Clear all

Business - Travel News

17 Posts
11 Users
10 Likes
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanksgiving travel is the stuff of suffering: the crowding, the stress, the weather-induced delays, and, at least for some, dinner with the whole family. But come next year, your trip home, or anywhere else on a commercial airplane, may well demand something even worse: a trip to the DMV.

As of October 1, 2020, the TSA will stop accepting the old-timey driver's license you’ve likely got in your wallet as valid identification. So will other federal facilities, from courthouses to nuclear power plants. They will instead demand to see your Real ID, which will look just like your old one, with the addition of a star in the upper-right corner. This documentation is mandated by the Real ID Act of 2005, one of many post–September 11, 2001, moves by the federal government to buttress the national security apparatus. Critics, though, say the Real ID is an attack on civil liberties and a potential weapon for discrimination.

The Real ID isn’t a new kind of card—apart from that star. What’s changing is how you get one. Where states have historically set their own rules for verifying the details on your ID, they now must all follow federal standards. That means going to the DMV in person for your first Real ID. And it means showing up with a specific set of documentation that contains your full legal name, date of birth, and social security number. You’ll also need two proofs of address, plus evidence of “lawful status,” meaning that you’re a legal resident of the United States.

If you don’t get that done by the October 1 deadline, your current license won’t get you past the TSA. The security agents will accept https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification" }">other proofs of identity, though: You can show your passport, a permanent resident card, or an ID issued by a federally recognized tribe. And you can always flash your Merchant Mariner Credential.

The idea of standardizing the requirements for obtaining an ID came from the 9/11 Commission, which noted that some of the men who hijacked the planes had fraudulently obtained driver's licenses. However sensible its starting point, the idea rankled civil-liberty and privacy-minded groups. The American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic Frontier Foundation decried the Real ID as a subversive way to create a national ID, because the original plan called for creating a database of licenses across the 50 states. The uses of those IDs could expand to enable broader tracking of individuals, they argued, the way social security numbers are now used for much more than their original purpose. That’s especially true because the law calls for the cards to be machine readable, so the barcode can impart your name, date of birth, address, height, eye color, and more to whoever’s holding the scanner.

The 2005 law was hardly debated before its passage, largely because it went before Congress attached to an $82 billion spending bill that included funds for the Iraq War and relief for the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami that killed more than 200,000 people. But the opposition quickly mobilized. Seventeen states, concerned about privacy, the security of a national database of drivers, and the cost of rejiggering licensing operations and having every single driver come in for a new ID, refused to comply.

Those objections pushed Congress to authorize grants to states to defray costs. The Department of Homeland Security dropped some of the most offending elements of the plan, including that national database. It also repeatedly pushed back the deadline for enforcement, from 2008 to 2009 to 2011 to 2013 to October 2020. Gradually, the furor died down, and today all 50 states either offer the Real ID or are on track to do so, according to the DHS.

A leading complaint is about the law’s demand for proof of legal residence. The 12 states that offer driver's licenses to undocumented immigrants won’t be able to issue them Real IDs, so they have come up with various responses, most based on giving out two kinds of IDs: one for those who can get a Real ID and one for those who can’t (or don’t want one). Vermont, for example, offers Driver Privilege Cards to undocumented immigrants, which allow them to drive but are marked “Not for Federal Identification,” so TSA and other federal agents won’t accept them.

California has taken a similar route, offering Real IDs as well as standard licenses stamped “federal limits apply.” And while the DHS website “cautions against assuming that possession of a noncompliant card indicates the holder is an undocumented individual,” some worry that giving different kinds of identification to different groups will lead to discrimination. In a 2018 https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-ulin-real-id-20180730-story.html" }">op-ed in The Los Angeles Times, David L. Ulin warned of “the further development of what we might call a two-tier America, based on immigration status and economic opportunity.”

Despite those critiques, and after 14 years of fighting, the Real ID has nearly arrived. Of course, it could always be delayed yet again—giving plenty of Americans something to be thankful for come next Thanksgiving.

