Skin Care Trends

26 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

AESTHETIC MEDICAL TRENDS FOR 2021

The medical news for 2020 has obviously been dominated by things other than aesthetic medicine, as nearly all elective medical procedures have taken a back seat to COVID-19 for much of the year. However, this is not expected to lessen the public’s demand for aesthetic medical services as we emerge from the quarantines and shutdowns. 

Time moves forward, however, and beauty is always a priority. With that in mind, here are some of the up and coming trends we can expect to see in aesthetic medicine in 2021 and beyond.

The business side

Staffing

In recent years, a trend has emerged of staff rapidly moving from clinic to clinic without fully learning the job or honing their skills as well as they might have stayed in one place. 

In the end, it’s the client that suffers from this situation. When staff moves around frequently, they’re less likely to establish themselves deeply with clients or become really proficient at delivering treatments.

However, the pandemic has brought with it significant economic pressures, resulting in the closure of many aesthetic clinics. This, in turn, means there’s a larger pool of talent for clinics that do make it through the pandemic-related economic downturn. 

With more qualified applicants looking for work as the result of COVID economic pressures, clinics that are able to move forward will have an easier time finding and hiring highly qualified staff.

Pricing

With the economic changes brought about by the pandemic, medical aesthetic clinics will need to be more creative in finding ways to help patients pay for procedures.

According to Dr. Bruce Katz, Medical Director of the world’s original medi spa, New York’s JUVA Skin and Laser Center, it’s going to become more important in the near future to offer patients financing schemes.

“We have CareCredit, so patients can pay for a procedure and have a year to pay for it, without interest,” he says. “If people think that your treatments are important to them, we need to help people afford it.”

Others predict the advent of a pay-as-you-go model. Some patients, they predict, will remain comfortable with saving money by paying in advance. Others, however, will show more caution as they work to build back from economic downturns. 

Treatment trends

Preventative injectables

The anti-aging benefits of preventative injections of a variety of neuromodulators in early life mean that the trend for the next year and beyond will be increased proactive use of injectables such as Botox®, Dysport®, Jeuveau®, and Xeomin® on patients in their 20s and 30s. 

These injections earlier in adulthood can resolve minor aesthetic issues, ultimately meaning a patient who may otherwise have wanted more intensive plastic surgery later in life, will no longer feel the need for it.  

Inclusive treatments for all skin tones

Though it’s been a long time coming, hair care, skincare, and makeup are finally taking the steps to embrace all skin types and all skin tones. 

Not only that, but clinical treatments are also embracing a diversity of skin tones, more accurately reflecting the diversity of beauty and society. 

The trend for brands and treatment developers in 2021 will be to ensure advertising, imagery, and clinical trials are inclusive of the full range of skin tone diversity that we see in the human race. 

And this is only the beginning: expect to see the entire industry calling for more inclusivity in 2021.

Enhancement, not alteration

More than ever, patients these days are looking not for major alterations in appearance, but for more subtle enhancements instead. 

Laser treatments can tackle pigmentation, inflamed skin, and red veins while boosting brightness and collagen for more natural, balanced, younger-looking skin. With newer lasers, excess recovery time is also eliminated.

Super spas

In 2021 and beyond, spas will no longer be simply the domain of cucumber facials and relaxing massages. Up and coming spas will offer not just the expected pampering services, but will also increasingly add aesthetics services to the menu. Why settle for that facial when you can go for a nice chemical peel instead (while still enjoying that massage)?

The bounce back

Despite the difficulties 2020 has presented, the overall outlook for the aesthetic medicine industry is certainly not all doom and gloom.

According to a report by Markets and Markets, the medical aesthetics market is projected to grow by $5B in the next five years, climbing from $9.4B in 2020 to approximately $15.9B in 2025. Another study from the Aesthetic Medicine And Cosmetic Surgery Market states that “The global Aesthetic Medicine And Cosmetic Surgery market is anticipated to rise at a considerable rate… between 2020 and 2026.”

Says Dr. Stephen Mulholland, owner of SpaMedica in Toronto, “A lot of physicians are saying that demand will change forever and that people will stay away from excisional procedures in future. I’ve been through 9/11 and SARS,” he continues, “and can see that people always go back to beauty! Everything will go back to the way it was before – it’s human nature.”

Member Admin
Topic starter  

Care Credit is being accepted by plastic surgeons and other industry related fields. A person can pay for medical procedures that are not covered by medical insurance. Using Care Credit one can use special financing options. There is no interest charged on $200 or more if paid for by the end of the promotional period. The client can get up to 60 months of reduced APR financing. Care credit helps to make treatments or procedures possible for someone that can't come up with the payment at one time.

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I, for one, can't wait to get some undereye filler in my life. I fee like I have noticed way more advertising and marketing towards aesthetic services like fillers and other injectables, face lifts, and body work being promoted lately and I wasn't quite sure why. But I suppose it is a step in the right direction that spa's and med spa's are choosing to take the steps and invest in equipment and protocols that will open their business to the entire second half of the fitzpatrick scale....it's only 2021...but the void in education and training on colored skin needs to close as well for these implications to be productive. I was also quite interested in what a "Super Spa" would look like and how it they could culminate all of these aesthetic services in one place. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Care credit is definitely a lifesaver to a ton of consumers. I know personally, it has been a major relief in medical settings that aren't always the most acceoting when it come to insurance or vice versa with procedures that insurance cant/wont cover. I imagine it making some aesthetic procedures more attainable for more clients, making it a pretty good implement within businesses. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

