Clear all

Consultation - Alcohol

31 Posts
13 Users
4 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Alcohol-related deaths have doubled in the US and women are at an increased risk, study says

NIH Bar Lab_00030611

Happy hour at NIH? 03:27

(CNN)The number of Americans who have died from alcohol-related problems annually more than doubled between 1999 and 2017, a new study found, and that's likely an undercount, the researchers said.

The study was published Wednesday in the journal Alcoholism: Clinical and Experimental Research.
Looking at data from death certificates from 1999 to 2017, researchers from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism determined that the number of alcohol-related deaths increased 50.9% from 16.9 to 25.5 per 100,000. Specifically, they counted 35,914 deaths in 1999 and 72,558 by 2017. That's a loss of nearly 1 million Americans in that time period. In 2017 alone, 2.6% of about 2.8 million deaths in the US were alcohol related.
About half of these deaths are from liver disease or an overdose from alcohol or alcohol mixed with other drugs. Men died at a higher rate than women, but the largest annual increase in deaths was among non-Hispanic white women. Rates of deaths also increased more for people between the ages of 55 and 64. Rates of death were higher among non-Hispanic American Indians and Alaska natives.
Researchers think this number of deaths is an undercount, because while death certificates are the best way to track deaths in the US, the certificates often fail to capture the role alcohol plays in a death. Past studies have shown that only about one in six drunk driving deaths are actually reported as alcohol-related.
Americans are drinking more. Per capita consumption is up about 8% since the turn of this century and binge drinking numbers increased about 7.7%. About 70% of the adult population said they drank in 2017, averaging a little over two drinks a day. By US standards, that would put a good number of adults in the "heavy drinker" category.
Earlier research referenced in the study also showed a "significant" increase in alcohol-related injuries. Between 2006 and 2014, the rate of people admitted to the ER due to alcohol increased 47.3% among people older than age 12. Alcohol-related hospitalizations increased 51.4% between 2000 and 2015.
Dr. Elliot Tapper, who has used the same data working on similar studies that show similar results, said the new research is strong.
"When multiple researchers come to the same conclusion using different methods, I can tell you for certain these results are valid," said Tapper, an assistant professor at the University of Michigan whose area of practice focuses on cirrhosis and hepatic encephalopathy.
Tapper said he's thought a lot over the years about why there are so many more alcohol-related deaths and he attributes it to three factors.
First, he said that the increased prevalence of obesity, metabolic syndrome and diabetes make an increase in alcohol consumption much more harmful.
"This is true for people who are 18 years old, just like it is true for people who are 65," said Tapper.
Second, he said, studies have shown that people are drinking stronger drinks.
"I live in a college town and I see college kids drinking products that are sweeter, easier to drink and have a higher percentage of alcohol," Tapper said.
Finally, he thinks it's no coincidence that the number of deaths from alcohol spiked after the 2008 Great Recession, much like with other "deaths of despair."
"This is more speculative, but there is some cultural social force which is leading people to drink more," Tapper said. "That could be related to changes in socioeconomic status, but it is true we are seeing people drinking more in one sitting and there is much more binge drinking which puts people at risk."
The good news, he said, is that alcohol-related deaths are preventable and there are public health options that could reduce these deaths. Higher taxes on liquor can curb drinking. Concert venues could restrict the number of drinks someone could buy at a concert, he suggests, or there could be more stringent blood alcohol levels for drivers.
"I don't think drinking is a crime, not at all, but there has to be a way to change policy to reduce access to the insane quantity of alcohol available for at risk people," Tapper said.
Get CNN Health's weekly newsletter

Sign up here to get The Results Are In with Dr. Sanjay Gupta every Tuesday from the CNN Health team.

"If you catch people at the right time and if they can stop drinking, this is a promising situation," Tapper said. "I've seen people come into my clinic with liver failure and then after they stop drinking a year later, they look like a million dollars. The liver can regenerate and this is a problem that often times can be helped."

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have known people with severe liver damage that after a stay bin rehab went right back out and started to drink again. Some people just can't stop. 

A person has to want to stop and get help whether it be 6mos, 1 year, 0r 10 years. Some people stop for years only to get triggered once again into thinking 1 drink will not hurt. It's a constant battle between self and a devil

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I think part of the increase is because there are alot more milleneals coming of age to drink and also the whole YOLO culture of you only live once so do whatever you want which is seen as harmless but is detrimental because that can be an excuse for a bad habit. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree Carlie

Alcohol is viewed as nothing harmful and young people have been drinking for years even under the age limit. It can become a problem ling before you think about it. People can advise you about the dangers but it does not deter most people.

After a person drinks enough it will take more to get the feeling again. Its a vicious cycle. 

Drinking socially is one thing and I am not against alcohol but I am aware of how bad a drinking problem is.

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

Alcohol is the second most addictive substance, only being beaten by heroin... HEROIN!!! That's right. Almost as addictive as heroin. More addictive than nicotine, pain killers, and even cocaine. Not only is it highly addictive but it is a poison. The feeling you get while drunk is your body processing this poison. That sleepy can't hold my eyes open any longer feeling is your body shutting down so you can't continue to poison it. On that note, I enjoy drinking from time to time and have no judgement for anyone that drinks. Just got to know when enough is enough. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I don't drink personally I don't see the hype of it like others in my age group. Alcohol can cause a lot of health issues when over using it and most people don't think about it and take other things with it. 

