9 Users
1 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Vitamin D in acute stress and critical illness

Abstract

Purpose of review

The pleotropic effects of vitamin D on chronic diseases have received significant attention; however, its role in acute illness is less understood. The purpose of this review is to summarize the current evidence regarding the role of vitamin D in acute stress and critical illness.

Recent findings

25-Hydroxyvitamin D levels may affect risk of developing acute illnesses (e.g. respiratory infections), and low concentrations are associated with unfavorable outcomes during critical care. Inflammatory changes alone do not explain the observed deterioration in vitamin D status following acute stress. Hemodilution, interstitial extravasation, decreased synthesis of binding proteins, and renal wasting of 25-hydroxyvitamin D, all appear to play a more significant role in the regulation of vitamin D status during critical illness.

Summary

Single-point assessments of 25-hydroxyvitamin D following acute stress may provide an inaccurate assessment of vitamin D status. In such cases, measurement of binding proteins and free vitamin D metabolites may be essential to create a more realistic approximation of vitamin D status. Variations in patient responses to acute stress and critical illness may depend not only on the degree of systemic vitamin D insufficiency, but also on the individual tissue requirements.

Keywords: 25(OH)D, acute illness, critical care, vitamin D

INTRODUCTION

The prevalence of low vitamin D status has increased in the general population [1]. This is concerning given the growing recognition of the association between vitamin D insufficiency and increased risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and pulmonary ailments [27]. Indeed, preliminary trials – although not uniform in their results – suggest that vitamin D supplementation may mitigate the incidence and adverse outcomes of these diseases and may reduce all-cause mortality [811, 12■]. Although its pleotropic effects on chronic diseases have received significant attention, the role of vitamin D in acute illness is less understood. In this review, we summarize current evidence and conclude that vitamin D status may play an important role in acute stress and critical illness.

MEASURING VITAMIN D STATUS

Vitamin D, a 27-carbon secosteroid, is unlike most other hormones. Differences in source (endogenous vs. exogenous prehormone), extensive need for tissue modification (skin vs. liver vs. kidney), an active intermediary prohormone {25-hydroxy-vitamin D [25(OH)D]}, and a critical set of modulators [parathyroid hormone (PTH), calcium, phosphorus, and fibroblast growth factor-23 (FGF-23)] add to the complexity of vitamin D regulation [13]. Taken together, these factors complicate the direct measurement of vitamin D, as well as which parameter would best reflect overall vitamin D status [14].

Upon exposure to ultraviolet B irradiation, endogenous synthesis of vitamin D3 starts with a photochemical reaction in the epidermis (Fig. 1). Alternatively, vitamin D3 can be supplied exogenously as a nutrient or obtained through a dietary intake of fatty fish and vitamin D-enriched foods. Specially treated plant materials can also contribute to vitamin D intake in the form of vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). Although their metabolic pathways are identical and both may contribute to vitamin D adequacy, vitamin D3 appears to be more efficiently metabolized [12■, 15, 16].

An external file that holds a picture, illustration, etc.
Object name is nihms495658f1.jpg

Synthetic pathway of the major vitamin D metabolites. (1) Reaction catalyzed by UVB (290–310 nm). (2) Isomerization reaction catalyzed by heat. (3) Reaction catalyzed by 25-hydroxylase. (4) Reaction catalyzed by renal 1-a-hydroxylase. (5). Reaction catalyzed by tissue 1-a-hydroxylase. 1,25(OH)2D3, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3; 25(OH)D3, 25-hydroxyvitamin D3; DBP, vitamin D-binding protein.

Vitamin D traverses the systemic circulation after binding to vitamin D-binding protein (DBP) and is hydroxylated in the liver to 25(OH)D. 25(OH)D is rapidly released by the liver into the circulation, where under normal circumstances, it exhibits a biological half-life of approximately 2–3 weeks [17]. In the kidney, 25(OH)D is enzymatically converted to the vitamin D hormone calcitriol {1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D [1,25(OH)2D]}, which is the most biologically active metabolite of the vitamin D synthesis pathway. This final step is rigidly controlled by the stimulus of PTH, inhibition by FGF-23, and circulating levels of calcium, phosphorus, and 1,25(OH)2D itself [13]. Circulating 25(OH)D levels are, however, approximately 500–1000 times higher than 1,25(OH)2D levels, and both 25(OH)D and 1,25(OH)2D are predominantly protein-bound in circulation. Indeed, only 0.03% of 25(OH)D is free, with close to 88% bound to DBP and the remainder to albumin [18■].

