Avideo shared online has purported to show the potential dangers of Brazilian butt lift (BBL) surgeries, as the procedure becomes increasingly popular.

TikTok user @_chompers shared the clip on July 10, showing screams allegedly coming from the doctor's office during her post-op massage. "What they don't tell you," she captioned the video.

In the video, which can also be seen here, a woman can be heard loudly screaming and shouting: "You're hurting me."

"She got an infection and they were squeezing out the puss," she wrote in the video. In later videos uploaded to her second channel, the woman said she didn't know much about the woman's situation, but claimed to have seen her sitting on her butt in the waiting room—something which is advised against after the procedure.

For many viewers, the video has highlighted the risks involved with BBL surgeries. BBLs involve fat grafting from other areas of the body, normally the abdomen, sides and hips, and injecting it back into the buttocks in order to make a fuller and more defined shape. The fat is purified before being injected back into the body.

In 2018, the American Society of Plastic Surgeons estimated the BBL death rate to be 1 in 3,000, "a rate of death far greater than any other cosmetic surgery." However, an 2021 study by the Aesthetic Surgery Education and Research Foundation estimated the death rate to be at around 1 in 14,952 instead, if performed by a board-certified surgeon.

A 2015 study concluded that the deaths are likely caused by damage to gluteus blood vessels during the procedure, which allows fat to enter the bloodstream.

In 2018, the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons suggested its members refrain from performing BBLs after a British patient died in Turkey while having the operation.

Infections are also a risk with this surgery, though reportedly no more than with others.

"This is why I would never get this," commented one TikTok user.

"I appreciate these videos because I was going to get a BBL and TikTok has changed my mind," wrote another.

The woman who posted the video also shared her own experience with her BBL in Miami, which unlike the woman with an apparent infection, proved successful. She did however show the struggles of flying home, having to sit on her knees most of the time. Other videos showed her bed covered in blood after surgery, which is considered a normal aspect of the aftermath.

TikTok has managed to shine a lot on the popularity of BBLs and what the recovery period is like, with many videos about the procedure going viral. In June, one TikTok user claimed to have taken a friend to a facility in Miami with so many girls having it done that they ran out of pain medication.

Another recent viral video online purported to show 28 women in wheelchairs leaving a flight from Santo Domingo airport, all returning to Atlanta allegedly from their surgeries in the Dominican Republic.

Surgeons operate on a patient
Two surgeons operate on a patient. A video purporting to show the aftermath of a BBL surgery has gone viral online.GETTY IMAGES