Consultation

14 Posts
8 Users
6 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The Shocking Ways Stress Directly Affects Our Appearance—And How to Beat It

Photo Credits: The Licensing Project | Image Used for Illustrative Purposes Only

This article first appeared in the Summer 2019 issue of NewBeauty. Click here to subscribe.

The world we live in seems rife with unavoidable stressors. Urgent “read me now” messages come flying through our smartphones on the hour. News outlets reporting on the latest tragedy run on a constant loop, the car-pool lane is always backed up, work deadlines seem never-ending, the train never runs on time, and the laundry doesn’t fold itself—and that’s just the morning routine. Stress is inevitable. Whether it’s daily stressors chipping away at us or a big, life-changing experience that rocks us to our core, stress isn’t just giving us agita and making us irritable. This natural physical and mental reaction can wreak havoc on our faces and bodies, aging us faster than a lifetime of smoking and bad eating habits. Here, we tap the experts to help us minimize the damage, and as Frankie says, RELAX.

You May Also Like: 11 Beauty Products That Help Relieve Stress

What's Happening to My Body?

According to Heidi Hanna, PhD, executive director of the American Institute of Stress, although we may feel like we’re juggling more than our parents or grandparents did, that’s not exactly the case. “Most people today are more physically and financially secure than in generations past,” she says, “but we have become bombarded with overstimulating noise, to the point that our nervous systems have become much more sensitive. At the same time, technological advancements have put greater demands on our time and energy. Because we aren’t prioritizing our personal recharge and stress-mastery techniques, the consequences are greater than ever.”

When we get super stressed, our body takes a major hit. It responds by releasing hormones that increase breathing and heart rates, and our muscles get tighter and ready to respond to the perceived danger. “Stress hormones are designed to help you survive a life-threatening situation,” says New York dermatologist Doris Day, MD. “Your blood pressure and energy levels go up and your body turns off functions that are not essential to your survival, like digestion and reproduction. Because your body is on high alert, you think more clearly, and learning and memory are enhanced. That’s very useful if you’re dealing with a true life-threatening situation, but in today’s world, we often react to minor situations with that same level of stress response.” It’s times when stress piles on that our physiological response doesn’t turn off and stress levels stay elevated much longer than necessary. During these bouts, physical symptoms begin to manifest from the inside out.

For women, dealing with stress can lead to even more stress. “The primary reactions of the male brain pattern are ‘fight or flight,” says Dr. Hanna, “while the female brain pattern is more hardwired to ‘tend and befriend.’ The combination of stress hormones with elevated estrogen and oxytocin can cause us to react by wanting to take care of others or nurture meaningful relationships.” Dr. Hanna says that when we put self-care on the back burner and hear well-meant advice like “hit the gym” or “fix the problem,” it can stress us even more.

Here's How Things Get Ugly

Aside from the onset of “resting bitch face,” stress can also turn us into a veritable wildebeest. Here's how chronic stress can do a number on our good looks.

Skin
“Constant worry can trigger the same stress response as a major threat—the release of adrenalin and other stress hormones— which over time can negatively impact our skin,” says Dr. Day. “Studies show that long-term stress suppresses the immune system in all organs, including our skin, making us more susceptible to infections and even disrupting menstrual cycles, which can lead to hormonal breakouts.” Miami dermatologist Dr. Janice Lima-Maribona says cortisol, the primary stress hormone, is the main culprit. “Normally, cortisol levels oscillate by our internal circadian clock, with peak levels in the morning and low points happening around midnight. When we’re stressed, our cortisol levels are disrupted, which can cause acne and exacerbate conditions like eczema, psoriasis, rosacea and atopic dermatitis.” Although we may live in a skin-care obsessed culture, according to New York dermatologist Julie Russak, MD, our body hasn’t caught on yet: “Our skin, hair and nails are of the lowest importance to our survival,” she says. “So, at times of stress, valuable vitamins and minerals are prioritized for our body’s vital metabolic processes and the production of stress hormones. Skin is an external barometer of what is happening internally, and we often see dull skin at times of fatigue and stress.” A dull complexion is the least of our worries—we can also expect more lines and wrinkles, too. “Consistently elevated levels of cortisol is catabolic to the body, meaning we are breaking down and failing to repair tissues, which leads to decreased collagen and elastin production,” adds Dr. Russak. “With chronic stress we also ‘tire out’ our adrenal glands and deplete their ability to react properly to stress.”

Hair
Yes, your job can make your hair fall out! Prolonged periods of high stress can lead to a disturbance of the hair cycle. Stress can cause telogen effluvium, a condition that occurs when a large amount of hair follicles are pushed into the resting phase. The affected hairs may fall out or end up left behind in a hair brush. Alopecia areata, which happens when the body’s immune system attacks the hair follicles causing hair loss, can also be brought on by the body’s reaction to stress. “A patient of mine was losing hair after a close family member was diagnosed with cancer,” says Dr. Lima-Maribona. “It was not either of these two issues, but I learned she was picking at her scalp. The urge to pull hair out of the scalp is called trichotillomania, and for that, I recommended she also seek psychiatric help.”

