Consultation - Wearing Gloves

27 Posts
12 Users
1 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Herpetic Whitlow – Overview

Herpetic whitlow is a painful hand infection or lesion that typically involves one or more fingers. It is usually caused by herpes simplex virus 1, but occasionally it is caused by the herpes simplex virus 2. It usually afflicts health care workers, such as dentists. The symptoms can be treated, and the condition usually lasts several weeks.

Herpetic Whitlow

People who are affected by herpetic whitlow typically complain of pain in the fingers and swelling of one or more fingers. There are sometimes lesions on the fingers as well. The thumb and the index fingers are usually the affected fingers, although any finger may show signs of herpetic whitlow. Many people with the condition have a fever before the pain and swelling appears in the fingers.

The people most at risk of herpetic whitlow are health care workers who are exposed to genital or oral secretions that contain the herpes simplex 1 or 2 viruses. In addition, people who care for others who have lesions on their fingers from herpetic whitlow are at risk. Children are sometimes affected, particularly if they suck their thumbs. Also, people with a compromised immune system are at risk for infection and even for rare complications.

Herpetic whitlow in young kids

Epidemiology of Herpetic Whitlow

This infection can be found in any age group. However, it is most common in children who suck their thumbs and in healthcare providers (medical or dental) who are exposed to patients’ oral mucosa while not wearing gloves. The infection is most common in dental hygienist and respiratory therapists. Herpetic whitlow has also been documented in athletes who wrestle and adolescents and young adults following genital herpes exposure. Its incidence has been reported at 2.4 cases per 100,000 people per year.

Types of Herpetic Whitlow

There are two types of Herpetic Whitlow.

1. Herpes simplex virus- type 1 (HSV-1)
  2. Herpes simplex virus- type 2 (HSV-2)
  • HVS-1 is mostly contracted by medical workers who may have accidentally acquired it in their line of duty. HSV-1 is the main causative agent of herpetic whitlow with approximately 60% cases and the rest of the 405 covered by HSV-2.
  • HSV-1 mostly affects fingertips, mouth, and lips. This lesion usually affects the fleshy part of the fingertip. Patients with HSV-2 acquired it from an infected person who most probably was HSV-1.
  • Patients with HSV-2 sometimes do not have an idea that they have contracted it. HSV-2 mostly causes genital herpes through sexual relations.
  • Both HSV-1 and HSV-2 are lifetime diseases. Patients with HSV-2 are susceptible to contracting HIV infection.

Risk factors of Herpetic Whitlow

A number of factors increase the risk of developing whitlow. These include:

• Herpes simplex virus 1 or 2 infection
  • Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection
  • Injury to the finger with the broken skin surface
  • Nail-biting habit
  • Self-inoculation with unwashed fingers (among children)

Causes of Herpetic Whitlow

Herpetic whitlow is a viral infection of the finger caused by the herpes simplex virus (HSV).

A person may develop a herpetic whitlow if broken skin on a finger (usually trauma-induced) comes into direct contact with HSV sores or blisters (such as cold sores or genital herpes) on someone else’s body or on their own body.

What happens biologically is that once the skin is broken and HSV enters the body, the virus infects human epithelial cells, replicates, and symptoms occur.

While anyone (children and adults) can get herpetic whitlow, there are certain factors that increase a person’s chances of becoming infected.

Some of these factors include:

• Having a weakened immune system (such as having HIV or cancer that affects the bone marrow)
  • Taking a medication that suppresses your immune system (for example, a corticosteroid or chemotherapy)
  • Engaging in occupational hazards, such as not wearing gloves as a dentist, doctor, or other healthcare practitioners

Symptoms of Herpetic Whitlow

Hеrреѕ whіtlоw lеѕіоnѕ аrе uѕuаllу ѕmаll аnd very painful.

Whеn thе hеrреѕ simplex vіruѕ іnfесtіоn appears оn thе finger іn thе fоrm оf a whіtlоw, thе ѕуmрtоmѕ аrе ѕіmіlаr tо herpes іn оthеr раrtѕ оf thе bоdу.

Sеnѕаtіоn: Thе іnfесtеd аrеа wіll burn оr tingle, аnd thе реrѕоn mау bеgіn tо fееl раіn bеfоrе аnу nоtісеаblе lеѕіоnѕ арреаr.

