0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

5 Things That Happen To Your Body When You Stop Showering — VIDEO

Updated: 

Nov 27, 2019

Karl Tapales/Moment/Getty Images

We all know that bathing is important, but just how important? What happens to your body if you don't bathe? Today in the United States, people probably bathe a lot more regularly than they used to — people in Medieval Europe, for instance, don't seem to have been too fond of it at all — but people throughout history have had various ways of keeping clean. Which makes sense, because apparently if you go too long without bathing, some pretty gross stuff starts to happen — not to mention that your chance of catching some disease or other starts to climb. Turns out that getting smelly is just the beginning of your worries.

"For the average person, showering once every day or once every two days is ideal," Dr. Aimee Paik, the medical director for Apostrophe.com, an online dermatology service, tells Bustle. "The exact frequency will depend on your activity level. Showering more often than once daily can dry out your skin leaving it vulnerable to irritation and eczema." Showering less than that can lead to not just being smelly, but an "overgrowth of yeast forms" or dead skin build-up. Yikes!

Still, it's worth keeping those facts and figures in mind while acknowledging what works best for your body. According to some experts, Americans might be a little over-enthusiastic about bathing, probably because advertisers want us to think we have to shower — and thus use their products — every day.

On the other end of the spectrum, though, is the possibility of cutting out baths and showers altogether. A video from HuffPost can help bring to life what that actually looks like. So if you've ever wondered what would happen if you stopped showering for something like a month, fortunately you don't have to experience it to find out. Instead, here are some lessons learned from the HuffPost video. Scroll down to watch the whole thing.

1. Germs, Germs, Germs

A person with germs on their face after not showering

Screenshot via YouTube

Your body typically has a lot of bacteria on your skin, most of which are actually good for you. This is called your skin microbiome, and like your gut microbiome, the balance of good and bad bacteria helps your body carry out essential functions. Some of them provide useful roles for your skin, and even the otherwise "useless" ones take up space that harmful bacteria might have occupied instead, effectively crowding out the bad germs. But harmful bacteria can still wind up on your skin, and when you don't wash, you increase the chances that those harmful germs will get into your body through your eyes, nose, or mouth — and then get you sick.

2. Skin Infections

A person with animated skin infections, just one of the things that can happen to your body when you stop showering

Screenshot via YouTube

In addition to possibly getting sick, some types of bacteria and fungi can cause skin infections, too, especially if you don't periodically wash them away. Staphylococcus bacteria is one that commonly lives on the body, and according to Mayo Clinic, it usually causes no issues. A staph infection can result, though, if the bacteria is able to enter deeper into your system via a cut or other opening, and that can be dangerous.

3. General Dirtiness

A person with animated dirt illustrations. General dirtiness is one effect of not showering

Screenshot via YouTube

Have you ever watched Peanuts cartoons and went "same" to PigPen's character? His personal dust storm is a bit of an exaggeration, but by not washing off dirt, sweat, dead skin, or oil by showering, you might find yourself with more acne than before, not to mention looking a little less well-kempt.

4. Dermatitis Neglecta

A person with animated illustrations of the skin condition dermatitis neglecta, which can happen if you stop showering for a long time

Screenshot via YouTube

Go without washing for long enough and you'll wind up with brown scaly patches on your skin, a condition dermatologists call dermatitis neglecta. The condition is caused, again, by build-up of dead skin, sweat, keratin, and oils that your body naturally produces (and that would otherwise be washed away in the shower).

5. Body Odor

A person with animated depictions of body odor. Body odor is one of the quickest effects of not showering

Screenshot via YouTube

Body odor is caused when bacteria break down the chemical compounds in sweat and release smelly byproducts. If you don't wash off the sweat (and some of the bacteria), the two compounds will just keep interacting with each other and getting worse over time.

You can watch the full video — and learn some of the dangers of over-bathing as well — below.

HuffPost on YouTube

Studies cited:

Saha, A., Seth, J., Sharma, A., & Biswas, D. (2015). Dermatitis neglecta -- a dirty dermatosis: report of three cases. Indian journal of dermatology, 60(2), 185–187.

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

It is interesting to me that a staph bacteria that lives on the body can cause you to be sick even when there is no cit or skin damage for it to enter.

I also did not know there was an actual term for a condition where a person does not wash themselves. This sounds like there are cases of this that occur when seeing a Dr. 

Years ago I was a cashier at a supermarket. Every week there was a woman who would come to shop and we could smell her through the whole store (not exaggerating). Most often I would be the cashier for her. I would have to hold my breath to check her out and the odor lingered for about 20 minutes after she left

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

Knowing what effects not washing properly has on the skin it makes more sense why doctors have reported seeing these problems in people who are morbidly obese and cannot wash under the folds as well. If open skin can be such a breeding ground for these conditions I can only imagine the severity of not washing and it being a fold where things like sweat will seep into and stay there. I have seen people that have ended up with holes in their skin fold from not taking proper care or not being able to reach.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I can definitely say that during the winter if I shower too much it dries out my skin. Your body makes it's own oil to help moisturize the skin and hair so constantly stripping causes dry skin and hair. I think that everyone has their limit on how long they can go without a shower. If I'm not active enough during the winter months I will go a few days in between but in the summer months when I sweat more I like to shower everyday. Body odor freaks me out and nothing grosses me out more than seeing someone who have greasy hair and dirty skin! Hygiene is important for sure. 

