Clear all

Consultation - Bottled Water

27 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Industry and health experts are actually pretty divided over the subject.  

By Lauren Wicks 

July 26, 2019
 cleanString alt
GNL MEDIA/GETTY IMAGES

It’s more important than ever to stay hydrated, as we may be in the midst of the hottest month in recorded history! However, is that bottle of water you found on the floorboard of your car or left sitting in your center console safe to drink after sitting in the sun for several hours or more? 

Single-use water bottles are made from polyethylene terephthalate, more commonly known as PET plastic. Some argue this type of plastic can leach the chemicals BPA and antimony when heated—antimony is considered a carcinogen by the International Agency for Research on Cancer, and BPA has been deemed safe by the FDA in small amounts, but it is linked to numerous adverse health effects. 

A  2014 study conducted at the University of Florida found after leaving 16 different brands of bottled water in a car that reached 158 degrees for a month, only one of them possessed BPA levels above EPA regulations and trace amounts of antimony. 

Even so, the lead author of this study, Lena Ma, warned against leaving bottled water in your garage for weeks, as well as in your car for a day or longer for safety reasons. But the International Bottled Water Association has said this study “misrepresents facts.”

The IBWA says BPA is not a chemical component of the PET plastic used to produce single-use water bottles and that “the consensus among these international regulatory agencies is that the current levels of exposure to BPA through food packaging does not pose a health risk.” They also noted the antimony found in the study’s samples were “minimal and well below the FDA’s health-based regulatory limit.”

Cheryl Watson, a biochemistry professor at the University of Texas Medical Branch-Galveston, agrees with Ma and her research team, telling TODAYpeople shouldn’t store their bottled water in places with a significant amount of heat. 

“When you heat things up, the molecules jiggle around faster and that makes them escape from one phase into another,” Watson says. “So the plastic leaches its component chemicals out into the water much faster and more with heat applied to it.”

Watson also says this is likely why the bottled water tastes different than it does chilled. 

The Bottom Line

There’s a lot of back and forth when it comes to whether or not we should be drinking warm water bottles we find in our car—or store packages of bottled water in our garage—but it sounds like while there’s no good reason for it to become a habit, it wouldn’t be the worst thing if you were in a bind. We’re not sure why you would drink warm bottled water if you had other options, but if you’re into that sort of thing, try to keep it to a minimum! 

We also advise for more sustainable options, such as reusable water bottles made from stainless steel or glass. Reusable water bottles make less of an environmental impact and could possibly put you at lower risk for chemical contamination. That’s a win-win in our book!

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I use a stainless steel cup for all drinks I take with me in the car or anyplace I'm outside. The bottled water bought in stores is not always safe to drink. It has been in hot trucks shipped for days or weeks. I want to keep the contamination as little as possible in my body.

ReplyQuote
(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

While there are conflicting studies regarding the safety of these single-use plastic bottles, the FDA in 2012 banned the use of plastics containing BPA from infant bottles. This ban indicated that the FDA believes that the use of these plastics is harmful. There is evidence that BPA actually accumulates in the body so consistent exposure even at low "safe" levels may have long-lasting effects upon our health. 

Plastic bottles are easy and convenient. However, there are many different BPA free reusable plastic bottle available for purchase. The use of a home filter such as Britta/Pur or even a home system coupled with reusable containers will be less expensive in the long run compared to consistent use of bottled water. 

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

Aww man my parents get only bottled water all the time and don't mind drinking out of the tap. Maybe I should show them this article to convince them to get a filter. But my aunt showed me an article that compared the purity of different bottled water brands and most of them were not as clean as they said they were. 

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

When I was in California all we bought was bottled water because our tap water had traces of arsenic in it (one year a notice would go out saying it was dangerous levels, and the next it would say they weren't dangerous levels, and vice versa so we didn't trust it) so when my parents moved out to North Carolina they were so happy to be able to drink tap water. I wonder what solutions there could be for single use water bottles for people in need like natural disasters or situations like ours where our water was not safe to drink, but not also pose another risk by containing PET. Now I use glass water bottles and use my pur filter.

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@doreengreeniectskin-com

I agree with you about the home water filters and using glass bottles to drink from. There are many filters on the market to choose from

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I heard about plastic particles getting into the water before. Since then I've had a Brita filter on my sink and use either a metal or glass cup. It filters out a lot of different things which makes me feel better. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

Carcinogen can produce in small amounts when leaving your bottled water in hot cars which is not terrible, but in large amounts it is bad for you. This is good to know!

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

@deborah I cannot agree more, I love my stainless steel cups and will continue to buy them now due to this reason

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I used to buy bottled water all the time because it was so convenient for me if I was heading out the door. in college I switched over to a brita because I hated the taste of just regular tap water but I was better off knowing it was filtered. I will now drink bottled water every so often, but I would rather just fill up one of my stainless steel cups. 

ReplyQuote

@carliecannestroiectskin-com I have seen an article about the difference in water brands. It was interesting to read the differences in PH between the different brands and seeing which ones were best to drink and which ones were the worst.

ReplyQuote

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com Ever since I was little I was told that drinking water that sat in a hot car for too long was bad for you. If I left it there over night and the water seemed hot I would just throw the water out.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

Plastic is made up of polymers or chemical-bonded molecules, that are broken down when heated. When the bonds are broken, the chemicals in the plastic can reach out into the water.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

Bottled water is so convienent to just grab and go especially because I always seem to be in a rush but I dont like to leave them in my car anyway, I usually drink them right away when I grab them.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I do not like to drink hot water anyway so it hasnt ever been a problem for me loll

ReplyQuote

@deborah I like using stainless steel cups, a lot of them hold ice for a long period of time.

ReplyQuote
(@brianahetlandiectskin-com)

theres just something about drinking water from a water bottle that makes me want to drink more of it. I've tried all the cups but unless its in a water bottle I normally don't drink a lot of water. I use to keep water bottles on my headboard of my bed and just drink them in the middle of the night until the were gone. 

ReplyQuote

@karyssamarleriectskin-com I can only drink ice cold water if I am super hot. otherwise I prefer room temperature water. I think it also is better for quicker digestion.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com i just feel like there's a risk regardless because during transportation to retailers its bound to sit in a warm warehouse or truck through transit.

ReplyQuote
(@melissalandersiectskin-com)

I don't know the facts or it what they say is true.  It really isnt worth the risk to drink bottled water out of a hot car.

I hope to one day have a whole house filter.

ReplyQuote

@brianahetlandiectskin-com 

I don't drink ice water, first because it makes me cold and freezes my teeth.  I have also heard that 

room temp water is better for you.  

ReplyQuote

@deborah 

Yes, there is really no way to trust that bottled water hasn't been heated up in some point in transit.

Not only are plastic bottles not healthy, they are horrible for the environment.  

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

@deborah I never thought about how long and at what temps bottled water has been sitting in during shipment! I use a stainless steel cup too as much as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com)

Before we came to Virginia, we were in Lemoore, CA. The water there was horrid. On the base, the arsenic levels were at the cap, so we used water bottles instead of tap water. I remember seeing that Sheryl Crow got cancer from bottled water. 

ReplyQuote
(@alexisdozieriectskin-com)

I was always taught by my parents to not drink bottled water from my hot car or when it was frozen. They always had a Brita though we never really had water bottles because they are bad for the environment.

ReplyQuote

@rebeccamatuskaiectskin-com Wow I had no idea that Sheryl crow got cancer from bottled water!

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I prefer to use my stainless steel cup as well. I feel like it helps me drink more water and is less to carry around versus a bunch of water bottles.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!