Infection - Nail Bi...

Notifications
Clear all

Infection - Nail Biting

56 Posts
22 Users
2 Likes
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I still have such a bad habit of biting my nails and picking at my cuticles. I have found that cutting my cuticles has helped me not pick at my skin so much. I tend to bite my nails when I am anxious or stressed. I thought getting my nails done would help me, but it honestly just made it worse. My nails would sometimes feel sore after getting them done which led me to pick at them, or if I don't get them done when they start to come off I bite them.  

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I have tried the no bite nail coat and it helped me a little bit since the slightest taste of it was awful. I haven't bought it in a while and it is so hard to break my nail biting habit.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com 

I did not bite my nails but I picked my cuticles when anxious. This started as a kid. I still catch myself picking. I really have to be aware to stop or my cuticles sometimes bleed. When I have Shellac polish on I do not pick at all. There is a different feeling and I stop completley.

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

I remember when I was younger, my best friend at the time had the worst nail biting habit and we were sitting at my dinner table one night and she bit her nail and spit it and my mom lost it! I don't bite my nails unless I have a hangnail, but i have other anxious tendencies. 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com you should try an anxiety ring if you haven't already, I've found them to be somewhat helpful but I have an anxious tendency to run my fingers through the hair by my ears and the under layer of my hair and my mom always yells at me. My hair was down to my butt for years and then it had gotten to a point where the entire under layer of my hair was so short that I just had to cut my hair

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I personally hate the feeling of my cuticles being messed with, it almost makes my skin crawl. But like I responded to Madison, I have a bad habit of pulling/running my fingers through my hair

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

I have always struggled with picking and biting at the skin around my nails. I honestly have never even thought of an infection occurring from it but now it is very apparent that it can cause many adverse effects. Human hands are not 100% clean all of the time, and we might not always think about the last time we washed our hands before going to bite our nails. 

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I have also noticed that the only time i don't pick at my cuticles is when I have gel nail polish on. Any other time I find myself having to tell myself to stop picking at my cuticles.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

I used to bite my nails so bad that it would go past the skin. it was extremely painful but it was something i could not stop doing. I am very fortunate to not have had any infections or serious problems as an outcome of biting my nails. i have since stopped and now clip my nails, and have found other ways to help control my nervous tick

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com i used to get my nails done every 2 weeks with the fake nails, it really helped me get out of the habit of biting. i do notice when i wear nail polish and nails, it really does help

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@camrynauxtiectskin-com i have heard of these rings and i am going on amazon tonight to get one! even though i have stopped biting my nails, one habit is broken and another one is formed.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

it's always important even with the little things, like biting your nails, to take into consideration the germs you could come across. Younger children are more prone to this from touching dirty surfaces. 

ReplyQuote

keeping your hands clean by washing them, and breaking the habit of biting nails is the best scenario to prevent situations like this from happening. 

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com yes! I agree, I work at Sally Beauty and the bite no more for nail biting is great for adults or children

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

Nail biting can be a bad habit to break for many. It is bad for your health, if you think about all the surfaces you touch throughout the day and then put your fingers in your mouth you could be exposing yourself to bacteria.

ReplyQuote

My younger siblings used to bite their nails bad until they bled so my step mother bought them a nail biting prevention coating, it had a bitter taste and was a quick solution. Im sure it may also work for adults.

ReplyQuote

@oliviarossiectskin-com I tend to pick at my cuticles as well, once I picked until it bled and bacteria got in it so eventually I developed MRSA. My whole nail fell off after awhile so I had learned my lesson.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

Biting nails is something that affects a lot of people, whether people do it out of stress or boredom is not a good habit to have.  I remember when I was around 12 years old, one of my friends' little sister would obsessively bite hair nails where she almost had no nailbed.  It was so strange to me because I didn't know somebody could bite their nails to that point.  She was around 8 years old at the time.  She got a fungus on all her nails and she almost lost her fingernails.  The worst part was that even with the fungus she couldn't stop biting her nails.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com onychophagia affects a lot of people all over the world.  Most people don't even notice sometimes.  My husband will bite his nails and turn around and tell me he hasn't bitten his nails in days when he just did it in front of me.  He does it to his cuticles too and I tell him he's going to get an infection and lose his nails.  It's like smoking.  It becomes addictive to some people.  He has tried to quit biting but he always goes back to doing it.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com The thing is that a lot of us think we have clean hands but we touch so many things throughout the day without even thinking about it that germs can get into out nails and our blood.

ReplyQuote
(@brianahetlandiectskin-com)

when I was younger I use to bite my nails down so short. I got better with it as I got older and now i only bite my nails when I am having extreme anxiety. but the throbbing in your finger with an infected cuticle is definitely painful and not worth the nail biting. but it is a nervous tic that some people cant help. 

ReplyQuote

@olgacoloniectskin-com no matter how frequent someone washes their hands, they will always touch something that carries some kind of bacteria. and especially nail biters putting their hands in their mouth and then touching something thinking nothing of it.

ReplyQuote

@olgacoloniectskin-com my brother would chew his so bad to where he didn't have a nail bed either. it freaked me out growing up.

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

I have never been one to bite my nails but I do pick at my cuticles and the sides of my nail bed because my skin grows back so fast. I think I only do it out of boredom or when I'm anxious. Defiantly good information to know so I don't continue the habit.

ReplyQuote

@olgacoloniectskin-com Oh wow I have had a lot of friends who are extreme nail biters but I have never experienced one of them getting and infection or fungus. That is wild that the fungus didn't even stop her. It just goes to show that is a huge anxiety trigger that people cant help.

ReplyQuote

@karyssamarleriectskin-com My younger cousins had to use this as well. I actually got it for one of my friends who couldn't shake the habit and it seemed to help.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!