Netiquette

18 Posts
10 Users
6 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Top Five Rules of Netiquette in an Online Course

written by: Laurie Patsalides • edited by: Laurie Patsalides • updated: 12/14/2011

Be prepared to communicate effectively when taking an online course. Following these simple netiquette rules in your online class or education environment will ensure your success!

• With the onset of the online education environment and the expansion of online courses, a new buzzword has evolved called netiquette. Simply defined, it means etiquette on the Internet (or net).

In an online course you will have your communication skills tested! You will be speaking through writing both to fellow students and instructors, so it is imperative to communicate well and professionally.

Let's look at five important netiquette rules in an online course or education environment:

• Be Friendly, Positive and Self- Reflective

When people cannot see you, and also do not know you, feelings can be hurt if you are not careful in how you express yourself. The old saying, think before you speak is important here. Think before you write. One word of advice is, do not respond when you feel angry. Wait. Write it down somewhere and come back to it. When you do, you may find that you no longer feel the same way as you did when you wrote it, because you have had time to reflect about the situation. Last, if you still feel the need to be heard, then edit before you post, and write it in terms that are easily embraced. This is also true when you feel a critique is necessary; say it in a positive tone. Reread what you have written to be sure it is positive.

• Use Proper Language and Titles

Do not use slang or even profane words in an online education environment, even if they are words you consider, "not so bad," as they will sound offensive to the reader. Do not refer to your professor as "Doc" or by his or her first name, unless it is acceptable with him or her to do so. Also, do not use caps lock when typing. It will insinuate yelling. That would hurt someone's feelings and possibly give him (or her) the wrong impression of you.

• Use Effective Communication

Say what you mean to say. This takes practice and thoughtful writing. Try to speak and write clearly at all times. Again, reread before you respond. Define and restate your words when necessary. Correct a misunderstanding right away. Chances are, if one person felt a certain way about what you said, another may have as well. Likewise, be mindful of chosen words and joking. Let's say for example, I write, "get out!" This slang term can be interpreted in several ways, either positively or negatively.

• Professionalism

Leave the characters like smiley faces, and instant message abbreviations out. Your friends may like it, but chances are your professor will not. Save it for personal conversations or definitely ask for permission before using them. They may be interpreted as childish or too casual for the online education environment. Last, always say please and thank you.

• Ask for Clarification

If you are unsure of what was said, or the instructor's directive, or are trying to interpret a person's expressions, then ask again. Do not sit in silence either misunderstanding or feeling offended. Do not interrupt though; wait until there is a break in the conversation, or until the open interaction occurs. Your instructor will appreciate your responsiveness and maturity. A simple way to do this is to say (or write), "I did not understand...", which will always keep the onus for the misunderstanding on yourself.

• The Golden Rule of Netiquette

With these top five netiquette rules, you are on your way to a great grade in your online course. Most importantly, when speaking in an online course or in any online environment for that matter, the same rules apply for etiquette as in real-time. The golden rule of netiquette in an online class or environment is, do not do or say online what you would not do or say offline.

• These rules of netiquette are provided by author, Laurie Patsalides; please remember to reference.

(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I like this alot. This needs to be taught to my generation lol. You can't just say whatever you want online because it makes you come across as a fool. And karma is real. This is why I don't really post much on my social media, or when there's a heated debate where people are really getting into it I don't involve myself because I don't have time for drama. I think etiquette is really needed in our culture these days. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This is something everyone should know about especially in business. Do not type in capital letters to someone as this is perceived as yelling. Do not forget there is a real person on the other end of your post and you should not just say anything you want as their feeling can be hurt. Use good manners just as you would if you were face to face.

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I agree with Carlie, I think this could help with personal online activities as well. A lot of people do not care about how they talk on the internet. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

A lot of people don't even know how to have a decent conversation face to face due to the fact everything is all digital. I am not really sure where all the slang came from like "lol" "btw" "omg" etc, but in my opinion its fine to use it over text its not that big of a deal when you're texting with friends but when you're in school or at work you should always be using the right punctuation, grammer etc. As for when you are having a debate with someone about politics or just day to day things make sure to be clear in what you're saying, don't use so much slang, curse or all caps because you're going to come off as rude and you will most likely look extremely ignorant. 

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

Kindness first, always think before you post, be clear in your communication, and remember that what you post on the internet is forever. 

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

This is great suggested etiquette, i really mean netiquette! These suggestions are good for online, as well as a model to live by everyday whether online with a class, or social media, etc. It's very disturbing how many people are using methods on social media, that are very damaging to others, but also displays a lot about a person. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I feel that it is important to be able to articulate yourself precisely in nonverbal communication simply to avoid confusion. This article gives simple, effective measures that really could really help technology users today. There is no need for slang, abbreviated text, and anagrams within the workplace email or other public forum. Although in forums such as this, where participants may or may not have met physically, the parts of speech like diction that help us understand the meaning of what is being said and may be synonymous with our vernacular are not being portrayed. If someone does not know you, they will not be able to "read in your voice" or understand what it is that you are trying to day. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Ive always been a person where i wont say anything online that could bite me in the butt later. Talking and writing nice to someone is very important and definitley most important in your own busisness. 

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com Kindness is key and yes everything you post stays on the internet forever.

ReplyQuote

@deborah I have never used capital letters when having a conversation. It honestly can be scary if someone is typing all capital.

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

When emailing someone I try to be professional or when I am texting someone like my boss. The only time I will use all capital letters is when I need to emphasize a word and that's only when I am speaking with a friend. I try to use correct grammar and punctuation as well.

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com You see so many influencers or celebrities having old social media posts being brought to light because what they said was controversial. I have always made sure to not post anything that could be brought up in anyway and hurt me. I've always been told to be careful about what you post on social media because a potential employer could use it against you. 

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com I agree with you 100%. I would never comment on someones post and say something badly about them. I am the type of person if i see you bettering yourself and you post about it I will comment and lift you up as well. When you're texting your friend or something like that you can use slang but you need to know when and when not to use it. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

I've seen so many inappropriate comments on face book its really bad. The  internet platforms should be a place where people can post their thoughts and not be attacked. Many people would not say the things I've seen posted if they were having a face to face chat 

It has become so bad I do not post my comments anywhere. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

I've seen so many inappropriate comments on face book its really bad. The  internet platforms should be a place where people can post their thoughts and not be attacked. Many people would not say the things I've seen posted if they were having a face to face chat 

It has become so bad I do not post my comments anywhere. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

Yes it is and it conveys as anger in the conversation. Some people seem angry and upset about things all the time. Can you imagine having a conversation like this all the time. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

Yes it is and it conveys as anger in the conversation. Some people seem angry and upset about things all the time. Can you imagine having a conversation like this all the time. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!