6 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Companies "need to ban" skin-lightening creams, activist says

CBSNews

CBS NewsAugust 3, 2020

https://media.zenfs.com/en/cbs_news_897/fadcc01b91afdd35ee380d9f7147ddd e" alt="Companies "need to ban" skin-lightening creams, activist says" data-reactid="9" />

When Nina Davuluri was crowned Miss America, becoming the first Indian Miss America, not everyone was celebrating her barrier-breaking win. In India, where Davuluri's family emigrated from, her complexion was being dissected.

"The morning after I won Miss America and I woke up to an Indian headline that said: 'Is Miss America too dark to be Miss India?'" Davuluri told CBS News foreign correspondent Imtiaz Tyab.

Criticism of her darker skin tone is part of an ugly concept known as "colorism," she said. "The idea that fair skin is better than darker skin, the idea that white is considered more elite than darker skin complexions, and that inherently in itself is racism."

Ads shown across Africa, Asia and the Middle East help fuel a demand for skin-lightening products like White Perfect, White Glow and White Beauty.

The creams contain chemical agents that can reduce melanin content. Some, if used incorrectly, can damage the skin.

Major corporations like L'Oreal, Unilever and Johnson & Johnson are all part of the industry which is reportedly worth over $8 billion a year.

"My grandmother used to use it. And so my mom saw it, saw it normalized and just saw it was the thing to do," said Stephanie Yeboah, a British Ghanaian author.

Yeboah started using skin whitening creams at 14 years old.

"I started lightening my skin because I thought, well, if I can alleviate one of the things that makes me have no privilege, which was my skin color, I thought that I could do a bit better in life," she said. 

The beauty industry is experiencing a racial reckoning following Black Lives Matter protests. Cosmetics giants are being accused of hypocrisy for claiming to stand against racism, while at the same time promoting whiteness.

In a statement, Johnson & Johnson said it will no longer sell two skin-lightening lotions. L'Oreal said it's removing the words "white," "fair," and "light" from its skin products.

Nivea's parent company followed, removing "whitening" and "fair" from products and marketing. Unilever is renaming it's hugely popular Fair & Lovely cream to Glow & Lovely.

But is renaming products enough?

"They need to ban the products," Yeboah said. "They don't need to rename it. I mean, I don't see what renaming is going to do when the intended effect of the product is still the same. The person is still going to be lighter."

Yeboah said she's come a long way from hating her skin to loving it, something that's led her to body-positivity activism as a social media influencer.

Asked what she wants to say to girls today, she said, "I would say, first and foremost, you are beautiful. Your skin is beautiful. Your skin tells such a beautiful deep story from your ancestors back in Africa to now. There's such a huge history there that you have coated around you. You should be proud of that."

Both Davuluri and Yeboah say corporations need to get rid of skin-lightening products altogether and that communities of color must also let go of these deeply held beliefs about beauty, so that everyone can love their skin, no matter the shade. 

L'Oreal did not immediately return CBS News' request for comment. Read the full statements from the other companies below. 

Beiersdorf (parent company of Nivea)

"As a company whose products are cherished by millions of consumers worldwide, Beiersdorf celebrates and promotes diversity. It is our ambition to serve consumers and help them feel good in their own skin. We aim to meet the very different needs and wishes of our consumers around the globe with safe, trusted products and address them in a positive, inclusive way.

"Acknowledging the changing perceptions and expectations of our consumers worldwide, we have started an in-depth review process to determine recent implications for our product offering and marketing approach. Resulting from this review, we will cease use of labels such as 'whitening' or 'fair' in product descriptions and marketing communication, thereby positively supporting and reflecting change."

Unilever

"Our recent announcement to remove all references to 'fair/fairness', 'white/whitening', and 'light/lightening' from our products' packs and communication is part of an ongoing evolution of our skin care portfolio. In addition to using the brand name Glow & Lovely, which better reflects the products' benefits, we will also continue to evolve the advertising to feature women of different skin tones, representative of the variety of beauty around the world. We are fully committed to caring for and celebrating all skin tones, and we are translating this belief into action with our future skin care innovations, products and brand ranges and communications. The decision to change the language we use in our branding and communication is not the end destination."

Johnson & Johnson 

"Conversations over the past few weeks highlighted that some product names or claims on our Dark Spot Reducer products represent fairness or white as better than your own unique skin tone. This was never our intention – healthy skin is beautiful skin. 

"We've made the business decision to no longer sell the NEUTROGENA® Fine Fairness product line (which was only sold in Asia and the Middle East) and Clean & Clear Fairness (which was only in India). We had already planned to discontinue NEUTROGENA® Fine Fairness later this year, and replace it in several markets with our newest line NEUTROGENA® Bright Boost – which uses resurfacing ingredients like Neoglucosamine® to boost the skin's natural renewal process for brighter, more-even skin tone.

"These products made up a very small part of our global skin health product portfolio – neither sold in the U.S. – and represent less than 1% of our 2019 global beauty sales."

