Clear all

Aging

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Is Aging a Disease You Can Reverse? A Look at the Science Behind the Longevity Movement

We all want to live longer, but is a prolonged life a healthy, happy one? One Vogue writer looks at the science that says it might be possible.

9/22/2020 8:03:00 PM

We all want to live longer, but is a prolonged life a healthy, happy one? One Vogue writer looks at the science that says it might be possible.

Black Scarf,1996, by Alex Katz.Photo: © Christie's Images / Bridgeman ImagesDAVE ASPREY, founder of the supplement company Bulletproof and one of the many Silicon Valley tech titans obsessed with lengthening their life spans, famously declared he wants to live beyond 180 years. That sounds, frankly, exhausting. Yet who wouldn’t want to take a languorous sip from the gerontological cup, assuming reasonable health and fitness?

Nobel Prize for chemistry awarded for 'genome scissors'Greek court rules Golden Dawn party criminal organizatioFmr. CDC Director reacts to Trump’s advice about coronavirusFmr. CDC Director reacts to Trump’s advice about coronavirus

Therein lies the catch: A long life is something that’s desired and dreaded in equal measure. My uncle was a rocket scientist at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. When I visited him in his final years, I did not recognize this once dynamic, brilliant man. He was confused, frail, vague. In 2014, Ezekiel Emanuel, a noted oncologist and chair of the Department of Medical Ethics and Health Policy at the University of Pennsylvania, wrote a blunt essay for

The Atlantictitled “Why I Hope to Die at 75.” He argued that the “manic desperation to endlessly extend” life siphons resources and “robs us of our creativity and ability to contribute to work, society, the world.” Emanuel stands by it. “You don’t want to wait until the end of your life and live it unconsciously,” he told me recently.

AdvertisementBut what if we could change not just the expiration date but the time leading up to it? Research shows that most people are ill with disease for five to eight years before they die. Must they be? A wave of scientists are saying no. They maintain that

agingis a disease—one that can be targeted, treated, and perhaps even reversed. Longevity—a quest as old as humanity itself—is the wellness world’s latest buzzword, appearing everywhere from specialty gyms such as Longevity Lab NYC to NutriDrip’s $600 “Nutriyouth” IV formula (which promises to “turn on ‘good genes’ ”) to the Victoria Beckham–sanctioned supplements Basis NAD+. Meanwhile, big-name investors (Jeff Bezos, Peter Thiel) are backing companies that are designing drugs to stave off the impairments associated with growing old: Thiel’s Breakout Labs is intent on the modest goal of “reprogramming nature.” The longevity sector, according to some industry analysis, is on track to be a multi-trillion-dollar industry.

Aging can be considered a disease—one that can be targeted, treated, and perhaps even reversedONE MORNING THIS PAST SUMMER, I met Nir Barzilai, M.D., founding director of the Institute for Aging Research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, at the entrance of the three-mile pedestrian path of the Mario Cuomo Bridge, which stretches across the Hudson River. Affable and bespectacled, the 64-year-old author of the new book

Age Laterhas suggested we exercise during our chat—exercise being one of the magic bullets for a long and vibrant life, or “health span,” as he and other experts term it. (When it comes to health span, Barzilai says, genetics account for only some 20 percent. The rest is environment and lifestyle.) On this morning, he has not yet broken his 16-hour life-lengthening

In Pennsylvania, Catholic Voters Are Targeted By Both SidesIn Pe'Totally irresponsible behavior': Trump returns to WH, removes maskVoter beware: US tells public how to avoid election mischiefVoter beware: US tells public how to avoid election mischief

daily fast. Research has also shown that “stressors” such as intermittent fasting can prompt your body to activate the genes that help repair broken DNA and protect chromosomes.As we walk, he takes me through his other practices: Along with his fasts and exercise, Barzilai takes a daily dose of metformin. An inexpensive diabetes medication that’s been around since the 1950s, metformin is thought to mimic the calorie restriction of fasting by limiting the amount of sugar the body absorbs (side effects are generally mild, among them abdominal pain, nausea, and loss of appetite). A 2017 study of more than 41,000 male metformin users found that it reduced—by a significant amount—the likelihood of

dementia, cancer, and cardiovascular disease. A growing number of doctors are prescribing it off-­label, but Barzilai wants the medication to be FDA-sanctioned for every elder adult. He’s about to undertake a six-year national trial (called TAME, for “Targeting Aging With Metformin”), partially and anonymously funded by a noted tech billionaire.

