Aging and What to Expect

35 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Aging: What to expect

Wonder what's considered a normal part of the aging process? Here's what to expect as you get older — and what to do about it.

By Mayo Clinic Staff

You know that aging will likely cause wrinkles and gray hair. But do you know how aging will affect your teeth, heart, and sexuality? Find out what changes to expect as you continue aging — and how to promote good health at any age.

Your cardiovascular system

What's happening

The most common change in the cardiovascular system is stiffening of the blood vessels and arteries, causing your heart to work harder to pump blood through them. The heart muscles change to adjust to the increased workload. Your heart rate at rest will stay about the same, but it won't increase during activities as much as it used to. These changes increase the risk of high blood pressure (hypertension) and other cardiovascular problems.

What you can do

To promote heart health:

• Include physical activity in your daily routine. Try walking, swimming or other activities you enjoy. Regular moderate physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight and lower your heart disease risk.
  • Eat a healthy diet. Choose vegetables, fruits, whole grains, high-fiber foods and lean sources of protein, such as fish. Limit foods high in saturated fat and salt.
  • Don't smoke. Smoking contributes to the hardening of your arteries and increases your blood pressure and heart rate. If you smoke or use other tobacco products, ask your doctor to help you quit.
  • Manage stress. Stress can take a toll on your heart. Take steps to reduce stress, such as meditation, exercise or talk therapy.
  • Get enough sleep. Quality sleep plays an important role in the healing and repair of your heart and blood vessels. Aim for seven to nine hours a night.

Your bones, joints and muscles

What's happening

With age, bones tend to shrink in size and density, weakening them and making them more susceptible to fracture. You might even become a bit shorter. Muscles generally lose strength, endurance and flexibility — factors that can affect your coordination, stability and balance.

What you can do

To promote bone, joint and muscle health:

• Get adequate amounts of calcium. The National Academy of Science, Engineering, and Medicine recommends at least 1,000 milligrams (mg) of calcium daily for adults. The recommendation increases to 1,200 mg daily for women age 51 and older and men age 71 and older. Dietary sources of calcium include dairy products, broccoli, kale, salmon and tofu. If you find it difficult to get enough calcium from your diet, ask your doctor about calcium supplements.
  • Get adequate amounts of vitamin D. The recommended daily intake of vitamin D is 600 international units for adults up to age 70 and 800 IU for adults over 70. Many people get adequate amounts of vitamin D from sunlight. Other sources include tuna, salmon, eggs, vitamin D-fortified milk and vitamin D supplements.
  • Include physical activity in your daily routine. Weight-bearing exercises, such as walking, jogging, tennis, climbing stairs and weight training can help you build strong bones and slow bone loss.
  • Avoid substance abuse. Avoid smoking and limit alcoholic drinks. Ask your doctor about how much alcohol might be safe for your age, sex and general health.

Your digestive system

What's happening

Age-related structural changes in the large intestine can result in more constipation in older adults. Other contributing factors include a lack of exercise, not drinking enough fluids and a low-fiber diet. Medications, such as diuretics and iron supplements, and certain medical conditions, such as diabetes, also might contribute to constipation.

What you can do

To prevent constipation:

• Eat a healthy diet. Make sure your diet includes high-fiber foods, such as fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Limit high-fat meats, dairy products and sweets, which might cause constipation. Drink plenty of water and other fluids.
  • Include physical activity in your daily routine. Regular physical activity can help prevent constipation.
  • Don't ignore the urge to have a bowel movement. Holding in a bowel movement for too long can cause constipation.

Your bladder and urinary tract

What's happening

Your bladder may become less elastic as you age, resulting in the need to urinate more often. Weakening of bladder muscles and pelvic floor muscles may make it difficult for you to empty your bladder completely or cause you to lose bladder control (urinary incontinence). In men, an enlarged or inflamed prostate also can cause difficult emptying the bladder and incontinence.

Other factors that contribute to incontinence include being overweight, nerve damage from diabetes, certain medications, and caffeine or alcohol consumption.

What you can do

To promote bladder and urinary tract health:

• Go to the toilet regularly. Consider urinating on a regular schedule, such as every hour. Slowly, extend the amount of time between your toilet trips.
  • Maintain a healthy weight. If you're overweight, lose excess pounds.
  • Don't smoke. If you smoke or use other tobacco products, ask your doctor to help you quit.
  • Do Kegel exercises. To exercise your pelvic floor muscles (Kegel exercises), squeeze the muscles you would you use to stop passing gas. Try it for three seconds at a time, and then relax for a count of three. Work up to doing the exercise 10 to 15 times in a row, at least three times a day.
  • Avoid bladder irritants. Caffeine, acidic foods, alcohol and carbonated beverages can make incontinence worse.
  • Avoid constipation. Eat more fiber and take other steps to avoid constipation, which can worsen incontinence.

Your memory and thinking skills

What's happening

Your brain undergoes changes as you age that may have minor effects on your memory or thinking skills. For example, healthy older adults might forget familiar names or words, or they may find it more difficult to multitask.

