43 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Helping students develop proper internet etiquette

Student working at home on laptop

If you enjoyed Downton Abbey as much as me, you might think of etiquette as knowing how to set a table worthy of a stately dinner. But that kind of etiquette might not be so useful in an online course, unless we’re studying the Edwardian era!

In the context of online teaching and learning, it’s more appropriate to think about the etiquette involved in engaging others in conversations and providing guidelines for smartphone use than how to handle a dinner guest’s dietary restrictions. We want to apply the best practices of etiquette to every interaction in the course.

Netiquette (net + etiquette) is the “code of conduct” applied to online spaces. Teaching students about netiquette is just as important (if not more so) as teaching them to use technology or master content.

Crafting a netiquette document or post for your class and informing your students about the importance of these rules can help you create an engaging, respectful, and meaningful learning environment.

If hosting lectures or office hours live online, you might want to include guidelines for expectations around arriving on time, reducing noise by using earphones and the mute button, and minimizing distractions the best they can.

Keep in mind that students might have their children or siblings home from school or day care and some flexibility and understanding might need to be extended during this season.

Another area for need of netiquette guidelines is in the use of discussion boards. I often share things like this with my students:

• Use proper language. This means no emoticons, text message language, or swear words. The discussion board is like a workplace and is meant to be professional.
  • Run a spelling and grammar check before posting anything to the discussion board. This is especially important if your instructor is grading these comments.
  • Read through your comments at least twice before hitting submit. (Some professors use settings that allow students to edit their responses, while others don’t.)
  • Don’t type in ALL CAPS! If you do, it will look like you are screaming.
  • Recognize and respect diversity. It’s ok to ask questions to clarify things you don’t understand. If you’re not sure, email the professor privately for more information.
  • Avoid sarcasm and dark humor. Take your posts seriously. Never say online what you wouldn’t say in real life to another person’s face. Your posts are a permanent record, so think about the type of record you want to leave behind.
  • If you are frustrated and finding the course material difficult, please reach out to the professor, use the tutor resources, etc. You can ask your peers for study tips. A discussion board is not the venue to complain about why you need to take this course or how hard you have to work.
  • Don’t wait until the last minute to make your post. Allow time for other students to respond before the deadline. Likewise, don’t wait to post your replies until the deadline; the author deserves an opportunity to address any questions you have or respond to points you make.
  • Before asking a question, check the instructor’s FAQs or search your Learning Management System resources and/or the internet to see if the answer is obvious or easy to find.
  • Be forgiving. If your classmate makes a mistake, whether it’s a typo or grammatical error, don’t badger him or her for it. Just let it go.
  • The same rules apply for email. “Hey, teach, heeeelp!” is probably not the best way to ask your professor a question. You should communicate with your professor in the same way that you would speak to your boss or a potential employer. Also, any email you send your professor should always include your name and which class you are in.

While it is tempting to think we should only have to focus on content, surveys of Fortune 500 company CEOs over the years have resulted in very similar responses: they want students who can communicate clearly, collaborate well, think critically, etc.

We know those skills are being developed and enhanced in our courses everyday, so it’s worthwhile to spend some time encouraging them to be respectful, contributing members of our online course communities.

(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

I agree that netiquette is very important ! It is important in pretty much every online setting. Whether its school, work, or just on facebook. When writing a business email, you wouldn't use inappropriate language or emojis. The person on the other side of that email would probably want to work with someone who seemed more serious and it would look really unprofessional! When writing in discussion boards or writing a school paper, you wouldn't use acronyms like LOL or OMG. That A+ you're looking for will be farther than you think. Its certainly ok to do so in a private conversation! It may not be wrong to post something on Facebook with foul language or bad spelling, because its your own page, but that doesn't mean what you post isn't making you look less than stellar to put it nicely. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

It's easy for typed language to be misconstrued. In order to have an opinion online, you need to be clear and polite. The way your text sounds in your head may sound different to another person reading it. It's important to choose your words carefully to avoid offending others. With the world at the state it's in right now, it's more important than ever to have the freedom to voice your opinion, but also the grace and respect to voice that opinion. By using proper netiquette, you gain respect from your peers and your online opinion will be digested better

ReplyQuote

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com

I agree when it comes to posting on Facebook or any social media platform that it's important to come across as respectful and educated! No one wants to feel like they are being attacked for their own beliefs. Whether you agree with them or not, it is not our place to attack other people online

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com After the election, there was a lot what you just mentioned. Everyone has their own beliefs and were certainly being attacked for expressing them! I agree that no matter what you believe,  no one should be attacked or judged for it. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I tried to express agreement with a subject. I rarely do comment on anything. I was attacked and called names by several people. Just because you disagree does not give the person license to abuse you. I like all your thoughts that respectful conversation is needed and all viewpoints are to be read and if you don't agree you can say that in a non combative way

ReplyQuote

My sister has voiced her opinion on instagram multiple times and multiple times she has been attacked. You would think it would get to her a little but she doesn't let it bother her at all. She says she's not saying anything mean to begin with, which is true, but for some reason people think it's ok to be mean about what she posts. I think it says more about them than it does about her

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com

There is always a nice way of saying that you don't agree with someone. Sometimes you really don't even have to say anything at all to get your opinion across.

