Clear all

Melanoma

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

20-year-old man died months after being diagnosed with skin cancer that developed from a mole on his arm.

Tom Linton, a college student and bank worker from Chester-le-Street in the U.K., was diagnosed with melanoma in January 2020 and died in May that year, Chronicle Live reported.

Before he died, Tom Linton's final wish was for his family to raise awareness of the disease so other people would be spared his experience, according to his mom, Amanda Linton. In the U.K., 16,744 new cases of melanoma skin cancer are diagnosed each year, and over 2,000 people die from the disease, according to the charity Cancer Research U.K. It is most common in people aged 85 to 89 years old, and rates have more than doubled since the early 1990s—almost tripling in men.

Being exposed to ultraviolet rays, such as from the sun or tanning beds, is a major risk factor for developing melanoma as this can damage the skin.

Kerry Rafferty, who founded the charity Melanoma-Me after she was diagnosed with the disease, told Chronicle Live that Tom "did everything right" by not using sunbeds, never getting sunburned, and using sunscreen.

Rafferty said: "I don't think people realize you can be born with melanoma, and it can be passed on from parents, and that it's not always caused by the sun."

To mark two years since Tom Linton died, his family and Melanoma-Me are holding a festival called "Tom's Fest," with performances from Pink, Freddie Mercury, and Dua Lipa tribute acts in May.

Amanda Linton described her son as "very lovable" and said he was popular and had lots of friends.

"Nobody had anything bad to say about him. He touched the hearts of everyone he met," she said.

His mom said her son started to feel ill and lose weight a month before Christmas in 2019. He then began experiencing chest pains and blue spots appeared on his body. Tom Linton was taken to hospital after passing out while he was out with friends. Tests revealed he had cancer in his liver, kidneys, and lungs.

"I was rubbing his arm as he was in pain and I noticed a mole on his arm. The doctor said he thought it definitely came from that mole," Amanda Linton said.

For his 18th birthday, Tom Linton got a tattoo over the mole, and his artist had advised him to get it checked out at the time.

"When I asked him about the mole he said: 'Mum, I really didn't think it was anything as bad as this'."

After Tom Linton died, his best friend Bailey Macdonald told the Sunderland Echo in September 2020: "Tom was the most lighthearted, cheerful lad that you could ever meet. He was always the first person to ask how I was getting on and the first person to comfort me during any hardship.

skin cancer doctor mole
A stock image shows a doctor examining a patient's mole. Tom Linton died after he developed a form of skin cancer known as melanoma.GETTY IMAGES

Member Admin
Topic starter  

This a very sad article. Moles in any form can be any type of cancer or totally normal. One must be checked and a lot of people have full body scans 1 time a year. I recently had 2 moles removed as they were concerning. The Doctor froze them and they were non cancerous. Prior to that I have kept watch on moles I have. Melanoma can appear on any part of the body. It can be found in the scalp. under fingernails and toenails

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

Knowing someone's biopsy comes back as melanoma is always a scary thing and something that should be dealt with right away to prevent it from spreading (which it does very fast). Bob Marley had melanoma under his toenail and that eventually spread to his brain, lungs, and liver and killed him at the age of 36 years old. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

When I do my client consultations and skin assessments I always be sure to pay attention to any moles, bumps, or odd looking marks on the skin. I always be sure to ask my clients about sun exposure and if they are avid tanning bed users. I had a client come in who was a very avid tanning bed user, was a sun lover during the summer. She did not wear sunscreen and she had extreme sun damage to the face as well as the body. Hyperpigmentation and sun spots all over. She had a spot on her nose that was rough and pearly looking. It like like a basal cell. I told her she needed to make an appointment with her dermatologist as soon as she can to get that looked at and biopsied. As estheticians and master estheticians it is very important to know the signs and what these types of cancers look like showing up on the skim. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com It is very scary to know that moles can either be completely normal or then can be cancerous. Thats why it is so important to have yearly checkups and scans with your dermatologists and if you feel like a spot if concerning always go to the derm to get it checked out even if it turns out to be nothing. Melanoma is very serious and can be deadly of not caught early enough. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

My family is naturally mole-prone and regularly have to get checked just in case. I didnt really have any until i hit puberty. I have been telling myself i need to go get the moles i do have checked out for quite some time now and have yet to do it. I also have to wear loads of sunscreen in the summer so i always have to be mindful to reapply. I have a friend who is an absolute beach addict in the summer and will put on oil and quite literally roast in the sun. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com 

Yes Gabby we must look at the clients skin and let them know if you see a spot that has not been there before or a changing spot. We cannot diagnose but we can suggest the client see a Dr to get it checked

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

From working in a dermatology office for the past three years i have seen quite a few melanomas. Some are in situ and others metastatic and in between. There was one patient in particular he was around 22 and he came in for a growth on his shoulder and it didn't look like your normal melanoma. We biopsied it and it came back at metastatic so we had to refer him to Duke to get CT scans. He is okay but he had been to another derm office and they told him it was totally benign.  

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

Melanoma is on the rise in younger men and women. I know a lady that was diagnosed at age 21. It was a very small brown spot on her neck and she went to the Dr for him to look at a mole she was concerned with. He said the very small one was the worrisome one. Come to find out it was melanoma. She had surgery and lymph nodes had to be removed in her neck as well. She had a large scar. She has had checkups and has remained cancer free for at least 12 years

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

Before I began this course I wasnt aware of melanomas. I believe that it isnt a topic that doesnt get taked about or educated on as much as it should. I believe we should be learning about this in middle school when we start learning about eating right and exercising.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I agree that its on the rise for many people my age. I believe this generation is outside more and in the sun alot. Its something to be aware of because it can cause serious health issues. 

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com After reading this article and your post I am looking into seeing a dermatologist. I feel like its important to do in your adulthood just to make sure you are okay.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

My parents get their moles checked at least once a year. I have quite a few moles on my body and I need to start getting them checked out every year. Before taking this course I never had a good understanding of it I had just heard about it. I think more adults should be aware about getting moles checked every year just to be safe

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com I never knew that was his reason for passing. It is so scary that it can spread that quickly

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com Same here. Both of my parents have a ton of moles on their body. They were also very bad about putting baby oil on to tan when they were younger so that is another reason why they get checked.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!