Member Admin
Topic starter  

Ocean swimming alters skin microbiome, increasing vulnerability to infection

Date:

June 23, 2019

Source:

American Society for Microbiology

Summary:

Swimming in the ocean alters the skin microbiome and may increase the likelihood of infection, according to new research.

Share:

FULL STORY

Swimming in the ocean alters the skin microbiome and may increase the likelihood of infection, according to research presented at ASM Microbe 2019, the annual meeting of the American Society for Microbiology.

"Our data demonstrate for the first time that ocean water exposure can alter the diversity and composition of the human skin microbiome," said Marisa Chattman Nielsen, MS, a PhD student at the University of California, Irvine, the lead author on the study. While swimming normal resident bacteria were washed off while ocean bacteria were deposited onto the skin."

The researchers detected ocean bacteria on all participants after air drying and at six and 24 hours post-swim, but some participants had acquired more ocean bacteria and/or had them persist for longer.

The research was motivated by previous studies which have shown associations between ocean swimming and infections, and by the high prevalence of poor water quality at many beaches, due to wastewater and storm water runoff. Recent research has demonstrated that changes in the microbiome can leave the host susceptible to infection, and influence disease states. Exposure to these waters can cause gastrointestinal and respiratory illness, ear infections, and skin infections.

The investigators sought 9 volunteers at a beach who met criteria of no sunscreen use, infrequent exposure to the ocean, no bathing within the last 12 hours, and no antibiotics during the previous six months. The researchers swabbed the participants on the back of the calf before they entered the water, and again after subjects had air dried completely following a ten-minute swim and at six and 24 hours post swim.

Before swimming, all individuals had different communities from one-another, but after swimming, they all had similar communities on their skin, which were completely different from the "before swim" communities. At six hours post swim, the microbiomes had begun to revert to their pre-swim composition, and at 24 hours, they were far along in that process.

"One very interesting finding was that Vibrio species -- only identified to the genus level -- were detected on every participant after swimming in the ocean, and air drying," said. Nielsen. (The Vibrio genus includes the bacterium that causes cholera.) At six hours post swim, they were still present on most of the volunteers, but by 24 hours, they were present only on one individual.

"While many Vibrio are not pathogenic, the fact that we recovered them on the skin after swimming demonstrates that pathogenic Vibrio species could potentially persist on the skin after swimming," said Nielsen. The fraction of Vibrio species detected on human skin was more than 10 times greater than the fraction in the ocean water sample, suggesting a specific affinity for attachment to human skin.

Skin is the body's first line of defense, both physically and immunologically, during exposure to contaminated water. "Recent studies have shown that human skin microbiome plays an important role in immune system function, localized and systemic diseases, and infection," said Nielsen. "A healthy microbiome protects the host from colonization and infection by opportunistic and pathogenic microbes."

Story Source:

Materials provided by American Society for MicrobiologyNote: Content may be edited for style and length.

(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

There was a woman at a beach in Norfolk last week that contracted a flesh-eating staph infection at Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach.  The infection spread quickly and was going up her leg. She was only in the water for 10 minutes.

She started not feeling good and a sore developed on her leg. She had to have her leg cut open and drained and had to take antibodies and antibiotics for two weeks.

Health care officials said to avoid swallowing water and swimming after a heavy rainfall.  Stay out of the water if you are  ill or have a weakened immune system. Stay away from fishing piers, pipes, drains and water from storm drains onto a beach.

There have been cases of this in several areas of the country. Is the beach really a safe place for swimming?

This post was modified 5 years ago by deborah

ReplyQuote
(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

I would be very interested in some more results on more people and taking into account maybe some people with skin conditions and how ocean water would effect them differently. Also how would people on antibiotics or who shower within 24 hours after swimming in the ocean would be affected. Would that lower the amount of ocean dwelling bacteria or perhaps completely eliminate the risk? If ocean bacteria can replace normal bacteria we already have on our skin, I wonder what effects swallowing water has on our internal organs and systems. I also wonder if in the future there may be products like sunscreens with antibacterial properties, and how that would effect our oceans.

ReplyQuote
(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

I now have another reason to stay out of the ocean.  I expect in the near future there will be guidelines for swimming at the beach.  The problem will only get worse with global warming and an increase in pollution.  Anyone with a compromised immune system should probably avoid the water all together.  Men and women may not want to shave before going to the beach and anyone who has any cuts or abrasions should probably stay out of the water too.  Perhaps sunscreens can include antibacterial , antimicrobial ingredients in their products in the future, like a bug spray when people go into the woods to avoid mosquitoes and ticks. After they come out of the water they can rinse off and spray themselves with it. I expect to hear about this more often,  bacteria and microbes thrive in warmer water and the ocean temperatures are rising so swimming at the beach or in lakes and rivers will become more dangerous than ever.  Its sad that more isn't done to protect the environment

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@leejenkinsiectskin-com

I am inclined to agree with you Lee. Give me a pool that has good upkeep.

Women do not want to head to the beach with hairy legs but one thing you should not do before going to the beach may surprise you. A person should never shave the legs right before going to the beach. Shaving right before heading to the beach can leave your skin prone to irritation. Shaving opens up the pores and your skin is exposed to elements like sun, sand, salt and chlorine and infection. Avoid shaving before stepping in the ocean altogether. Salt water can get into your open pores and cause a severe burning sensation.  The same advise is for waxing.

ReplyQuote
(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

I would be interested in a study that looked into the microbes on the body after swimming in a pool or after time in a jacuzzi. 

Taking normal precautions such as having open wounds covered is common sense. Also, it is a good policy to rinse off after spending time in the ocean and showering with soap once home.

ReplyQuote
(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

@tabethapetersoniectskin-com

Interesting thought Tabitha. I am not a fan of antimicrobial being added to various products as I feel that they disturb the body's natural flora as well as contribute to resistant strains of bacteria. From an ecological standpoint, I feel that the introduction of antibiotics into the ocean via sunscreen wearer would have consequences. Maybe a better idea would be some type of post-swim wet wipes?

ReplyQuote
(@virginiaduffiectskin-com)

Growing up in Toronto it was a given that Great Lakes water was very polluted and it was not advised to go swimming in it, most people swam in the fresh water lakes north and east of the city.  With the heat, industry and military ships all around i am amazed anyone goes swimming in the ocean here at all.

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!