Clear all

Health

13 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
&description=" data-social-href-facebook="https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u= https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/quarantine-fatigue%3Futm_source=facebook.com%26utm_medium=social%26utm_campaign=social-share-article%26utm_content=2020050 6">

Psychologists share tips on how to make staying home a bit easier—even when you want to get out.

By Leah Groth 

May 04, 2020

?pubId=1125866826&videoId=6154363633001&w=1280&h=720&q=90&c=cc" alt="" />

00:40
01:05

On March 11, the World Health Organization officially declared COVID-19 a pandemic, and just days later, the US government launched a campaign to slow the spread of COVID-19 by urging all non-essential workers to stay home and maintain social distancing rules

For the most part, people in the US have been compliant with the recommendations set forth by the government and health organizations—staying indoors, wearing face masks, maintaining a six-foot distance from everyone outside of immediate family—but in recent weeks expert have noticed a disturbing regression dubbed "quarantine fatigue," in which people, regardless of what their local government says, have been slipping back into pre-pandemic social habits. 

There's evidence to support that social slide: Researchers at the University of Maryland, in conjunction with the Maryland Transportation Institute (MTI), collected cellphone location data from across the US and found that 48 states have seen a reduction in their social distancing index—a measurement that records compliance with government restrictions and guidelines to help contain the coronavirus outbreak. Overall, researchers have noticed people taking more non-work trips, more out-of-state and out-of-county trips, and traveling longer distances overall.

RELATED: Coronavirus Experts Want to 'Flatten the Curve' to Fight the Pandemic—Here's What That Means

This loosening of social distancing behavior, as researchers describe it, could have a devastating impact on the progress the US has already made in trying to flatten the curve—and it's important for people to continue social distancing recommendations, even as the country begins to slowly open up.

Still, it's important to recognize that social isolation can take a toll. "A few days of being at home with family seemed exciting, but after a few weeks the excitement wears off and it becomes obvious that many areas of life are on hold, and no matter what the effort, progress is not possible," Paula Zimbrean, MD, FAPA, FACLP a Yale Medicine psychiatrist, tells Health.

Psychotherapist Paul Hokemeyer, PhD, author of Fragile Power, explains that quarantine fatigue stems from that emotional exhaustion the pandemic has placed on our lives. “I'm hearing from all of my clients that they are exhausted from the sheltering in place rules. They feel unkempt. They're bored. They're broke. They want to divorce their partner and give away their children,” he says. “This pandemic has elevated the notion of powerlessness and uncertainty to a level we've never before experienced.”

But overall, these are all natural feelings, says Dr. Hokemeyer. Austin Hall, MD, medical director for the UNC Center for Excellence in Community Mental Health agrees. "Quarantine fatigue is a completely reasonable response in the context of so much change and uncertainty,” he says. “The COVID-19 crisis has transformed so many aspects of our lives in a short time. Many of us, probably most of us, are experiencing it. We need to acknowledge it as normal and forgive ourselves and each other when it hinders our ability to cope.” But how can we continue to cope, even when it starts feeling harder and harder to stay inside? We asked the experts for tips on how to deal with quarantine fatigue in the healthiest ways possible. 

RELATED: Gyms May Start Reopening Soon—But Will it Be Safe to Go Back?

1. Remember: This will pass.

“When times are difficult, we think they will last forever, but they don't,” says Dr. Hokemeyer. “Everything changes.” He suggests focusing on the truth that a “long-term strategy that entails short term discomfort is better." In the context of COVID-19, that means that all of our social-distancing right now is the best possible situation for long-term public health. “An ounce of prevention is worth 20 tons of a cure,” says Dr. Hokemeyer. 

2. Try to live one day at a time.

Think of your life in 24-hour periods, suggests Dr. Hokemeyer—thinking of your time inside in terms of days rather than weeks can make it feel more manageable. "Set up a routine. Get up the same time of day. Take a shower, put on makeup or shave, put on an outfit that makes you feel good. Articulate 2 goals that you want to accomplish that day and do them," Dr. Hokemeyer says. Then—and this is important—after your workday is done, log off. "Close things down in the evening and lose yourself in a feel-good book or binge [a funny tv show]." 

3. Use this time to take up journaling.

Journaling is a great tool during any trying time, but especially right now, says Dr. Hokemeyer. "Keep a journal of the roller coaster," he urges, suggesting writing your thoughts down every day. "Then at the end of the week go back and go over them," he says. "You'll see a pattern to this all rather than being consumed by the chaos you feel in it. In this order, you'll regain a sense of agency and power.”

RELATED: What Are Immunity Passports and Why Do Experts Think They're Such a Bad Idea?

4. Make new friends. (Seriously.)

Just because you are social distancing, doesn’t mean you can’t make new friends or develop relationships. "Reach out to [at least] one person...who is slightly outside your immediate circle of friends and family. Keep expanding this circle," says Dr. Hokemeyer. "Now more than ever we need to connect to each other through kindness."

5. Think about your life plan.

There is no better time to reevaluate your life goals. "Articulate three goals each in the personal, professional and spiritual areas of your life in the next year," says Dr. Hokemeyer. "By creating a plan for your future you'll be able to tolerate the discomfort of the present." To that end, now could also be a great time to think about things you weren't happy with, pre-pandemic, and make a vow to switch up that way of thinking when you're able to resume your daily life. 