Infесtіоn: Thе fіngеr wіll bеgіn tо swell аnd redden аѕ thе infection develops. Thе blisters wіll арреаr аnd bеgіn tо fill wіth fluіd оr pus. Thеrе mау bе оnlу оnе bubble, оr a grоuр оf them mау develop. Thеу аrе typically ѕmаll аnd vеrу раіnful tо touch.

Ruрturе: Thеѕе bubblеѕ wіll thеn еxрlоdе іn thе соmіng wееkѕ. Onсе thе wounds hеаl, thе іnfесtіоn rеturnѕ tо іtѕ dоrmаnt ѕtаtе.

Othеr ѕуmрtоmѕ mау арреаr аt аnу tіmе durіng іnfесtіоn, іnсludіng:

• Swelling оf thе lуmрh nоdеѕ іn thе аrmріtѕ оr elbow аrеа
  • A Fever
  • Rеd marks аrоund оr leading аwау frоm whіtlоw

Thе wound may create infection іn ѕоmе реорlе оvеr tіmе. Whіtlоwѕ uѕuаllу reappear іn thе ѕаmе аrеа оf primary іnfесtіоn.

Herpetic Whitlow and its Complications

While it’s uncommon to develop complications from herpetic whitlow, if they do occur, they usually include one or more the following

• Scarring
  • Nail damage
  • Numbness
  • Skin hypersensitivity

Rarely, herpetic whitlow causes a disseminated HSV infection when the virus has spread from its local site to other areas of the body, like the brain or spinal cord. This is a very serious complication and requires hospitalization.

In addition to the vesicle or vesicles on the finger, people experience burning and/or tingling pain within the affected finger. Interestingly, this pain (similar to other herpes infections) often precedes any skin changes. Some people also experience a fever and swollen lymph nodes in the armpit and/or upper limb.

How is herpetic whitlow diagnosed and tested?

Health History and Physical Examination

• The main focus of history is to identify the possible source of the infection. Information about exposure to infected individuals or body fluids will be elicited by the physician.
  • It has to be identified as well if this is the primary infection or already a recurrence. During the physical examination, the physician will examine the affected fingers to identify the symptoms that are present.

Laboratory Tests

• Usually, the diagnosis is established with a health history and presenting symptoms. However, the physician may request other laboratory tests to confirm the diagnosis.
  • The presence of HSV may be confirmed by performing either through a viral culture, fluorescent antibody testing, serum antibody titers or DNA hybridization.
  • It is ideal that the specimen for testing should be obtained from newly developed lesions in order to maximize the sensitivity of the diagnostic test.

Treatment and medications

Herpetic Whitlow cases normally clear up without any treatment in a month or a little longer. But if the symptoms are very painful and take a long time to heal, treatment may be necessary. Treatment for Herpetic Whitlow include

Analgesics

Analgesics are useful in reducing painful symptoms in patients.

Antiviral medicines

Antiviral drugs are administered to people to kill the Herpes Simplex virus that has infected the body of the sufferer. Topical application of antiviral medicines like Acyclovir can be quite effective in reducing the symptoms.

Dynamiclear

Application of Dynamiclear after an outbreak of the lesions can clear away the infection in 3 days.

Propyderm NF cream

Application of Propyderm NF cream for a month or two is found to cure the condition completely.

Herpetic whitlow oral medications

These oral medicines are quite popular as Herpetic Whitlow remedies.

Oral spray

Applying the homeopathic oral sprays like Herpiset thrice a day can also result in a reduction of the symptoms.

Oral antiviral medicines

Application of oral antiviral creams and medicines can also quicken the healing process.

Herpetic whitlow home treatment

Looking for good herpetic whitlow home remedies? Know about some of the main herpetic whitlow natural remedies that you can use to get rid of this disorder.

Ice packs

Ice packs against the swollen lesions

Pressing ice packs against the swollen lesions in the initial stages can help reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Cold compresses are found to be quite effective in treating pain symptoms.

Improved diet

Incorporating essential proteins, vitamins and minerals to the diet of the patient can make it well-rounded and boost the immunity of the sufferer.

Prevention of Herpetic Whitlow

• Do not share towels and use public toilets.
  • To avoid spreading, cover the infected blisters with dry plaster.
  • Doctors and nurses who treat HIV patients should wear rubber gloves.
  • Beauty therapists should avoid treating individuals with herpes infection.

