Clear all

Consultation - Botox

36 Posts
18 Users
2 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

We all know that Botox, or Botulinum toxic, is used to smooth out existing wrinkles for a younger-looking skin. But some people herald it as a preventative treatment to delay the initial onset of wrinkles, meaning that they are undergoing the treatment before they are showing any signs of fine lines.

But can Botox actually prevent wrinkles from forming in the first place? Furthermore, is it safe to use if it's not targeted towards treating something specific? To clear up any confusion, we've called upon the best cosmetics doctors in the business.

First thing's first, how exactly does Botox work?

Botox is actually a trade name for Botulinum toxin, a neurotoxic protein that temporarily paralyses muscles when injected. When Botulinum toxin is injected into a muscle underneath the skin surface, it relaxes the muscle causing the overlaying skin to appear smoother, making it a popular anti-wrinkle treatment in the cosmetics industry.

So, why would someone use Botox before they have wrinkles?

"Preventative Botox is a method of using Botox to prevent the formation of static lines which will become more apparent and progress to deep lines during the ageing process if not treated," explains Dr Tijion Esho, revered cosmetic doctor. In this way, rather than treating existing and fully formed wrinkles, preventative Botox stops them from forming in the first place by paralysing the muscles which cause them.

When should you first think about a preventative Botox treatment?

According to Dr Jonquille Chantrey, Aesthetic Surgeon and International Beauty Lecturer, it's the job of your cosmetic doctor to assess whether or not you could benefit from preventative Botox; "Whether or not to administer preventative Botox all depends on the natural facial expressions of the individual in front of me - I never give a blanket approach for all. For instance, some people frown a lot from wearing glasses, or not wearing glasses when needed - this can present in the late 20s. If it is pulling the brows down and Botox could quickly prevent a permanent line then I would consider treatment. For me skincare is extremely important, this is a strong preventive measure that is often ignored by practitioners in younger age groups. This can work beautifully with very light Botox injections. Overall, the youngest of my patients starting Botox injections tend to be late 20s."

According to Dr Mervyn Patterson, Cosmetic Doctor at Woodford Medical, there's a simple way for a practitioner to test whether the muscle in question is beginning to form marks on the skin. "A simple test is to pull the area apart with your fingers and see if there is still a line present," he explains. "If there is then I will have a discussion about using Botox to gently relax the muscles so we prevent further deterioration. The typical areas we are talking about are the vertical lines between the brows and the horizontal lines across the forehead. To leave these expressions untreated risks the wrinkle getting worse and being more difficult to treat in the future. In these cases we normally require less Botox to achieve the wanted effect and treatments are usually further apart. In experienced hands this light touch approach should be undetectable by anyone else."

Is the procedure the same as a wrinkle-smoothing one?

In many ways, yes. There's still a needle and injections. However, according to Dr Esho, the amount of Botox used will be far less. "In causes of treatment of fine line and wrinkles, you would use the therapeutic indicated dose to treat the fine lines. In preventive Botox there aren’t static lines present or if they are they are very fine therefore the dose used tends be a lot smaller which some refer to as micro Botox," he explains.

What about the risks?

With any cosmetic treatment, there are associated risks and it's important to weigh them up in light of the potential rewards in order to work out if it's all worth it for you.

"One risk is an inadequate assessment of the patient and just freezing out expressions," says Dr Chantrey. "This can look unattractive and carry noticeable stigma of treatment which can make someone look older. But too much into somewhere that naturally lifts can cause heaviness. The wrong placement into the forehead can make the brows look either heavy or give an exaggerated brow arch. A heavy eyebrow can be difficult to correct when over treated for a long time. A subtle dosing can give a beautifully lifted brow that looks natural. Chasing wrinkles around the eyes can lead to a change in the smile which I think is less flattering. I alter the dose around the eyes so the skin looks smoother - but without making the smile look pinched."

Plus, Dr Esho adds another important factor to consider; "Using Botox repeatedly over a long period from a young age can result in atrophy of the muscles and in some rare causes patients can build up a resistance to Botox."

The most important thing to do if you're considering preventative Botox is to research the procedure, try any non-invasive alternatives, and consult a reputable, qualified doctor.

