23 Users
5 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Did My IUD Move? 8 Signs Something Is Off With Your Intrauterine Device

Updated: 

November 6, 2019

An IUD on a pink background. Here's what an OBGYN wants you to know if your IUD has moved

BSIP/Collection Mix: Subjects/Getty Images

We at Bustle love giving you tips for how to tap into your sexual potential and troubleshoot when things aren’t going your way in the bedroom. But what about finding solutions to those stressful sexual health situations that inevitably crop up when you’re getting down? Emma Kaywin, a Brooklyn-based sexual health writer and activist, is here to calm your nerves and answer your questions. No gender, sexual orientation, or question is off limits, and all questions remain anonymous. This week’s topic: how to tell if your IUD moved — or if something else is wrong with it. Because sometimes you're not imagining it — there really might be something going on with it.

Q: I got a hormonal IUD placed two months ago and was super excited about it. I mean, super effective hormonal birth control I only have to think about every ten years? Thank you, modern medicine! And it wasn’t even that intense going in. I got some cramps for a couple days after and that was it! But now I’m feeling kinda off — I’m getting cramping between my periods and it hurts when I have sex, which has never happened to me before. Could something be wrong? Like, could my IUD have moved or could it be infected? Should I go and see my doctor? And until then, should I stop having sex — maybe I'm not safe?

A: The IUD is an excellent birth control option, particularly if you don’t want to do something every day but you still want to be extremely well-covered against pregnancy. IUDs are over 99% effective at preventing pregnancy, according to Planned Parenthood, which make them a rock-solid option if you're not up for remembering to take a pill at the same time every day.

Most people don’t have any trouble with their IUDs after their body gets used to them, but it's worth being aware of changes that happen right after placement.

"Once it’s placed, it usually stays in that same place and doesn't usually wiggle around," Dr. Mary Jane Minkin, a clinical professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences at the Yale University School of Medicine, tells Bustle. "We usually recommend for folks to come back after we insert an IUD in about a month or so we can check to see the strings of the IUD."

If things feel "off" before that month check-in, it's worth not dismissing it. "The insertion of the IUD can be uncomfortable just because you're sort of stretching the cervix and popping this thing into the uterus," Dr. Minkin says, but the discomfort shouldn't be debilitating. "If all of a sudden, you’re like, 'Oh my god, I'm in terrible pain' — you shouldn't be in terrible pain." A little bit of cramping is normal, but serious pain is something worth bringing to your provider as soon as you can, Dr. Minkin says.

Some IUDs do end up getting displaced (which is when it moves from where it was placed to a different part of your uterus), embedded in the sides of your uterus, or even expelled. Fortunately, this is pretty rare — expulsion happens under 10% of the time, IUDs get embedded under 1% of the time, and perforation of the uterus walls due to an embedded IUD is even rarer, Dr. Minkin previously told Women's Health.

If you think your IUD might have moved at all whatsoever, you'll definitely want to contact your gynecologist right away to check; in rare cases, displaced IUDs can puncture your uterus walls and mess with your other internal organs, which is dangerous and must be taken care of. Dr. Minkin also says that an infection could be a concern, which is why it's important to see your provider as soon as you can.

Here are the ways to know if one of these might be happening to you, so you can go to your gynecologist to get it fixed.

1. Your Strings Are Longer Or Shorter Than Before

A copper IUD on a white background. Here are 8 signs that your IUD has moved
Shutterstock

Your IUD has a string attached to the bottom of it, which makes it easy for you to get it taken out when you’re done with it. These strings come out of your uterus, through your cervix, and into your vagina. When your doctor placed your IUD, they cut the strings so you can still feel them, but not so long that they're annoying (or at least, they should have). It's good to know how long your strings are because they tell you if your IUD is still where it's supposed to be. Checking your IUD strings is super simple — with clean hands, put your index or middle finger up into your vagina until you get to your cervix. Your IUD strings should be coming through your cervix and you should be able to feel them there.

"Your cervix sort of feels like your nose, so if you imagine that you had two threads against the tip of your nose, that's sort of what the IUD strings will feel like," Dr. Minkin says.

