Clear all

Coronavirus - Family Safety

12 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Should You Be Disinfecting Your Groceries?

It's best to be cautious.

Do You Need to Clean Your Groceries?

The once-routine chore of going to the grocery store and checking off items on your list has become akin to preparing for surgery, now that shoppers are asked to don a mask and disposable gloves and maintain six feet of distance from fellow shoppers. As COVID-19 spreads around the world, so do questions about this novel respiratory disease. Is it safe to shop in a grocery store? Before we answer that, here are four household products that kill coronavirus, according to Consumer Reports.

The days of walking mindlessly into a grocery store without a care in the world have long since passed. Instead, cashiers and grocery store employees are lauded as heroes, on the front lines of defense. During the COVID-19 pandemic, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) recommends staying home except for essential trips to limit the chances of transmission. Other experts agree and suggest ordering food online. “I’ve heard there are wait times, but if you can use that option it would definitely be better than going out,” Dr. Joshua Petrie, an assistant research professor of epidemiology at the University of Michigan’s School of Public Health, tells TIME. Sanitizing your shopping cart, avoid touching your face, and bringing disposable gloves at checkout are just a few ways you can shop safely, according to experts and Consumer Reports. Plus, wash your hands immediately after touching these 10 things.

People 65 or over might be advised to avoid the grocery store altogether. “For older people and those with underlying health conditions — the group that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends staying home — I would highly recommend using a grocery delivery service,” says Jim Rogers, the director of food safety and research testing at Consumer Reports. Here are 5 ways to save more when buying in bulk.

How Safe Are Your Groceries?

Sometimes, ordering online may not cut it and you have to brave the grocery store. There’s no evidence of food or food packaging being associated with the transmission of COVID-19, according to the Food and Drug Administration (FDA).  Instead, the FDA says “cleaning and sanitizing the surfaces is a better use of resources than testing to see if the virus is present.” Here’s how to make your household cleaners (and other household items) last longer.

Still, there’s no harm in being cautious and cleaning your groceries, right? You can use disinfectant wipes on glass or cans. Clean all the surfaces you have touched, and always wash your hands. Here’s how to wash your hands the right way.

(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

THis is a duplicate post

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@lindseycoganiectskin-com

I fixed the question so you should not see 2 of the same articles

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I fixed the question so you should not see 2 of the same articles

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did wipe down my groceries when the pandemic first started. No one seemed to really know if it was necessary but it was recommended to do it. I do use Citris ll on all my counters and sink after cleaning. My neighbor who has a compromised immune system uses a grocery service to just pick them up. She still wipes all items down before bringing them into the house

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I did wipe down my groceries when the pandemic first started. No one seemed to really know if it was necessary but it was recommended to do it. I do use Citris ll on all my counters and sink after cleaning. My neighbor who has a compromised immune system uses a grocery service to just pick them up. She still wipes all items down before bringing them into the house

ReplyQuote
(@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com)

During COVID-19 I was working at foodlion, we were required to disinfect as much as we could, the backroom we used to bag groceries was kept clean at all costs. I don't think it would have been a bad idea to disinfect grocery bags since it was so contagious. It's better to be safe than sorry. 

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I did research on the Citrus ll germicidal cleaning products and i'm intrigued. A full strength ready-to-use formula with no dilution. Sounds like a good product to use!

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I like how it's a non-acid cleaner that won't cause skin irritation.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com The CDC may have downgraded the "pandemic" title but covid is still real and it's still around.  There are still people whom are getting sick and spreading germs, so disinfecting groceries may still be needed.  I used to always wash up fruits and vegetables because I know that there are people who touch them to feel the texture and they may not have washed their hands.  The same with other groceries.  Even if customers haven't touched them, you never know if the person stocking the aisle washed their hands.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com There was so much disinfecting in grocery stores and pretty much anywhere because nobody really knew how infectious covid was.  I believe they should continue to disinfect the same way to avoid spread of any illnesses.  I know that a lot of people kept saying "nobody gets a cold anymore" to me it was obvious that people hardly got sick with a cold because we were cleaning more, sanitizing hands and surfaces and wearing masks.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@sydneyhurdleiectskin-com Sounds like a great product.  I never heard of it before I started school here but I may need to purchase some after all.  I disinfect my kitchen counters every day and I'm always looking for alternatives to bleach, which can be so bad for your health.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!