Personality Types

29 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
WORK

There are 8 types of ‘difficult’ people—and the ‘passive-aggressive’ is the worst of all, says Harvard expert

Published Tue, Oct 25 202210:14 AM EDTUpdated 3 Hours Ago

Illustration: Ash Lamb for CNBC Make It

Having to work with frustrating people is simply part of life. You can’t escape them. But you also don’t have to grin and bear the stress as if you have no choice.

While researching for my new book, “Getting Along,” I identified eight types of difficult people. The first step to effectively handling these frustrating colleagues is to know exactly what kind of person you’re dealing with.

The 8 types of difficult people

1. The Passive-Aggressive is the worst on this list because they are the most common. They’ll appear to comply with the needs of others, but will then passively resist following through. Or they might use indirect methods to express their thoughts and feelings, so their intentions are never entirely clear.

The Passive-Aggressive

2. The Insecure Boss might be a micromanager who drives you up a wall with incessant nitpicking. Or they might be a paranoid meddler who makes you question your every move. They may even intentionally hurt your career if they perceive you as a threat.

The Insecure Boss

3. The Pessimist constantly points out all the ways something can fail. It sometimes seems like they can never find anything positive to say.

The Pessimist

4. The Victim is a type of pessimist who feels like everyone is out to get them. They don’t take accountability for their actions, and they’ll quickly point their fingers at other people when things go wrong. 

The Victim

5. The Know-It-All is convinced that they’re the smartest person in the room, hogs airtime, and has no qualms about interrupting others. They gleefully inform you of what’s right, even if they’re clearly wrong. 

The Know-It-All

6. The Tormentor is someone who has earned their way to the top, typically making sacrifices along the path — only to mistreat others below them. They might be a senior colleague who you expect to be a mentor, but who ends up making your life miserable instead.

The Tormentor

7. The Biased knowingly or unknowingly commits microaggressions. No matter what they think their intention is with these comments, their behavior is inappropriate and harmful.

The Biased

8. The Political Operator is laser focused on advancing their own career — but at your expense. Of course, engaging in office politics is often unavoidable, but this person is fixated on getting ahead and has a take-no-prisoners approach to doing so.

The Political Operator

How to handle passive-aggressive behavior at work

Passive aggression is one of the most frustrating behaviors I see in offices because it can be so hard to pin down and ultimately fix.

But there are some tips you can use to nudge your colleague to interact with you in a more productive, straightforward way.

1. Don’t label them as “passive-aggressive.”

Don’t label them as “passive-aggressive.”

“Stop being so passive aggressive!” is a loaded phrase that will only make things worse. I’d be shocked if your colleague said, “Yeah, you’re right. I’ll stop.”

It’s more likely that this request would make them even more angry and defensive, which will stop any sort of positive communication in its tracks.

2. Focus on the content, not the delivery.

Focus on the real concern or question hidden behind the snarky comments.

Before reacting to a passive aggressive comment, ask yourself: What is the underlying idea they’re attempting to convey? Do they think that the way you’re running a project isn’t working? Or do they disagree with the team’s goals?

If you can focus on the real concern or question hidden beneath that snarky comment, you can find a way address the actual problem in a way that works for everyone.

3. Figure out what the other person cares about.

Do some “hypothesis testing.”

Of course, you still may not fully understand what your coworker wants. But spend some time thinking about possible explanations. Just like during negotiations, assess the other person’s interests. What do they care about? What do they want to achieve?

Then do what psychology professor Gabrielle Adams calls “hypothesis testing”: Ask — respectfully and without judgment — about what’s going on. You might say, “I’ve noticed that you haven’t been responding to my emails. Is there something wrong?”

4. Call attention to what’s happening.

Call attention to what’s happening.

With this tactic, it’s best to stick to facts — the things you know for sure — without emotion or exaggeration.

For example: “You said you wanted to help with this project and you haven’t joined the three meetings we’ve had so far. You also didn’t respond to the email I sent last week about next steps.”

Then explain how their actions affected you: “I’m disappointed and stressed out because I’m not able to do all of the work myself, and I had hoped to have your help.”

Finally, the tricky part: Make a straightforward request. “If you’re still interested in helping out, and I hope you are, I’d like you to attend the meetings. If not, I need to know so I can find an alternative solution.” 

Amy Gallo is a contributing editor at Harvard Business Review and a co-host of HBR’s Women at Work podcast. She is the author of “Getting Along: How to Work with Anyone (Even Difficult People)” and the “HBR Guide to Dealing With Conflict.” Follow her on Twitter @amyegallo.

Ash Lamb is an illustrator and designer based in Barcelona, Spain. He spends his time deconstructing and illustrating ideas for creative entrepreneurs. He also teaches people from all around the world how to create impactful visuals at visualgrowth.com. Follow Ash on Twitter and Instagram.

(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

Working with people that are passive aggresive is hard. People that have some of these issues cant be helped or if you try to help they will get mad.

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

I also see and know alot of people that are pessimist.