(@tabethapetersoniectskin-com)

I never thought about the security concerns of these Real ID cards but I can see how that can be an issue. Though I don't think it's any way to solve hijacking of a plane with a fraudulent Driver's License (Real ID or not). Certain states have driver's license that can already be scanned to validate them, and if people can fake that I'm sure they can just fake a Real ID.

ReplyQuote
(@angierodrigueziectskin-com)

Like it or not the Real ID system is coming. Since the horrible terrorist acts of September 11, 2001, U.S. government officials have been trying to find more precise ways of identify citizens. It is not clear whether the Real ID system will truly make America safer but the intent is to verify that anyone having a Real ID is at a minimum a legal resident of the US. There are still privacy concerns of course with digital database hacking, facial recognition concerns and civil liberties invasion but unless things change soon we all will be required to comply with these new guidelines.

ReplyQuote
(@mikaylaalleniectskin-com)

I don't plan on flying but I would need it to get onto base with my great grandma if she needs to go to the hospital. I haven't gone to get mine because I don't want to deal with sitting a the dmv lol. 

ReplyQuote
(@carliecannestroiectskin-com)

I don't care for the DMV either. At least maybe they could find a way to make the TSA process more efficient for people with all of these security add ons. 

ReplyQuote
(@deborah)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

I allocated 3 hours for obtaining my Real ID in December as my license had to be renewed by visiting the DMV. I got there at 8:15 am. There were at least 20 people ahead of me also getting the Real ID. Other people were coming and going in a great time. All in all, it took 2 1/2 hours. Be sure to have all the necessary documentation in order. it will make the process much better. Once the documentation is looked at its just waiting for your number to be called.

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

I'm not sure how I exactly feel about the "real ID" cards. If people can fake a drivers license i'm sure they can fake this new ID card. Sometimes I feel like the government makes plane hijackings related to terrorism larger than it really is, there have been no reported plane hijackings in America since 9/11 which was 18 years ago. 

ReplyQuote
(@lindseycoganiectskin-com)

I like that extra measures are being taken, but I don't think this is exactly the right way to stop terrorist attacks on planes. As far as terrorist organizations go, they are recruiting Americans to join their efforts. Those people will have the proper documentation to get a real ID. 

This post was modified 4 years ago by Lindsey Cogan

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I got my real ID not too long ago, and it has been a breeze to get into the airport and onto planes since. Fortunately, i got it when DMV was appointment only so i got in and out pretty fast. I dont quite understand the reasoning for the change to a Real ID as everything these days is replicated.

ReplyQuote
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

also have my real ID. I got it before COVID. I had to wait about 1 hour in a line but I really needed to get it. It is better to get though the airports and now I dont have to wait in the lines. 

ReplyQuote
(@cameranriddleiectskin-com)

At least now People cant have fake ids because they have to have the star on them. MY ID now isnt a real ID but i go back in september to get a new one.

ReplyQuote

@lindseycoganiectskin-com I can see how this could go wrong as well. Americans could join the terrist if they really wanted to.

ReplyQuote

@gabriellemrasiectskin-com All the security now is very advanced in the airports. Trying to sneak any weapon on would be very hard.

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

I've been saying I need to get my real ID but have yet to do it and the deadline is coming up really soon. I fly almost twice a year so it is crucial that I get my real ID. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

I got mine before COVID started and the lines were very long. I do travel so I made sure even as I was waiting for 2 hours. I know the date was extended so people would have more time before it is enforced

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@cameranriddleiectskin-com 

I read in the news that several people were caught try to board planes with loaded guns in their carry on bag. I do not understand why people are still doing this. Security is enforced and a loaded gun is something the person has to know is there. This happened in Norfolk last month

ReplyQuote
Member Admin

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com 

You were lucky. I did not know they had appointments. I have not flown since COVID began right after but I am happy it'\s one thing I do not need to do if I have to go somewhere fast

ReplyQuote
Share:
error: Content is protected !!