Consultation - Vaping

32 Posts
17 Users
1 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Potential links to lung illnesses and e-cigarettes under investigation: CDC

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/gma/us.abcnews.go.com/teen-vaping-gty-mem-180503_hpMain_16x9_992.jp g" alt="" data-reactid="14" />

Potential links to lung illnesses and e-cigarettes under investigation: CDC originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Federal health officials are investigating potential links between lung illnesses and e-cigarettes amid the soaring popularity of so-called vaping among young people.

Since June 28, there have been at least 94 cases reported across several states involving people with "severe pulmonary disease" possibly tied to vaping, with the majority of those affected being teenagers and young adults, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

At least 30 of those cases were reported in Wisconsin, the CDC said in a statement Friday.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Health/teen-vaping-gty-mem-180503_hpMain_16x9_608.jp g" alt="PHOTO: In this undated stock photo, a teen is smoking an e-cigarette. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)" data-reactid="30" />

PHOTO: In this undated stock photo, a teen is smoking an e-cigarette. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)

The CDC said it is working with health departments in Wisconsin, Illinois, California, Indiana and Minnesota to investigate a potential link between breathing problems and the use of e-cigarettes, which are thought to be healthier than traditional means of smoking.

(MORE: What parents need to know about vaping and kids)

"Additional states have alerted CDC to possible (not confirmed) cases and investigations into these cases are ongoing," the statement said. "There is no conclusive evidence that an infectious disease is causing the illnesses."

While some cases in each of the states are similar and appear to be linked to e-cigarette product use, more information is needed to determine what is causing the illnesses, the CDC said.

(MORE: Minnesota Dept. of Health says ‘severe lung injury’ cases might be related to vaping)

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration also is investigating reports of seizures among e-cigarette users.

Seizures are a potential side effect of nicotine toxicity, but a recent uptick in "reports of adverse experiences with tobacco products that mentioned seizures occurring with e-cigarette use (e.g., vaping) signal a potential emerging safety issue," the FDA said in April.

ABC News' Ella Torres contributed to this report.

(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I mean it kinda makes sense since the vapor is actually an aerosol that attaches to the cells especially if it has chemicals in it. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I think there has to be something bad about it because  your heating up chemicals and any type of smoke or vapor whatever it is, is bad for the lungs

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

I always find things from the CDC very intriguing, how they group things is a bit odd to me. If you do to the Wisconsin statement of 30 it is not just vaping, it includes things like dabbing and to me that should be kept very separate. I will be looking forward to what they find from specifically the vaping cases though.

ReplyQuote
(@virginiaduffiectskin-com)

If the makers of e-cigarettes were honest they know inhaling vapor with nicotine is as bad as inhaling smoke but e-cigs allowed smokers to smoke indoors again because the vapor didn't travel and remain in the air for other people to inhale.  They didn't have a lingering smell like cigarettes do making the room smell unclean.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Vaping and E-cigarettes were all the hype for the last 10 years or so . For some it did help them beat their nicotine addiction but for some made it even worse. This article was written in 2019 , and After July 13, 2022, any synthetic nicotine product not authorized by FDA must come off the market. President Biden is said to put a ban on any synthetic nicotine products. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

When vaping and e ciggs first came out, it was supposed to be a "healthier" solution to smoking. Its crazy to see how many people are still using them even though it has been put out there that it is so much worse than actual ciggs. I tried using it back in the day, and after a while, i noticed that i was feeling worse and my asthma was worse. But, even though people know something is bad for them, doesnt stop them from doing it. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Vaping is supposed to be a better alternative cigerattes. But some brands have said that is can be worse for you.

ReplyQuote

@virginiaduffiectskin-com E-ciggerates do not smell and they make flavor kinds so that why teenagers and young adults vape so much now.

ReplyQuote

@noracrainiectskin-com I totally agree with you. Vaping is so easy now that even though it worse its just a lil tiny stick you can take out of your pocket and hit instead of lighting a cigeratte and it stink up the room.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com I agree heating up a chemical that contains nicotine sounds like it'll lead to disastrous health issues and it has 

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

I noticed that the younger generation seems to be the people vaping. Many of them shouldnt that have one arent of age to buy it. Vaping has definately became the new cigerattes. Its suppose to be a healther option but after this article i dont understand how we can call it that now.

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com Yes i see how it can be worse. I believe many people picked up this habit because unlike ciggaretts vaping has a variety of flavors that can appeal to anyone. 

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com I agree any product that can damage your lungs should never be considered healthy. 

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I do admit I vape when I am not even of age. I wish I had never started but I started at a young age before they changed the law when you could be 18 and buy nicotine. It was easy to get your hands on and it is still now easy for anyone to get one. I don't think it is healthier in any way, I think that is what causes me to get sick sometimes. 

