19 Users
1 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

FDA concerned people mistakenly believe CBD 'can't hurt' them

New FDA concerns as many mistakenly believe CBD ‘can’t hurt’ them
ABC News Videos
http://media.zenfs.com/en-US/video/video.abcnewsplus.com/7b7f4fdc1750ef8a71126607baaec37 1" />

Scroll back up to restore default view.

FDA concerned people mistakenly believe CBD 'can't hurt' them originally appeared on goodmorningamerica.com

CBD products can be found nearly everywhere these days and many people have been turning to cannabis and cannabis-related products for unprescribed pain relief. But a new report says much research remains to be done before it can be considered safe.

According to a new consumer update from the Food and Drug Administration, the significant public interest in cannabis -- specifically CBD -- is causing the agency to be concerned that people may mistakenly believe that trying CBD "can’t hurt."

(MORE: Google searches skyrocket for CBD: What to know about the latest wellness trend, and does it work?)

"There are many unanswered questions about the science, safety and quality of products containing CBD," according to the agency, which is currently researching the products.

"The FDA has seen only limited data about CBD safety and these data point to real risks that need to be considered before taking CBD for any reason," the FDA added.

While there may be some benefits to CBD, the FDA is urging that the use of any CBD products should always be discussed with a health care provider.

With such limited information available about CBD, including the effects on the body, the FDA wants consumers to be aware of the potential risks associated with using CBD-related products.

Currently, the FDA has only approved one CBD product, Epidiolex, a prescription drug used to treat two rare forms of epilepsy in patients 2 years of age and older. Epidiolex contains a purified drug substance derived from marijuana. It also is used to treat patients with Dravet syndrome.

(MORE: Kim Kardashian West has a CBD-themed baby shower: What to know about CBD)

Although Epidiolex has helped patients with those rare forms of epilepsy, the prescription drug also has an increased risk of liver disease. The FDA said in its consumer update that the benefits outweighed the risks in that particular case.

The many unknowns behind CBD and its potential risks have the FDA actively working to learn more about the safety of CBD and CBD products, pointing to a recent government hearing and data gathered through a public docket.

"The FDA’s top priority is to protect the public health," the consumer update stated. "While we have focused on these types of products, we will continue to monitor the marketplace for any product that poses a risk to public health."

For people who uses CBD, here is what they should do to be safe:

1. Buyer beware

Right now, it’s difficult to know for sure what kind of product you are using and what it really contains. Some CBD products are being marketed with unproven medical claims and are of unknown quality.

2. Consult with your doctor

Since there is only one FDA-approved CBD product out there, the agency is saying it’s super important to get information about the products you’re using from a medical provider. Also, with many misleading, unproven or false claims associated with CBD products, some consumers may put off getting a proper medical diagnosis and treatment.

3. Don’t assume

While cannabis may have a natural association with healing for many, the FDA says just because it may seem natural, doesn’t mean that it’s safe.

4. Be aware of any changes in mental and physical condition

There are many potential risks associated with CBD products. While there can be physical changes to the body from consuming CBD, some risks can occur without people even realizing, like liver injury, male reproductive toxicity and the risk of impacts to other medication being taken simultaneously. If there are any changes, the FDA says to stop using CBD to reduce those side effects.

(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

Even if CBD didn't have any known side effects, taking an alternative to treatment to things like insomnia, anxiety, cancer etc in itself can do harm. CBD as stated here only has one FDA approved use and that's for a rare form of epilepsy, so using it for any other treatment without doctor recommendation can cause you harm simply by not getting treatment that would actually benefit you. It is very important to ask your doctor especially about things that don't require a prescription.

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I just watched a news item on tv where a 17 year old had to have a double lung transplant. Vaping was the culprit in this case. Vitamin E derivative used in the vaping solution (not black market) version is to blame as it coats the lungs. The lungs were inflamed and already scared form large amounts of vaping. The transplant had to be done to save his life

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

I always try to look for the science and research when someone suggests using a natural product to treat an ailment. I've had bad outcomes from trying natural oils based on someones recommendation. Just because it seemed to help them, doesn't mean it comes without harmful side effects. 

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I don't think it's regulated enough because there's products everywhere. One example is in skin care a lot of them don't put how much is in the product and how strong it is.

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Too many people are quick to try anything natural. There are many more tests that need to be completed with CBD products. As with most products, there are harmful side effects that people may experience. Some are more serious than others. I see CBD products all over and they all say safe and no side effects. That is too good to be true. It is not to be used for everthing

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

The fact that there is only one FDA approval should say something! It needs to be regulated more before we try using it as a remedy. I do know CBD can help with animals that have high stress/anxiety but i'm not sure when it comes to humans. I know vaping is now a big problem and some of the capes have CBD in them. I would have to do more research because I am not that educated when it comes to CBD but the fact that there is only one FDA approval definitely wouldn't want to make me use it. 

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

I agree with Mikayla, there certainly isn't enough regulation on products that contain CBD. People that have tried other pain remedies, and haven't had success, are willing to try it, especially with all the latest hype on CBD. I certainly didn't know there was only 1 regulated drug by the FDA approved. The bottom line is that there isn't enough research that's been done to know for sure if it's safe or not. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

I was pretty interested to read that there is only one CBD FDA regulated product as it seems to be popping up everywhere. I feel like I see a bunch of products like Mikayla said, but I personally could never really get what the benefit was supposed to be. It seems like CBD made a front in the marijuana alternative case for a while, but now it seems like vaping and cbd and help oils and others are beginning to reach stages of overuse without any research on their long term effects on the body. 

