Clear all

Consultation

13 Posts
7 Users
2 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Those washboard abs don't come without a catch. 

By Christina Oehler 

April 25, 2019

Forget clean eating and slaving away at the gym: The latest liposuction procedure promises to give you flawless six-pack abs without hard work or willpower. Sound too good to be true? Yeah, it pretty much is. 

The procedure, called "abdominal etching," involves suctioning fat from specific parts of the abdomen, which then reveals a person's natural abdominal lines, according to an article published this month in the journal Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. Patients can choose a more defined, chiseled look, or can opt for a natural, smooth appearance. But as you’d imagine, bypassing the gym for this surgical shortcut has its repercussions.  

abdomen abs plastic surgery woman men health plastic-surgery  wellbeing fitness
PRSJOURNAL
PRSJOURNAL
PRSJOURNAL

The article reveals that while the procedure has the potential to make your belly look like Channing Tatum's, it's not without risks. The surgery can leave you with nerve and muscle damage, not to mention infection if the procedure goes wrong. And don’t think that etching will solve your body-image issues, either. If you want to keep that rock-solid physique, you’re still going to have to hit the gym on a regular basis. 

RELATED: These Are the Most Popular Plastic Surgeries in the U.S.

Before undergoing abdominal etching, a patient’s height, weight, and BMI will be taken into consideration, as well as their health history. People who have had plastic surgery before on their abdomen are at risk for developing skin necrosis (you know, when your skin tissue dies and you’re left with gaping holes in your body). Moreover, the procedure results in swelling for the first two weeks, and it takes two to three months to fully heal. 

Moral of the story? Though the procedure exists, we say skip it. Your own abs are the way to go. 

(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I don't think this procedure is worth it if afterwards you have to still hit the gym just as hard in order to maintain it and not lose the results. I think its a dangerous mindset for people to believe that they don't have to take care of themselves to look good, all they have to do is get surgery done which can cause damage and only lasts for so long until you return back to the way you were before because the original thing that caused it wasn't dealt with whether it was emotional, hormonal or caused by stress. I think the obsession with looking a certain way and our society's unrealistic beauty standards and that being beautiful means that you have to be a certain body type or have certain facial features are what contribute to this as well as the fact that unhealthy foods and sedentary ways of living and eating are the standards in our country. I think we have to change our relationship with our idea of beauty and with the way we view our bodies and put our own health  and sense of well being and fitness first and foremost then we won't even care as much about having to look a certain way because we are already feeling good in our own body. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

When doing stomach surgery they bypass parts in the stomach so it doesn't absorb the calories. While that sounds nice, the body isn't absorbing the nutrients its needs. Life long nutritional checking  and vitamins are needed. Personally it doesn't seem like a healthy option like exercising and eating healthy. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with you about expectations of people. Body dysmorphic disorder is a subject we have discussed in class. I think this article could fall into that category

ReplyQuote
(@rosariakenneyiectskin-com)

I dont think this procedure is worth it. It can lead to complications and in some cases it looks very un natural especially for heavy set people (i have seen it on social media) its not genetically possible to have a flat stomach with sculpted abs when everything else butt thighs and arms are humongous....

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

Is it me or does the guy look like he had a boob job too?  Maybe all he needed was a chest wax.  And for others a good spray tan by a talented technician can give anyone some temporary abs like that.  This surgery sounds horrific to me.  There really is no substitute for healthy diets and exercise.  And some of us like me will never have abs like this no matter what we do.  A stranger at the gym once told me if you can't achieve a flat stomach then work out your pecs even harder.. So it will at least give the illusion that your stomach is flatter lol.  This surgery sounds risky and the downtime and possible complications aren't worth it to me either.  Id rather wear a baggy shirt

ReplyQuote
(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

It is understandable for men to feel the same pressures as women to meet body expectations. It is my personal opinion that too many doctors do not properly qualify clients before surgery. For those within normal bodyfat ranges who find the 6-pack ever elusive, it is not unreasonable to seek out a well-qualified doctor. Many people are under the impression that core exercises create that beach look. In fact, to have abdominal muscles show one must be at the lower end of the body fat range. Liposuction is actually meant to contour the body and to rid it of stubborn fat pockets. 

Plastic surgery is a tool to fine tune the body, but it will not solve feelings of poor self-worth.

ReplyQuote
(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

Carlie, I definitely agree with what you are saying regarding individual health. Having this procedure while being at an unhealthy weight is of no benefit. Having real core muscles that are strong contribute to overall health and well-being. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Lee,the surgery does sound pretty rough. There are many health risks involved that personally I would not want to risk on this surgery. I would opt to try my best to eat well and exercise to be at my best. Sometimes people have unreal expectations of what they want to look like. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Yes Carlie

I saw a man on "Botched" that had surgery a few years before to get this look. He then came back for another surgery of this type. The doctor's advised against it. There are so many people who want to look a certain way which is not altogether bad. Then there those men and women that are always searching for the best look they need. IF the person is not a good candidate the surgeon should let them know and why.

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

Carlie, I totally agree that we need to change our beauty standards. In movies, ad, and on social media, everyone sees what they believe is someone who looks "perfect" which can cause low self-esteem, when in reality people are different shapes and sizes. I think we should worry about living healthier lives rather than the size we are. Skinny doesn't always mean healthy and being bigger doesn't mean unhealthy.

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

This whole topic reminds me of a crazy story we had to read in 8th grade english class called "Lose now, Pay later" by Carol Farley. Where the plot was that people were eating this new addictive junk food and started gaining weight like crazy and then these machines called "slimmers" mysteriously popped up around the same time as the junk food did so then everybody would eat the junk food and gain weight from it and then go to the slimmers to lose weight and repeat the cycle. I feel like its kind of the same with the fast food industry and the diet industry because what both of them have in common is instant gratification an end result which is more addictive and focused on getting you hooked on their food or diet program rather than making the changes and shifts to level up out of it instead of staying in the addictive cycle. 

ReplyQuote
(@virginiaduffiectskin-com)

The surgery looks dangerous and excessive.  I some one would not put in the time and effort with diet and exercise why would they go through the risks and pain of a procedure like this? It doesn't even look like "wash board abs", it looks like someone whittled away at his stomach.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!