ReplyQuote
(@michaelagrayiectskin-com)

I believe working with individuals with more complex personalities could be difficult but it is our job to still provide excellent service and ensure they are benefiting from what we are providing even if it may be hard to connect with them on a more personal level 

ReplyQuote

I personally believe I have a more shy personality when I first come into contact with individuals new to me, I am more likely not to express when I am feeling pain or discomfort because I don' t want to make them feel bad . But this is why it is important for us as estheticians to ask the client how they are feeling and let them know that it is okay to express any concerns they may have because we are trained to specialize each treatment we provide to them. 

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com I definitely agree that it may be difficult especially if it is something that can not be fixed right away or they may have to come in for more session, however I believe this is why it is important for us to explain and educate the client on why the skin may need a little more TLC and allow them to go home and think on what we have recommended, a lot of times they will come around

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com Yes I do as well, it can make us as the esthetician feel like we are unsure about what we are doing, but once again I feel like we have to be confident in our ability to provide the service and educate the customer so that they are aware of the treatment options we are providing and recommending , assure them to trust the process and our judgement

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I know when I am above someone I can have a bit of the insecure boss type, simply because I get too anxious that everything is going to go wrong and I need to do everything myself. I need to learn how to relinquish control and let things happen. I can also have a hard time telling someone they're doing something wrong when it negatively affects me, which seems contradictory, but it just shows how diligent we estheticians need to be when working on a patient and asking about their comfort level. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@michaelagrayiectskin-com Exactly, it just comes to show how diligent we estheticians need to be in educating our clients on how their skin needs to be treated and how quickly it will improve.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@michaelagrayiectskin-com Exactly, no matter what kind of person they are, they're paying us for a service therefore we should perform it to the best of our abilities. This can make it difficult to be in our profession but it is not unlike many others.

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I cannot stand working with a know it all. I tried to train a lady and she had never worked in dermatology before only an urgent care and she thought she knew everything and wouldn't listen when I tried to train her properly. She still doesn't know how to chart properly and its been 3 years. I stopped trying to fix her mistakes. 

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com I've worked with people who only talk about politics and shame others for not having their exact views. They also divided the work place in regards who they talk to because they dont think the others have the same views as them.

ReplyQuote

@michaelagrayiectskin-com I feel like they shouldn't stop you from doing your job the best you can. Its some times easier to just brush it off and continue doing your job and minding your business.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

As my mom always said "Kill them with kindness". I have friends that I could categorize within these types of people and sometimes it's really hard to even have a conversation with them. 

ReplyQuote

@michaelagrayiectskin-com I agree with you I am more on the shy side until I feel comfortable with you for me to open up.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I cannot stand working with a know it all either! Especially when you know you're right and they are wrong. You can only help someone but so much then you just give up.

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

Passive aggressive people are the most difficult because their thoughts/feelings are always indirect, & their intentions are never clear.  

ReplyQuote

@cameranriddleiectskin-com Yes, there is never coming to a compromise with a passive aggressive person. They will always have something to hold against you.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

At job I have managers that are passive aggressive and can be known as the victim. I find it very hard to work with them as they are always making comments and when something gets messed up or goes wrong they always point their finger in a different direction. 

ReplyQuote

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com I agree I get very frustrated because I take things the way that they sound. I am better working with people that are very direct and you don't have to play the guessing game

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I hate working with a know- it- all as well. It is hard to give constructive criticism.

ReplyQuote

It's very difficult having to interact with passive aggressive people, our career choices as estheticians we have to be confident in our abilities and let the client know to voice any concerns of discomfort, ensuring them we are specialized to treat any skin type and concern to best accommodate them. 

ReplyQuote

@student I agree with this fully, it lets the client know to voice any concerns

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

Working with difficult people is a part of working in a service industry environment. Being a waitress before I have delt with many customers and coworkers that act passive aggressive and it a difficult behavior to put up with but I really personally just try to ignore them because I am not willing to work with them on that issue because it is very stressful and irritating to me. In my mind being an adult and acting in a passive aggressive way is just silly and childish and I will not put myself in a situation to deal with these people.

ReplyQuote

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com I agree with this statement, being open minded about a clients concerns is important and maybe the client if they are passive aggressive will be more comfortable and less hostile.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com Yes this victim mindset is very common in a workplace environment unfortunatly, their comments are usually negative and discouraging but "killing them with kindness" is what I find to work best.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

I think it's safe to say that most of us have worked with at least one of these personalities at some point.  I don't know if I can agree with the author that the passive-aggressive personality is the worst. Although I'm sure everybody has a different personality they believe is the worst, to me the Biased may be the worst.  The biased one most of the time makes comments in the form of microaggressions not only to you but in front of others as well.  It creates a frustrating work environment because others notice as well and they can see the toxicity in the work place. 

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com It is very frustrating working with a passive aggressive person. The way they appear to comply but then make comments or act a certain way, leaves you wondering why they wouldn't ask a question directly or tell you how they feel.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@student I can understand how you feel.  Sometimes we're so used to doing things ourselves that when we reach a certain place in our career, we find it hard to delegate.  In my military career, when I first became a supervisor, I felt I had so much pressure to ensure my subordinates were excellent that I felt I had to do a little micromanaging.  I felt terrible because I always disliked a micromanager but as the years went by, I realized that I couldn't do everything myself and that sometimes people would make mistakes and that unfortunately, I may have to show face even if I didn't do anything wrong.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!