Clear all

Consultation

10 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Johnson & Johnson shares slip after California jury orders it to pay $29 million in latest talcum cancer trial

J&J shares were lower after the company was ordered by a California jury to pay $29 million to a woman who alleged that asbestos in the company's talcum-powder-based products caused her cancer.

J&J denies allegations that its talc causes cancer, saying numerous studies and tests by regulators worldwide have shown that its talc is safe and asbestos-free.

Johnson & Johnson shares were down Thursday after the company was ordered by a California jury to pay $29 million to a woman who alleged that asbestos in the company's talcum-powder-based products caused her cancer.

It was the latest defeat for J&J, which is facing thousands of similar lawsuits. The company denies allegations that its talc causes cancer, saying numerous studies and tests by regulators worldwide have shown that its talc is safe and asbestos-free.

The New Jersey-based company said it will appeal the verdict, which was made in California Superior Court in Oakland.

"We respect the legal process and reiterate that jury verdicts are not medical, scientific or regulatory conclusions about a product," J&J said in a statement. "We are disappointed with [Wednesday's] verdict and will pursue an appeal because Johnson's Baby Powder does not contain asbestos or cause cancer."

J&J faces more than 13,000 talc-related lawsuits. A Los Angeles jury last year awarded $21.7 million to a woman who blamed her cancer on the powder. J&J also lost a motion to reverse a jury verdict in Missouri that awarded more than $4 billion to 22 women who blamed their ovarian cancer on asbestos in the company's products.

J&J relaunched its iconic namesake baby product line last summer to reverse a decline in J&J's baby care unit. While trusted for decades, the 124-year-old brand had fallen out of touch with consumers, namely millennial moms, who opted instead for cleaner, natural products from trendy upstart brands.

J&J, which has a market cap of $371.3 billion, has seen its shares climb more than 8 percent since the beginning of this year. The stock is up nearly 4 percent over the past 12 months.

— CNBC's Angelica LaVito and Reuters contributed to this report.

J&J shares slip after jury orders company to pay $29 million in talcum cancer trial - CNBC

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Since 1960 the public has been warned regarding talcum powder use. Talcum is a mineral which seems innocent enough but studies have shown links between using talc and ovarian cancer. Johnson & Johnson has paid millions in lawsuits over the past three years.

Inhaling any product with talc can cause problems. Talc as I mentioned before is a clay which contains magnesium, silicon, and oxygen. The problem is where it is mined is close to another mineral known as asbestos. 

ReplyQuote
(@virginiaduffiectskin-com)

I think it is problematic when juries who are not doctors or scientists are asked to decide whether a product did or did not cause cancer.  It can only be determined by scientific study and it is very difficult to prove a negative. I feel decisions like this are determined by emotional manipulation and not fact.  Studies have only found a correlation not causation.  And what is prolonged use of talc anyway? The studies (in combination) showed an increased risk.  What else did she exposed herself to that may have increased the risk? Conclusive evidence that talc caused her cancer does not exist. All the studies on the link between talc and cancer have mixed results. The only conclusive studies showed a link with lung cancer in the people who mined and inhaled large quantities of it. 

ReplyQuote
(@virginiaduffiectskin-com)

I think it is problematic when juries who are not doctors or scientists are asked to decide whether a product did or did not cause cancer.  It can only be determined by scientific study and it is very difficult to prove a negative. I feel decisions like this are determined by emotional manipulation and not fact.  Studies have only found a correlation not causation.  And what is prolonged use of talc anyway? The studies (in combination) showed an increased risk.  What else did she exposed herself to that may have increased the risk? Conclusive evidence that talc caused her cancer does not exist. All the studies on the link between talc and cancer have mixed results. The only conclusive studies showed a link with lung cancer in the people who mined and inhaled large quantities of it. 

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

i agree with both of you ,  the warnings about talcum powder have been around for years,  and I remember people in my family switching to corn starch as early as the 1980when some of my younger cousins were born.  My mom however powdered my little bottom with it and my brothers as well.  So I guess I find it interesting in the first place that so many adults still use it and women most of all .  I havent for many years or any other kind of powder .  I wasn't aware that so many people still do.  Most companies that do research on their products have a history of covering up or misleading the public about possible harmful side affects. And often the research is conducted by the companies themselves, or by a another research firm that the company is paying for .  I applaud the people who file these lawsuits, because they probably won't see a dime from any settlements. and if any are made the lawyers will get most of it.  At least they've brought the matter to the publics attention and we can decide for ourselves if we want to continue to use these products

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I agree with Virginia on how can regular people decide if the talc is causing the cancer. It should be someone who has knowledge on studies and previous experiences with talc. Also about how can they be sure that is what caused the cancer because our bodies can be exposed by so many things over time. In the article it says sales have dropped because millennial moms are switching to "trendy" cleaner natural products. They say it like it is such a bad thing to switch to something cleaner and safer. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Many studies have been done on the relation of talc and cancer link. Warnings have been made public for years due to these studies

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Cornstarch is a good alternative to talcum powder. The particles are larger compared to talcum powder. Talcum powder is usually scented so this can cause issues as well with the skin. The doctors examining the tissues of ovarian cancer patients find talc in the ovaries , pelvic lining, and lymph nodes. The talc takes years to go away in the body tissues

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I agree with virginia on this one when it comes to ruling out whether people have had certain medical conditions there should be doctors involved in making that decision. But especially with the evidence that they've found like what Debbie posted companies like J&J can't deny especially with all these people coming out about it. I just hope that they stop putting talc in cosmetics too and switch to safer ingredients. 

ReplyQuote
(@rosariakenneyiectskin-com)

Talc is also found in other cosmetics like blush. It creates a soft silky texture to the product. It may lead to irritation in the skin clogged pores dehydration.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!