstick a weightless feel and texture on the lips. It’s lightweight and non-drying yet long lasting and delivers lipstick color formulated to look twice as pigmented after it sets. Think of it as rich color without compromising comfort. Best of all you can forget the lip liner as the patented applicator ensures ultimate precision so you can create a perfectly sharp edge and finish to your red lipstick. All-in-all it’s perfect for creating a matte red lip – the high pigment formula ensures maximum impact and you’re left with a luxurious semi-matte finish that doesn’t bleed or feather.

How to Apply Red Lipstick

To get full-looking lips, start by exfoliating your lips. It’s a must especially if you’re wearing matte lipsticks, which may highlight flakes and dryness. Use a lip scrub and buff it into lips with a toothbrush, then rise. Follow with an application of Absolue Precious Cells Nourishing Lip Balm, which not only nourishes lips but also makes lip appear smoother, softer and more supple.

Next, line your lips with a red pencil, which serves as your primer. Then, apply a lipstick in a matching shade directly from the tube. In this order, you’ll get the most definition and intensity. Not going all-out? For a more natural look, apply your lipstick first and then blend lip liner into your lips.

Lastly, try this trick to turning any lipstick formula into a longwear lipstick: Separate a tissue into two thin sheets, hold one against your lips, and dust translucent powder over the top. Not only will this set your lipstick, but it can also turn any lipstick into a matte lipstick, too.

Member Admin
Topic starter  

As we discussed in class Wednesday the undertone of a persons skin helps to determine the great looking colors we all enjoy wearing. The article is using skin fairness or darkness to determine this. Reds are popular but there are many undertones of red to choose from

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

When I personally wear red lipstick I prefer to wear a cherry red or bright red color. When I wear more of a coral or orange red I feel like I have clown makeup on. Also when I wear lipstick in general I prefer it to be a glossy look the matte look is nice but I feel it makes me look very dehydated. 

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I love all different shades of red lipstick. I do feel myself drawn to a more cherry red. I also am not a big fan of gloss. I prefer matte. If I want to wear a red lipstick I go for a neutral eye so that my lips can stand out. 

ReplyQuote

For me red lipstick is a power house move. When I wear red lipstick I feel so confident. I do make sure I line my lips first because it can get super messy and for me at least it can be a pain to clean up. I also typically only wear red during the winter time. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com When I know I want to wear red lipstick that night I make sure to do whatever I can to keep my lips hydrated and use a lip scrub so I can at least minamize the appearence of the cracks or flakes on my lips. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Since my skin is more pale I don't look good with a bold bright red. I prefer something not too bright more on the pink side.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I prefer gloss too unless im trying to make a statement or for like halloween.

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com Matte does give off a dry looking tone on the lips.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

I wear many different shades of red and I do not like lip gloss as it makes my lips feel sticky. I do not wear matte shades as my lips feel too dry

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

Exfoliating the lips and using conditioning cream is good for all. I do not like the matte lipstick but I love red/ blue colors. I also like red/orange lipstick but it has to be creamy

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

I like the cherry red color also. It is my dress up look but I do also wear it to work sometimes in a different hue

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I don't wear lipstick that much anymore but I love wearing a red lip stick that has a blue undertone. I think it is such a bold classic color to wear!

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@cameranriddleiectskin-com Matte was my preferred choice of lipstick when I wore reds! It's funny because years ago matte was really popular and now more of the glossy look is in style. 

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

I completely agree with this, as someone with a fair skin tone, I can definitely atest that red lipsticks with coral undertones do not work with my skin tone. However, the berry colors look much better with my skin tone.

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I perfer the gloss look much more as my lips feel much more hydrated, and it gives a little more of a natural look.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

i personally have never been a fan of makeup, let alone red lipstick. I prefer lashes and carmex or if im feeling fancy that day, i will put on lip gloss. red lipstick is very pretty on women, but im too scared to take that risk and wear it.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I have tried matte lipstick before and I was not a fan of it at all.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

When I wear any type of red lip I always steer towards a more berry color. It's not too bright and leaves a nice pop of color when I wear more neutral colored outfits.

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com same here I like more subtle colors when I do choose to wear a color on my lips.

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com Same here.  I don't wear color on my lips often, and if I do it might just be more of a tinted lip gloss. Personally I love having my eyes be the most dramatic. I really only wear lipstick when I am going out for a night or going to an event.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I am not a fan of makeup and don't wear it often but there have been a couple times where I have worn red lipstick and it made me feel so confident. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I agree, the matte lipstick can make your lips look dehydrated and cracked but I do love a matte lipstick on people with smoother lips.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I do agree it is a mess and pain to clean off red lipstick and if you decide to change your lipstick color you will still have a red ring around your lips.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Yes! I love a good burgundy matte lip especially in the winter time, both the gloss and the matte are beautiful.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

The red lip is such a bold and timeless statement look. For example, i'm cool toned. The cool-red or berry shades with blue undertones is the way to go. It's good to know what your undertones are when choosing a shade of red. Very important to know when choosing a makeup look

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

Many women fear wearing red lipstick now because it is very bold. Some even say it doesn't look good on them at all, but I think following the guide to choose which shades and tones fit best with your skin is important. 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I agree, I usually wear lip glosses and maybe a dark rosey pink, it doesn't make me look as harsh as wearing red.

ReplyQuote

@emmamidgettiectskin-com I agree, I only wear it on occasions but when I do I feel beautiful.

ReplyQuote
(@daniellesmithiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I like the cherry red color as well but I feel as if it clashes with my cherry red undertones. Too much cherry going on

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!