What you can do

You can promote cognitive health by taking the following steps:

• Include physical activity in your daily routine. Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. Studies suggest regular exercise is associated with better brain function and reduces stress and depression — factors that affect memory.
  • Eat a healthy diet. A heart-healthy diet may benefit your brain. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Too much alcohol can lead to confusion and memory loss.
  • Stay mentally active. Staying mentally active may help sustain your memory and thinking skills. You can read, play word games, take up a new hobby, take classes, or learn to play an instrument.
  • Be social. Social interaction helps ward off depression and stress, which can contribute to memory loss. You might volunteer at a local school or nonprofit, spend time with family and friends, or attend social events.
  • Treat cardiovascular disease. Follow your doctor's recommendations to manage cardiovascular risk factors — high blood pressure, high cholesterol and diabetes — that may increase the risk of cognitive decline.
  • Quit smoking. If you smoke, quitting smoking may help your cognitive health.

If you're concerned about memory loss or other changes in your thinking skills, talk to your doctor.

Your eyes and ears

What's happening

With age, you might have difficulty focusing on objects that are close up. You might become more sensitive to glare and have trouble adapting to different levels of light. Aging also can affect your eye's lens, causing clouded vision (cataracts).

Your hearing also might diminish. You might have difficulty hearing high frequencies or following a conversation in a crowded room.

What you can do

To promote eye and ear health:

• Schedule regular checkups. Follow your doctor's advice about glasses, contact lenses, hearing aids and other corrective devices.
  • Take precautions. Wear sunglasses or a wide-brimmed hat when you're outdoors, and use earplugs when you're around loud machinery or other loud noises.

Your teeth

What's happening

Your gums might pull back from your teeth. Certain medications, such as those that treat allergies, asthma, high blood pressure and high cholesterol, also can cause dry mouth. As a result, your teeth and gums might become slightly more vulnerable to decay and infection.

What you can do

To promote oral health:

• Brush and floss. Brush your teeth twice a day, and clean between your teeth — using regular dental floss or an interdental cleaner — once a day.
  • Schedule regular checkups. Visit your dentist or dental hygienist for regular dental checkups.

Your skin

What's happening

With age, your skin thins and becomes less elastic and more fragile, and fatty tissue just below the skin decreases. You might notice that you bruise more easily. Decreased production of natural oils might make your skin drier. Wrinkles, age spots and small growths called skin tags are more common.

What you can do

To promote healthy skin:

• Be gentle. Bathe or shower in warm — not hot — water. Use mild soap and moisturizer.
  • Take precautions. When you're outdoors, use sunscreen and wear protective clothing. Check your skin regularly and report changes to your doctor.
  • Don't smoke. If you smoke or use other tobacco products, ask your doctor to help you quit. Smoking contributes to skin damage, such as wrinkling.

Your weight

What's happening

How your body burns calories (metabolism) slows down as you age. If you decrease activities as you age, but continue to eat the same as usual, you'll gain weight. To maintain a healthy weight, stay active and eat healthy.

What you can do

To maintain a healthy weight:

• Include physical activity in your daily routine. Regular moderate physical activity can help you maintain a healthy weight.
  • Eat a healthy diet. Choose vegetables, fruits, whole grains, high-fiber foods and lean sources of protein, such as fish. Limit sugar and foods high in saturated fat.
  • Watch your portion sizes. To cut calories, keep an eye on your portion sizes.

Your sexuality

What's happening

With age, sexual needs and performance might change. Illness or medication might affect your ability to enjoy sex. For women, vaginal dryness can make sex uncomfortable. For men, impotence might become a concern. It might take longer to get an erection, and erections might not be as firm as they used to be.

What you can do

To promote your sexual health:

• Share your needs and concerns with your partner. You might find the physical intimacy without intercourse is right for you, or you may experiment with different sexual activities.
  • Get regular exercise. Exercise improves the release of sexual hormones, cardiovascular health, flexibility, mood and self-image — all factors that contribute to good sexual health.
  • Talk to your doctor. Your doctor might offer specific treatment suggestions — such as estrogen cream for vaginal dryness or oral medication for erectile dysfunction in men.

You can't stop the aging process, but you can make choices that improve your ability to maintain an active life, to do the things you enjoy, and to spend time with loved ones.

Nov. 21, 2018

See more In-depth

(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

You definitely cannot stop the aging process, but these precautions are so important to take as you age. For your health sake. Of course you cannot stop aging, you can always get things done to your physical appearance to alter your look, but it is the inside of our bodies that really matters the most, so taking care of it and taking those extra precautions when you're getting of age is the smartest thing to do. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

When I was younger, I couldn't wait to grow up! Now that I'm older, it seems like the days turn to weeks and weeks to years and it comes and goes so fast. Growing old can seem scary, but if you take care of your body and your mind you can stay young forever. I know some older people who didn't take care of themselves and now need assistance and can hardly do anything on their own. I know other older people who took care of their bodies and mental health and are some of the most active 80 years old, and that is how I aspire to live my life. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I remember when I first started with the expression lines around my eyes. To me it seemed to happen overnight. I hear a lot of women say that same thing.I have been using eye cream and have ultrasonic treatments which has really helped and made me feel better about aging

