Clear all

Skin Disorder

20 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
https://www.realsimple.com/health/mind-mood/excoriation-skin-picking-disorder%3Futm_source=facebook.com%26utm_medium=social%26utm_campaign=social-share-article%26utm_content=2020042 2">

My experience with skin picking disorder has spanned over a decade. Here's what I've learned to help control it.

By Hana Hong 

April 21, 2020
skin-picking-disorder: woman picking lips
GETTY IMAGES

I can vividly remember my very first time at a school ceremony. I was in first grade, and a select few kids, including me, were all assembled on stage to receive an award from the principal in front of rows of students and parents. I couldn’t tell you what the award was for (or even the principal’s name), but what I do remember is the unreasonable amount of tension I felt from being in front of so many people. This experience is forever etched in eternity in my family album, wherein a photo shows my irritated, busted lips that I was picking the entire time I was up there. 

Not long after, I was diagnosed with excoriation disorder, an obsessive-compulsive condition that causes the repeated urge or impulse to pick at my own skin. We all pick at a scab or a bump from time to time, but for those with a skin picking disorder (SPD), this urge is intensified to the point that it’s nearly impossible to control them. Whether I’m watching a movie or reading through emails, I'll often fall into a mindless trance doing this and lose track of time—it isn’t unusual for several hours to go by until I finally stop, and only because the area starts to bleed.

This condition is different for everyone. I’ve never really been a nail biter, but picking and peeling at the dry skin on my lips and face (or anywhere else my hands can touch) has just always felt so good. I become obsessed with each and every blemish, learning its contours and digging into it with a vengeance. I’ve suffered with the ugly habit for most of my life, but it really comes and goes. There will be times where the picking stops completely—with my longest pause being about a year. Being surrounded by people 24/7 definitely helps. But when I eventually relapse, which I always do, it's when I go through high levels of tension, anxiety, or stress. During finals in college, I'd have to develop elaborate rituals (and go through several tubes of concealer) to hide the incriminating marks. 

When the quarantine first hit, it definitely felt a bit stressful, but it wasn’t until a couple of weeks into physical distancing that the anxiety really set in. Part of it came from the fear of my family getting sick, and the rest from the lack of control that I had over a problem that was only worsening by the day. As someone who likes (correction: needs) to be in control of my situation at all times, this was a difficult situation to accept.

So I started picking. The sheer boredom of having nothing else to do was definitely a driving factor. But the biggest reason for the repetitive, aggressive action stemmed from the fact that it was an empty distraction from everything going on—peeling away the dead skin felt like I was shedding layers of anxiety. The compulsion to dig into my skin can best be described as a soothing security blanket of sorts. When I'm not stressed, I can control it; otherwise, I can't. When life gets out of control, this is the one thing I feel like I can manage, so doing it makes me feel just a bit better. 

Herein lies the bittersweet irony: the picking itself becomes something that you can’t control. If you suffer from SPD, you already know that it is not a matter of will—trying to stop is like telling someone not to have food allergies or high blood pressure. However, the good news is that there is therapy, medication, and dermatologic treatments that can help. Although no one treatment will be curative (you will likely go through bouts of remission and recurrence), utilizing the right tactics can help you squash the habit quicker.

RELATED: The 14 Best Strategies for Coping With Anxiety

First, and most importantly, know your triggers. It could be something external (i.e., acne onset) or something more emotionally driven (like stress and anxiety), but either way, you want to tackle the source. For me, my picking gets worse when there is dry, dead skin to pick at, so I slather myself in moisturizing creams and thrust my face into a humidifier whenever I feel the tight pores coming on. If your picking is triggered by depression and anxiety too, you should consult with a mental health professional with expertise in skin picking. 

Although there is a bit of a shameful stigma that comes with SPD (there is nothing to be ashamed of!), tell someone that you trust and spend a lot of time with about the situation. My 7-year-long boyfriend, who lives with me, knows me better than anyone, and he is the best at catching the picking before it spirals. At that point, I’ll walk away from what I’m doing and distract myself by switching to a more engaging activity. I find that it's a good idea to wear gloves whenever you catch your hands doing the deed—that way, you’re physically incapable of continuing. 

