Cough Droplets Study

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Cough droplets can travel beyond six feet, new simulation study suggests

(CNN)A new simulation study suggests that a person coughing can disperse droplets well beyond six feet, and that anyone shorter than the person coughing -- such as children -- might be at a greater risk of encountering the downward trajectory of those cough droplets.

How coronavirus moves through the air beyond coughing

During the coronavirus pandemic, the dispersion of cough droplets has become of great interest among scientists. The new study, published on Tuesday in the journal Physics of Fluids, evaluates the risk of spreading the virus through cough droplets in the air under different tropical outdoor environments.
"Young children may be at greater risk compared to adults based on the typical downward cough trajectory. Teenagers and short adults are advised to maintain a social distance greater than 2 m from taller persons," the researcher wrote in the study. "Surgical masks are known to be effective at trapping large droplets and therefore recommended for use as necessary."

See how far spit droplets travel through air when we talk

The researchers -- from Singapore's Agency of Science, Technology and Research -- used numerical models to simulate the trajectory of droplets expelled by a person who suddenly coughs outdoors with someone listening nearby.
The researchers ran the simulation with different droplet sizes, air temperatures, relative humidity, wind speed and varying distances between the cougher and the listener.
The study suggests that at wind speeds of 2 meters per second -- or about 4 miles per hour -- the travel distances for droplets around the sizes of 100 micrometers and 1,000 micrometers can reach 21.6 feet and 4 feet, respectively, at 86 degrees Fahrenheit.
Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter

Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.

For a 100-micrometer droplet, the researchers found that the travel distance increases from about 3 feet without wind to about 22 feet at a wind speed of about 6.7 miles per hour.
The study has some limitations, including that the results are based on simulation models -- not real-life experiments -- and the effects of ambient temperature and humidity on the viability of the coronavirus remains unclear.
close dialog
The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta
Get the latest expert advice to live
a healthier and happier life
By subscribing you agree to our
Privacy Policy
This isn't the first time a model has suggested that a cough can travel farther than six feet. In May, separate research out of Cyprus that also published in the journal Physics of Fluids found that a light breeze could carry some droplets as far as 18 feet.

(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

Now more than ever, we need to be aware of covering our mouths when we cough. We were all taught at a young age "the vampire cough", when you cough into your elbow. Not only is it just courteous to cover your mouth, these days it's a full blown health hazard if you don't. Some people have even been arrested for coughing on other people deliberately. You don't know what kind of diseases your body is carrying or if you do, that disease might have a low impact on you, but if it gets into someone who is immunocompromized, it might do some serious damage to them. Now with science saying our couch droplets travel more than 6 feet, we all need to more aware about how our coughing will be affecting others.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes Amanda. Its very important to not become careless with mask wearing. We have learned that droplets fly much farther than we ever thought. Masks are essential for our health and others we come in contact with. I hope that people are washing the reusable masks often. Coughing into the elbow is a good practice. On another note I see people sneezing without covering the mouth area at all which is not good at all.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

The masks are a very good way to help stop the spread of the cough. I still cover my face when i cough in public even though i am wearing a mask, it is a habit. I then have to change my mask right away because i feel a little nasty wearing a mask that i just coughed in, especially if i sneeze haha. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I think the masks are good too Nora. If everyone would do their part with the pandemic I do believe it would help. The chance of a vaccine soon is great and there are high expectations.

Wearing masks and taking other precautions everyday will help us and others to stay well

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

Reading this and seeing "short adults" makes me think about all the times that I was on the receiving end of peoples cough droplets. I for some reason thought before reading this though that cough droplets would travel at faster mph then what is stated in this article.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@noracrainiectskin-com Agreed masks are a great protective way for each other. To us masks are so new and so unheard of but in other countries it was always normal to walk down the street and see someone with a mask. They either do this to protect themselves from others. Or others just simply did this because they knew they didn't feel well and didn't want to risk getting someone else sick.

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

reading things like this is always interesting because it makes sense and it feels like something most people would know but its never something someone would just sit and think about. everyone should always be covering their mouth when they sneeze or cough to reduce the spread of any type of bacteria/germs, even before the pandemic. but i feel like the pandemic really highlighted the importance of it 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@noracrainiectskin-com i cover my mouth too when im wearing the mask out of habit! i always feel like i look silly doing it but then i feel awkward when i forget too 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!