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@mikaylaalleniectskin-com you're right. And i feel like the products (that i have taken notice to) rarely give any kind of information or explanation to it's use or benefits. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

I tried CBD due to the hype of it to help with certain things I was going through and I felt like it did not really do anything. I took it for a whole month and felt no positive change in mood or body pain. It didnt help with my anxiety. I have heard some people say that it works miracles for them and they dont go a day without it, guess it all depends on the person and amount of cbd present in the oil? Either way, I would not recommend taking something especially if only 1 product is FDA approved, or without consulting a health care physician. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@deborah 

I completely agree with you. Everyone wants to gravitate towards the newest hype without really taking the time to research into it. It being natural is a positive factor as more people want to lean off of relying on medicine but ultimately one person's experience may not be the same as another. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

Gabby and Sydney -I agree there should be more control  as well. I see CBD products all over stores and online. One claims to be better than all the others. How would we know what is good or poor and how much should a person use. I do not like vaping at all because of the hi amounts of chemicals your breathing in on top of the CBD. So many young people are ruining their lungs and suffering badly. Some have had to have lung transplants 

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

There are so many different types of products on the market nowadays with CBD in them, and it makes me wonder how it can really be effective using so many different methods for administering it. I have wondered a lot about CBD facials that I see a lot of spas offering now and have wondered what kind of benefits they can truly have. This article discusses how little research there is about CBD, and it makes me wonder what people could possibly be claiming it does for the skin and how we are sure there are no adverse effects associated with it.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

CBD is really popular nowadays, but no one really knows what its truly doing to their body. People go off of what they hear, but never really take the time to read and educate themselves on what they are putting into their bodies. Unfortunately, I was one of the people that didn't read about CBD before using it. I was told that it helped with headaches and anxiety and it did no such thing. I stopped using it because one, I didn't see any changes in my headaches or anxiety and two, I didn't fully understand what I was consuming and how it could effect my body later on.

This post was modified 3 years ago by Keyonna Starks

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com I agree with you Sydney. I guess it really all depends on the person and how much they are consuming because it definitely did not work for me.

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

It's funny because they have just released hair a hair product line with CBD in it and I have always wondered what exactly the benefits are for the hair and skin? Of course CBD is known to help with those who have anxiety, ptsd and depression and you can get CBD ointments for arthritis to put on parts of the body. I do agree with this article though when it says to check your source, not all CBD is made the same. 

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@deborah Yessss it is not to be used for everything and you have to know your source! Not all CBD is the same and not all of it is good quality either. I feel like it came out and everyone was very quick to get their hands on it not even thinking about the negative side effects it can have. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I started using CBD gummies to help myself fall asleep on the nights i have trouble, and it has been a life saver. I've never tried using CBD for pain relief though. You have to be careful where you're getting it because it is not all FDA regulated. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I started using a lip balm that has CBD oil in it, I haven't seen any extra effects though. It does work as a pretty good lip balm.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com I like how nowadays CBD is becoming more regulated, and only sold in specific stores when its in high quantity.

ReplyQuote
(@madisonmauldiniectskin-com)

@deborah I agree, most people now assume if it's natural it's good. Everyone has a different tolerance for different things and it is important to ease yourself into trying something new, as you don't know what side effects will occur.

ReplyQuote

CBD has become a huge hit over the year and although there is research, there is still so much that we don't know about it. I know quite a handful of people that use CBD gummies, CBD "vapes", Put cbd in their bath, CBD for dogs, etc. I myself have used a "medicated" over the counter cbd cream for pain relief for my back.  I didn't feel much of a difference but I was surprised at how bad it felt like it was burning my skin and so itchy! This could have been how many milligrams were inside of the product.  I have also used a cbd moisturizer and I was actually quite pleased with the results, it really helped with inflammation and redness in my skin. Always be sure to at least do a patch test when using certain types of products because you don't know how your body will react. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com it is important to know anything you are putting in or on your body. I would be interested to know what it does for the hair if they are now putting it in shampoos.

ReplyQuote
(@emmamidgettiectskin-com)

@nicoleweberiectskin-com CBD bubble bath that I have purchase about a year ago now does wonders for my lover back pain and leg pain. I know its not a cure but for temporary relief it dose the job pretty well.

ReplyQuote
(@karyssamarleriectskin-com)

@deborah I have been seeing a recent spike in cases like this, vaping has gotten ridiculous and a lot of the vapes may have CBD in them.

ReplyQuote

Personally I have consumed CBD for a couple of years now and I think it could have played a role in some recent short term memory loss, I just forget common words in the middle of a sentence or just completely forget what I was talking about, as well as things I just did I cant remember. However, I used to inhale it through a vaping device and now I eat gummies which probably is just as bad but at least I'm not destroying my lungs.

ReplyQuote

@madisonmauldiniectskin-com I think it is pretty interesting to be able to turn CBD into a product that is used for different things.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

I have seen and heard a lot about how CBD can help people with pain and I think that if it helps people deal with that, they should use it.  I think there are so many other things that are more dangerous and we take that something as natural as CBD shouldn't be the exception.  I don't use any CBD products but I support those who do.  Dealing with pain is no easy task.

ReplyQuote
(@olgacoloniectskin-com)

@karyssamarleriectskin-com True, I don't know much about CBD but I can only assume that a gummy is way better than smoking something.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!