If you suddenly notice that your strings are longer than they were before, this is a sign that your IUD might have slipped down from where it was placed. If you notice changes in your strings, go visit your gynecologist so she can check you out. Sometimes the strings get tangled and just feel shorter, but other times you might need to get your IUD placed again.

2. Or You Can't Feel Your Strings At All

Alternately, if you can’t find your strings, this could mean that your IUD has moved further up into your uterus, dragging the strings along with it. "The major thing that I would say that people should be concerned about [is] if, for example, they can't find their strings all of a sudden," Dr. Minkin says.

3. You Can Feel The IUD In Your Cervix

This one’s pretty obvious. Your IUD is supposed to be placed up inside your uterus (here’s a picture of where it goes). Up there, you shouldn't able to feel it. If you notice your IUD is coming out of your cervix or you feel the bottom of it in your cervix, that means it’s too low and is therefore displaced — and might even be in the process of coming out completely.

Feeling an IUD in your cervix could mean literally being able to feel it with your fingers as you do a string check — or it could mean your cervix is starting to feel uncomfortable because there's a piece of plastic or metal coming out of it that shouldn't be there.

4. Your Partner Can Feel Something Up There

A man and a woman lying down. If your IUD has moved, you might feel the strings more than before
Andrew Zaeh for Bustle

Sometimes you might not notice that there’s something off with your IUD, but your partner might feel the tip of it when you have sex. If your partner notices something hard coming out of your cervix, go check it out at the doctor to make sure it hasn’t slipped. You can even tell your lovers to look out for this in advance — they may be excited for such a sexy way to help you monitor your own health!

However, it's good to know that sex itself can't displace your IUD. The myth that a penis can "knock" your IUD out of place is just that: a myth. Don't worry!

5. It Hurts When You Have Sex

Some people report that sex changes a bit after you get an IUD, with certain positions feeling a bit more painful. However, if suddenly sex starts hurting, that may be your body telling you that your IUD isn’t where it’s supposed to be. This makes sense — if your IUD has gotten itself displaced, it could have found itself in a place that can make sex more painful, such as poking out of your cervix, which is a tender spot for many folks, even without an IUD.

6. You’re Dealing With Abnormal Vaginal Discharge

Vaginal discharge is your body’s totally normal way of cleaning your vagina. However, abnormal discharge can also be a sign that your IUD has slipped and is irritating your body. If you notice that your discharge is off in color, texture, or smell and it’s not a yeast infection or one of the other reasons your discharge can get messed up, contact your doctor to see if your IUD might be the culprit.

7. You’re Bleeding More Than Usual

A woman with a PMS-related headache on a pink background. Period changes can be a sign your IUD has moved.
Andrew Zaeh for Bustle

Your period will most likely change after you start your IUD — if you have the hormonal version, Mirena, you’ll probably start experiencing lighter (or even no) periods once your body gets used to it. In contrast, the non-hormonal copper IUD, Paragard, is known to make makes periods heavier, and lots of people experience some spotting for first couple months after they get their IUDs. However, if you notice that your bleeding is more intense than usual or you’re spotting heavily between periods, that might be because your IUD is displaced.

8. You're Suddenly Getting Really Intense Cramps

Menstrual cramps are a normal part of having a period for many people. Many people experience cramps right after they get their IUD placed, and if you choose to get the copper (non-hormonal) IUD, this form of birth control can make your cramps more intense. However, unusual cramps and pain can be a sign that your IUD is being expelled.

"Sometimes the uterus will recognize something as a foreign body ... so it'll start contracting like labor to sort of kick [the IUD] out," says Dr. Minkin. "Fortunately, that's pretty rare, but it can happen."

If you notice that your cramps are way stronger all of a sudden, or are lasting a lot longer, go visit your doctor to make sure that your IUD isn't the problem. Expulsion happens most often during the first year you have an IUD, so pay particular attention to your cramping pain levels during this time.