Serum 25(OH)D levels reflect overall vitamin D body stores from sunlight exposure and dietary intake [14]. Under normal circumstances, it is the best indicator of vitamin D status [19■, 20]. This is unusual in the sense that a metabolite one step removed from the most biologically active form is used to assess adequacy. Nonetheless, 25(OH)D is the most abundant vitamin D metabolite and its relative stability in the systemic circulation makes it a good indicator of vitamin D stores in the general population. However, recent evidence suggests that significant variation in 25(OH)D levels may occur from hour to hour in acutely ill patients and that single-point assessments may be inaccurate estimates of vitamin D status in such patients [21■■]. On the contrary, 1,25(OH)2D is present in picomolar concentrations and, because it is tightly regulated, the concentration can remain normal or even be elevated, despite evidence of deficiency [17]. Moreover, in stark contrast to 25(OH)D, the half-life of 1,25(OH)2D is only a few hours [18■]. Furthermore, measurement of 1,25(OH)2D maybe confounded by the greater technical difficulty in performing the assay and by conditions such as renal insufficiency or advanced aging that reduce 1-a-hydroxylase activity, which is a major cause of low levels of 1,25(OH)2D independent of vitamin D stores [14, 22].

25-HYDROXYVITAMIN D AS A BIOMARKER

The role of 25(OH)D levels as a biomarker for disease is controversial. Widespread utilization of thresholds to define disease risk has led to multiple issues from both a clinical and research perspective [23]. To date, there is no consensus about the optimal definitions of either vitamin D deficiency or insufficiency, and diverse cut points for 25(OH)D levels have been suggested, ranging from 16 to 48 ng/ml [19■, 2426]. This uncertainty is likely to be multifactorial, including inadequate standardization of vitamin D assay methodologies [14] and differences in the measured functional endpoints used by various investigators, which arise from the classic and nonclassic effects of vitamin D.

The classic function of vitamin D is the control of extracellular calcium metabolism by regulating absorption in epithelia involved in calcium transport. Consequently, the traditional ‘low normal’ level for 25(OH)D was 10ng/ml (to convert to nmol/l, multiply by 2.496), as this threshold had the advantage of high specificity for rickets and osteomalacia [13, 17]. Since low vitamin D status stimulates PTH secretion to increase intestinal calcium absorption and bone resorption to maintain calcium balance, it has been proposed that vitamin D sufficiency be described as the concentration of 25(OH)D which achieves maximal PTH suppression [27]. In this regard, vitamin D sufficiency is defined by a 25(OH)D level of 28ng/ml [28]. On the basis of studies on fracture prevention, most investigators have adopted the definition of vitamin D insufficiency as 25(OH)D concentrations less than 30ng/ml and deficiency below 20ng/ml [17, 27, 29]. However, the 2011 report from the Institute of Medicine defined vitamin D adequacy as 25(OH)D levels between 20 and 50ng/ml, on the basis of an estimate that 25(OH)D levels of 20ng/ml would protect 97.5% of the healthy population from skeletal disorders and the higher risk of vitamin D toxicity at 25(OH)D levels above 50ng/ml [19■, 30■].

The nonclassic function of vitamin D includes regulation of cell proliferation and differentiation, regulation of hormone secretion, and the regulation of immune function [20, 31]. These effects take place on a cellular level and are directly dependent on 25(OH)D levels [32]. Indeed, cells of the neuromuscular, cardiovascular, endocrine, and immune system express the vitamin D receptor (VDR) [33]. Furthermore, most of these cells express the 25(OH)D-1-a-hydroxylase, to produce 1,25(OH)2D for autocrine and paracrine use within the target cell itself [13, 34]. The discovery of VDRs in activated immune cells has particularly stimulated research into the role of vitamin D in immune function [35■]. It is now recognized that vitamin D plays a critical role in the regulation of the innate and the adaptive immune systems [36, 37]. 1,25(OH)2D inhibits adaptive immunity by attenuating the proliferation and differentiation of both T and B lymphocytes, which is thought to ameliorate the severity of autoimmune diseases [38]. In contrast to its inhibitory role in adaptive immunity, 1,25(OH)2D is a potent activator of the innate immune system [39]. Innate immunity represents the first line of defense against microbial invasion and constitutes both epithelial and mucosal cells, as well as polymorphonuclear leukocytes, monocytes, and macrophages [38]. The central mechanism underlying microbial eradication is the activation of toll-like receptors in the host cell, which induces formation of potent antimicrobial peptides, such as cathelicidin [40]. Macrophages and epithelial cells respond to both circulating and local 1,25(OH)2D synthesized by 1-a-hydroxylase activity on 25(OH)D. Recent evidence suggests that 25(OH)D levels of approximately 30–35ng/ml might be sufficient for vitamin D to optimize its cathelicidin effects [41■].