6. Keep using technology to your advantage.

Because some degree of physical distancing will remain a necessary part of our lives for the foreseeable future, Dr. Hall encourages everyone to continue using technology as a communication tool. “Technology cannot adequately replace human contact, but it is nevertheless remarkable that most of us have such robust digital tools to use to stay connected with each other,” he says. “We should use that technology to limit our social distancing, appreciating that if this outbreak had occurred even just 10 years ago, we would have likely felt much more isolated from each other.”

Not sure where else to start other than a daily phone call to your parents or siblings? Dr. Zimbrean recommends looking to the people around you, including the media, to keep things interesting. "The media is full of examples, from zoom parties to playing tennis with your neighbor, opera singing on balconies,” she says.

RELATED: Are Coronavirus Temperature Checks Really Effective? Here's What Experts Say

7. Focus on surviving, not thriving right now.

"We can’t maintain perfection in all areas of our lives in this crisis and shouldn’t be striving for it,” says Dr. Hall. “If you are emotionally exhausted from the efforts needed to maintain physical distancing, then forgive yourself if you relax your self-expectations in other areas of your life such as your diet and exercise habits, work productivity, or parenting choices.” Basically: We're all human, and we're all doing the best we can.

8. Try to get some exercise, if your space allows.

Exercise is a great way to relieve stress right now, in addition to supporting your immune system and your mental health. Dr. Zimbrean suggests engaging in physical activities that won’t compromise anyone’s health, like a long, socially-distanced run or bike ride. “If outdoor activities are possible with maintaining social distancing, those are preferable," she says. "If spending time outside is not an option, redecorating the house or decluttering can help. Home improvement projects are at an all-time high these days."

9. Keep yourself mentally stimulated, but distracted.

Keeping your mind active with anything pandemic-unrelated can boost your mental health. Dr. Zimbrean suggests anything that can be distracting, from movies, board games to taking up a new hobby, learning a language or other new skill that may be useful later. The key is to think about literally anything other than coronavirus during these times—and sticking with it. 

The information in this story is accurate as of press time. However, as the situation surrounding COVID-19 continues to evolve, it's possible that some data have changed since publication. While Health is trying to keep our stories as up-to-date as possible, we also encourage readers to stay informed on news and recommendations for their own communities by using the CDCWHO, and their local public health department as resources.

To get our top stories delivered to your inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have experienced some av=nxiety with details about how easy it is to spread this virus. I try to keep myself busy with thinking tasks but when I am tired I lay down for a while. There is nothing wrong with taking a breath. I have no family close by so I keep up with Facebook and phone calls. 

Journaling is a great idea even if its short or just a gratitude list. I've bought a few plants to cheer up the patio. I love being able to see the colors when I'm sitting on the sofa. 

Taking a walk has been good too with my husband. I don't have to go a long way just something to get out of the house

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I feel as though we are all suffering from quarantine fatigue, but I know even just stepping outside for a few, going for a walk or maybe riding your bike around can help; I know it helps me from time to time when I feel as though I am getting very anxious and need something to distract myself and give myself a new surrounding. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

@deborah I realized not looking at the news and being on social media as much looking at all the "breaking news" about COVID has helped me with anxiety a lot because im not overwhelmed with all this news. I also have been going on little walks and sitting outside. Sometimes if it is nice out I will go for a drive with the windows down. Its the little things that can actually make a huge impact. 

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I do the same thing with the news and social media. I know if there is something big and worth knowing then I will get a call or text from my mom in Florida haha 

ReplyQuote

@deborah I love my house plants. Plants are mood boosters and air purifiers. 

ReplyQuote

This funk is so hard on everyone. All of the suggestions are really good. Honestly I had to learn those coping mechanisms after having children. When you have a newborn you are very isolated from the world. You enter the same kind of funk. Just handle it one day at a time.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

Now as the virus is in its 2nd full month I'm trying not to watch news in general Its just all kinds of theories and arguing on who is right or wrong. Masks or no masks, this pill or that pill. Who knows what is going on. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

I think that all these topics and points are important to try and do in your everyday life, not just in a pandemic. One thing I wish that I had done during the pandemic is pick up a new hobby. I already have an idea of one that I would like to try, but life has been so busy that I just haven't taken the plunge to just go out and try something new, but I know that I need to. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I know this was posted a year ago, but I also remember at this time having no desire to watch the news or even open social media because there was just so much going on. So many different views on everything. One minute the news was saying one thing that is good for you to do was the next day something bad for you. It was a mentally exhausting time for many. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

Your correct Kaytlyn

The news everyday was too much to watch. It was disturbing and I finally stopped watching. I would see headlines on my phone and just keep moving. All the social media was very bad as people could no longer post an idea without being attacked. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

it is so easy to be in quarantine fatigue and not even realize it. i think we are so far embedded into this pandemic and we have had to deal with this virus for so long that some of the restrictions we once were so strict on we have become a bit more lax with. there are some behaviors such as wearing the mask and maintaining extra distance when in public spaces that are from the pandemic that I think wont be going anywhere anytime soon

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com yeah i definitely wish i stuck with some hobbies i tried to pick up during quarantine but as soon as I was bored with one thing I was on social media trying to find my next hobby to part take in 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!