The Bottom Line

Most people who get IUDs have no issues whatsoever, and will enjoy up to 10 years of worry-free pregnancy protection. If your IUD does move after insertion, though, your doctor can help you out. They might pop the device back into place, or give you a new one if the first one is expelled. Once that's sorted, you can go back to living your life, however you choose to live it!

Experts

Dr. Mary Jane Minkin, MD, a clinical professor in the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences at the Yale University School of Medicine

(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

I've had an IUD before and went almost 5 years with no issues. You should check your strings monthly. One check I discovered that the strings were much lower than normal. I made an appointment to get checked out. The insert had been completely dislodged. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I have heard both sided things when it comes to IUDs, I heard they're the best thing and I have also heard they are like hell! I am not even a candidate for one because I have ovarian cysts, but if I was able to get one I feel like I would try it out. Honestly I feel like anything is better than the pill because I am so forgetful and sometimes just lazy and dont want to get out of bed to take it.  

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I know for some people they work great. But I have heard horror stories too. I have had friends that have had them removed because of the pain and bleeding they have experienced.

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I've had the pill and the IUD. I agree about being forgetful. I'm currently trying out the ring. I like it. Insert for 3 weeks and out for 1 week. I just set a reminder for the three months as soon as I pick up my prescription. Way less of a hormonal shock. The pill makes me feel like a crazy person. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I can say with confidence that I have always been fearful of IUD's. I love the 'set it and forget it' nature of it, but in the long run I think the combination of the incision made to implant and the absolute horror stories regarding the pain, removal, and movement are just too offputting personally. The pill isnt always the easiest to remember, but having the ability to regulate it personally makes me feel better. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I feel your pain. Ovarian cysts are the worst. Im not too sure I would ever be comfortable. I think I'd be parnoid for quite a while if I tried. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@francescablackiectskin-com I completely agree with you. The thought of an IUD scares me because there's so much that could possibly go wrong that I would also rather just set a reminder on my phone to take my pill. Although it is something to think about as like you said its a "put it in and forget it" type of solution to birth control but I feel like my luck with it would probably not be a good one. 

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

I've thought about getting an IUD before but I know I would become anxious from constantly checking to make sure it hasn't moved out of place. It's also concerning to me to think about how some discomfort from IUDs being out of place could potentially feel similar to cramps, or at least be dismissed as being cramps. I think it's fantastic that we have this kind of option available now, but it's also worth really considering which method of birth control is best for you. Personally, I have been taking the pill for years and plan to continue using it.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I got an IUD when I was 15 , I have the copper ParaGard. ParaGard is the 10 year birth control that doesn't contain any hormones. I can speak for myself and say I've had zero issues the past 6 years. I have heard horror stories though, with weight gain, excessive bleeding, and the IUD moving. However considering i got it  when i was so young I'm unsure if I've had any side effects that I've credited to getting older. Overall id recommend an IUD to anyone considering it , no hassle and worry free. 

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com I definitely understand the risk is super sketchy and i worried about it when i first got it but i can say ive had no issues what so ever. 

ReplyQuote

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I was on the pill for a few months before i got the IUD . Thats one reason i got my IUD because i could never remember to take it. I even had an alarm set on my phone to remind me daily and id still forget lol.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com 

I used to get cysts all the time and they would have to be removed surgically. I was not a good IUD candidate but I did not want it either. I had friends that had terrible issues so I felt it would not be good for me. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

I know someone with an IUD and they told me too many horror stories about it like how it fell out multiple times, its hurts to get it inserted back inside, etc. I think the best option for me is to stick to the pill. 

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

I have though about getting a iud since im to forgetful to be in the pill. Instead I decided to go with the nexplanon. I have heard the goods and bads of IUD but I always say everyone has diffrent experiences and has to find whats best for them

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com Yeah I also heard about IUD falling out. So scary knowing me if I had it, it would fall out at the worst time lol. 

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I have paraguard, the first couple of weeks I had heavy bleeding and terrible cramping. I had bad periods prior to switching to the copper IUD so it isn't anything i'm not used to. My periods now are still heavy and the cramping some months isn't as bad as others. I have tried almost every birth control my OB and I laugh about it but the non-hormonal seems to do my body good. 

