Clear all

Stress

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Consumer Purchases Reveal Desire for Stress Relief and Self-Care While at Home, Reports NPD

Port Washington, NY, December 23, 2020– 2020 has brought new meaning to the term stressful. Hunkered down in their homes and feeling the anxiety and stress of the ongoing pandemic, U.S. consumers have been purchasing at-home remedies to relieve their stress. Sales of self-help books, candles, and massaging appliances have all grown by double-digits this year, reports The NPD Group.

According to NPD BookScan, there was a growth trend in self-help and therapy subjects early in the COVID-19 pandemic, with double-digit gains in the 13 weeks ending August 1 this year, driven largely by books that focus on mindfulness, including titles like “Man’s Search For Meaning,” by Viktor E. Frankl and “Radical Compassion: Learning to Love Yourself and Your World,” by Tara Brach. Self-help books also saw a spike during this period, driving unit sales up 22% compared to the prior period. Self-help has seen continued growth through mid-December, with single-digit growth compared to last year.

Addressing the physical side of stress relief and self-care, in the 6 months ending October 2020, 5.6 million massaging appliances were sold, an 86% increase compared to the same time last year, according to NPD’s Checkout information. Limitations on the ability to visit professional therapeutic services, and the related cost savings has consumers investing in the products they are purchasing. The average amount spent on massaging appliances between January and October was 38% higher than last year, making it the category with the third largest increase in average selling price across all general merchandise industries tracked by NPD.1 Dollar sales of massaging appliances continue to grow by more than 50% through this holiday season.1

“Massaging appliances can solve a variety of consumer wellness needs that have escalated since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic,” said Joe Derochowski, NPD’s home industry advisor. “Whether it is to relieve stress, soothe a sore back from a makeshift home workspace, or just find some much-needed relaxation, these products fit into the consumer’s broader quest for comfort during challenging times, which will make them a popular holiday gift to splurge on.”

In addition to massaging appliances, there is growth in beauty categories that use our senses of smell and touch, along with a little pampering, to contribute to a feeling of well-being. Since March, candles and home fragrance ancillary gift sets have both seen double-digit dollar gains, as did body exfoliator skincare products, nail care, and nail tools and accessories2 – a trend that has continued in the prestige beauty industry through the holiday season3.

“Shifting consumer priorities toward self-care and treating themselves to little luxuries have been bright spots for the prestige beauty industry this year,” said Larissa Jensen, NPD’s  beauty industry advisor. “Through products such as body care and home scents, consumers are creating a spa-like environment at home and finding new outlets to de-stress and capture a sense of normalcy and balance.”    

(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

During the pandemic closure in 2020 I found self help books good for me to relieve stress. Also meditation was great. I also had good results with crossword puzzles, word searches, and Zigsaw puzzle apps on my IPad

All of these kept me from just reading the news or seeing the news reports on TV. It is just too much stress to think about everyday. I could retreat into different areas which helped me deal with the pandemic

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

2020 was the craziest year of my life. I was working from home with a toddler who didn't understand why he couldn't go see his friends at daycare, and was in the office working, he was very lonely. I took frequent breaks from work to play with him, but it was very stressful trying to balance everything while staying at home. Not being able to take him to do the fun things that the area has to offer for toddlers broke my heart. not only is he not experiencing these fun activities, I am not able to experience it as a new mom either. Many people have become depressed and overwhelmed from the shutdowns, and we aren't passes it yet, its important to to keep yourself and mind active. Being in school has brought a light to me and my home. Ive enjoyed practicing on my fiancé and my son gets little facials too. Hopefully things can get back to normal soon.

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

@noracrainiectskin-com

I couldn't imagine the stresses of 2020 with the added stress of having a toddler! I had trouble taking care of myself this year, not to mention another tiny human. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

2020 was a stressful year for all of us. Personally, I'm an introvert who enjoyed my days at home alone while my roommate was at her 9-5 job and I worked at night. Once quarentine happened and she had to stay home, it really put a stress on our relationship. We started fighting more over stupid little things and eventually we just decided we shouldn't live together anymore. Thankfully we are still friends, but our time as roommates went south very quickly and I honestly think it was all because of quarentine. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com I agree I couldnt imagine going through all of this with a toddler. Milan and I have had so many conversations about how we cant imagine trying to balance the life of an older child too. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

At the beginning of 2020 my husband and I started the process of buying a house. As soon as things got bad with covid, our jobs closed down. Without that source of income we almost werent allowed to go through with it! We had a brand new baby and no jobs until further notice and bills to pay. Luckily we have been able to get through it and once things opened up, business actually did better than ever, but while all of that was going on, we had to find a way to manage our stress. I rode my peloton daily and went on walks. My husband turned the garage into a gym and worked out a lot. Our relationship definetly felt the stress of 2020. All that time together and we were ready to smack each other. I really dont know how I would have gotten through it without those bits of stress relief. The upside of work being closed was that we got to spend the first couple months of lukas life all together. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I never wouldve imagined that the toll stress could take on my mind and body at such a young age. Though, once coupled with anxiety, depression, and other internal/mental factors, having a rigid response to stress has literally made me more sick, fatigued, and open to points accessing points of rage that I have never experienced. I can imagine a ton of people are feeling the relative effects of stress, especially being stuck at home to work, teach, and try to continue life as normal as possible. My neighbors have absolutely become a massive point of stress for me personally now that we are home way more often. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com

I was just saying this! I am a homebody, even prior to the pandemic. But my neighbors are stressing me all the way out. I think it's tough with everyone being in the building way more frequently, but now I have conflicting schedules with people I don't even live with! Spending more time with and around people really gives you some insight about both yourself and your acquaintances. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!