Clear all

Plastic Surgery

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Instagram, which launched as the decade was just beginning, in October, 2010, has its own aesthetic language: the ideal image is always the one that instantly pops on a phone screen. The aesthetic is also marked by a familiar human aspiration, previously best documented in wedding photography, toward a generic sameness. Accounts such as https://www.instagram.com/insta_repeat/" }">Insta Repeat illustrate the platform’s monotony by posting grids of indistinguishable photos posted by different users—a person in a yellow raincoat standing at the base of a waterfall, or a hand holding up a bright fall leaf. Some things just perform well.

The human body is an unusual sort of Instagram subject: it can be adjusted, with the right kind of effort, to perform better and better over time. Art directors at magazines have long https://jezebel.com/heres-our-winner-redbook-shatters-our-faith-in-well-n-278919" }">edited photos of celebrities to better match unrealistic beauty standards; now you can do that to pictures of yourself with just a few taps on your phone. Snapchat, which launched in 2011 and was originally known as a purveyor of disappearing messages, has maintained its user base in large part by providing photo filters, some of which allow you to become intimately familiar with what your face would look like if it were ten-per-cent more conventionally attractive—if it were https://www.allure.com/story/snapchat-dog-filter" }">thinner, or had smoother skin, larger eyes, fuller lips. Instagram has added an array of flattering selfie filters to its Stories feature. FaceTune, which was released in 2013 and promises to help you “wow your friends with every selfie,” enables even more precision. A number of Instagram accounts are dedicated to identifying the tweaks that celebrities make to their features with photo-editing apps. https://www.instagram.com/celebface/" }">Celeb Face, which has more than a million followers, posts photos from the accounts of celebrities, adding arrows to spotlight signs of careless FaceTuning. Follow Celeb Face for a month, and this constant perfecting process begins to seem both mundane and pathological. You get the feeling that these women, or their assistants, alter photos out of a simple defensive reflex, as if FaceTuning your jawline were the Instagram equivalent of checking your eyeliner in the bathroom of the bar.

“I think ninety-five per cent of the most-followed people on Instagram use FaceTune, easily,” Smith told me. “And I would say that ninety-five per cent of these people have also had some sort of cosmetic procedure. You can see things getting trendy—like, everyone’s getting brow lifts via Botox now. Kylie Jenner didn’t used to have that sort of space around her eyelids, but now she does.”

Twenty years ago, plastic surgery was a fairly dramatic intervention: expensive, invasive, permanent, and, often, risky. But, in 2002, the Food and Drug Administration approved Botox for use in preventing wrinkles; a few years later, it approved hyaluronic-acid fillers, such as Juvéderm and Restylane, which at first filled in fine lines and wrinkles and now can be used to restructure jawlines, noses, and cheeks. These procedures last for six months to a year and aren’t nearly as expensive as surgery. (The average price per syringe of filler is https://www.plasticsurgery.org/cosmetic-procedures/dermal-fillers/cost" }">six hundred and eighty-three dollars.) You can go get Botox and then head right back to the office.

A class of celebrity plastic surgeons has emerged on Instagram, posting time-lapse videos of injection procedures and before-and-after photos, which receive hundreds of thousands of views and likes. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, Americans received more than seven million neurotoxin injections in 2018, and more than two and a half million filler injections. That year, Americans spent $16.5 billion on cosmetic surgery; ninety-two per cent of these procedures were https://www.plasticsurgery.org/documents/News/Statistics/2018/plastic-surgery-statistics-full-report-2018.pdf" }">performed on women. Thanks to injectables, cosmetic procedures are no longer just for people who want huge changes, or who are deep in battle with the aging process—they’re for millennials, or even, in rarefied cases, members of Gen Z. Kylie Jenner, who was born in 1997, spoke on her reality-TV show “Life of Kylie” about wanting to get lip fillers after a boy commented on her small lips when she was fifteen.

Ideals of female beauty that can only be met through painful processes of physical manipulation have always been with us, from tiny feet in imperial China to wasp waists in nineteenth-century Europe. But contemporary systems of continual visual self-broadcasting—reality TV, social media—have created new disciplines of continual visual self-improvement. Social media has supercharged the propensity to regard one’s personal identity as a potential source of profit—and, especially for young women, to regard one’s body this way, too. In October, Instagram https://www.thecut.com/2019/10/instagram-is-banning-plastic-surgeryeffect-filters.html" }">announced that it would be removing “all effects associated with plastic surgery” from its filter arsenal, but this appears to mean all effects explicitly associated with plastic surgery, such as the ones called “Plastica” and “Fix Me.” Filters that give you Instagram Face will remain. For those born with assets—natural assets, capital assets, or both—it can seem sensible, even automatic, to think of your body the way that a McKinsey consultant would think about a corporation: identify underperforming sectors and remake them, discard whatever doesn’t increase profits and reorient the business toward whatever does.