(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

This was an eye opening article.  I had never heard of this , just regular herpes and cold sores.  Its pretty standard to wear gloves as an esthetician now but I wondered about other professions like massage therapist.  Should they be wearing gloves too?  And I wondered if their training focused at all on infectious and contageous diseases of the skin.  I have never seen any of the therapist I work with wear gloves . I wonder if wearing gloves in any way would hinder them from performing their jobs, since their since of touch is paramount to what they do.  I have a feeling in the near future they will be wearing gloves too, and some massage therapist may do it voluntarily after reading this article

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

This is a good article why all health care professionals should wear gloves when treating clients and patients. In nail salons the worker usually does not wear gloves but when cutting cuticles there is blood. I have had this happen to me a few times and only one worker used an antiseptic. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I haven't heard of this either. But I agree with Lee about other professions, I'm surprised they don't make hair stylist wear gloves because some people do not wash their hair or want it washed and there's so many scalp conditions and it should be a protective thing for anyone coming into contact with someone while preforming a service. 

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

When I used to get my eyebrows waxed at a nail bar I also noticed they didn't wear gloves even when waxing. It's surprising the kind of things you can get with skin to skin contact. I never knew about this but I'll be definitely sharing this article with my boyfriend who is a nail biter. Open wounds on the hands and on the cuticles can leave us very susceptible to infection and I can only imagine how painful this will be.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

This article on herpetic whitlow is informative. Skin to skin contact is constant within the beauty field, it's important to wear gloves and be safe, than not to & regret it by catching something. 

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com I never even thought about that, but you're right I don't see very many hairstylists wearing gloves!!

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

This makes me want to wear gloves all day every day. Thinking about everyday things that we touch, that has been touched by so many other people, and you dont know how unsanitary they are, is gross. you see so many people touching surfaces, money, other people, etc and then eating with their hands without washing. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com I cant remember seeing my hair dresser wear gloves unless they are using hair dye! i dont think i have ever thought about that until now!

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com exactly. and wearing gloves isnt just for your safety, its for the clients as well. cross contamination is a huge thing

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

More Spa's are letting the estheticians wear gloves for all services as they did not in the past

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I have never heard of this before. I have been to many spas to get facials, massages, manicures and pedicures and not one person has worn gloves. wearing gloves is super important for your safety when dealing with any skin to skin contact 

ReplyQuote

@noracrainiectskin-com I agree! Cross contamination is huge as some people for not know how to sanitize / wash properly.

ReplyQuote

@deborah Same here. I have been knicked many times at the nail salon and only 1 person has ever treated it correctly.

ReplyQuote

wearing gloves helps protect us from blood borne pathogens, and any pathogenic bacteria keep the client and esthetician safe, these should be worn at all times

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com exactly, cosmetologists should always wear gloves

ReplyQuote

@deborah I didn't even think of nail salons! the amount of cuticle bleeding or any bleeding that can occur between client and employee, they definitely should be wearing gloves.

ReplyQuote
(@melissalandersiectskin-com)

I have never heard of this condition.  Another reason to wear gloves.  It looks painful.  

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

Wow! This is definitely a reason to always wear gloves, use antiseptics and wash hands! 

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com as they should! gloves are so important! its so easy to spreading something unintentionally

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

Wow this is very eye opening. I haven't heard of this condition before that defiantly makes me want to wear gloves!

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I have had many facials as well and none of them have worn gloves. It is very important to wear them to protect yourself.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com That's crazy that they wouldn't allow them to wear gloves for all services if they wanted to. That should be allowed for the people that want to protect themselves.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

I believe it is important to wear gloves as any professional coming into contact with clients, there are many reasons such as cross contamination.

ReplyQuote

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com I agree, I find it interesting because It isn't something I have ever thought of. However I do think its necessary to wear gloves as a hair dresser as well.

ReplyQuote

@alexisdozieriectskin-com Thats so surprising to me, I think anyone giving a facial should be wearing gloves while touching someones face. For the safety of the client and the esthetician.

ReplyQuote
(@melissalandersiectskin-com)

As a former hairdresser, I only wore gloves for color services.  We weren't taught to wear them for haircutting, I would think you'd go through a lot of gloves because of accidentally cutting them!  I there were gloves that fit you perfectly that may help.  Though it didn't happen often, I was always grossed out touching a dirty head of hair with my bare hands! haha 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!