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Getting older seems so scary, when I look in the mirror i see fine lines and i cringe. Aging is the inevitable , but taking care of your body and mind can keep you forever young. Take the time to do some extra self care will help in the long run. Be good to your skin, body and mind. Be gentle on the skin now, go to those doctor appointments, stay physically active even if its just walking, and keep your brain active. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

When we get older, everything about our body and our appearance changes. We get wrinkles, our metabolism slows down, and even our eye sight might change. These are normal things that can happen to anyone, but no one looks forward to the moment when these things start to occur. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

Aging has been a shock to me. Things I was able to do even 5 and 10 years ago are harder or I can't do them. I remember looking in the mirror and all of a sudden there is a wrinkle or a brown spot that seemed to come overnight. I've gained weight and just cant seem to lose it. My hormones are shot because of a hysterectomy in my 40's. No estrogen and testosterone to speak of was shocking to my body, mind, and spirit. 

My hair is 100% gray but I still want to color it. I am tired but I want to be able to do the things I used to

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

Your right no one looks forward to it but it is going to. Its hard to think that some day we will all be old. Maybe if we are lucky we will have good health. You never know what will happen. I saw my grandmother with dementia and not even know me. It was so shocking and painful to see the once vibrant, sharp woman standing before me weak and wearing her bra on the outside of her dress. I pray that I do not have that happen

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Aging is alot more than just grey hair now that i read this. Im not excited to grow old. It good to do as much in your young years as you can.

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com Ive always had a fast metabolism i wonder if when im 60 it will go away or be relativly the same.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com taking care of your body and skin is so important ecpesiily when you get older. Its the most important then.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

We all age and it can seem scary, but keeping up with your mind and body will make a world of a difference as you get older. It's better to get in the routine of taking care of yourself now to possibly avoid problems later on. 

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com You don't think about it much when you're young and what all comes with aging. It's so much more than wrinkles and grey hair.

ReplyQuote

@noracrainiectskin-com I have family that have taken such good care of themselves over the years doing a number of things and they are still so lively. I aspire to be like them

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I remember when I was young I would always say I can't wait to be older but now that I am older I wish I could go back to my younger days. Age can take a big toll on people. My boyfriend is only in his 30's and he is already experiencing gray hair. It's good while you are young to get into a good habit of keeping yourself healthy. 

ReplyQuote

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I agree having a healthy lifestyle can really have a good impact on you when you're aging.

ReplyQuote

@noracrainiectskin-com Taking care of your mental and physical health is important for healthy aging.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com Healthy aging of course depends on diet, and your bodys health due to excerise. But it also relates to how well you take care of your skin.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

@emmamidgettiectskin-com women also go through low estrogen levels or go without having any at all, it's important to check your health very often with aging.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

I find myself being afraid to age and grow old, it is nice to know that there are ways to slow the process and preventative measures you can take.

ReplyQuote

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I agree, It is important to take good care of yourself while youre young as far as diet and exercise, drinking, drug use, smoking, sun exposure and skin care.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I had a grandmother live until 106 years old, she could talk and walk and understand conversations so well. She even had her own rap song she created and would sing for us when we would come to celebrate her birthday. She took amazing care of herself throughout her life.

ReplyQuote
(@brianahetlandiectskin-com)

I think I have pretty good genes and I'm aging well. I do feel like after my hysterectomy my hair has thinned and grayed quite a bit. i don't like the idea of coloring my hair to get rid of greys but some days I really want to. no one thinks I am as old as I am and I'll take it! 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I recently took a picture with a few of my coworkers who are at least ten years younger than me and even with just a few wrinkles on my forehead and none on theirs it made me sad for a little bit but I don't stay hydrated as much as I should and I do smoke so they plays a factor in wrinkles.

ReplyQuote

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com I agree with routine check ups to make sure there are no underlying issues that could contribute to aging quicker.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

As we age we think about the gray hair, wrinkles and the body aches but a lot of people don't think about the steps they could take to prevent some of the signs of aging like exercising, eating healthy, hydrating and wearing sunscreen.  I also think that sometimes we look older if we don't take care of our appearance.  We all get tired but it seems like a lot of people just think "well, I'm old and now I don't have to look good", which I think is the wrong approach.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com Although as we know, genetics has a lot to do in how we age, taking care of ourselves with diet, exercise and our lifestyle definitely helps.

ReplyQuote
(@melissalandersiectskin-com)

@olgacoloniectskin-com   

I guess we are what we eat!  I know that clean eating and living and wearing sunscreen and hats can help tremendously, but genetics has a hand in this as well.  It is never too late to start taking care of your skin and your body.

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

My downfall has always been food. I recently started eating healthy, drinking more water, and taking better care of my skin and I already feel "younger". I can't stop aging of course! But I feel like I'm doing something good for myself which will help with the aging process. 

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

Reading this scared me thinking about everything aging does to you. Of course you can't stop the aging process but taking care of your body is essential which I try to do. I also go crazy over lines forming in my face and any other aging factors I notice and I am no where near close to this.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!