Clear all

Body Changes - Alcohol Consumption

46 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

These Before-and-After Photos Show How Much Your Body Can Change From Drinking Less Alcohol

The difference is remarkable.

Seven years ago, a Swedish Instagram influencer who goes by "Jelly Devote" went out drinking with her friends at least three times a week, suffering hangovers just as often. "I don’t know how much I drank—just that it was a lot," she says of her affinity for beer and hard cider.

Now 27, Jelly has reduced her alcohol intake to a glass or two of wine or Champagne every other week, and the effects have been dramatic, according to a recent photo she posted to Instagram comparing her appearance before and after scaling back. The side-by-side images received more than 13,500 likes (thousands more than her typical posts) in a matter of days:

This content is imported from Instagram. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

In the caption, she credits her newly balanced lifestyle, the polar opposite of her old ways: Jelly was largely sedentary. She fueled her body with processed foods like fries, chips, meats drenched in fatty sauces, and soda—"not a single vegetable," she says. "All I did was party and stay on the sofa."

This content is imported from {embed-name}. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

When she was 21, an unflattering bikini photo led her to consider exercising. Around the same time, her grandmother, who'd long spoiled her with sweets, made mention of her weight gain.

"That was the moment I decided things needed to change," says Jelly, who began working out at home regularly shortly after. Encouraged by her initial weight loss in the first few weeks, she then zeroed in on her excessive alcohol intake: "It's simply impossible to have a healthy body and mind with that much consumption of alcohol," she says.

In addition to swapping booze for water—"I'm always drinking water!" she says—Jelly tweaked the rest of her diet, too, shifting away from three large meals per day to five or six small ones composed of green veggies, healthy fats, and protein. She leaves room for treats like the occasional donut. After four months, she'd lost roughly 30 pounds.

This content is imported from Instagram. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site.

Although she's had some setbacks, like a back injury that threatened her motivation to exercise several years ago, she's always rebounded with newfound resolve. "When I drag myself back to the gym, I fall in love with fitness all over again and enjoy it more than ever," says Jelly, who's learned to put more stock in her mindset than her weight, which she no longer tracks. "Most importantly, I've gone from hating myself to loving myself," she wrote on Instagram.

Although the influencer, who has 572,000 followers, now spends most of her time traveling, she continues to drink in moderation. "I have balance," she wrote on Instagram. She also works out when she can, typically five times a week in her hotel room, using a portable resistance band or her backpack as a weight. To stay active, she pursues adventures like hiking. "There are so many changes in how I look, how I feel, and how I live my life," she wrote. "I've never felt better."

(@noracrainiectskin-com)

I have seen alcohol and drugs ruin many peoples lives around me. From family to friends, it destroys lives if not careful. When I used to waitress and bartend, it was routine to go out drinking after work with coworkers. Since I have left the restaurant industry and had a child, I notice a huge difference in myself now that I only have some wine with dinner here and there. I feel better physically and mentally, I have better relationships with people and I do more with my life now that i'm not hungover and sleeping in everyday. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Heavy alcohol consumption takes a toll physically and mentally on the body. I knew a lady that looked like she was in her 80's. She was so frail, and her mind was shot. Come to find out she was 58. I do not drink anymore as I find I have a better time not drinking and no hangovers.

I hear people say that oh I just drink beer so its not that bad but it is still alcohol and too much of it can and will hurt you

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I have never been much of a drinker I don't like the taste of alcohol which I guess works in my favor because I am young still and I am not tempted to drink. I have a few heavy drinkers in my family one of them being deceased, I have seen first hand what alcohol can do to someone mentally and physically especially if used as an anti depressant. Same thing with drugs, I have had one family member die at 25 of a fatal drug overdose and I have another who is a recovering addict both of them ruined relationships with family and were down a bad path because of drugs. Its not worth it. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Both of you are correct that heavy alcohol consumption can have a terrible consequence o a family both healthwise and a family mentally. There are differences in how the body reacts to alcohol in men and women. Woman's health is usually more affected by alcohol abuse because they develop faster.

Men have a higher concentration of an enzyme that breaks down the alcohol.

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com

When I stopped working at the whiskey bar in Colorado I noticed a difference in my skin within a week of not drinking an insane amount of whiskey daily. The cheeks were less red, eyes less bloodshot, and my skin wasn't flaking anymore because I was finally hydrated.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com)

When I worked for carnival cruise lines we were in the crew bar every night because there was nothing else for us to do, but after three years of that I was exhausted. It was fun, but feeling hung over so often was awful. When I stopped drinking I lost weight and my face was a lot less puffy. Once I got pregnant with my son I had no desire for it at all. Even now I dont drink often at all because being hungover and having real adult responsibilities and a baby sucks. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

This is another topic that I completely understand first and second hand. I took notice to my best friend, a male mid-twenties that had a relatively serious alcohol addiction, though he was an athlete most of his life. I tend not to notice regularly when someone is gaining weight, but for him, especially as we went through the beginning of college, it caught my eye every time i saw him. And that's when i noticed it about myself. I have always been relatively slim, which made the growing weight deposits noticeable to me relative to the increase of alcohol intake that was increasing at that point in my life. And they were way harder to get rid of than I was used to. Within the last few years, as my alcohol intake has significantly decreased, I can feel the bloating and heavy feeling of my body if I do ingest any and it's a mentally painful reminder.

