Clear all

Consultation - Sitting is the New Smoking

24 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

(CNN)Sitting is the new smoking, we're told, and suddenly sit-stand desks are everywhere. But do we know just how healthy they are and the best ways to use them?

Science is just now catching up to the trend, and you might be surprised at what research has uncovered.
"When they first came out, sit-stand desks were marketed as a way to lose weight, right? The next kind of cure to obesity," said April Chambers, assistant professor of bioengineering at the University of Pittsburgh. "And they just don't do that."
Chambers and colleagues from Tufts University and the Office Ergonomics Research Committee recently conducted a review of sit-stand desk research on a variety of health and work benefits ranging from posture to productivity to pain relief.

The health benefits of standing desks

Where sit-stand desks had the most impact, the analysis found, was in relieving discomfort.
"We saw consistently across the studies an improvement in discomfort and pain as people use the desks," Chambers said. "And this was found not only in people who, for example, experienced low back pain, but also in adults with obesity and in healthy populations as well."
The study also looked at attentiveness: "They don't make you more alert, but they don't make you less alert." As for improved workplace mood, researchers found "inconclusive" results, and for workplace productivity, they "didn't see any negative effects on work performance."
"So using them doesn't make you work slower or worse than you used to," Chambers said, "which is good, especially from a company standpoint."
The contributions to overall health, however, were less impressive.
"There are slight improvements in heart rate," Chambers said, "but we don't really know if that's clinically significant yet. There were no really consistent changes in blood pressure."
With more research on how to use the desks, however, Chambers thinks those benefits might improve, especially as people receive more training on how to best use the desks to their personal benefit.
"The sit-stand desk is not intended to be used as a standing desk," Chambers said, because just like sitting, constant standing is also not good for you. Studies of workers who stand all day show they can suffer muscle and skeletal disorders, vein issues and more.
"The sit-stand desk is intended to switch those positions, but unfortunately we just don't know what that dosage should be," Chambers said. "How often should we alternate position? How long should we sit or stand for? Frankly, the answer is probably different depending on who you are and what health issues you have."
In addition, most research on standing desks so far has focused on younger, more healthy adults, not middle-aged or overweight adults. Research in that area will also provide insights.

We are not built to sit

That said, sitting for an extended time at a desk at the office, behind the wheel of a car or in front of a screen is definitely not good for you. Prior studies have found the risk of dying from sitting more than eight hours a day with no physical activity was much the same as the risk of death from obesity and smoking.
Another study found too much sitting can also affect the brain. People who did high levels of sitting had less thickness in the medial temporal lobe. Earlier studies have also linked Alzheimer's to sedentary behavior.
On the up side, some studies have shown those negative effects can be erased by daily exercise. A study of more than a million people across 16 other studies found that people who, each day, sat for more than eight hours but also exercised for 60 to 75 minutes were not at increased risk for early death. If they only exercised 5 minutes a day, the odds of an early death rose to 59%.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends adults do moderate-intensity aerobic exercise for two and half hours every week, plus muscle strengthening activities on two or more days a week.

How to use a sit-stand desk

Until research catches up with scientifically based recommendations, Chambers and other experts in the field suggest trying these tricks to get the most from your standing desk:
Try to alternate frequently
What's best for the body is not to sit or stand, but to move, Chambers said. Just the act of getting up and down burns more calories than sitting or standing. So try to alternate between the two positions as often as makes sense -- an optimal choice would be every 30 minutes.
Of course it's easy to forget to do that. Some people use apps that set timers to remind them to move. Another suggestion is to stand up when you are doing activities that don't require constant typing, such as when on conference calls.
Work on your posture
Stand up straight when upright and keep your hips tucked under. When sitting, your knees should be at a 90-degree angle -- you may need foot support to make that happen.
"It's seems alternating between sitting and standing, even if standing was only for a short period of time, improved posture while seated," she said.
That's good news for your back during the afternoon slump.
Consider an anti-fatigue mat
Not only can a cushioned mat help ease the strain of standing, some types come with a contour that can encourage you to move more. If possible with your job, listen to music while standing so you'll move even more.
Try to stand after eating
"You've just eaten a big lunch, right? Perhaps do a standing period where you're slightly more active than you would be sitting," Chambers suggested. "That might help with burning those calories."
Don't just rely on the standing desk
Try walking with your colleagues for meetings rather than sitting in a conference room. Do some steps if you can -- take the stairs, not the elevator.
Reach out to an ergonomics expert
There's a whole lot to know about keeping the stress off your neck and shoulders. Your arms should be at 90 degrees; your monitors should be at or slightly below eye level. Having a poor fit on these items can cause significant pain and fatigue.
Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter

Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.

Less work stress and pain means higher productivity, and today many companies have internal experts who are trained in how to set up desks, chairs, keyboards and monitors to meet each person's needs.
"I recommend reaching out to that ergonomics expert and ask them to come and do an evaluation of their workplace," Chambers said. "Try to make that transition between sit and stand as easy as possible and be sure both of those positions are set up correctly for the person."
"Those are just some recommendations. We need many more, which just don't exist yet," Chambers said. "But we're working on it. We're working on it."