I'm looking forward to the enhancing what you have rather than covering up. I've always been a natural person (mostly because I just don't know how to do makeup that well), but it's made me like the features that I have and learn how to work with what I've already got. However, if I do venture into the filler/botox world, it would be nice to know what payment plans could become available. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

Oh man I can get on board with a payment plan for my lips! There are a few little things I would like to get done but it's just too expensive. Having different payment options will get more people in the door! I also think its about time there were more diverse products when it comes to skin type. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

@francescablackiectskin-com It's probably in my best interest that i don't look into Care Credit. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com

I'm not someone who is really into the idea of care credit for myself. I'm sure it works for a ton of people, but me personally I don't like spending money that I don't have. Credit cards scare me. I would rather save up and pay for everything right when I get there

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

I think that this is a great idea. Not even just for procedures like fillers and botox but getting more intense facials done like microdermabrasions or chemical peels. These types of facials can be more expensive with trying to keep up with. Having a way to help break up those payments for those procedures would be a really cool idea that I would look into myself.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com I agree. I'm tempted to start doing some research on this myself but before I know it I'd be making an appointment for fillers. Instead I will wait until I hopefully find a great job in the field with better connections. 

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

It's definitely clear that the field of esthetics is rapidly changing, especially in response to new treatments and more interest from the public in receiving these treatments. It seems that getting fillers is incredibly common now, especially as people realize that they do not need major cosmetic surgery in order to obtain their treatment goals. It's also good to see the idea of financing some of the more costly treatments come into conversation. For a lot of people, making enhancements to their appearance isn't just about the aesthetic part of it. A lot of treatments can be life-altering for people who have insecurities about certain parts of their appearance that significantly hold them back in life. I think it's a really positive idea to make treatments like these more accessible in this way. It's really exciting to hear about the projected growth of the industry even within the next few years and I'm excited to see what changes come about as a result of it.

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

I am so excited to see that injectables and fillers are more prominent in the beauty industry today. Being that I would love to be in medical esthetics one day, I can't wait first learn how to do this, but also be apart of the growing industry. 

I know 2020 brought a whole lot of challenges to many different industries. But I feel like the beauty and skincare industry grew through the pandemic. I for one feel like my knowledge of skincare grew immensely! A big thanks needs to go to social media. There have been so many dermatologists, estheticians, and medical estheticians that have shared their knowledge and experience on various social media platforms! I think the growth of professional social media presence has played a big role on why this industry is booming right now!

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com 

I completely agree that the esthetics community is making small procedures like filler and Botox more accessible to people. Whether it be that it is more cost effective to get filler or Botox, or financing, more people are able to get treatments done. And it is not seen as a luxury that only a few people were able to get. This is great because it helps being fix/alter small insecurities, and are able to feel more confident in themselves. 

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com You make a great point about how the popularity of skincare online right now is changing the industry. There are so many great skincare professionals sharing informational videos online and it's clear that people are taking a huge interest in it. I'd be interested to see if this has resulted in any significant change in numbers for those who are receiving skin treatments, especially for those under 30 who seem to be the main demographic taking interest online right now.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I see new ingredients trending all the time. Many companies will have a trainer in their product line come out to the place your working to train you. When a ne product comes on the scene a representative will also be available to educate the staff on the ingredients. 

Its goo that their are fillers and Botox to offer people choices other than cosmetic surgery. I have seen quite a few ads on tv for fillers and the people in the ads look to be in their early thirties. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I am most certainly not opposed to getting a care credit card for maybe a little lip filler and botox in my forehead! 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com We had similar things like that in the hair industry. We would have a company send us their product like and then they would send out a rep to come train us and really explain in depth what it was. This was more with the keratin treatments, Brazilian blowouts, perms etc due to the high chemical content we really had to be trained and then take a certification course. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I think care credit is a great option for those wanting to get work done! Personally it's probably best if I don't use it because I feel like a credit card to get lip injections and other procedures are a dangerous way for me to get into a alot of debt!

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I would use Care Credit for fillers and Botox. I use it now to cover other Doctors that don't take my insurance. It has been a good deal for me as I have had to use it for dentist cosmetic procedures. I try to pay well over the minimum payment due every month. I would use it for plastic surgery also

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

I think skin care trends change every year, in 2023-2024 many very young kids even before pre teens are in sephora buying a bunch of luxury skin care products with retinol and ingredinets that are too harsh for their young skin.

ReplyQuote

@marlimartiniectskin-com I agree! I think botox and fillers are such a small and subtle procedure or it could be depending what you get and how much of it and it still can change so much and make you feel so confident.

ReplyQuote

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I love the impact that social media has on skin care trends sometimes, it promotes so many products for different skin types.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

I love the fact that spas and more places are offering financing options like after pay and care credit.  I know that to many people they feel like, if you can't afford to pay for it completely, you shouldn't buy it or get the treatment but the truth is that in this economy, most people can't afford to pay for self-care, which to me is a very important issue.  I, for example, feel my best when I get my nails done, get a facial and a massage.  I feel like a new person and I can afford it but even if I couldn't, if I were given the option and I really feel like I need it, I'd definitely take advantage.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com I noticed that this is an acceptable thing now and by parents wanting to "keep up with the trends" and be the "cool" parent, they are helping damage some of their kids skin.  I have watched videos on tik tok of 7 year olds having their own skincare routine.  I'm all for them washing their face and using moisturizer and sunscreen but they go way over the top.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com The problem is that some people that are not trained to give skincare advice pass on everything as a solution to everybody's skin, when we know that one size does not fit all.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com I have seen many women get botox and they look great.  Then I've seen some others that take it to the extreme.  I think it's best to start really small and adjust according to how one looks.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!