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@madisonmendebabiciectskin-com i am one hundred percent with you. I feel like in the adult-life transition, it's just so tiring. I noticed a few differences with my face and body physically when I stopped drinking regularly, but I simply cannot stay awake nor can I battle through a hangover like college me could. It's a literal nightmare. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

As a server , every night after work all of my coworkers would beg and beg everyone to come out with them to this local bar. EVERY single shift the were going out to drink after no matter what, if they had a good time it was a reason to celebrate , if it was a bad night they " needed a drink." Its a vicious cycle , and a toxic work environment. Misery loves company and i will admit i was sucked into it at one point, it was always a good time until you realize everyone around you cant have fun or blow off some steam without alcohol. When i moved positions i then had a different shift, i now work 9-5 and dont typically see those same people, nor have time or the desire to go out. I have seen a difference in my skin and my energy without regular alcohol intake.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

@francescablackiectskin-com Ill admit i had a fake ID at 16, i went out every weekend and had a good time. Now at 22 i can not keep up with the younger me. I am exhausted at 11pm and hangovers are no joke. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com 

I agree with you. Ive never been much of a drinker due to my age and the disinterest I had in it, but also because of what I saw it do to other people in my family. A person in my immediate family struggled with it. Multiple wrecked cars later and unfortunately a few years ago after leaving a bar, she passed away after driving her boyfriend home, she fell asleep behind the wheel. A lot of alcoholics influenced the family members I saw go through alcohol issues, and once it became a habit to go out every night and get drunk it was hard to stop. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I used to drink heavily back some years ago because I worked in the restaurant business and it was a party lifestyle. I can say that since I would drink 4-5 times a week I would eat only fast food for the most part and I felt horrible! It defs takes a toll on your body and you can feel the changes once you stop drinking so much. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

Yes I can understand that too. The combination of alcohol and a fast food diet really can add on the pounds before you know it. Alcohol is hard substance to give up for some people. They can fight with this their whole lives

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Yeah I also know people who just refuse to give it up. 

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

Alcohol consumption can have harsh effects on your body, health and appearance. I see how driving to much has ruined may peoples lives. I belive that people businesses and jobs that are around the party scene are more life to see the effects of the consumption faster. 

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com To much alcohol will totally hurt you and can ruin your future depending on the behavior after drinking.

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Some of my family member used to suffer from alchol and your can totally see it in their body. They become skinnier all over and look so unhealthy.

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Working at a bar or a night life resturant can definitaly make you want to drink alot. Then you get off work late and just grab mcdonalds and you repeat the day over again. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com Alcohol makes your skin saggy and look old. It makes you skinner and age faster as well.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

I grew up in a small town. I could buy alcohol at 16 and no one carded me. I started going to clubs on the weekend with my friend and we were always served with no questions. It became an every weekend thing and the hangovers were terrible. I continued and eventually I drank all the time. It was the crutch I thought I needed and loved. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

I gained a lot of weight when I drank. I was at my largest when I went to rehab and very unhealthy 

I saw a woman at rehab who I figured was in her late 70"s. Come to find out she was only 55. I was scared and I really thought that could be me

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@camiryndavisiectskin-com 

I had a job when I was in my late 20's that involved a lot of taking people out for dinners with the company I worked for. They would turn into heavy drinking and driving. When I think back it scares me and I'm thankful I stopped that lifestyle

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

Needing a balance as stated in the article is so important when it comes to alcohol consumption, drinking itself or on special occasions is okay, it's when it starts to become a daily habit or wanting more of it is when someone needs to stop. That's amazing she lost 30 pounds by making the switch ? 

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com wow that is so crazy the effects of alcohol on the body

This post was modified 9 months ago by Sydney Hurdle

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com yes cutting down alcohol consumption or stopping all together does wonders for the skin

ReplyQuote
(@daniellesmithiectskin-com)

People really do not realize the effects that come with alcohol not only being mental but physical. Over time alcohol can put on so many pounds like how people say "Freshman 15" from new college students drinking so much they gain pounds. Or your dad having a beer gut from drinking so much beer. Alcholism is an addiction and some people don't even realize it until they stop.

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com Me too, they just become sluggish and dull. Physically and mentally.

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Not that I've experienced it personally but I've watched my friends lose themselves to the party life style and with their diet consistently being fast food and alcohol it affects their mood and changes who they are because they constantly feel exhausted and have no energy to do things unless its drinking and partying. I'm glad you're past that!

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

Although I agree that alcohol may have played a role in her weight, I believe that the combination of her granny's sweets and lack or exercise were also a factor.  When she made the decision to decrease her drinking and adding exercise and a healthy diet to her routine, it makes sense that she would lose the extra weight.  Drinking only water helped too, because she removed all those empty calories we don't normally think about from her diet. 

When I was in my early 20s I partied and drank as much as my peers on the weekends but I also knew that in order to maintain my slender figure I needed to exercise.  I didn't drink sugary drinks like juices or soda and although I had my cheat days on the weekends, throughout the week I ate relatively healthy. I ran and did strength training 5-6 days a week, so that helped me even though I drank almost every weekend.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!