7 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Young People Are Going to Save Us All From Office Life

Claire Cain Miller and Sanam Yar

The New York TimesSeptember 21, 2019

When Ariel Coleman, 28, quit her last job, as a project manager in the corporate office of a bank, it wasn’t because her new employer offered her a raise, a different role or more seniority. “The work-life balance is just much better,” she said.

At her new company, Omfgco, a branding and design firm in Portland, Oregon, everyone works from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays at whichever hours they choose. Coleman can go for a run or walk her dog.

At the bank, she said, people judged her for taking all her paid time off. At Omfgco, it’s encouraged, which is why she didn’t mind answering work emails while sitting by the fire on a recent camping trip.

“It’s: Get your work done, but don’t worry about when those hours are,” Coleman said. “A client calls me at 8 o’clock at night, and I’m happy to talk to them, because that means the next day at 10 a.m., I can take my dog to the vet. It enables me to make my career more seamless with my life. It makes it feel more like people are human.”

Many of her friends have chosen their jobs for similar reasons, she said. “That’s how millennials and Gen Z-ers are playing the game — it’s not about jumping up titles, but moving into better work environments,” she said. “They’re like silent fighters, rewriting policy under the nose of the boomers.”

For many Americans, work has become an obsession, and long hours and endless striving something to aspire to. It has caused burnout, unhappiness and gender inequity, as people struggle to find time for children or passions or pets or any sort of life besides what they do for a paycheck.

But increasingly, younger workers are pushing back. More of them expect and demand flexibility — paid leave for a new baby, say, and generous vacation time, along with daily things, like the ability to work remotely, come in late or leave early, or make time for exercise or meditation. The rest of their lives happens on their phones, not tied to a certain place or time — why should work be any different?

Today’s young workers have been called lazy and entitled. Could they, instead, be among the first to understand the proper role of work in life — and end up remaking work for everyone else?

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

The article makes a good point for workers who can complete their job tasks from home or off site. Flexibility is important when there is a need for a doctor appointment, vet appointment, or something that needs immediate attention during the week. 

One of my past jobs was displaying books ate K Mart and Rite Aid for the Hampton Roads area and also a few towns in rural NC. That's a large piece of ground to cover.

As long as I hit all my stores for that week I could work and finish in 3-4 days. That gave me days to do necessary appointments or enjoy a hobby. 

I would not say to demand it is an expectation in some job areas. Workers in some fields must be present to complete what is expected of them and if they do not or can't realize that they should not take that job.

If it is working with the public and they do not have a good attitude and rapport with people then that job is not for them. In our field that is evident with some workers. 

I often see too many workers standing around and checking the phone or talking to other co workers when they should be doing the job they were hired to do. 

This post was modified 5 years ago 2 times by deborah

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

I'm not in disagreement with this idea to manage your time in general. If someone wants to focus their entire life at work, it usually comes at a price. The price paid for never being home is missed time with your family, friends, pets, and yourself. I really support people who can, or choose to make this choice. If, I was able to financially not have to work 40 plus hours per week, i would much rather spend that time with my family and friends. Real change happens when your engaged in building relationships and not  putting values in things that can be bought. If someone decides to stay home, or work less, that may not be because their lazy, maybe it's for the same reasons I would.

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I think this is great. Not everyone is meant to work in an office all day and people should have longer vacations to keep themselves from getting burnt out. In France if you work full time their workers are entitled to an extra 23 days off on top of the standard 27  days of paid vacation which adds up to 10 weeks. Some people might think that that's being lazy but if they wanna work 40 plus hours a week a year with only 1 week of vacation which doesn't include sick days then they can go right ahead. There's more to life than work and also when you can work from home you can sit anyway you want or stand while you are working and take breaks in between which is better for our bodies. I think this is ideal for working parents because they can stay at home and look after their kids with this kind of flexibility.

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

This is really interesting for jobs can that be performed this way from home, I know office life isn't for everyone but working from home may not be for everyone either. I listened to a speaker once who works in social media and she said it can be hard to manage working always from home because it can cause her to over work since she's always technically at work. I think if you work from home you should set yourself scheduled times to avoid overworking as well or this can go from giving yourself more flexibility to working more than you would at the office.

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

I think this is great.  Other than some Asian countries Americans work more and take less vacation than most other rich countries.  When you factor in something such as commute times in large cities for workers, it makes since for them to stay home and get something done instead of burning gas on the interstate for several hours a day.  I think this trend will continue to grow in the future and benefit both employees and their employers and create a happier work environment, and hopefully allow people to balance their careers and personal time a little better

ReplyQuote
(@keenanhooksiectskin-com)

working wherever you want and not having to be tied down to a office or specific location would be the dream for me, i would love to be able to travel the world and explore while im young and also to work from my laptop while on vacation i would love that. also being able to work from home or in your environment of choice would be healthy you wouldnt have to sit at a boring old desk/cubical you wont have to interact with people you dont want to. you can spend your time how you want where you want  

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I'm glad people are starting to realize this about jobs. I used to work almost 50 hours a week for about 2 years, no weekends off, a different schedule every week, it and it made my life very stressful. I had went to the doctor and she said all my health issues was because my job and over working, she wrote me a doctors note saying I couldn't work any over time because my manger wouldn't cut my hours. It really makes it hard to live a healthy life when you work like that. I find it so so to exercise or eat healthy because I have no routine so personally I'm not able to work out, plus I'm so tired I don't want to and when you're working time 9pm it's a million times easier to just stop and get fast food rather then cook when you have to work at 9am. 

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!