Clear all

Cleaning

52 Posts
22 Users
2 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
https://www.health.com/syndication/5-things-you-should-clean-every-single-day-and-3-you-can-totally-skip%3Futm_source=facebook.com%26utm_medium=social%26utm_campaign=social-share-article%26utm_content=2020012 0">

Here's what you really need to tackle on your to-do list.

By Katie Holdefehr 

January 10, 2020
Close-up of woman's hands holding red bucket full of cleaners
GETTY IMAGES

Most of us probably make to-do lists that are a little (okay, sometimes a lot) more ambitious than the hours and energy we have in the day. And that rings true for our daily cleaning routines, too. Mopping the kitchen floor sounded like a good plan at 10 a.m., but by 10 p.m., the couch and Netflix is calling our names. To make your daily cleaning routine more realistic, we're breaking down the tasks you actually need to complete each day, versus those you can totally get away with skipping (at least until tomorrow). These are the tasks that if avoided, can have real consequences, like a smelly home or potentially bigger problems down the line. As for the rest, feel free to save those chores for your bigger weekly cleaning spree. Or, you know, push them off until tomorrow's to-do list.

RELATED: If Your Home Smells Funny, Check These 8 Problem Areas 

Do the Dishes

It's all too easy to let dirty dishes pile up in the sink, but skipping this daily chore can make your home smell, or worse, attract pests. If you have a dishwasher, committing to this daily task becomes much easier. Instead of waiting for dishes to reach critical mass before loading them into the dishwasher, skip the sink entirely and get in the habit of loading each cup, plate, and utensil as you use it. Get your family on board with this routine and you'll never come home to a stinky pile of dishes again.

RELATED: Most Dish Soaps Don’t Actually Disinfect—Here’s How to Properly Sanitize Dirty Dishes

Wipe Down the Kitchen Counter (And the Stove Top)

If you leave sauce splatters and jelly spills on the kitchen counter overnight, not only do they have the potential to attract bugs into your home, but they'll be infinitely harder to wipe away in the morning. To save yourself the extra elbow grease in the morning, take one minute to wipe down the counters and the stovetop at night. Plus, it's a much better start to your day waking up to a sparkling clean kitchen counter.

RELATED: 11 Things in Your Kitchen You Need to Throw Away Now

Take Out the Kitchen Trash

Whether you made fish for dinner or cleared all of the outdated produce from your fridge, it's a good idea to empty the kitchen garbage on a regular basis, ideally daily if you cook every day. If not, the food scraps can start to smell. If you compost, be sure to invest in an air-tight container that won't let smells escape.

RELATED: 11 Things In Your Bathroom to Throw Away Now

Treat Spills and Stains

When you accidentally drip wine on the rug during your favorite show or when friends are over, it may be tempting to put off cleaning it. But the longer you wait, the less likely you'll be able to fully remove the stain. Be sure to spot-treat the stain as soon as possible, and definitely within the day, to save your couch, rug, or duvet cover from ruin.

RELATED: 7 Ways You’re Washing Your Workout Clothes Wrong

Squeegee the Shower

Wiping down the shower walls barely counts as cleaning, but adding this 30-second task to your daily routine can help prevent the buildup of soap scum, mold, and mildew down the line. Because it doesn't take very long and could save you from hours of scrubbing grout or regrouting, it's worth adding to your (and your household's) to-do list. After a couple weeks, this chore will become second nature.

RELATED: Why Dermatologists Want You to Ditch Your Loofah

Skip It: Wiping Down the Mirrors

Smudges on the bathroom mirror may seem like glaring messes, but those fingerprints and water spots aren't likely to spread germs or bacteria, and they won't make your home smell. If you want to do a quick clean that will improve appearances, go ahead and wipe down the mirror, but if you want to prioritize cleaning the areas that harbor the most bacteria, it's smarter to spend that time wiping down the bathroom sink and faucet handles instead.

Skip It: Vacuuming

Unless you're targeting crumbs in the kitchen (which can attract pests), you likely don't need to vacuum every single day. Depending upon your family and the foot traffic your home gets, adjust your schedule to once or twice a week. Sure, vacuuming regularly helps maintain your carpets and rugs and keeps your home looking neat, but this is one chore you can probably put off until tomorrow.

Skip It: Cleaning Small Appliances

If you're wiping down the microwave or cleaning the coffee maker after every single use, you're probably working too hard. Don't feel too guilty about letting microwave splatters marinate for a couple days—this microwave-cleaning trick will make it easy to wipe away the mess later. If you make your coffee in a Moka pot, a quick rinse with water and a thorough dry is all that's needed, so you can skip the soap and scrubbing.

To get our top stories delivered to your inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter

This article originally appeared on RealSimple.com

(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

One time my brother's roomates didn't clean their dishes and just left them in the sink for weeks and all of their silverware rotted and they ended up having to throw everything away. Everytime I would visit him the smell from their apartment would hit me because they never cleaned the place. I really learned how important cleaning is from that. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

My boyfriend's friends NEVER clean their house. They leave dishes in the sink for I'm pretty sure weeks. They even had a rat in the house one time and they still wouldn't clean. 

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

I can confirm that using the squeegee after taking a shower is a huge help. I have a sliding glass door in my shower and using the squeegee really keeps the soap scum off. My squeegee broke and I haven't replaced it yet. Cleaning that glass door was a pain over the weekend. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I agree with Lindsey. I had a dark brown tub and a shower with a glass door. It was so hard to clean if I did not use a squeegee on it every day.

