Clear all

Hand Washing

29 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

To save yourself from superbug infections, wash your hands, Hong Kong hygiene expert says

Local hospital official strives to improve protection against and awareness of bacteria that is highly resistant to drugs

Microbiologist Dr Raymond Yung Wai-hung of Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital holding a bacterial culture. Photo: Nora TamMicrobiologist Dr Raymond Yung Wai-hung of Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital holding a bacterial culture. Photo: Nora Tam
Microbiologist Dr Raymond Yung Wai-hung of Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital holding a bacterial culture. Photo: Nora Tam

Wash your hands. It’s as easy as that when it comes to keeping superbugs at bay in hospitals.

Improved hand hygiene helped the private Hong Kong Sanatorium and Hospital to sharply reduce the spread of superbugs, according to Dr. Raymond Yung Wai-hung, its deputy medical superintendent for quality and safety.

Calling himself “a walking reminder”, he wears a hand hygiene button on his hospital coat lapel and goes through the hospital in Happy Valley daily “to make sure everyone does their thing”.

Why doctors who dish out antibiotics aren’t helping in superbugs fight

At the entrance to its 38-floor Li Shu Pui Block, visitors cannot miss the life-sized posters bearing the message: “It’s in your hands: prevent sepsis in health care.” Other signs urge them to “say yes” to hand hygiene by making use of the six bottles of alcohol disinfectant.

Among Sanatorium staff, handwashing is now so routine it is second nature to everyone. But Yung is not stopping there.

“This year, we are asking patients to be their own advocate,” he said. “The patients themselves take the initiative to ask the doctors and the nurses, ‘have you washed your hands before you touch me?’”

Yung is an advocate of infection control practices in hospitals. Photo: Nora Tam
Yung is an advocate of infection control practices in hospitals. Photo: Nora Tam

Sanatorium, one of 12 private hospitals in Hong Kong, has seen superbug infections fall in recent years, but did not give specific figures. From 2013 to 2017, there were only two outbreaks of superbugs in the private hospital sector, the Centre for Health Protection said. The one instance in 2014 was at Union Hospital and involved 18 patients, and the other was at St Teresa’s Hospital the following year, involving nine patients.

Superbugs are becoming resistant to hand sanitize
2 Aug 2018

This compared with 157 outbreaks at the 43 public hospitals over the same period affecting 1,530 patients.

Yung, a microbiologist and former surgeon who worked for 25 years in the public sector, set out infection control practices at public hospitals when he was the city’s first head of the Centre for Health Protection’s infection control branch from 2004 to mid-2008.

Since joining Sanatorium in October 2008, he has helped private hospitals establish infection control systems and set up antimicrobial resistance surveillance.

Proper hand hygiene is important to fight the spread of superbugs. Photo: Sam Tsang
Proper hand hygiene is important to fight the spread of superbugs. Photo: Sam Tsang

The surveillance system was implemented three years ago to collect and submit data to the Centre for Health Protection on antibiotics sensitivity relating to six superbugs.

Hand hygiene was also found to make a difference in an experiment carried out last summer at 10 local homes for the elderly. At these facilities, occupants are 

prone to carrying the common superbug Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

, more so than in nursing homes in Shanghai and Britain.

Dr. Chen Hong, an associate consultant at the center’s infection control branch, said hand hygiene ambassadors encouraged the elderly residents to clean their hands before meals, using an alcohol rub.

Hong Kong hospitals roll out full screening for superbug
6 May 2018

The study ran from July to August last year and the participating homes were split into two groups.

In one group, hand hygiene was done every two hours during the day and before meals and medication rounds. The other group did not have to clean their hands.

“We found that with enhanced hand hygiene before meals and medication, the environmental contamination with organisms such as MRSA can be dramatically decreased,” said Chen, who published the results of the study in the May 2018 issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.

Mary Ann Benitez is a veteran award-winning journalist. She has worked in print, TV and online. She now covers health, welfare, and ethnic minorities issues in Hong Kong for the Post.

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hand washing is something I hope everybody is doing many times a day. Look into the best methods as we are seeing articles from the CDC, DR's, etc. Clean under the nails as well as that area harbors bacteria. 

Viruses and different bacterial infections can be slowed with good handwashing and use of anti-bac gel

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

You would hope everyone washes their hands everyday on a daily basis or at least uses antibacterial gel. There are so many different kinds of bacteria that can be spread all throughout your daily routine so it's best to clean your hands to stop the spread of germs! 

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

YES YES YES! Washing hands is the answer. At home we have the ABC rule (really for Liam because he is 6). You have to sing your ABCs while you wash your hands. I also keep both of my boys nails short because I know they won't clean under them. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

As pretty much everyone has commented so far, you really would think that hand washing would be second nature for most of us, right? Considering we are taught from toddler age about why and when we wash our hands, it is just something that amazingly does not matter to some people. At the time that we are in now, it is unfortunate what a massive amount of society infer that they don't wash their hands or do so very limited. When I visited Italy and greece over the summer, I was impressed with the effort they made to ensure hands were washed or sanitized prior to entering all dining locations and common areas, I was surprised also too see how many people (mostly Americans I will say) complained about it or would try to find ways around it. This is genuinely one of the easiest preventative practices and people are afraid to miss out on two minutes of whatever it is that they are doing. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com people don'y and it's so problematic. Look at what we are all experiencing now and how much hand washing is part of the conversation. It's truly baffling how little people associate with the importance of it! 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Hand washing is so vital to our health and others as well. I read a study that had been done at one of the buffet style restaurants on sanitation. The door handles, toothpick dispensers and the complimentary mints had human feces all over them. Just think of everything else we touch everyday that is contaminated especially money. At this time the world is fighting a terrible virus and

handwashing is one of the most important things we can do for our safety

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

I thought I'd bring this one back up in light of our pandemic. It is now more important than ever to wash your hands! It takes about 20 seconds to do and you could save someone elses life by doing it. Something as simple as proper handwashing has have to have been advertised to us these days! From young ages we have all been told to wash our hands and as adults, I guess we have to be reminded again.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