Member Admin
Topic starter  

I do not think all of these products should be banned but people sure do misuse them. More is not better. I think these products have their place in the industry

Companies have to be sure what they are putting out is safe for use. We can't control how much of the product the person uses which can be a problem

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I think a a large part of my discontent with skin lightening products- aside from the deeply disturbing concept that people with darker toned skin should aspire to have fairer/lighter skin for any reason at all- is that so many of these companies and brands already offer products that are intentionally for dark spots or hyperpigmentation. They formulate products for what are believed to be "problem areas". Despite the literal damage that these products can cause to the skin if used incorrectly or simply with basic use, these companies continue to perpetuate these ideals whilst completely ignoring the fact of what it is that is being portrayed. Not to mention, way more often than not, these products are marketed to and tested in countries and communities of darker skinned people...why not European or white Americans? 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com i do agree that there are places in the industry for complexion products. Complexion products are marketing and targeting small areas of the skin and areas that we see as problematic. People will feel how they feel, but there is no place for billion dollar industries (in america) that continue to make claims about inclusivity and broad spectrums of products, while still making sure there is a product that encourages the idea that darker people should want to be fairer. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

I had a bunch of thoughts running through my mind while I read this. She said in the beginning of the article "the idea that fair skin is better than darker skin." I completely disagree with this and think that all skin colors are equally beautiful. I read an article once where they created the perfect human, and she was a mix a different races with a darker skin color. I wish people could see themselves as beautiful without needing to change and modify themselves. But that will never happen. I do not think these products should be banned because if you are a person with darker skin and you want it lightened, you should have the freedom and ability to do just that. I go tanning on a regular basis and it changes my skin color, if I can do that, then someone else should be able to change if they want. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with both of you. I do think the FDA should make sure the products are safe. With all the products one can purchase online it is important. Sometimes people use too much of a product thinking more is better. Not the case as you are both learning.

People with hyperpigmentation really want to use these products and I also use them. Knowing how and when to use them is key

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I don't agree that all skin lightening products should be banned because they do serve a purpose in our industry . However, i do think they can be misused and potentially be dangerous in many ways. Using them too much,using them for the wrong reasons , and psychologically. Reading this article brings a lot more awareness with these treatments , societal wise more than anything and it's devastating. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

@francescablackiectskin-com I agree that at the end of the day people will do whatever they can to make themselves confident, whether it be safe or not. These products need to be approved by the FDA and monitored by a professional.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I do not think that lightening products should be completely banned. Because of the danger in using a lightening product incorrectly, they should not be over the counter and instead available as a treatment at a salon or prescription. These products should be utilized as a way to even out your skin tone, not to lighten it completely. I recognize the blatant colorism in saying that fair skin is better than darker skin, and I think that changing the branding of certain products is an attempt to change the culture around said products. Though, this attempt is not enough. Companies should be promoting their lightening products as spot treatments, not for the whole face. This will help promote the evenness of the skin instead of lightness. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I do not think that lightening products should be completely banned. Because of the danger in using a lightening product incorrectly, they should not be over the counter and instead available as a treatment at a salon or prescription. These products should be utilized as a way to even out your skin tone, not to lighten it completely. I recognize the blatant colorism in saying that fair skin is better than darker skin, and I think that changing the branding of certain products is an attempt to change the culture around said products. Though, this attempt is not enough. Companies should be promoting their lightening products as spot treatments, not for the whole face. This will help promote the evenness of the skin instead of lightness. 

ReplyQuote
(@michaelagrayiectskin-com)

Reading this article reminded me of a sad but very real truth. We are currently in a time where unfortunately women are being discriminated against for simply being themselves. I absolutely find it disgusting. Beauty should not be reflected on the color of your skin, the height of your body, or the shape in my opinion. I believe beauty is within, and that everyone in their own way has features that stand out. While we all think we have imperfections or insecurities, the reality is what we find unattractive about ourselves, other individuals envy. Your skin tone is a natural and beautiful feature, and women should not be bullied within society to believe any different. We should not feel as though the lighter we are the more success we will gain. Your complexion does not play a role in your beauty, character, personality, or brains. It does not make you any less qualified for a position than anyone else. I sympathized with the young lady in this article to have to endure questions of this nature after making such a big accomplishment in her life. Her race or complexion shouldn't even be the topic of conversation as she has out done herself and represented her country so well. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Yes I do agree that they do have a place within the market as people should be able to do what they please with their bodies. However I do feel it should be controlled and FDA approved, as people are seemingly misusing these products. The big companies I believe are also at fault because they are definitely aware of what these products are being used for even if they do change the branding or marketing however they make no attempts to make sure these products are safe for the general public to use.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Yes I do agree that they do have a place within the market as people should be able to do what they please with their bodies. However I do feel it should be controlled and FDA approved, as people are seemingly misusing these products. The big companies I believe are also at fault because they are definitely aware of what these products are being used for even if they do change the branding or marketing however they make no attempts to make sure these products are safe for the general public to use.

ReplyQuote

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@francescablackiectskin-com I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think that products focused on spot treatments for hyper-pigmentation should be banned. I think there should be more education on how to use said products to make sure that the public knows how to use said products. I do agree that the culture around lightening your overall skin color is very problematic and should be addressed by brands who previously carried said products.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@francescablackiectskin-com I agree with most of what you said, but I don't think that products focused on spot treatments for hyper-pigmentation should be banned. I think there should be more education on how to use said products to make sure that the public knows how to use said products. I do agree that the culture around lightening your overall skin color is very problematic and should be addressed by brands who previously carried said products.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I agree, these products should be regulated for consumer use by the FDA. I find it problematic how these products have been pushed for all over skin lightening instead of spot treatments. It would be better if strong products like those are left for estheticians to use.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I definitely agree that no matter what, women with certain insecurities will always do what they want to do to "fix," these. While this may be true, it is their right to do what they please with their body. I do however feel as if these products should be FDA approved so we can ensure that even if they are using these products, they are being used as safe as possible.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!