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

Since alcohol is legal for those at the legal age to buy, it is very easy for one to become abusive with it. It may start out as a casual thing, but, after to many of those casual episodes, it may become more of a habit. There are so many ways, that alcohol can have negative effects on a persons life. It's so bad for your body chemistry, so if you already have any conditions, like depression, or anxiety, this will only make matters worse. Alcohol used socially, not exceeding a few drinks over a period of time, is safe, and harmless. Car accidents, and alcohol poisoning, doesn't happen after a few drinks. We need to educate our kids early on, about the misuse of this easily abused substance, so we can spare some many lives. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Alcohol being such an easily obtainable substance, it can very fast become misused. The culture around drinking makes it seem so fun, cool, and easy going. I personally have been drinking since i was under the legal age, I have always had older friends and am the youngest sibling. Once i hit the legal age to drink the fun of it really has disappeared for me, personally. I can still go out and have a good time without the need to down a bunch of drinks. I have seen some of my friends lives be extremely impacted by the effects of alcohol abuse and its nothing id wish on anyone. 

ReplyQuote

Alcohol being such an easily obtainable substance, it can very fast become misused. The culture around drinking makes it seem so fun, cool, and easy going. I personally have been drinking since i was under the legal age, I have always had older friends and am the youngest sibling. Once i hit the legal age to drink the fun of it really has disappeared for me, personally. I can still go out and have a good time without the need to down a bunch of drinks. I have seen some of my friends lives be extremely impacted by the effects of alcohol abuse and its nothing id wish on anyone. 

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com I completely agree, knowing your own limits is extremely important.

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I remember in high school the group of friends I hung out with were always drinking on the weekends. I felt like we always had to go to a party or something like that. I also feel like I got the partying stage out early. There are also people in my family that have addiction problems, and many friends of mine have addiction problems as well so I know what addiction can do to people so I now know my limit and if i feel like i have been drinking to much consectively then I will take a break and not drink for a while. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I agree with you that the fun has disappeared. Now I dont feel like dealing with the hangover. I will still have a few drinks but I know my limit now.

ReplyQuote

@carliecannestroiectskin-com I also feel like when youre in highschool and you surround yourself with a certian crowd you pick up on their habits like drinking.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

Good you know your limit. Women metabolize alcohol differently and faster . I partied way too much and like you I do not miss the hangovers. I have been to a recovery program 2 times and I don't wish to ever go back

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

I realized I had a problem with alcohol before I admitted it. I want to group counseling and it was those people that really opened my eyes to how bad it had become for me. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

Having lost multiple family members to alcohol related deaths, I've never been one to like alcohol or take its effects on a person lightly. I think too many people overlook its dangers when in search for a short term stress reliever. I believe the damage it does to the body isn't really worth the short lived relief that it gives, but to each their own. If you can drink responsibly then I don't believe there's any harm in an occasional drink, but most people don't take the effect it has on their cognitive ability's seriously which can lead to some very bad decisions.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@angierodrigueziectskin-com I definitely agree that alcohol is too easily obtained, for people that are of legal age and even under age. A lot of people develop a problem with it, before they can even realize the seriousness of the situation they're in.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@lindseycoganiectskin-com You're totally right, but a lot of people overlook just how addictive alcohol is, because of how commonly it is consumed.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@lanajacksoniectskin-com 

Alcohol deaths are on the rise from car accidents at all times of the day and abuse causing the person to die from damage to the organs. I feel that legal age people should be allowed to buy but if they are involved in a alcoholic car accident due to drinking a machine to measure alcohol to start their car should be installed at that first offense. The DL should be taken as well. Then if they are caught its the second offense. 1 more to go and jail time and loss of license for years can take place

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

My grandpa passed away from liver cancer because he was a heavy drinker. The people that drink one drink and cant stop need to not drink at all and control that problem. If you know someone who has a problem you should help them.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I feel bad for kids that drink in high school because they thinks its fun but then it becomes a normal habit.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com Even though im under the age to drink ive never been a drinker when my friends would go out. I dont like the taste and how i feel.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com Even though im under the age to drink ive never been a drinker when my friends would go out. I dont like the taste and how i feel.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

My family has a history of being drunks so I can see the effect it has on people. My dad passed away when I was 9 actually from his own cousin driving drunk. His bestest friend/cousin who was in the car with him when it happened and who is like my second dad, has a bad drinking problem and I see how alcohol affected him greatly which hurts me as a person.

ReplyQuote

@student I agree that people abuse alcohol for a short term stress reliever.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I have a friend that recently moved to oklahoma from the beach at North Carolina so it is a very different environment but she drinks everyday to make herself happy and it concerns me.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

Alcohol can be so easy to get addicted to especially since you see it everywhere. I don't see harm in going out and drinking as long as you do it responsibly. Two of my best friends had gotten to the point where they were drinking everyday and it was very concerning. This past year I was in a car accident due to the driver being under the influence. We were all okay but it could have ended so badly. Now that he has the blow box in his car, he has come to his senses that those beers will never be worth the risk. 

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com My friend group my senior year of high school was like that they wanted to drink and party every weekend and it just stopped being fun. They never thought that they could have a good time without a drink

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com I agree I know my limit so I stop when I know I need to. I never understood the hype around being black out drunk.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

Drinking has become a popular coping mechanism, especially in my age group common among adults 18-34. Some often get addicted even from a younger age.  

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!