25-HYDROXYVITAMIN D LEVELS AND ACUTE ILLNESS

Seasonal variations in influenza and pneumococcal community-acquired pneumonia suggest that vitaminD, through its antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and/or immunomodulatory actions, may play an important role in disease risk [42, 43]. Although a number of early clinical studies suggested anassociation between 25(OH)D levels below 10ng/ml and acute respiratory tract infections (ARIs) [44, 45], recent studies have furnished more compelling evidence (Table 1). Two large retrospective studies demonstrated that 25(OH)D levels below 30ng/ml are associated with increased risk for upper respiratory tract infections (URIs) [46, 47■■]. This evidence is further strengthened by a prospective, observational cohort study, which demonstrated an almost twofold reduction inviral URI risk when serum 25(OH)D levels were at least 38ng/ml [48]. Low 25(OH)D levels have also been shown to significantly increase the risk of work absenteeism owing to URIs [49]. Evidence from randomized clinical trials (RCTs) is limited, but in general, suggests that improved vitamin D status through supplementation is associated with a lower incidence of ARIs [50].

(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

Vitamin D is extremely helpful in reducing stress! I remember reading that adding just 1,000 international units of vitamin D to your system can reduce stress, fatigue, depression and anxiety. We can get our vitamin D from the sun, our food and with supplements. I have depression and I noticed a tremendous reduction when I moved to Colorado and started hiking and climbing mountains almost every day. Not only was I exercising, I was outside in the sun ALL THE TIME. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

I knew that vitamin D has a lot of benefits, but after reading this, I know what to go fill my fridge with orange juice, take vitamin d supplements everyday and stay in the same. Plus get whatever I can with vitamin d. haha. Many people struggle with stress and depression, especially this year, even taking daily supplements could help reduce the 2020 stress, im going to try.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

using vitamin d in skincare can help reinforce the skin's barrier, offer protection against environmental factors and reduce inflammation. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

Being low on vitamin D can lead to many different problems such as sickness, issues with the bones and muscles, depression or sadness, loss of appetite, etc. You can go and get your vitamin levels checked as well to know if you are deficient in Vitamin D. Most of the time vitamin D levels are lowest in the winter time because of the reduced exposure to sunlight. 

ReplyQuote

@noracrainiectskin-com I struggle a lot in the winter since I never really go outside because of the cold. I really need to start taking vitamin d supplements all year round, but mostly in the winter since I love being outdoors in the spring and summer time.

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com Colorado is such a great place to be outside and go outside to exercise, especially with all of the landscapes there are! I definitely find it hard in Virginia.  During the winter I get seasonal depression so if I were to increase my vitamin d levels i'm sure it will help tremendously.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

I have not ever tried Vitamin D in order to relieve stress, but now I am interested because I suffer from chronic stress.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I agree, I also find it hard to go outside in the colder months, cold weather makes me feel depressed. I thrive most in summertime and warm weather when I love to be outside alll the time.

ReplyQuote

@noracrainiectskin-com I definently think this article convinced me to ry Vitamin D supplements too.

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

I had a blood test done about a year ago and I was told that I have a vitamin D deficency. I never read too much into it but just decided to start taking suppliments for it about 3 months ago and i have noticed a tremendous differnece within myself. This article made me very glad that I made that decison so it didn't keep affecting me and the way I feel.

ReplyQuote

@karyssamarleriectskin-com Ever since i started taking the vitamin my stress levels have gone down so much.

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com I used to struggle with very bad stress, anxiety, and fatigue but once I started taking this suppliment and going outside more I have noticed a huge differnce within myself I have been a lot more energized and motivated.

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

I started taking between 1000-5000 ius of Vitamin D everyday again. My vitamin D was very low in blood work and for about a month I had to take 50,000 ius once a week. My mood, sleep, stress, mind and body feels so much better with this supplement! Major difference when vitamin D levels are where they are supposed to be! 

ReplyQuote
(@melissalandersiectskin-com)

@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com Vitamin D works wonders!  I take it daily.  5000/day for 5 days, 10000 for 2 days.  It makes a huge difference in how I feel.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!