Body Atrophy

20 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Atrophy

Atrophy is never a word you want to hear, let alone used to describe your vagina. It can be added to the list along with 'clammy', 'itchy', and 'fishy'. 
Vaginal atrophy is a very real thing that affects up to 40% of post-menopausal women, and we know first-hand how much of a pain it can be. 
What Is Vaginal Atrophy?
Vaginal atrophy (atrophic vaginitis) is thinning, drying and inflammation of the vaginal walls that can occur when your body has less estrogen. Vaginal atrophy occurs most often after menopause.
And the symptoms are no fun.
We're not talking about a little muscle loss here, we're talking chaotic and life impacting side effects, such as...
  • ▶ vulvar burning and/or itching
  • ▶ vaginal dryness
  • ▶ pain during sex
  • ▶ discharge
  • ▶ spotting/bleeding
What Causes Vaginal Atrophy?
Many women experience changes to their vagina and urinary system that are largely due to lowering estrogen levels associated with menopause. 
Estrogen is a proliferative hormone; it helps maintain thickness and suppleness of tissues. Estrogen is important for keeping the inner tube soft, plump and moist.
Yes, moist. And that, it turns out, is very important. 
Without it, sex is a no-go, say goodbye to your fave jeans, and settle in to a life of chaffed purgatory.
Not only does your vagina take a beating, but the reduce estrogen can also contribute to increased urinary tract infections and urinary incontinence.

(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I feel like women get the short end of the stick because they dont want their period but also dont want to have to go through menopause. I wonder if taking hormones could help with this problem, or if it could at least lessen the symptoms. UTIs are not fun at all and to have the chance of having them often sounds like torture to me. 

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I also feel like if you have urinary inconvenience along with all those other problems for me at least I would always ask myself "why me". I wonder if there are like certain lubricaions to help with the dryness or if that would help with sex or because you already are inflammed if that could make the problem worse and cause you more pain.  

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

Being a woman talking about our vagina is a very touchy subject. In that area of our body we have to constantly research products, regularly visit the doctor and be aware of everything like clothes, food, exercise. As we grow and develop that area of the body is constantly changing. I feel bad for women dealing with this sometimes it seems like its always something we need to be aware of.

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com Women definetly get the short end of the stick. Any and everything can affect out vaginas. I can agree periods such but having a uti feels like your world is coming to an end.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com Women definetly get the short end of the stick because if it isn't dealing with our period and all the side effects that come with that for years it's going through menopause and all those side effects. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

Surely there must be a treatment to help women who are going through this. It just seems so unfair that women are always dealing with something hormonal their whole lives! 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Women truly do go through so many bodily phases in their lifetime, if it's not one change it's the next. I wonder if hormone therapy can help the effects of Vaginal Atrophy. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

This can quite literally affect the smallest things in your everyday life down to what you're wearing, not to mention the physical discomfort. Being a woman comes with so many "if ands or buts ."  

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I completely agree- As a woman, there are so many expectations with our bodies. And as soon as something is not working the way it should, we are the ones that get blamed becauses it's our fault.

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Having to deal with that after menapuas sucks. Everyones body is diffrerent and we all go through diiferent things even though we all have the same body parts.

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com i feel that women dont get a break from anything! Its sot ough and hard on some people.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com Usually just letting it be is the best way to help the pain and irratation.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Women go through so much when it comes to our bodies. Starting our menstrual cycle, giving birth, menopause, etc. I have never heard of vaginal atrophy and now I can add that to the list of things women may endure when becoming older. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com if there is not a treatment now, hopefully there is one in the future.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

After a life time of periods and the trouble of having to go through menopause, you would think women could catch a break from our own reproductive system, but it seems like that isn't the case. Those symptoms sound awful and I would never wish for anyone to go through that. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I had never heard of vaginal atrophy either, and I feel like this is something that should be more widely known if it's a possibility any woman may have to face in her later years.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com That is an interesting idea, I think if there hasn't already been research, they should research whether or not hormone therapy would help with this.

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

It's unfortunate that this condition exists because women already have to go through so much pre-menopause, and have to suffer more after menopause. Vaginal atrophy sounds extremely painful and there should be more resources available to treat or maybe even help prevent this condition. 

ReplyQuote
(@oliviarossiectskin-com)

@camiryndavisiectskin-com It definitely seems that we are constantly having to figure out our bodies because it is too "touchy" of a subject to be taught. There are so many conditions that can occur simply from the presence of a vagina.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!