5 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

CDC reports 153 possible cases of vaping-related illnesses, many involving THC

Grace Hauck

USA TODAYAugust 22, 2019

Like to vape? Dabble in dabbing? Be careful: The number of vaping-related illnesses among teens and young adults is on the rise.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced this week that 153 possible cases of severe lung illness linked to vaping were reported across 16 states in the past two months. Many cases involved the use of products containing tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the psychoactive chemical found in cannabis.

The cases were reported in: California, Connecticut, Florida, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Pennsylvania, Texas, Utah and Wisconsin. Similar cases have also been reported in three additional states – Ohio, Virginia and Tennessee, according to NBC News. Wisconsin has seen at least 15 cases, including vaping-related lung illnesses among older people.

People reported breathing difficulty, shortness of breath and/or chest pain before hospitalization, the CDC said. Some reported gastrointestinal illness including vomiting and diarrhea, as well as fatigue.

The Food and Drug Administration has joined investigation efforts and is providing technical and laboratory assistance to help identify any products or substances used.

No vaping-related deaths have been reported, the CDC said.

Vaping: Life-threatening illnesses could have stemmed from vaping, doctor says

E-cigarettes: Flavors may increase your risk of cardiovascular disease, study finds

https://media.zenfs.com/en-us/usa_today_news_641/aa476a4f144b9dc7c0482fcd6059afc 5" alt="Marshfield High School Principal Robert Keuther displays vaping devices that were confiscated from students in such places as restrooms or hallways at the school in Marshfield, Mass., on April 10, 2018." />
Marshfield High School Principal Robert Keuther displays vaping devices that were confiscated from students in such places as restrooms or hallways at the school in Marshfield, Mass., on April 10, 2018.

Although the CDC has not identified a cause of the lung illnesses, it's unlikely that an infectious disease is to blame. All reported cases have involved the use of e-cigarettes.

Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, a pro-vaping organization, said THC may be playing a key role.

"Several health departments are now linking street vapes containing THC or synthetic drugs to these illnesses, and we remain confident that this is the case across the country," Conley said.

He commended the ongoing health investigations, adding that "nicotine vaping products remain a far safer alternative to smoking."

(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

I hope this is a trend that doesn't last,  I think young people in each generation look for ways to separate themselves from the previous generations,  Maybe smoking cigarettes was viewed as uncool, and old fashioned,  It smells bad and costs too much and it isn't cool at all.  Vaping was marketed to them as an alternative, it smells better and isn't as bad for you.  But apparently this isn't so.  And now people are using these vaping devices for synthetic and illegal drugs,  it just goes to show you that this trend is just as dangerous and when it comes to smoking or inhaling anything into your lungs the risks will always be there no matter what the manufactures tell us

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree Lee. These devices are looked at as safe alternatives to smoking or stopping smoking. Teens have the opportunity to use these vaping devices with all kinds of mixtures. It stands to reason that inhaling chemicals is just as bad as tobacco with all the chemical additives. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I read in an article that they are adding things to vape pods which I think could be a big cause of all these issues. They are trying to stretch the products but they do not know ( or maybe they do not care) what the effects of heating up these chemicals will do. 

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I actually saw Dr. Oz talking about this yesterday! I don't think taking vapes off the market would be succesful because it is extremely popular but I think it absolutely needs to be regulated as to how much you can sell to people in concentrations because people are developing serious health problems from it. 

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

I certainly hope this gets banned to anyone younger than 21, as alcohol is. Kids aren't going to doing any investigation about the risks of these chemicals, and the damage that they can cause. Adults, don't  investigate, so why would kids? I know they are pushing for some regulations and let's hope it happens fast, so our kids don't become seriously ill from these chemicals that haven't had long term studies. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!