Clear all

Consultation - Dipping Powder

61 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
https://www.health.com/condition/skin-conditions/dip-powder-manicure-infection%3Futm_source=facebook.com%26utm_medium=social%26utm_campaign=social-share-article%26utm_content=20191119%26utm_term=57567 5">

You might wanna read this before you book your salon appointment. 

By Leah Groth 

November 18, 2019
powder-manicure-fungal-infection
ADOBE STOCK

Dip powder manicures have become increasingly popular over the last few years, but according to one woman who tried the popular manicure technique, they can also be hazardous to your health.

The woman, who chose only to be identified as Bethany, visited a Greensboro, NC salon to get a dip powder manicure on October 17, according to WFMY News 2. While there, she said a nail technician accidentally cut her finger while filing her nails, then dipped her finger into the powder container to complete the process.

"I noticed about a week later I had little spots go up [around a few nails] and tried creams over-the-counter and then soaked them in alcohol and peroxide and it just kept getting worse," she told WFMY News 2.

Eventually, Bethany said her nails started to swell, bleed, and ooze pus. That’s when she went to a doctor, who diagnosed her with a fungal infection.

RELATED: A Bruise on This Woman’s Fingernail Turned Out to Be an Aggressive Form of Skin Cancer

How can you get a fungal infection from a dip powder manicure?

One of the reasons a dip manicure exposes you to a potential fungal infection is because the nail is “roughed up and sandpapered” before placed in the dip, Cheryl Karcher, MD, a New York City-based board-certified dermatologist, practicing both cosmetic and medical dermatology, tells Health.

“The metal piece of equipment they use to sandpaper down your nail can be dangerous if not used properly—if it cuts the skin there’s always going to be a chance for infection,” she says.

According to Karcher, the North Carolina woman’s infection likely stemmed from the cut on her finger. “The original injury was the cut to the skin, not necessarily caused by the dip powder,” she says.

RELATED: What Are Splinter Hemorrhages? Here’s What You Need to Know

Even so, according to WFMY News 2, nail technicians in North Carolina aren’t supposed to dip your entire finger into the powder containers, due to the risk of infection. "Our rules are very clear indicating once a product has come into contact with the client, it has to be thrown away," said Lynda Elliott Executive Director of the NC Board of Cosmetic Art Examiner

Dr. Karcher, however, says that’s not always the case. “I have literally seen all nails dipped in the original container and put back on the shelf,” she says.

Ultimately, however, she maintains that the more important issue for safety is the sandpapering of the nail. “If this touches the skin and/or the cuticle around the nail, an infection is very likely to happen,” she says.

Clearly, there's a risk attached to these self-care techniques, but if you're still set on getting a dip powder manicure, try to bring your own powder and make sure your nail salon sterilizes all of their equipment before use.

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I have read and talked to many nail technicians the past couple of years regarding the dip powders now being used. What is supposed to happen is that a small amount of the powder is to be placed from the original container jar into a clean container just for that client. The client only dips the nail into the powder in the clean jar. This means the remainder of that client's powder should be thrown away. In many cases that is not being done. People are dipping into the original container, then the next person dips into the same etc. If the client's nail or cuticle is damaged before dipping in the jar that poses a huge risk to the client. Buyer beware.

Home use kits are available and maybe they should be given a try

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

Yikes, this is scary but doesn't surprise me. Every time I've gone to a nail salon the girl takes massage cream out of a jar, slathers it on my leg with a spatula and then puts it back in the same jar and uses it on the next person. Are that really follow sanitary measures?

This post was modified 4 years ago by Carlie Cannestro

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

This is so gross, and further confirms why I have elected not to go to get my nails done. I've had an issue with a fungal infection on my toe from having my nails done in nail salon, so this only reassures me to do my own, or really go to a reputable place, and make sure that their using proper aseptic procedures. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@deborah You know I tried the dip powder years ago when I went into a nail salon and she took my nails and dipped them right into the container that contained all the powder! I was pretty young so I didn't think of how unsanitary it was until I got older. But I'm positive it's still happening that way 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

I dont get my nails dipped. but if i did i would make sure they are using clean tools on my nails. My mom gets her nails dipped so next time we go im gonna watch and see how they do it. 

ReplyQuote

@carliecannestroiectskin-com I have also seen this happen at a nail salon. Do they not teach them healthy measures at school?!