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com I agree theres always a nice way to voice your opinion. I have definitely seen posts on facebook that I completely disagree with but always find myself just continuing to scroll. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@amandamooreiectskin-com I agree with your comment about reading or sending a text. Sometimes I'm guilty of it myself. I will read a text one way thinking someone may be mad, or being rude. When in reality it's just me reading it in the wrong way in my head. Then when I see them and ask them about it they explain themselves and I feel crazy for reading it in the way I did. 

ReplyQuote

I think this is an important article for everyone to read these days. Especially after this pandemic. Everyday more jobs are moving to online, working from home, jobs. I think some people aren't able to separate their postings from their social media with postings from work. Social media is just so secondhand to people that sometimes we don't even realize that were typing in abbreviation of things. Or we're typing in all caps. I am guilt myself of using the exclamation point, and I've heard many times that people feel like you may be yelling, just like with the all caps. I have also heard before that using the exclamation point isn't professional. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with all your comments. I see postings on facebook all the time ridiculing people and using all caps to get their point across. All caps is a form of yelling, which should not be done but people think its ok to do this. Over the past 4 years name calling has been disgusting as I read peoples postings

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

i agree that using proper netiquette is important especially with this past year, so many aspects of our lives have become so dependent on the internet and online spaces. it is important that we set guidelines and boundaries so that this already difficult time we are in doesn't make more areas of our life harder than they already have become. 

ReplyQuote

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com i really agree with what you're saying about people not being able to separate social media from work especially when both of those things can be so hand in hand because of the increasingly important role social media plays. using proper netiquette when the line between wrok and play is fuzzy is definetly something everyone should learn. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Jayden and Kaytlyn

I have read texts and the person may sound curt and rude. Later that day that same person will see me and be pleasant in person talking about the same subject. Sometimes when people see they are texting or emailing because they are not seeing that other person they for get that their tone of voice is coming through.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I agree to the postings that other people and constantly putting online. There just seems to be so much hate and anger with so many people really for no reason a lot of the time. I keep my Instagram private for that reason. I know how mean people can be online and just would always try and avoid it at.

ReplyQuote

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com social media allows for us to feel like we have constant access to people and their lives, even though that is not the case, so i know a lot of people that also have their social media private. this perceived idea of essentially having no boundaries between you and this other person's life kind of gives people the feeling that they can push and speak any kind of way when in reality what people say over the internet might not ever be okay to say in person

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

When people post their thoughts on face book I have read remarks that are so offensive because someone has a different viewpoint or idea. Bad language , typing in caps is not acceptable. People should be aware that just because its not a face to face meeting correct communication is always the best answer

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

Netiquette is an important skill to learn now more than ever. Not only did Covid force many classes and workplaces to move online, but the extended amounts of time spent at home because of Covid have made many much more attached to the internet, especially social media. It is easier now more than ever to take something online too seriously or to feel something said to you online is much more personal, as this is where much of our social lives take place now. With us all so attached to our phones after what was such a hard year, practicing netiquette is more important now than ever.

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com It's definitely always awful to see when someone posts their opinion and someone responds immediately being vulgar. I think people should consider how these types of discussions would occur in person, because almost no one would have the same immediate inflammatory responses that you are talking about if these conversations occurred in person.

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

Netiquette is super important! It sad to see friends and family even on Facebook during controversial events in the world (such as political, racial, religious), being ugly to others online just because they do not agree. Often times, people saying things online that they would be rather scared to say to someone's face just because they have the security of hiding behind a computer screen. If more people used netiquette, I think a lot of the nasty and mean things people say online could be avoided. 

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com 

I completely agree. With everything that has gone on this past year, with the pandemic, politically, racial justice, and religious beliefs. When someone gets offended from someone's lack of netiquette, they retaliate escalating the situation and making matters worse. If people started using netiquette while discussing controversial matters online, a lot of the hate and ugly things said could be avoided.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with you Marli. It is easy to write something unacceptable that you would not say to the person or group of people. I see posts also that are so bad I can't believe the way people try to get their point across.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com 

Yes Delaney,

Words can hurt for instance in a text or email just as bad as if we said it to the persons face. It still does not stop people. I mentioned something in a facebook post agreeing with a general comment and I could not believe the people that called me names and were so angry that I had an opinion. I replied with "please look up online etiquette and use it when conversing"

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Netiquette is something that should be taught to everyone. It is very important that people understand the importance of using proper grammar, and avoiding "slang" or terms that are not appropriate during online class, emailing, etc. The same etiquette you would have in person should be the same etiquette you have online as well. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The point of the article is to make sure one is using the proper netiquette when online posting or emails and texts. Also any other way you communicate other than speaking. As you pointed out Keyonna, slang words should not be used at all. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

I agree and believe that everyone should look up and acknowledge what netiquette is. When you read something and like Keyonna said, see slang words or improper grammar, it throws you off from reading. Netiquette helps people understand what is socially acceptable to post online. Its important to accept and respect the social values of other people before posting something that may offend them.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Netiquette is something that should be taught in as early as middle and high school. Especially transitioning into college , where it is not always as option to be able to talk to your professor face to face. Constructing a professional email or discussion board is important. I went to a community college directly after high school , so since my classes were so small i could always chat with my professor. Going into the work field shortly after, composing "professional" emails was hard for me, i knew exactly what i was trying to get across , just not sure exactly how to word it that would be deemed acceptable. It is definitely something that comes with time, however, if it was taught at an earlier age, the transition into adulthood would be easier.  

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I'm allll about netiquette! It is especially important now since everything is done online. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

I think there are many resources out there that you could look to teach yourself the proper construction for emails, texts etc. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!