ReplyQuote

@tabethapetersoniectskin-com I have been hearing more and more about people getting sick or even dying from vapes and even pens.

ReplyQuote

@virginiaduffiectskin-com I agree with you, I can see why people would switch to e-cigarettes only because of the smell cigarettes have.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

As a cigarette smoker who has switched to vaping, vaping is more addicting than cigarettes. Not only is it something they have put in the vapes but if you're craving nicotine, you can pretty much hit a vape in a public bathroom and no one would smell it. 

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

Vaping really is such a shame because many young people do it and the audience gets younger and younger each year. Personally I vaped for a couple years but I was able to quit pretty easily. However I have many friends who have vaped sine they were 13 and still havent been able to quit. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com Honestly I think vaping is way worse than cigarettes because of how accessible it is, it becomes a habit because you can do it inside and anywhere without a smell and minimal smoke.

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com I agree, and when the vapes get burnt and the people continue to inhal it its just inhaling like burnt plastic, has to be horrible for your lungs.

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

Posted by: @deborah

http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/gma/us.abcnews.go.com/teen-vaping-gty-mem-180503_hpMain_16x9_992.jp g" alt="" data-reactid="14" />

Potential links to lung illnesses and e-cigarettes under investigation: CDC originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Federal health officials are investigating potential links between lung illnesses and e-cigarettes amid the soaring popularity of so-called vaping among young people.

Since June 28, there have been at least 94 cases reported across several states involving people with "severe pulmonary disease" possibly tied to vaping, with the majority of those affected being teenagers and young adults, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

At least 30 of those cases were reported in Wisconsin, the CDC said in a statement Friday.

https://s.abcnews.com/images/Health/teen-vaping-gty-mem-180503_hpMain_16x9_608.jp g" alt="PHOTO: In this undated stock photo, a teen is smoking an e-cigarette. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)" data-reactid="30" />

PHOTO: In this undated stock photo, a teen is smoking an e-cigarette. (STOCK PHOTO/Getty Images)

The CDC said it is working with health departments in Wisconsin, Illinois, California, Indiana and Minnesota to investigate a potential link between breathing problems and the use of e-cigarettes, which are thought to be healthier than traditional means of smoking.

(MORE: What parents need to know about vaping and kids)

"Additional states have alerted CDC to possible (not confirmed) cases and investigations into these cases are ongoing," the statement said. "There is no conclusive evidence that an infectious disease is causing the illnesses."

While some cases in each of the states are similar and appear to be linked to e-cigarette product use, more information is needed to determine what is causing the illnesses, the CDC said.

(MORE: Minnesota Dept. of Health says ‘severe lung injury’ cases might be related to vaping)

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration also is investigating reports of seizures among e-cigarette users.

Seizures are a potential side effect of nicotine toxicity, but a recent uptick in "reports of adverse experiences with tobacco products that mentioned seizures occurring with e-cigarette use (e.g., vaping) signal a potential emerging safety issue," the FDA said in April.

ABC News' Ella Torres contributed to this report.

ReplyQuote

I can believe that vaping is causing issues such as these. You are inhaling toxic chemicals and they are at anyone's convenience. You can use them inside and at anytime. When smoking cigarettes you usually have to be outside which makes people not use them as frequently. A lot of my friends have been vaping since 15/16 and have not been able to quit. It's scary that it's commonly used by the younger generation.

ReplyQuote

@karyssamarleriectskin-com I can relate to this I vaped in highschool for about a year and it was pretty easy for me to quit as well. I cannot say the same for quite a few of my friends they have been vaping for about 5/6 years now. It's scary to think about how accessible it was when I was under age.

ReplyQuote

@emmamidgettiectskin-com My friends that still vape have said the same they have re-occuring issues such as sore throats which lead to body aches and feeling like you are very sick. They swear up and down it is due to the vape.

ReplyQuote
(@melissalandersiectskin-com)

Vaping is so new it is scary to think how many issues will continue to appear.  I have heard that is super hard to quit.  

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

I tried vaping for a bit - I used to smoke cigarettes off and on. Vaping tastes better but its just as harmful. Its crazy to think how accessible vaping is and how young people are already hooked on it. 

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

@melissalandersiectskin-com I think there's a commerical or maybe I saw a post shared on Facebook of a woman in her 20s or 30s who vaped but now has to be on oxygen for the rest of her life because it messed up her lungs.

ReplyQuote
(@brianahetlandiectskin-com)

I am a smoker and when the vapes came out I didn't like them. I don't like smoking cigarettes but its just a bad habit I cant overcome. I like using the vape as an alternative because I don't like how sweet it is so I feel like I don't use it as often as I would if I were to smoke a cigarette. It isn't my favorite thing because the long-term effects are definitely on my mind when I'm using. 

ReplyQuote
(@brianahetlandiectskin-com)

@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com I see or hear things like this and it really does make me hesitate when I try to pick it up

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!