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I had the nexplanon twice. My step sister and i got it right around the same time when I had it inserted for the first time. She stopped having her periods, I had mine for 6 months straight. I was constantly on my period both times I had it inserted. That is when I decided to switch to something else. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com When I am on my period my bleeding is bad, as well as my cramps but I have also had bad periods. I do think the copper IUD has made my flow a little worse but that is the only negative thing I can say. I like not having to worry about taking the pill, or with the Nuvaring having to remember to take it out every 3rd week, or if I decided to skip my period that month when to insert the new ring. It makes having a busy life a little easier.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

A good friend of mine has an IUD and has had no issues with it. However, I have a friend who had an issue with hers and it broke off in her cervix. I have also heard many other horror stories which leaves me with no interest in getting one inserted. It's really too bad we haven't found a way for women to be on any sort of birth control without having negative side effects. Every method of birth control that a woman takes leaves unwanted side effects. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Ive heard a bunch of stories from people with there IUDs. Its obviously gonna be a different reaction to different people. I dont think i would ever get one it just scares me. I take the depo birth control shot and it works fine for me. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I agree i feel like every women or almost every women gets some sort of negative side effect of any type of birth control.   

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com Im glad that the non- hormonal works good for you. It sucks that your periods are still bad though. 

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

When I got my IUD inserted a few years ago, I was told to do weekly string checks. I don't do every week, but I do it as often as I can to make sure I can still feel the string. Additionally, I did notice when I first got in put it, a few months after, having sex in certain positions was a little painful. That doesn't happen though anymore.

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@camiryndavisiectskin-com There is no one size fits all with birth control. I had nexplanon for a few months- and it made me a completely different person. I also tried the pill and it worked, but I wanted to try the IUD so I didn't have to take a medication. I heard a lot of different things about the IUD and how it worked for some people, and how some people had horrible experiences. I was nervous for sure, but I've responded great to it, and it's been a great option for me!

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I've been on birth control since a very young age due to my endometriosis and the need to regulate my period. My personal experience with the pill was very bad, I had constant unexpected bleeding and cramps. Because of that when I was 19 my gyno thought I'd be a good candidate for the IUD. The insertion process was to say the least, one of the most painful experiences of my life. Since then, I've had constant issues with it including my unexpected bleeding getting worse. I even had a scare where I was certain the IUD got misplaced so I went to the doctor they gave me an ultrasound and they concluded it was fine. At that point I was having such a bad experience I just wanted it removed, but the doctor refused because I hadn't waited long enough for it to adjust, nevermind my constant pain and the problems I was having. It's almost been a year and I still can't get a doctor to remove it.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I totally agree, I think there's such a lack in research around birth control, because women are expected to just deal with the awful side effects that can range anywhere from worse periods to full blown depression. There should be more options that don't mess with our hormones. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com My experience with the hormonal IUD was similar to what yours was in the beginning, but mine never got any better. I wonder now if I should've given more consideration to the non-hormonal option, since everything I've tried with hormones has given me awful results.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com My experience with the hormonal IUD was similar to what yours was in the beginning, but mine never got any better. I wonder now if I should've given more consideration to the non-hormonal option, since everything I've tried with hormones has given me awful results.

ReplyQuote

Ive had the paraguard IUD since i was 15 or 16, i had no issues with it originally. When i was 22 , i was informed at my annual that it was out of place and i needed to get it removed and replaced. I had a horrible time trying to get an appointment, they'd say they had the IUD and when it came down time to get it inserted, they didnt have it and theyd reschedule my appointment. This went on for 6 months. When i finally got it out and they had it there for me, When my gyno went to take it out, i was missing half of it. I had to go back in and get numbed so they could find the missing pieces and get them out. Luckily it was in my cervix so i didnt need surgery. I still would recommend an IUD dispite the horror story, Its honestly just so easy and if you have a reliable practice unlike my unorganized office, you should be able to get any issue addressed right away. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!