Nails
Cortisol has been shown to cause a loss of biotin in the body, and the combination of adrenal fatigue (which reduces how our body absorbs essential nutrients) and high stress can weaken nails. Healthy nails require vitamins and minerals like protein, biotin, silica, magnesium, zinc, and iron. “Stress makes it harder for our bodies to absorb the nutrients they need, so nail ridging, pitting, and shredding are all side effects,” says Dr. Lima-Maribona. “People coping with stress tend to abuse their nails with repetitive rubbing or biting, which also causes more damage to the nail bed.”

Teeth
One way our body deals with stress can start in our mouths. “Stress can cause us to clench and grind our teeth, resulting in joint and muscle pain called temporomandibular disorders, or TMD,” says New York cosmetic dentist Irene Grafman, DDS. “This results in headaches, neck and back aches, and worn-down, unattractive-looking teeth. Over time, chronic TMD can also create more than just aesthetic issues. As teeth are ground down, it can result in the tongue or oral tissue collapsing and closing off the body’s airway, leading to problems like sleep apnea.”

Body
“We are more likely to overeat at times of stress, reaching for foods high in carbohydrates and sugars that release dopamine, a neurotransmitter that makes us feel good. And even just one night of less than five hours of sleep can lead to the consumption of an extra 300 calories,” says holistic nutritionist Jennifer Hanway. “Studies have shown that women with high cortisol levels tend to store more visceral fat, the ‘deep’ fat stored further underneath the skin and around the organs linked to metabolic diseases and increased inflammation, than those with lower levels.”

(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

Stress may be inevitable, but it can be managed. The clinical definition of stress is the pressure felt when under emotional, physical, or mental pressure exceeds what a person feels/perceives their adaptive power can handle. There are two types of stress being chronic (longterm such as managing an illness such as psoriasis or caring for an aging parent) and acute (immediate and short term such moving, or the flu). How one manages these life stressors needs to be determined by the type of stress faced in my opinion. 

It seems that there are different mechanisms as to how stress affects appearance and the integumentary system as a whole. We have all looked at coworkers or family members at one time or another and visually identified stress.

The first is more physical (biological) representation. The underlying muscles tense creating folds and wrinkles in the skin. These repeated motions, such as frowning, over time directly impact how we look. The Glogau scale is one way to document the severity of wrinkles present. Stress also affects how we act in daily life. Poor eating habits such as comfort eating or having no appetite, smoking, interrupted sleep cycles, and lack of exercise (and self-care such as skin care routine) are all lifestyle components that directly contribute to the skin's condition.

The secondary is significantly more complex and even scientists while able to observe effects cannot define exactly all mechanisms at play with regards to inflammatory responses, oxidation, cellular repair, and consistently elevated levels of cortisol. There also is some speculation that long term stress actually rewires the brain and can create negative feedback loops within the body that keep our systems acting as if they are still stressed even after the stressor is alleviated. 

Currently, there is no one medically indicated treatment to mitigate the effects of stress on the skin's appearance. It is my opinion that the "solution" will be highly individualized. Identifying the stressor, classifying it as long or short term, determining how it is affecting the body (sleep disturbance, acne breakout, ect) and then determining what is acute and immediately manageable/can be altered in a positive way versus what will require a more sustained approach, document the plan of action (journal, pictures, client notes), enact the plan, reassess to determine efficacy, adjust if needed. 

On a more personal note, as all of you know, I tend to live a stressful life with my husband gone most of the time, have a son who has been attending school away from home for several years and I have PCOS. For myself planning for events that I know will cause a heightened stress level is my number one way to manage stress. Planning places me in control of the situation instead of simply reacting. Often times stress has us feeling out of control and to a degree helpless to alter the situation. My second key to dealing with stress is to understand and acknowledge that I cannot can any event in my life only how I choose to respond to it. For example, with my PCOS I was overwhelmed last summer and simply stopped dealing with it. By stepping back I allowed myself time to "rest" and "reset". Chronic health issues do add stress and take up emotional, mental and even physical energy. Having a plan has given me the energy to exercise and eat better as well as see a dr to take care of the things beyond my immediate control.

