Clear all

Bottled Waters

25 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Popular bottled water brands contain toxic 'forever chemicals,' Consumer Reports finds

Popular bottled water brands contain toxic 'forever chemicals,' Consumer Reports finds

Americans drink more bottled water than coffee, tea, milk, soft drinks or any other beverage — billions of gallons a year in all, according to industry statistics.

That impressive thirst has drawn scrutiny about what’s in the bottle.

Consumer Reports recently tested 47 bottled waters — including 35 noncarbonated and 12 carbonated options — and found levels of “toxic PFAS chemicals” in several popular brands that were above a limit recommended by some experts.

“These chemicals are called forever chemicals because the way that they are put together, it's hard for them to be broken down — they last very, very long,” James Rogers, director of food safety research and testing for Consumer Reports, told TODAY.

“We are advocating to both the FDA and the EPA that they look at putting a mandatory standard for PFAS for all water that consumers would drink.”

The International Bottled Water Association, an industry trade group, countered CR’s reporting was “misleading and will unnecessarily frighten consumers.

https://news.yahoo.com/nbcu/back-school-shopping-both-class-130245677.html?format=embed&region=US&lang=en-US&site=news&player_autoplay=0&expName=y20","width":854,"thumbnail":{"type":"image","size":{"raw":null}},"YVAP":{"accountId":"145"},"expName":"y20","playlist":{"mediaItems": [{"id":"43404cef-91d0-3c01-b34c-97a5e718d88b"}],"videoRecommendations":true,"id":"nbcu"},"videoAlias":"back-school-shopping-both-class-130245677","hidePlaylist":true,"comscoreC4":"US News","articleUuid":"73c29d48-99cd-3896-975a-c98f3714ad21","pct":"story","pblob":"revsp:nbc_today_217;pct:story","expBucket":"newsd-a20-sc-rem-2,ynd-relstories-3","expBucketName":"newsd-a20-sc-rem-2,ynd-relstories-3"}">

What are PFAS?

Short for per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances, PFAS are a group of man-made chemicals that are used in many consumer products because they’re resistant to grease, oil, water and heat.

PFAS are found in drinking water, nonstick cookware, pizza boxes, stain repellants and household products like paints, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

There are almost 5,000 different types of PFAS — some studied more than others — and they can accumulate in the human body over time, which “may cause serious health conditions,” the U.S. Food and Drug Administration noted.

In lab animals, large amounts of the two most-studied PFAS chemicals can cause cancer and birth defects — plus have reproductive and developmental, liver and kidney, and immunological effects.

Human health effects from exposure to low levels of PFAS are uncertain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

https://news.yahoo.com/nbcu/island-nation-plan-tackle-plastic-133154808.html?format=embed&region=US&lang=en-US&site=news&player_autoplay=0&expName=y20","width":854,"thumbnail":{"type":"image","size":{"raw":null}},"YVAP":{"accountId":"145"},"expName":"y20","playlist":{"mediaItems": [{"id":"0e9384f5-f2e5-376e-a37f-d8d5242f1cc1"}],"videoRecommendations":true,"id":"nbcu"},"videoAlias":"island-nation-plan-tackle-plastic-133154808","hidePlaylist":true,"comscoreC4":"US News","articleUuid":"73c29d48-99cd-3896-975a-c98f3714ad21","pct":"story","pblob":"revsp:nbc_today_217;pct:story","expBucket":"newsd-a20-sc-rem-2,ynd-relstories-3","expBucketName":"newsd-a20-sc-rem-2,ynd-relstories-3"}">

https://s.yimg.com/hd/cp-video-transcode/prod/2020-10/04/5f79d4d4c485b325826c023b/5f79d4d4c485b325826c023c_o_U_v2.jp g" width="650" height="364" aria-hidden="true" />

This island nation has a plan to tackle its plastic waste

Single-use plastics, from drinking straws to shopping bags and water bottles, are being discouraged or banned as they pile up in landfills, harming the environment. In this week’s Sunday Spotlight, NBC’s Kerry Sanders takes a look at the Maldives’ plan to tackle the problem.

What limits are recommended?

The EPA, which regulates public drinking water, advises a safety level of below 70 parts per trillion for the two most-studied PFAS chemicals. This is considered voluntary guidance.

The International Bottled Water Association has adopted a tougher standard for its members: 5 parts per trillion for one PFAS compound and 10 parts per trillion for more than one compound.

But some experts believe the limit for total PFAS levels should be even lower, at 1 parts per trillion, Consumer Reports noted. That’s the cutoff CR considered for its investigation and the limit it wants the government to set up as a mandatory regulatory standard.

Testing results:

The tests focused on 30 PFAS chemicals and four heavy metals: arsenic, cadmium, lead and mercury.