ReplyQuote

@deborah I remember our last flight to Florida there was someone on it who smelled HORRIBLE and they were sitting behind us! All I could smell was body odor the whole time. I don't understand how people can't smell themselves!? If I can smell you then you should also be able to smell yourself. It wasn't the best flight I've ever been on lol 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

Soe people can develop fungal infections and sore on the body especially where there are creases and folds of the skin. And the body builds up bacteria and can also cause bacterial infections

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

I have a family member who doesnt believe in using soap for whatever reason (more natural, holistic??), he does thankfully actually take a shower with hot water but I dont know I feel like soap is a very important part of making sure you are actually cleansing your body. I just cant imagine not using soap. 

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Maybe that's what was going on with him but whatever it was it was not pleasant to smell on a plane ride for 3 hours! 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Personal hygiene is super important to me. I cant stand having greasy hair or feeling oily. I have been trying to train my hair to go longer periods of time without washing it just because i know its damaging and i have bleached hair so it helps with keeping the color, but it has been a struggle. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

When I was in dance in highschool , there was a girl on my team who became obsessed with smelling good . We practiced outside, and every time we stopped in between sets, she'd run to the side line to put on deodorant and perfume. It got to the point that her skin would be raw from putting on so much perfume and deodorant on , and no one could stand to be beside her because she had so much on it would give you a headache. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Personal hygiene is IMPORTANT. You don't need strong scented soaps and a ton of perfume or cologne on to have good hygiene. All you need is a mild soap and deodorant and you are good to go.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

As fungal infections can grown on the skin and bacteria it really is important to practice good hygiene. I hate the sweaty feeling after a normal day so I shower as soon as I get home. I moisturize also and it makes me feel better. I smell peoples hair sometimes when they are on the facial bed and Im glad to be wearing a mask even before COVID

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com 

We talked about this subject in class and concurred that everyone should bathe and use soap. It is a shame that he does not see this.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

Hygiene is so incredibly important. Besides affecting your physical health, it can also affect your interpersonal relationships. If you are unhygienic, jobs will reject you and so will other people, because usually no one wants to socialize with someone who smells or looks bad. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com absolutely, though many people enjoy using scented items it is not required. Basic hygiene starts with a mild soap and deodorant.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com The time of the year drastically affects my shower habits as well. During the winter I will go every other day showering when I am not actively working out. Because of my new gym habits, I tend to shower daily no matter what time of year.

ReplyQuote
(@camrynauxtiectskin-com)

I recently just cut back on showering twice every day because ever since we moved and have well water, it dries my hair and skin out so much. I try to only wash my hair two to three times a week and my body daily. I can't stand smelling bad or just even feeling slightly dirty, especially when going to bed

ReplyQuote

@nicoleweberiectskin-com Yes! I agree. During the summer I shower a lot more due to sweat, salt water/sand, etc. But my skin is also so much more hydrated and less likely to dry out as easily as it does in the winter or fall.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I always hated being in the locker rooms because you either had the people that didn't wear hygiene products, or the people that over-used them and it would mix and give me headaches.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

I shower everyday even if I am not washing my hair I still wash my body. You know when you need to shower and for everyone it is different. When I sweat a lot the only thing I think about is when can I take a shower next. 

ReplyQuote

@camrynauxtiectskin-com I agree, the idea of being clean before bed is almost mandatory for me

ReplyQuote

@nicoleweberiectskin-com One of my biggest fears is smelling bad. I go a long lengths to not smell bad.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

I hate feeling the slightest bit dirty and just not smelling clean. When I was younger I would wash my hair everyday and my body 2-3 times a day. As I got older I have cut down to just 1-2 showers a day and I try to wash my hair every 2-3 days. I have also switched over to different body washes with less fragrance because It seemed like that is what made my skin extra dry. 

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I am in the same boat. I am currently trying to train my hair but I hate the feeling of greasy hair even with dry shampoo in it.

ReplyQuote

@camrynauxtiectskin-com I refuse to get in my bed dirty. It makes me feel so gross especially when I've been out running around all day.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

I have always been very on top of my hygiene because of these different reasons and just becayse I love to feel clean and I like crawling into bed and feeling clean

ReplyQuote

@emmamidgettiectskin-com Me too, I cant stand the feeling of sweat, it makes me feel so dirty

ReplyQuote

@student I agree, many people especially in the professional world will turn you away or criticize you for being dirty, appearing dirty, smelly dirty, etc.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

To me it makes sense that not taking showers may make you sick.  I take showers every day. However, it makes me think the opposite when I think about this man that hadn't taken a shower in like 20 years and when tests were given to him, he didn't have as much as a cough.  A group of people got him to shower and he became sick and died within a year or something like that.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com And with reason.  I used to work with a guy who didn't have very good hygiene and he always smelled and the other workers would constantly complain about him.  The problem was that nobody ever wanted to approach him and tell him to shower.  People can be very sensitive about these situations.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!