I feel that as estheticians we are a huge part of a client's care team. Not just the actual treatments, but being a resource for ideas and information regarding care and skin health, an outlet for them to express what is affecting them, and touch. Our opinions have weight. Our listening skills can ease stress. Our knowledge can assist clients in managing stress and its effects. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4082169/  

ReplyQuote
(@virginiaduffiectskin-com)

As a massage therapist I see and feel the effects of stress on people's bodies every day.  Not all sources of stress can be alleviated. One of the first things to go out the window when one feels overwhelmed by stress  is self care and is often judged as self indulgence by people generally.    Whether you are an MT or cosmetologist or esthetician all these services can be very helpful in reducing stress, not just the services themselves but the social interactions that help people unwind, an improved appearance that can lift a person's self regard and the implicit permission (which is no one else's to give) to forget about the problems you can not control for a little while.  

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

Yes Virginia, all of us who work in the spa industry are lucky that we give people the opportunity to check out of their busy lives for just a moment and relax.  At massage envy they want us to talk about product sales and skin prodocals for the entire session.  If a person just wants to relax for an hour I don't say a word,  I let them sleep if they need to

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

I see the effects of stress on skin all the time.  If someone isn't breaking out due to hormonal issues,  then stress is usually the cause..  I have a new vocabulary word for everyone: Psychodermatology. This is a relatively new field that addresses the impact of ones emotions as it relates to the skin.  Some dermatologist are looking closer at how a persons emotional well being and health are impacting the skin and believe that the mind and skin are connected on many different levels.  They are looking at some different approaches to helping people with skin issues such as antidepressants, relaxation therapies and counseling in helping people with skin issues such as acne, hives, rosacea, psoriasis and even vitiligo.  Maybe there will be a new field called psycoesthetics in the future lol.  I think I already have that degree since some facials seem like therapy sessions as well

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

Stress causes acne which is already very know and when we're in chronic stress the stress hormones never shut off. Cortisol causes the skin to make more sebum which leads to clogged pores and acne. When you're body releases those hormones it also releases magnesium to calm the hormones when are no longer needed. But if the body has a magnesium deficiency it cannot lower the hormone levels.  I'm ALWAYS stressed about everything, even stupid little things and I have never ending acne most of the time. I also have eczema on my hands and it does get irritated when I'm stressed and I also get a rash on my neck. I'm working on living a healthier stress free life style. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with you Doreen that having a plan to deal with stress is vital if we see a situation that triggers it. 

For instance when a student is in the state board practical testing room things can get stressful fast. In your head you know you have practiced over and over. At times doubt creeps in and stress begins. The student may try and watch others doing tasks and start doubting their skills. The room is hot and people are watching your every move. 

The student is already somewhat stressed because after all it is an exam. Compiled with that thought is the thought of not performing a task correctly. Taking a few deep breathes and staying confident can help. Positive thinking that you will do your best can help relieve stress. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Stress can really aggravate acne and other skin disorders and diseases. Cortisol levels that are always high can wreak havoc in all sorts of ways as we go about our day. The adrenal glands make this hormone called cortisol. After a stressful moment has stopped we should be able to calm down and feel better. If we are in a heightened state of stress all the time anxiety, headaches, heart disease, and problems with digestion may occur. 

Lifestyle changes may have to begin such as relaxation techniques, becoming more active for instance walking around the block, yoga, and eating a healthy diet. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Good point Lee. We hear all sorts of our clients problems and we have to guard ourselves that we do not take on this energy. I let people talk and that is sometimes all they want is just someone to listen. For some people the treatment is the only time for them to relax and they fall asleep as soon as they lay down. 

ReplyQuote
(@rosariakenneyiectskin-com)

We all at some point have been stressed, for some people it's so normal that they don't even remember how not being stressed feels like. I think some people are born with a temperament that predisposes them to higher or lower levels of tolerance to stress so maybe its also related to a person personality how they react to ''stressful' situations, something that might be very stressful to me might not be stressful to another person at all..stress impacts negatively the body functions...causing health and mental problems.

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Rosaria 

How does stress affect the skin? An example is hives.

ReplyQuote
(@rosariakenneyiectskin-com)

hives acne redness itching.

This post was modified 5 years ago by Rosaria Kenney

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

And this is why I always recommend yoga lol. Stress does affect our bodies in different ways I know for me it will either be acne or a rash if its really severe. I agree with everybody that part of our job is helping people to de stress and clock out that's what I try to do with my students when I'm teaching a class because most people who come in to the studio are looking for some sort of relief and a place of refuge and I feel like its the same way with a spa that part of the service is about that relaxation element that people are looking to have. 

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

I believe education on how the skin responds to stress could help a lot of people. For example, some may not know that acne can be caused by stressed, so then that adds to the stressors they are already dealing with and they stress about the acne which just makes things worse and so on. Skin appearance can cloud someone's mind who may be susceptible to daily criticism, such as school aged children and teenagers or someone who lives with emotionally abuse people, so that they focus on finding that quick fix for their skin's reaction, and in turn putting off things like self care and just slowing down their day a bit. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!