(@leejenkinsiectskin-com)

I don't see anything wrong with this in moderation.  Botox is awesome if done correctly.  I think younger people should try doing other things first such as a good skin care routine and using spf and this will slow down the aging process.  And the money could probably be spent wiser on other things that don't have anything to do with vanity, botox isn't cheap. 

ReplyQuote
(@doreengreeniectskin-com)

Botox for prevention is not without risk. Longterm use of Botox may actually contribute to a more aged appearance due to muscle atrophy. 

The article does address the need for Botox at a younger age due to frequent facial movements that produce specific line patterns. I can see limited value in this approach for specific clients, but as a general anti-aging therapy (preventative) I personally feel Botox is not the best course of action.

Face shape, structure, and skin thickness need to be taken into account when deciding if Botox is a good solution. This will depend on personal choice and aesthetic preferences. 

There are many new and exciting therapies such as the prevention of thrombosis and use for those with Parkinson's disease to decrease tremors. Botox has many wonderful uses, but as a blanket suggestion for those in their 20's to prevent wrinkles, I feel that skincare dollars can be spent better elsewhere. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I do think Botox is a great product for use with facial wrinkles. There are many other uses for Botox such as for hyperhidrosis. 

I have seen the TV commercials recently for Botox and the ages of the actors are young. I feel that these ads could better reflect the product using different ages of people.

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I grew up thinking that botox was bad and dangerous. Which I'm sure if its done right its not as risky. I would be scared to do simply from judgement from my family. But I have considered it because I feel like I am getting some small lines around my eyes from not wearing my glasses (because I hate wearing them), but I have started to wear them a lot more since I noticed it. 

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I would agree with Lee and Doreen that there are other things that need to be taken into consideration before you get botox done and that while your young you should focus on preventative measures like having a good skincare routine and using good products. I might give this a try if I was in my 30's for the prevention but I would feel a little nervous about using too much botox over time.  And also how would botox prevent the onset of wrinkles if it only lasts for a couple months?

ReplyQuote
(@keenanhooksiectskin-com)

i agree with lee i dont see the problem with botox really ,if you have wrinkles and want them to go away botox as much as you want. due to people muscles and facial movement i feel some people get wrinkles easier than others as an example ive got this wrinkle or line in the middle of my forehead so i wouldnt mind getting botox to get rid of it and im only 22! so botox can be used for who ever when ever!  

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

My suggestion to anyone thinking of doing preventative botox is not to do it. Take the money that you would spend, and take care of your skin with products, and services such as professional treatments by a esthetician. Botox is expensive, and once you start, and can't keep up, the lines will still be there. As we age, I do think it's a good choice, but again, it's an expense than never ends. Usually once you start, treatment will be needed every 3-4 months. So unless, you can afford the expense of it, and it's usually around $10-14 per unit. Of course, if your treating it before lines are apparent, the total dosage needed will be far less, but it's still an ongoing expense. Take the money, and save it for when you really need it!

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

I'm 29 now but when I was 24 I had my dermatologist tell me I should start getting botox because it can help with wrinkles in the future. I thought she was crazy because they are so expensive and I was so young but now at 29 I have superficial lines in my forehead and under my eyes so maybe I should have listened to her! Although there are many other ways to treat superficial wrinkles and not have to spend a fortune to only get 6 month results. My biggest issue with botox is they are pricey and aren't permanent. So of course once you start why would you want to stop. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

Lauren I have seen advertisements for Botox and Fillers on TV recently and all the models look to be in their 20's -30's. I have had both and I started when I later than in my 30's. I think if you want to try it you should.

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I dont see a problem with botox as long as it is fully researched and more of a last option kind of thing. Finding a good skin care routine is important to be able to keep the skin you have healthy and looking youthful. Even if you get botox, if you dont know how to take care of your skin its pointless. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com 

I have had Botox a few times for lines around the eyes. I liked the effects. Yo do need to research the person doing the injections. If you are looking to have Botox or fillers ask to see the persons work. Bring a photo of yourself with expectations of what you would like to see. Some people I know have had injections of fillers and they look really over filled especially the lips.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

Along with keeping the skin healthy I can see the whole face looking better with some Botox and filler if the person feels they need it. The person should look at pictures of before and after at the consultation with the person doing the injections

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

I honestly don't see anything wrong with getting botox. As long as you do all your research on the facility providing the service and know all the risk that come with getting botox, then go for it if that's what you want to do!