I have gotten smooch better at washing my hands regularly throughout the da, especially because of school. Now if I don't wash my hands about every hour, or after I do something like go to the store, play with my son and his toys, I feel nasty. I now carry around hand sanitizer in my purse, and whenever I see some out in public I use that. I feel overall cleaner just by a simple task of keeping my hands clean. 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

@deborah You would think! Multiple times I have been at work and watched someone walk out of the bathroom without washing their hands ! 

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

I have always washed my hands regularly but recently I have been washing them noticeably more often. With the pandemic I am washing my hands before and after I do anything! I used to bite my nails and when i leaned about all the gross stuff under them I kicked that habit real quick! 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

Ive always been taught to wash my hands before eating and after using the restroom, but entering the medical field and reading more on how germs are spread and how many germs lie on surfaces has made me do a double take on hand washing. Obviously it is extremely important to wash you hands as much as possible to prevent spreading any germs you could have possibly contacted. Please scrub under your nails as our nails collect so much gunk throughout the day that doesnt get as clean with regular hand washing. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com 

The pandemic has also made me wash my hands 1000 times more than I normally would have before the pandemic. When I get gas im usually just getting it and heading my way without even thinking about washing my hands after touching the pump but the thought of so many hands touching the pumps plus the pandemic makes me want to wash my hands asap (or just use hand sanitizer until I can get to soap and water) 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Washing your hands throughout the day can prevent other things you touch to become contaminated. During this pandemic, it is more important than ever to continue to wash your hands properly, even if you were in bed all day playing on your phone, the bacteria on your phone will transfer to your hands. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

Proper hand washing is vital to help stay healthy. When you touch the animals, door knobs, and handles at the store its important to wash hands an /or use hand sanitizer. I always wash hands before working on a client. I had a sink in my room so I had clients that would comment on it was good to see that we washed our hands before treatments even though we used gloves for treatments

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I am very adamant about washing my hands like some of the worse sickness you can get from not washing your hands and that is enough for me to wash them multiple times a day. Even after I wash my hands I take precautions to not get more germs on my hand. I also always keep hand sanitizer on me everywhere I go. Any time I touch something that I know has been contaminated I sanitize my hands. 

ReplyQuote

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com You would be surprised by how many people that I know that use the bathroom without washing their hands.

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com Most people don't properly know how to wash their hands and it is no fault of their own but I think it is something that should be talked about more and understood better.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I wash my hands quite often because I hate the feeling of dirty hands. If I am not able to wash my hands I use hand sanitizer. You never know where things have been and who has touched what. Washing your hands thoroughly throughout the day is so important for your health. 

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com I am the same way at the gas station. Once I touch the pump I avoid touching anything until I put the pump up then I will use hand sanitizer right away.

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com It amazes me how many people do not properly wash their hands. I have seen multiple people just put soap in the palm of their hands, rub their hands together, and rinse it off. I feel like at that point it is not really doing much since bacteria spreads.

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

I am definitely an obsessive hand washer/sanitizer. I do not like when my hands feel dirty. People failing to wash their hands perpetuates the spread of bacteria. Even places you may think are clean might contain bacteria. 

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I never really thought about how dirty money truly can be until I started working in retail. Sometimes I'll notice that the money even looks like it has dirt on it. I always make sure to wash and sanitize my hands after handling money.

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

I am extremely adamant on washing my hands. So much so that my hands are regularly dry. I work with money a lot, so I tend to wash my hands after contact with cash each time. It is so important to our health and others that we keep our hands clean when touching things and before treating clients. Germs are on everything that we touch and are so easily transmittable.  

ReplyQuote

@oliviarossiectskin-com I agree! Even if I just washed my hands and I touch something that isn't completely clean, I have to wash them again. My hands will be so dry by the end of the day but I prefer having them dry rather than feeling dirty. I also am anal about cleaning surfaces (door handles, etc) especially when I stay in a hotel or somewhere where I know the cleaning procedures aren't up to par.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com Yes! I hate touching anything like that because even if they get cleaned, they aren't actually clean! There are so many germs on every surface that we touch, but those gas handles are just extreme.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

handwashing for me is an absolute MUST!!! i have a 5 year old who is in school and as soon as he gets home, he washes his hands, before helping me cook, wash hands, time to brush teeth, he washes his hands. i have made my son very aware of the importance of washing hands, and even when we are out in public, when he sees a sanitizer dispenser, he uses it. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@camrynauxtiectskin-com those gas handles are very dirty! i keep hand sanitizer in my truck and purse. after i pump my gas i HAVE to use it or i feel contaminated.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@oliviarossiectskin-com i agree, the cleanest places still have bacteria. there is a level of bacteria that our bodys need to come in contact with to become stonger, but, there are very nasty people and places in our world and sometimes it can seem to be too much

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!