CR found two of the 35 noncarbonated waters tested exceeded the 1 part per trillion PFAS threshold:

• Deer Park Natural Spring Water, 1.21

• Tourmaline Spring Sacred Living Water, 4.64

In response, Tourmaline Spring said the amount of PFAS in its bottled water was below the levels set by the IBWA and all states. Nestlé, producer of Deer Park, told Consumer Reports its most recent testing for the brand indicated undetectable levels of PFAS.

Related:

CR found that seven of the 12 carbonated waters tested exceeded the 1 part per trillion PFAS threshold:

• Perrier Natural Sparkling Mineral Water, 1.1

• La Croix Natural Sparkling Water, 1.16

• Canada Dry Lemon Lime Sparkling Seltzer Water, 1.24

• Poland Spring Zesty Lime Sparkling Water, 1.66

• Bubly Blackberry Sparkling Water, 2.24

• Polar Natural Seltzer Water, 6.41

• Topo Chico Natural Mineral Water, 9.76

It’s possible the process of infusing carbonation into flat water could enhance the concentration of PFAS, Rogers said.

Responding to Consumer Reports, Topo Chico, made by Coca-Cola, said it would “continue to make improvements to prepare for more stringent standards in the future.” Nestlé, maker of Poland Spring and Perrier, said its recent testing did not detect PFAS and that it supports efforts to set federal limits. La Croix and Canada Dry said levels in their products were well below current standards or requirements.

PepsiCo, the maker of Bubly, didn’t respond to Consumer Reports nor a TODAY request for comment.

Related:

When it came to heavy metal levels, only one product was flagged: Starkey Spring Water. It had arsenic levels more than three times that of CR’s recommended level of 3 parts per billion, but fell under the federal limit of 10 parts per billion.

Owner Whole Foods told CR its “highest priority is to provide customers with safe, high-quality, and refreshing spring water.” The products meet all FDA requirements and are fully compliant with FDA standards for heavy metals, it added.

https://news.yahoo.com/nbcu/aluminum-cans-short-supply-due-122908190.html?format=embed&region=US&lang=en-US&site=news&player_autoplay=0&expName=y20","width":854,"thumbnail":{"type":"image","size":{"raw":null}},"YVAP":{"accountId":"145"},"expName":"y20","playlist":{"mediaItems": [{"id":"8e38122c-6fa9-3bbd-8ad6-e773d8a973d6"}],"videoRecommendations":true,"id":"nbcu"},"videoAlias":"aluminum-cans-short-supply-due-122908190","hidePlaylist":true,"comscoreC4":"US News","articleUuid":"73c29d48-99cd-3896-975a-c98f3714ad21","pct":"story","pblob":"revsp:nbc_today_217;pct:story","expBucket":"newsd-a20-sc-rem-2,ynd-relstories-3","expBucketName":"newsd-a20-sc-rem-2,ynd-relstories-3"}">

https://s.yimg.com/hd/cp-video-transcode/prod/2020-07/16/5f104cba3c6caf487ac43193/5f104cba3c6caf487ac43194_o_U_v2.jp g" width="640" height="360" aria-hidden="true" />

Aluminum cans are in short supply due to the pandemic

First it was toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Now it’s aluminum cans that are in short supply due to the pandemic, as people drink beer and soda at home instead of in bars and restaurants. Manufacturers have announced plans to build at least three new factories.

Industry reaction:

The International Bottled Water Association challenged the testing method used by Consumer Reports, arguing it “cannot accurately and reliably detect the amount of PFAS in bottled water.”

The trade group also said claims that bottled water with PFAS levels above 1 part per trillion posed a human health risk were not based on sound science.

Bottom line:

Rogers countered the goal was to provide the best information Consumer Reports had based on its testing results. He urged people to do their own research and be aware there can be issues with bottled water.

“We want to empower consumers so they can make their own decisions,” he said.

“If they read our article and they’re concerned, then that's OK, too. Maybe that will stimulate consumers not only to buy wisely, but also advocate on their own behalf to these regulatory agencies and to groups like the IBWA to give them fresh, clean, safe water.”

(@noracrainiectskin-com)

It's scary and concerning how many bad ingredients and chemicals are put into our food, drinks and even skin products, and we still consume and use them. Companies are more worried about cheap and mass production than they are of the consumer health. I understand that the FDA has to give approval and the amount of chemicals can't go past a certain degree, but its still a lot of bad stuff that we put into our bodies on a regular basis. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I was surprised at the number of brands that are supposed to be so good that are really bad. It is scary when you think of all the bad ingredients that are out there and we consume them all the time. Some of them the body does not break down properly. I agree with you Lindsey that we drink and eat lots of chemicals

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com

I think I remember hearing back in the day that Dasani had horrible ingredients and everyone said it tasted like metal and when you looked at the ingredients it had something in it that they used in lethal injections for prisoners on death row