ReplyQuote

@angierodrigueziectskin-com I have never gotten an infection before and i sure hope i never do. Im sorry to hear you got one on your toe.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Going to the nail salon can be a big risk. There are so many unsanitary things that are done in the nail salon. Ive gotten a fungal infection when I went to the nail salon and it was not pleasant. Dip powder is just one of many things that are not being serviced in a sanitary way. 

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@cameranriddleiectskin-com I dont get my nails dipped either and I don't plan on it unless they perform this service correctly. 

ReplyQuote

@angierodrigueziectskin-com Yeah and sadly many of these nail salons are not taking the proper disinfection protocols! They are more about getting the client in and getting them out so they can make more money 

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I've gotten dip powder on my nails before. I'm not really a fan because I feel like it damages my nails like acrylic nails do. I like to do regular gel polish because I feel like it lasts a little bit better than the powder. 

ReplyQuote

@carliecannestroiectskin-com I never really think about it while I'm getting my feet done but I think about it after the fact. I make sure to see my nail tech take all the instruments out of the packaging. I have also been going to the same person for 7 years so I trust them. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I didn't think about it much when I was younger and I still don't think about that much. I think the main reason I don't think about it is because I trust my nail guy a lot. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

It is Lauren. I thought I would try it and the lady just dipped my fingers in the same jar as everyone else. I was thinking the whole time I hope I did not get an infection. There are so many dirty workplaces also that I have seen in the past few years. Some do not have a disinfectant to use on implements and it just grosses me out. I do not have pedicures very often as most spas do not clean the whirlpool tubs except with a 409 spray and toilet brush. They use the same porous pumice stones on everyone so they can't be cleaned properly either.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

That seems to be the focus I see as well. I used to look for Barbicide jars actually being used . The dipping powder I liked but not the process of getting it done

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com 

That is good that the implements are in the bags. If you know the person and they are taking precautions you are lucky

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

When i had the dip powder I was going to ask why they were not taking precautions with using a separate but I held back and just had them finish. I do wish now I had asked them

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

The nail salons always seem in such a hurry to get you in and out. I have seen the same poor sanitation and disinfection so I do not go anymore. I do my own nails

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

Its scary how fast you can get a fungal infection from a nail salon. I believe when business starts booming they tend to start lacking with sanitatization. Whenever I go to one I watch everything they do carefully.

ReplyQuote

Its scary how fast you can get a fungal infection from a nail salon. I believe when business starts booming they tend to start lacking with sanitatization. Whenever I go to one I watch everything they do carefully.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I havent tried dip powder either. when it first came out it was very expensive to get done. Plus i have never really had a intrest in it.

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com Yeah I haven never gotten a infection for one but my mom has before from a pedicure lets just say it was a very painful couple months for her

ReplyQuote
(@marlimartiniectskin-com)

When I was in college I used to get dip nails all the time. Ignorance is definitely bliss, because knowing what I know now about aseptic procedures, I would definitely not get these types of nails now. Knowing how some places are so careless with how they care after their things and their clients makes me so nervous. I would definitley not want to risk a fungal infection for a manicure.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Since starting school, I have become a little more choosey with where I go if I go get my nails done professionally. If I treat myself to manicure or pedicure I'd prefer to spend my money at a place that values good sanitation and disinfection rather than a place that may be a little cheaper. However, I've been trying to get better at doing my own nails to save money and to not risk infections.

ReplyQuote

@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com I agree with you. Dip powder nails really ruined my nails when I have gotten them done at a nail salon and have done them myself. I'd much rather to get acrylics or press ons.

ReplyQuote

I am really picky with what nail salons I go to because many of them don't practice proper sanitary procedures. Many of them just want to make money and get clients in and out the door. 

ReplyQuote

@marlimartiniectskin-com I agree with you. Many salons don't practice clean sanitary habits which is why so many women get infections after leaving the nail salon. I refuse to get pedicures anywhere because many salons don't properly clean or drain the pedi tubs the proper way in between clients.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Since i have been in school and know proper sanitation and disinfection protocols i always find myself blown away at some of the things i see in regular nail salons. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

There was a time i was getting dip because they had talked me into it, saying it was better for my nails, i was stunned when they pulled out the whole container of powder and dipped my whole finger into it multiple times. If they could just measure out a certain amount into a smaller container the effect would be the same and it would be much safer. I was also getting a pedicure as they were doing my nails and the nail tech dropped the nail brush on the floor and just picked it back up and put it back in the polish without hesitation. I was too stunned to speak. 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3
Share:
error: Content is protected !!