•  

(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I think its great that they're coming out with sit/stand desks I wish they had them for retail workers and anyone who is on their feet for more than 5 hours at a time. As someone with back problems I can definitely say that both sitting and standing too long will aggravate my symptoms and being able to switch from sitting to standing time to time helps take the pressure off. So far from my experience as a yoga teacher most people who stand on their feet all day long end up having swollen feet, knee pain and inflammed joints and most people who sit at a desk for a long time tend to have tighter hips, hip flexors and low back pain. We actually touched on this topic during training about how sitting all day is really bad for you and that most of the desk chairs are not designed well for the body because they don't give the proper support for the spine if your going to be in that position for hours at a time. That's also one of the reasons why my studio  focuses more on functional strength and is heavy on modifications with advanced poses because most of the people who come to class work jobs where they are sitting or standing all day and they don't have the proper core strength to even hold those poses and end up doing more damage. In teacher training everyone always sat on bolsters with a block behind their back for the proper support when we had to sit for lectures and we always took stretching breaks. I think it makes sense for companies to look out for their employees health because it would increase productivity from having less stress on their body. My knees actually became inflammed over christmas break because of being on my feet on concrete flooring for over a 30 hour work week and I couldn't come to work for two and a half weeks because of the knee pain and I still had flare ups for months after. I think they should incorporate more of these sit/stand desks with better designed chairs like how they have them at ALDI's. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I think while sitting too long is bad, so it standing. I think jobs need to do 10 minute of sitting/ standing to 50 minutes of standing/ sitting. standing too long are be very hard on the body. I had to get a doctors note saying I couldn't work over 40 hours a week because I was having health issues from working  about 50 hours a week. 

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

It's been long known that sitting isn't good for our health, and also known that standing is as bad as sitting when it's for  long periods of time too. It makes sense to me, to come up with a combination of the two, and the desk that allows for a person to have both is a great option. Whether a person works and is either standing for longs periods, or sitting, to be able to have this combination makes perfect sense to me. As long as the job is able to be done in this manner, it would be beneficial, and much better for a persons body, and overall well being. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

There is definitely such a thing as standing too long and sitting too long. As a server when you stand too long you start to have problems with your knees, feet and back ( I do after serving for so long). However on the other hand if you sit too long you risk weight gain, back problems, increased blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I think that stand up desks are a great way to get up and get your blood flowing and I think that all jobs should have a balance to keep everyone healthy. Although we know that will never happen so it is up to us to make sure we get rest and sit down and also get up and moving! 

ReplyQuote

There is definitely such a thing as standing too long and sitting too long. As a server when you stand too long you start to have problems with your knees, feet and back ( I do after serving for so long). However on the other hand if you sit too long you risk weight gain, back problems, increased blood pressure, and high cholesterol. I think that stand up desks are a great way to get up and get your blood flowing and I think that all jobs should have a balance to keep everyone healthy. Although we know that will never happen so it is up to us to make sure we get rest and sit down and also get up and moving! 

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

Something I am noticing that people are doing are using standing desks but also using treadmils to walk while using using the standing desks. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I agree with you! There are a lot of side effects with sitting for long periods of time. I think it is important to find a healthy balance in a job where you can move a little so you are not sitting for long periods of time.

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I agree with you! There are a lot of side effects with sitting for long periods of time. I think it is important to find a healthy balance in a job where you can move a little so you are not sitting for long periods of time.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

@marlimartiniectskin-com There are pros and cons to both sitting and standing at work fulltime but If youre doing taking care of your body in and out of work there shouldnt be anything to worry about. Finding a balance is important.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I have seen many ads for the standing desks and treadmills that fit under your desk to keep you moving and prevent you from sitting for 8+ hours a day straight. However in my last office job i dont think i have enough coordination to be walking on the treadmill and working on the computer , and writing emails, id get too distracted. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

I would love to have a standing desk. I sit way too much and over the whole CODID shut down most of the time I was sitting. It took a toll and I did also gain weight. I think the treadmill desk is great for work at home

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

I would love to have a standing desk. I sit way too much and over the whole CODID shut down most of the time I was sitting. It took a toll and I did also gain weight. I think the treadmill desk is great for work at home

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

I would love to have a standing desk. I sit way too much and over the whole COVID shut down most of the time I was sitting. It took a toll and I did also gain weight. I think the treadmill desk is great for work at home

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I think it would be beneficial for me to have a standing desk, or it would even be nice to have one of those small treadmills so I could walk and do work. I admit I sit around way too much either doing work, watching tv, on my phone, etc. I always feel weak and achy even though I will take breaks and walk around. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I agree I think all jobs should have stand up desks if they are required to sit at a computer all day. I know they have desks that you can adjust the height so you can sit or stand.

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com I agree to this. When I worked in a restaurant I would stand for 8- 10 hours straight with maybe 5 minute breaks in between. My ankles and knees would be so swollen.

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

I personally think that we should be off of our feet for at least 10 minutes for every 2 hours that we're standing. When I work, I'm on my feet for 99% of my shift and I have had reconstructive leg surgery, which left me with a weaker left leg. Usually halfway through my shift is when my pain catches up to me. My mom has a stand/sit desk and really likes it because she can move around while she works instead of sitting all day. 

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I also like the idea of a treadmill while working at a computer. I feel like it will help my brain function if my whole body is moving haha, but whenever I stand too long at work, my ankles swell so the stand/sit desk is a great idea.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!