Smith first started noticing the encroachment of Instagram Face about five years ago, “when the lip fillers started,” he said. “I’d do someone’s makeup and notice that there were no wrinkles in the lips at all. Every lipstick would go on so smooth.” It has made his job easier, he noted, archly. “My job used to be to make people look like that, but now people come to me already looking like that, because they’re surgically enhanced. It’s great. We used to have to contour you to give you those cheeks, but now you just went out and got them.”

There was something strange, I said, about the racial aspect of Instagram Face—it was as if the algorithmic tendency to flatten everything into a composite of greatest hits had resulted in a beauty ideal that favored white women capable of manufacturing a look of rootless exoticism. “Absolutely,” Smith said. “We’re talking an overly tan skin tone, a South Asian influence with the brows and eye shape, an African-American influence with the lips, a Caucasian influence with the nose, a cheek structure that is predominantly Native American and Middle Eastern.” Did Smith think that Instagram Face was actually making people look better? He did. “People are absolutely getting prettier,” he said. “The world is so visual right now, and it’s only getting more visual, and people want to upgrade the way they relate to it.”

This was an optimistic way of looking at the situation. I told Smith that I couldn’t shake the feeling that technology is rewriting our bodies to correspond to its own interests—rearranging our faces according to whatever increases engagement and likes. “Don’t you think it’s scary to imagine people doing this forever?” I asked.

“Well, yeah, it’s obviously terrifying,” he said.

Beverly Hills is L.A.’s plastic-surgery district. In the sun-scorched isosceles triangle between the palm trees and department stores of Wilshire and the palm trees and boutique eateries of Santa Monica, there’s a doctor, or several, on every block. On a Wednesday afternoon, I parked my rental car in a tiny underground lot, emerged next to a Sprinkles Cupcakes and a bougie psychic’s office, and walked to a consultation appointment I had made with one of the best-known celebrity plastic surgeons, whose before-and-after Instagram videos frequently attract half a million views.

I’d booked the consultation because I was curious about the actual experience of a would-be millennial patient—a fact I had to keep mentioning to my boyfriend, who seemed moderately worried that I would come back looking like a human cat. A few weeks before, I had downloaded Snapchat for the first time and tried out the filters, which were in fact very flattering: they gave me radiant skin, doe lashes, a face shaped like a heart. It wasn’t lost on me that when I put on a lot of makeup I am essentially trying to create a version of this face. And it wasn’t hard for me to understand why millennial women who were born within spitting distance of Instagram Face would want to keep drawing closer to it. In a world where women are rewarded for youth and beauty in a way that they are rewarded for nothing else—and where a strain of mainstream feminism teaches women that self-objectification is progressive, because it’s profitable—cosmetic work might seem like one of the few guaranteed high-yield projects that a woman could undertake.

The plastic surgeon’s office was gorgeous and peaceful, a silvery oasis. A receptionist, humming along to “I Want to Know What Love Is,” handed me intake forms, which asked about stress factors and mental health, among other things. I signed an arbitration agreement. A medical assistant took photos of my face from five different angles. A medical consultant with lush hair and a deeply warm, caring aura came into the room. Careful not to lie, and lightly alarmed by the fact that I didn’t need to, I told her that I’d never gotten fillers or Botox but that I was interested in looking better, and that I wanted to know what experts would advise. She was complimentary, and told me that I shouldn’t get too much done. After a while, she suggested that maybe I would want to pay attention to my chin as I aged, and maybe my cheeks, too—maybe I’d want to lift them a little bit.

Then the celebrity doctor came in, giving off the intensity of a surgeon and the focus of a glassblower. I said to him, too, that I was just interested in looking better, and wanted to know what an expert would recommend. I showed him one of my filtered Snapchat photos. He glanced at it, nodded, and said, “Let me show you what we could do.” He took a photo of my face on his phone and projected it onto a TV screen on the wall. “I like to use FaceTune,” he said, tapping and dragging.

Within a few seconds, my face was shaped to match the Snapchat photo. He took another picture of me, in profile, and FaceTuned the chin again. I had a heart-shaped face, and visible cheekbones. All of this was achievable, he said, with chin filler, cheek filler, and perhaps an ultrasound procedure that would dissolve the fat in the lower half of my cheeks—or we could use Botox to paralyze and shrink my masseter muscles.