Therapy can also include stimulus control, which focuses on making shifts in your immediate environment that will soothe your impulse to pick at your skin. "Each time you feel the urge to pick, force yourself  to resist for longer durations," says Sanam Hafeez, MD, a neuropsychologist at Columbia University in NYC. "If you are working, keep a squeezable ball on your desk. Meditation is also an excellent tool. If you have never done it before you can download meditation apps for beginners or go to YouTube. If small steps fail, consult a licensed therapist (even remotely) to talk through the process and help you understand this disorder and how you can conquer it."

While these methods help, by no means am I fully out of this—like any addict, I'll always be in recovery mode. Do I still want to touch my skin? Every single day. But the key is in feeling the urge when it approaches, identifying the issue, and being able to put myself in the mental state to walk away. When I feel myself falling into that trance-like state, I ask myself, "Why am I doing this?" This mindfulness is the first step towards recovery. 

(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

Like any addiction, this take a conscious effort. Therapy and coping skills will only go so far. It will be a struggle everyday of your life. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I definitely have a bad habit of picking/biting at my lip and the insides of my cheeks I also pick at my cuticles really bad to the point of bleeding. My dentist always voices concern for how torn up the inside of my cheeks are from biting them. I do this from anxiety and its almost like I do it without even noticing. I try to pay more attention so I will catch myself in the act and stop. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I know some people do not realize they are picking. I do the same thing with my cuticles and its a habit I have tried to stop. My parents would get so mad when they saw my bleeding cuticles.

I am reminded by my husband that I'm picking so I stop for a while but it does not last. I also catch myself. It is truly an anxious response for me.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

I think it is very hard for some people with acne that pick at it to stop. We need to educate people with this disorder why it is so o=important to be aware. They are spreading infection to other areas and developing scars. Even though they know this just a little bit of information coming from us can help.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Yes! Education is important. I remember my mom would always tell me not to pop my pimples because of scaring. 

ReplyQuote

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com The lips... me too! I was picking at my lips when I opened this and it took me a minute to realize I was doing it. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com yesss I'm with you on the biting of the cheeks and the lip picking! It's really bad in the winter when my lips are dry. I often pick and the end up bleeding. Such a bad habit 

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com I absolutely agree with you. It won't change over night

ReplyQuote

It is easy to pick at your skin and not even notice you're doing it, just like biting your nails. It becomes habit and a habit that most people get when they are anxious. Or they become so obsessed with their acne they can't help but pick at it...but it is horrible for your skin and an easy way to spread bacteria! The skin can never heal if it is constantly being picked at. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I also have bad habit of biting the inside of my cheeks to the point where I can taste blood. When I get very anxious I tend to do it, or even when I am really focused I start to do it and not even realize it.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@deborah I pick and bite at my cuticles all the time and I need to be stopped. It gets so bad and my fingers look terrible. I get really self conscious about it at times. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

When im anxious i do often times find myself chewing on the inside of my cheeks. It'll get so bad that itd bleed sometimes. After a stressful day ill have two long lines of wounds on either side of my cheeks where my top and bottom teeth meet. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I have a friend who is consistently picking at their face. Whether they realize it or not, their fingers are always grazing their face trying to find even the slightest bump to scratch or scrape it off. I often times swat at their hands to make sure they stop, for a little bit atleast. This can cause alot more damage to their skin than they think, with the amount of bacteria that can be on their fingers, and consistently touching new open wounds, spreading bacteria. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com It definitely becomes a habit for people too. I catch my boyfriend doing it all the time and I think it's from habit and stress. 

ReplyQuote

My boyfriend has a bad habit of picking at his skin and I think he's been doing it for a very long time. He has scars and hyperpigmentation from picking and I try and let him know when he's doing it because I think most of the time he doesn't even realize it. Our fingers have so many germs and so much bacteria on them so it's horrible to pick at a lesion or acne and get more bacteria in them and on the rest of your face. It becomes a vicious cycle. 

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I do have a bad habit of biting the skin off my bottom lip but when it comes to picking at my acne I don't usually mess with it. I do pick at my chin sometimes but I don't realize what I am doing until it looks worse. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I used to be so bad about picking at my acne and I wouldn't realize I was doing it until my face would bleed, or I would have scars on my face. I now tend to pick more at my lips but occasionally I pick at my face. It is such a hard habit to break 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com My acne isn't as bad now as it was a few years ago and that is why I think I stopped picking at my face so much. I still do find myself picking at my arms or the skin around my fingers when I am anxious or stressed.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I used to have terrible scarring on my face from picking at my acne. chemical peels were definitely a life saver for me.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!