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

Seeing anything with FDA approval on it doesn't bring me any extra comfort in a product. The FDA approves of so many horrible ingredients that are illegal in other countries, im not surprised there are so many waters out there that are bad for us and we are still consuming them. Its a shame that its so expensive to have better water in a better container. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

When we first moved into our new home here in Virginia Beach and we had someone come and test our tap water. Which was terrible. He was telling us that there are so many ways that water companies getting away with putting labels on their bottles like "natural spring water." He told us that the water being put into those "natural spring water" bottles only have to be within 100 miles of a natural spring. You really just have to be so cautious of everything your putting into your body and do your research to make sure it really is what they are claiming it is. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

it is so crazy that something that is supposed to be good for you can do more harm than good. I also think it is crazy that there are "legal levels" of substances that could kill us or that could be damaging to our bodies that are allowed to be in products we are regularly consuming. it is so important to make conscious and educated decisions about what we put in our bodies. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com yes doing your own research is so important, if you dont seek out this information you are possible unknowingly filling your body with chemicals that shouldnt be in it

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have been reading about bottled water and all the issues with the plastic it is bottled in. I used to buy bottled water all the time but now I don't want to be drinking the plastic too. What is the alternative? Kayltyn you mentioned in class a filter system for the whole house and the one you fill and it filters the water. I am leaning toward that as the whole house system is too expensive. What is the one you mentioned?

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@amandamooreiectskin-com

I have seen comparisons for the bottled water and was shocked at the results. I would like to but the counter top filter. Have you heard of any relly top quality ones?

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com

I only know for sure that dasani is everyone's least favorite water bottle. People have also been saying that they have it to where dasani is the only water bottle available. Like at football games, they will only have dasani in the vending machine so it is the only water you can buy so you're stuck buying poison water. 

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

It's scary to consider the effects that plastics can have not just on the environment but also on our bodies. This makes me wonder if research develops about this if it will make more people aware of the problem that plastic is really causing our society. Many are now pushing to cut out plastics from use, but I think it would take a more personal issue like this to get most people's attention. Hopefully 20 years from now we will have found a better way to package products than all this plastic.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I agree I really hope we figure out a better solution to our plastic problems and waste. I always try and remember to bring a reusable cup to places like class or school. And even if I do forget to bring my own, I will refill the empty one to keep using instead of opening another bottle. I am definitely not saying I am the best with being plastic free because I'm still guilty, but I do try to make small changes daily to be more aware of my plastic use.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with you all. The plastic ingredients that we consume not knowing what its doing to the body are scary. Using a glass bottle is much better. when I think how the plastic breaks down by the time it gets to the store how much as degraded?

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@noracrainiectskin-com I agree it is scary. Scary that something that should be healthy for the body ends up being unhealthy because of the way it is produced. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

Yes, I used to think bottled water was all the same but after reading about different companies and the toxic particles I have reconsidered the amount I deink. If I'm out and about I may buy a bottle but when I'm home for coffee, tea, and water I use filtered

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Ive seen so many videos of people testing commonly known and loved bottled water brands. Every time im shocked with how many chemicals are put in water and the making of the bottles. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Im reminded every year how bad they actually can be every year when summer rolls around. You can drink the water in water bottles that have been left in hot cars due to the toxic chemicals that are released due to heat. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Its crazy to think that a bottle of water can be harming our bodies. I've seen videos of people testing different brands of water to see what brand is good to consume or not and there are a lot of companies that have bad ingredients in them, but they are still selling the product knowing what it is doing to our bodies.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

I am guilty for buying water bottles and drinking out of them but after reading this I think I may want to go back to drinking out of a hydroflask type of water bottle or something other than plastic. I dont drink out of the tap nor do I have a reverse osmosis system, so grabbing a water bottle and going has always been the easiest for me, but who knows what chemicals could be entering into my body drinking out of plastic water bottles. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

it's sad to think that harsh chemicals could be entering my body when drinking out of plastic water bottles. I've heard of people leaving their water bottles in hot vehicles and it releases those toxic chemicals from the plastic water bottles. I always use my own personal cups to put my water in. 

This post was modified 5 months ago by Sydney Hurdle

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com I've heard the same thing about Deer Park brand bottled water and how it's not good for you

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

It's crazy to see all these water brands that I have had and I still purchase to this day.  Perrier and Deer Park are brands I purchase and drink and give to my family, so for these companies to sit there and charge people for basically poison is sad.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I think of the same.  Now, I think about all the water left outside that the chemicals from the plastic can be dangerous, then I think of the many times I drank water while deployed and the water pallets were left outside in the head for days.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com I've heard of brands who don't actually filter the water, they just bottle it, so that may be the reason why deer park and other brands have these high contents of toxins that have been found.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!