I asked the doctor what he told people who came to see him wanting to look like his best-known patients. “People come in with pictures of my most famous clients all the time,” he said. “I say, ‘I can’t turn you into them. I can’t, if you’re Asian, give you a Caucasian face, or I could, but it wouldn’t be right—it wouldn’t look right.’ But if they show me a specific feature they want then I can work with that. I can say, ‘If you want a sharp jaw like that, we can do that.’ But, also, these things are not always right for all people. For you, if you came in asking for a sharp jaw, I would say no—it would make you look masculine.”

“Does it seem like more people my age are coming in for this sort of work?” I asked.

“I think that ten years ago it was seen as anti-cerebral to do this,” he said. “But now it’s empowering to do something that gives you an edge. Which is why young people are coming in. They come in to enhance something, rather than coming in to fix something.”

(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

I think if people are researching their surgeons (not just the ones they see on satisfying insta videos) and understand the risks involved, if it makes you happy to get fillers than you should definitely be able to do that. I think an overlooked industry when it comes to this topic of facetuned celebrities is the actual editors. You can make a lot of money editing photos for clients professionally so they can be less detected than maybe someone doing it themselves with an app. Adobe Photoshop has been popular and reliable for a long time and for good reason, there are lots of online classes you can take that go through the basics of photoshop or more specific things it can achieve. We all know Kylie Jenner isn't facetuning her photos herself, and someone is making a lot of money doing it for her.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

The internet can be such a damaging and scary place. It is so easy to look at these celebs on instagram and envy what they look like because everything looks perfect. Their skin, the pose, the body shape, all of it. And then you compare yourself and wonder why you don't look like that and how can you achieve the same look? Most every photo on social media has been edited to make someone look flawless but it's unrealistic. I've seen many photos of Kylie Jenner and videos where when she's talking and laughing it looks like she's got more of a rounder face shape and even a double chin. And while doesn't have a double chin at all but in her photos her jawline looks perfect and so sharp...but it's all because of the way the photo was taken and because it was edited. I feel really bad for the younger generation because they all have social media and these are the photos they look at and want to look like. And plastic surgery is the only way to get there but at the end of the day is it worth it? I am all about enhancing things or getting something done you've been self conscious about but to literally change everything about how to look to look more like a celebrity is sad! 

ReplyQuote

@tabethapetersoniectskin-com Absolutely someone is editing their photos for them. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Social media glorifies plastic surgery nowadays. All these plastic surgeries that are being performed have so many risk, but no one really seems to care. People will fly to another country just to get plastic surgery done cheaper. There are so many things that could go wrong during or after the procedure. If you do not do your research and understand the risk you are taking, something could potentially go wrong. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com This is so true. We see so many influencers and people on TV that will go the extra mile just to get something done in another country for cheaper, but will not do the research for it. Then you have to watch them go through the agony and pain of having the procedure done and all the pain medications they have to take just to get through the recovery part of it. Its a huge risk and if your body cant handle how invasive the surgery is then you could possibly die from it. It's a miracle how a lot of them make it through recovery. 

This post was modified 2 years ago by Sydney Missale

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Alot of people think that what you see on instagram or the internet is what you have to look like. Dont get me wrong everyone wants to be beautiful. All these celeberity that look slim and thick in their photo's use face tune. Not everybodys Body comes with a huge butt or boobs. If your willing to go out and spend all that money to change something on your body go ahead. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com Flying to another country to get cheaper plastic surgrey done is a huge risk. It could be unsanitary and cause infections. They could not know what their doing and mess up your body. 

ReplyQuote

@tabethapetersoniectskin-com Having a job editing photos for a celebrity  would be awesome. I didn't know that. 

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com I follow a lady from the show 90 Day Fiance and her and her twin sister have been flying to another country getting plastic surgery work done and they look horrible. It's really sad to see that they keep flying back for more surgery when the doctor is clearly butchering their body and way overfilling their faces. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Ive seen a few clips on social media with multiple people flying to a different country to have surgery because its cheaper, and it looks awful and they keep going back for more. I have always wanted to get a few things done to myself, but never have. I know deep in my heart, that plastic surgery can become addicting and thats why some people never stop, and i do not want to end up like that. There are ways to transform your body and looks and stay healthy and not look awful when im older. Plus, if it comes down to it, i would wait until im well aged and then chose to get something done.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!