AdvertisementIf fasting is not exactly your speed, diet is still tremendously important. As forwhatyou should eat, the gold standard remains the Mediterranean diet—one that is high in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, nuts, seeds, and olive oil, and low on red meat—the only diet, says Barzilai, proven by clinical research to decrease cardiovascular mortality. A recent study in the medical journal

Gutfound that following it for just one year slowed the development of age-related inflammatory processes.David Sinclair, Ph.D., Harvard geneticist and author of the bestsellerLifespan: Why We Age—and Why We Don’t Have To,says the Mediterranean diet essentially “tricks the body into thinking we’ve been doing exercise and fasting.” Of course, this is not a permission slip for bottomless bowls of rigatoni; too much of a good thing is too much. Dan Buettner, the National Geographic Fellow who helped popularize the idea of the “blue zones”—the five areas worldwide with the longest-lived denizens—says he follows a rule practiced by the residents of Okinawa, Japan, and stops eating when his stomach is 80 percent full. And perhaps consider occasionally skipping dessert: Research shows that sugar intake accelerates age-related inflammation. “The more sugar you eat, the faster you age,” says Robert Lustig, professor of pediatric endocrinology at the University of California, San Francisco. (The American Heart Association recommends that women keep it under six teaspoons per day.)

(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I have never understood why some people are so scared of aging. Some people, especially women will do anything to keep themselves looking younger than what they actually are. Botox, face lifts, neck lifts, fat reduction, veneers etc. While yes everyone wants to always look pretty but just because you don't necessarily "look" your age due to all the work done doesn't mean you still aren't the same age as you were before you layed down on the operating table. Of course I understand wanting to get some botox done here and there to get rid of the smile line, the wrinkles on the forehead etc but all the other stuff is just crazy! Not to mention even a little dangerous for people in that certain age group. Just because you have some wrinkles and don't look like you're 20 doesn't mean your beauty is gone. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

When a person begins aging, let's say at 65 it's scary to come to terms with that. Don't get me wrong but I do believe a person should do what will make them feel better. I will get plastic surgery and I have used botox and fillers over the years. I loved the look, not overdone. 

If a person is in good health and wants plastic surgery I see nothing wrong with it. If a person loses a lot of weight and has very lose skin hanging it would be a good idea mentally and physically to have it removed. It is all up to the person contemplating which way to go

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

I think it's important to be able to age gracefully. As you age, you also become more confident with who you are as a person and aging becomes something you realize is inevitable. Sure you can get botox, and plastic surgery to make yourself feel better and look better externally, but everything on the inside is aging as well. That's why its important to put good things in your body and take care of everything as a whole. It will also give you more confidence.

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I can definitely say that i have never heard aging referred to as a disease, and certainly not a curable or reversable disease. I think this thought process, along with a lot of the way the article highlights how people view age, is concerning yet intriguing. As I think about it, its understandable to read that people "fear" aging, I can completely see it from a physical/beauty standpoint. But reversing fine lines and deteriorating muscles won't do for the mind what it will for the body. Life adds up, the experiences and traumas and exposure and daily events wear us down mentally and physically (and physically mentally by deteriorating the brain). I dont know how much my physical appearance will matter to me when I'm 95.

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I agree with you! The crossover between not feeling confident and wanted to be 25 forever is kind of tough. I can see myself getting fillers or work done as i age if i want (because some under eye filler wouldn't be the worst thing right now) but I don't like idea coinciding with whether I felt worth it or confident. But looking 45 when I'm 95 will NOT make me more productive or able to physically endure what I could. I guess i'm stuck with the idea that age and aging is just supposed to happen. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

Aging is something that is inevitable were all going to experience it. I think that if there are lifestyles that we can to adapt to now while were young to try and help slow down or make this process for us easier I think it's a great thing. I myself would love to look more into the Mediterranean diet, a diet that tricks your body into thinking you're working out sounds like the most perfect diet to me. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com Yes I agree that the real way to help counteract again or maybe make is more graceful is being healthy on the inside. Diet is so important to so many different factors of our bodies. If you want to get plastic surgery or fillers or botox to help make you feel comfortable in your own skin I also don't see any problem with that either. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com i totally agree aging is inevitable so instead of dreading it we should try to enjoy the beauty of getting older. of taking care of yourself and taking pride in how you look remains important into old age but some parts of aging are just bound to happen, lets embrace it

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com i totally agree aging is inevitable so instead of dreading it we should try to enjoy the beauty of getting older. of taking care of yourself and taking pride in how you look remains important into old age but some parts of aging are just bound to happen, lets embrace it

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!