Another thing is trash. I hate to have the trash full so I keep on top of it about 4-5 times a week. Spray the trash can with citrus 2

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@lindseycoganiectskin-com yes cleaning your shower is definitely a must. Our shower in our house we bought needs some updating because you can tell they never cleaned it the way they were supposed to and it shows. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Cleaning to me is an necessity. At a young age my mother taught me how to clean and after that it stuck with me. I strongly dislike when things or places are not clean. Whenever I see a dish in the skin or hair on the floor I have to clean it up right then and there, if not it will drive me crazy until I clean it up.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I can only handle things being "dirty" or out of order for so long until i get so anxious that i have to clean. When my room is dirty its not that its actually dirty but i do have a tendency to try on a million outfits and not want to put away the clothes after. I will say as soon i clean, i feel so much better and i sleep a lot better for whatever reason. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

My boyfriend and his roommate NEVER do dishes and it drives me insane. Whats even more annoying is that they literally have a dishwasher. Ive never grown up with a dishwasher ive always just be taught to clean your dishes as you go. Usually the first thing i do when i get to his house is clean the dishes and put them away. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I also grew up in a clean house where my mom constantly was cleaning so I hate a messy/dirty home. I always joke about how I like it to look like no one lives there but I'm kind of serious about it at the same time! 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

I cannot stand living in a messy/dirty house. I have to make sure all the dishes are washed and put away, the stove has to be cleaned off as well as the countertops, and I couldn't possible go a day without sweeping and mopping our wood floors.  I think the one thing that attributes to my house being messy is my boyfriend who cant for the life of him put his clothes in a dirty laundry basket or put his glasses in the dishwasher. What more do you expect from a man though haha.

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

From a young age my mom instilled cleaning into me. She always would make me clean the dishes, wipe the counters off and take the trash out if it was full before bed. Now i am guilty of having a dirty mirror from time to time its something I always forget about until im ready to take a picture lol. 

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com I totally understand the frustration with the lady basket. I have one in the bathroom that my brother and I share. At least 4 time a week I have to remind him to use it. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com That would drive me insane also. Its very rare that I use the dishwasher also. I prefer doing it by hand for some reason in my brain I just feel like its cleaner that way. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

The older i get the more i like my space to clean and tighty. When i was younger i didnt do alot of cleaning. We have two hairy dogs now so we have to vaccum either once a day of every other day or theres a bunch of hair everywhere.

ReplyQuote

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I have a full length mirror and in my room and i always forgot to wipe it and it gets dusty. Its gross sometimes but i always clean it when im deep cleaning my room.

ReplyQuote

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com My boyfriend does the same thing with his clothes. Like can you not see the hamper!

ReplyQuote
(@tristasensemaniectskin-com)

@camiryndavisiectskin-com I think i need to go back to washing by hand! My husband is a clean-freak, we ALWAYS make sure the dishes are rinsed before putting them in the dishwasher, I've tried different dishwasher tablets and still some come out not as clean as id like.

ReplyQuote

I agree with the article, I for sure think sitting dishes are so nasty! Also, I totally agree with wiping splatter off of the stove right away, it really helps. But we dont take the trash out every night if it isnt full. I never really thought about it, but its a good point. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I am the same way, with trying on clothes and not picking up right away and sleeping better if everything is clean. We used to have a cleaning lady, but she would never hang my clothes only fold my clothes and my drawers were so out of order, i could not handle it. 

ReplyQuote

I'm extremely particular about how my house looks so I definitely wipe down the counters and stove, always do the dishes, and I hate a full trash can. We all know that during summer time bugs are an issue so I keep our kitchen clean and as food free as possible to keep the ants and other bugs away! I am totally guilty of wanting a spotless floor too, but I have my roomba to help with that up-keep because I used to vacuum everyday lol 

ReplyQuote

@tristasensemaniectskin-com We also don't take the trash out unless it's full! Unless there is chicken or some kind of meat in there I don't want to waste trash bags and create more waste in the dumpster. 

ReplyQuote

@deborah Our shower door has hard water build up on it from the previous owners never cleaning it and I have no idea how to get rid of it! It looks horrible though 

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com That is so gross! I literally cannot go to sleep until all our dishes are done. At our apartment we just moved out of, we did not have a dish washer, so we had to wash all our dishes by hand.

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Me too Lauren. My husband is a neat freak and always wants things put in their place before then end of the night- I use to not be like this, but since being with him, he's converted me. It is so nice to wake up to a clean house and a clean kitchen. I feel like when we get into our new house I am going to have more pride in our home and want to keep it clean and tidy and pretty all the time.

ReplyQuote

@marlimartiniectskin-com Yes when you own your own home it's completely different because you want it to look nice and you want it to reflect who you are as a person. I was always a neat freak before but after owning a home I really wanted things to be organized and look taken care of.

ReplyQuote

@marlimartiniectskin-com washing all your dishes by hand is really awful but then once you get a dishwasher you appreciate it so much more! Also a dishwasher has lots of problems so theres that

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

My boyfriend and I are cleaning freaks!! At the end of everyday and some mornings , my boyfriend and I take about 1-2 hours to clean around the house. I know not everyone is a clean freak but personally I think having a clean space gives me a way better head space. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com  I am the same way , I think it is easier to go ahead and clean any mess rather than leaving it for later. I have never understood that.

ReplyQuote

@carliecannestroiectskin-com I lived in an apartment with 2 other roommates that were the same way. I am NOT their mother and was NOT going to clean up after them. As much as it bothered me, I tried to prove a point to no avail. Eventually it got so bad I moved out.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!