Consultation - Public Awareness

17 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Sacramento woman is hospitalized after using facial cream tainted with mercury

The woman is currently in a semicomatose state after using a Pond's-labeled skin cream she obtained through an informal network that imported the cream from Mexico, the health services department said.
"The mercury was not added by the Pond's manufacturer, but by a third party after purchase," the news release said.
Methylmercury can cause symptoms such as memory loss, anxiety, depression, headaches and tremors, the statement said.
The tainted product was used as a skin lightener and to remove spots and wrinkles, according to the statement.
Pond's said in a statement that the company does not use mercury in its products and is working closely with authorized retailers to ensure available products are safe.
"The product in question is not sold in the U.S. We are concerned about the woman who had this experience and are working with authorities to investigate the matter," the company's statement said. "We strongly recommend only purchasing POND'S products from trusted retailers."
This is the first reported case of methylmercury poisoning of this type linked to skin cream in the US. But in California over the last nine years, there have been more than 60 poisonings linked to foreign brand, unlabeled and homemade skin creams that contained mercurous chloride or calomel, the less toxic form of mercury, the health services department's statement said.
This topic was modified 5 years ago by deborah

(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

I would  suggest  for anyone looking to buy skincare products online is to buy from reliable sources, and look at reviews of the company that are selling these products. Anyone can list things on line, and make it appear as a reputable company, but with all the crazy things going on it's better to purchase from companies that have a good reputation.  There's no reason to buy Ponds cream from Mexico. 

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

Why would anyone need to order something so cheap and easy to find in any American store from Mexico?  There's a huge black market for upscale product lines on ebay and other websites .  I once asked a client to bring her Obagi products for me to see , she had purchased them on ebay. I was familiar with it since it was sold at the medspa I used to work at.   The color and fragrance of her products were different from the ones I used to sell .  I told her they were either fake or spoiled and I wouldn't use them if I were here..  Only buy from reputable businesses and websites 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I try not to buy products online especially from places like amazon because they can come from anywhere. You can always look at the brands website and see their official sellers.

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

Did she order it online? If so then yikes, I was looking up Repecage products on ebay a little while ago and was tempted to buy one, I'll think twice now. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

it is so important to buy any kind of facial products makeup, skincare, whatever from reliable sources and companies, I am assuming the woman ordered online. If that is the case, ordering from the actual company website or buying from an actual makeup/or department store is the safest way to go about purchasing. 

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com yes it's unfortunate because companies like amazon are where people can purchase items at a lower price, I will be thinking twice now myself especially when it comes to skincare products.

This post was modified 9 months ago 2 times by Sydney Hurdle

ReplyQuote

@carliecannestroiectskin-com yes it's very scary how this can happen to people.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

When I order products online I always just order directly from the website because you never know where these other sites are getting their products. 

ReplyQuote

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com Especially now a lot of people are learning how to resell on amazon. you never know where they got it, if it is expired, etc.

ReplyQuote

@angierodrigueziectskin-com I agree. it is better to run to the store than it is to order off a place you don't know

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

It is very important to check products ingredient list before purchasing, many products being marketed (especially online) may not even be FDA approved. Many products will advertise "Wrinkle disapearing cream" to draw in a specific consumer and it could be dangerous potentially.

ReplyQuote

@leejenkinsiectskin-com Agreed! many people buy products that may be expired without even knowing and one they put it on their face may get a reaction and not know why.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com Some sites even imitate other products for the same price but with cheaper, filler ingredients so they make a bigger profit and that results in teh consumer getting the wrong thing which could affect their skin.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

A few years ago there were a lot of people purchasing cosmetics online.  Some were from Mac that I remember specifically.  This was when Rihanna had her feature with them before launching her own company and I remember people were so obsessed.  I received a website from a friend saying that I could get the make up from there for way cheaper.  It was knock offs.  Well, I didn't order it and honestly it was only because I forgot about it.  Soon after, I saw a report with the website information about the make up containing mercury.  It was so scary.  My friend was fine but I kept thinking, what if I had ordered and I was in that position?  Sometimes we want to save money by purchasing certain things out of the country then find out they're not regulated when it's too late.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com Yes, or they say it's the same but with a different name.  While I lived in Korea, they had back alleys filled with "stores" for products like cosmetics, clothing and accessories that even had the logos for brand name companies but you knew they weren't legitimate.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com amazon makes it so easy for people to just sell anything they want, you don't know if the product is the actual thing.  I normally look at the seller and if it's a product that I will ingest or will touch my skin, I make sure it's a legitimate seller authorized by the brand.  If it's not, I'll go to the website.  Although I know that the convenience of purchasing through amazon is the fact that it gets to you so quickly, while the companies take forever.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!