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Botox can be used for many things like reducing facial wrinkles, manage acne, lift your lips, helps with migraines, and even calms excessive sweating.

ReplyQuote

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Yeah i have seen a-lot of women with overfilled lips or overfilled faces and it just doesn't look pretty!

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I don't find anything wrong with getting botox especially since it can help with more than just cosmetic stuff. I know sometimes it can get out of hand when women get their lips filled to the max, but it's just what some people like to do and I guess it's just better to let them do what they want rather than form a negative opinion on it. 

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I think botox is a great investment. As long as you do your research on the doctor and make sure they know what they are doing, I don't see an issue with injections. Botox can help with wrinkles, fine lines, uneven skin texture. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com I agree, I have seen a lot of women especially celebrities that just looked awful from the amount of botox and filler that has been injected into their face. 

ReplyQuote

@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com Yes, I have heard of preventive Botox. I am not sure if that is something I would be interested in just yet, I would like to do my own research before doing injections as it is maintenance and you have to keep up once you start. 

ReplyQuote
(@tristasensemaniectskin-com)

I love botox! I noticed a big difference in my forehead especially, but the doctor I spoke to about botox informed me that she doesn't consider botox to be a preventive treatment. I need to do more research on botox to see if it is truly a preventative treatment. If it is, I think its great to get it when youre in your twenties. If not, I think you should wait. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I am interested in learning more about use of botox for other areas or problems in the face or jaw and not just fine lines and wrinkles. I have never heard of it calming excessive sweating! Thats interesting.

ReplyQuote

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com I havent heard that it helps with uneven skin texture, that is super interesting too! I recently watched a video from a medspa advertisting masseter botox, also known as the face slimming botox. They say the insert the botox in the masseter muscle at the back of the jaw and it gives the client a square face shape. They also say people get this to help with lock jaw and grinding teeth in their sleep. I kind of want this because id like a thinner face, but not sure that i would want the square face shape.. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

I have had Botox 4 times over the past 4 years. I like the effects it has on the lines between my brows. I really like fillers as they last a long time. Be sure to find a qualified injector and look at their portfolio. They must understand what the look is that you are trying to achieve

ReplyQuote

@tristasensemaniectskin-com I don't know a whole lot about botox but I agree that it is not a preventative treatment! I had a doctor tell me when I was 24 to start getting them now however botox aren't a permanent solution. The effects wear off and then you have to get more filler to keep a smooth appearance. I think they are wonderful and if I could afford them I would probably get a little in certain areas, but I agree with your injector that they are not considered preventative. 

ReplyQuote
(@paigebrickhouseiectskin-com)

I have had both botox and lip fillers. I have deep lines in my glabella which if I didn't get botox they would progress then I would have permanent lines as I got older. I don't get any in my forehead or crows. Besides appearance there is other good things Botox can do for an individual such as hyperhydrosis and migraines. I get botox about twice a year and it typically lasts 3-4 months. Filler is not FDA approved for areas like between your eye brows, or your forehead and there is a lot of things that could go wrong if someone did inject filler in those areas. 

ReplyQuote

@tristasensemaniectskin-com I have thought about getting botox there too. It normally takes a lot of units about 40 all together. I haven't seen someone who has had a square face. I am bad about clinching my jaw so that is the reason why I would want to but a slimmer face would be nice too. 

ReplyQuote

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com I would absolutely do research. I see so many people going to botox parties and I don't like the idea of that. Especially the ones who go to peoples houses. I feel like you should go to a doctors office, or med spa if you were thinking about doing that. Sometimes people charge way less than average and that doesn't sit right with me either. I work at a derm office so I know how much a bottle is and I've seen people charge $9 per unit and if they did that they would lose money. 

ReplyQuote
(@student)

I've always been a firm believer that everyone should be able to do anything they want, to feel better about themselves as long as it's safe. I don't personally know much about botox, but I don't see any reason why someone shouldn't get it if they want it. As long as you go to someone with the proper credentials and do enough research, I think it's a great option for wrinkle and fine line reduction.

ReplyQuote
(@student)

@leejenkinsiectskin-com I agree that for young people who are looking for a preemptive treatment, that it's worth it to put their effort into skincare and sunscreen before turning to botox. There are a lot of other options out there for preventing the effects of aging that cost less and don't involve needles.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!