Clear all

Body Hair

37 Posts
16 Users
2 Likes
(@deborahwatersiectskin-com)
Member Admin
Topic starter  
https://www.health.com/condition/sexual-health/best-pubic-hair-removal%3Futm_source=facebook.com%26utm_medium=social%26utm_campaign=social-share-article%26utm_content=2020092 9">

Whether you do a little neatening up—or mow the whole lawn.

By Anthea Levi 

Updated September 29, 2020

bushes-pubic-hair
ALEX SANDOVAL

Some women sport a wild bush. Others remove their pubic hair religiously to stay completely bare down there. Most of us fall somewhere in between: In one study, over 75% of people surveyed reported grooming their pubic area. Unfortunately, more than a quarter of that majority also said they’d injured themselves, giving themselves cuts, burns, or rashes in the process. Ouch.

How risky is it to groom your pubic hair? “In general, the more thorough the technique, the higher the risk for injury,” Katharine White, MD, an ob-gyn at Boston University School of Medicine, tells Health. “Clipping is going to be less risky than shaving and shaving is less risky than waxing,” she explains.

With this in mind, we asked Dr. White to rank each hair removal method from a health and safety perspective. Before you grab the hot wax or your razor, remember this: Fuzz exists for a reason. “Our whole bodies were covered with hair at one point and now this is one of the only places where hair is left,” says Dr. White. “It stands to reason that evolution had a plan for that hair.”

Experts are divided as to what that plan is. Some believe it’s simply extra cushioning for intercourse, while others say pubic hair traps aromas that make us more attractive to our partners, notes Dr. White. Whatever the reason for it, if you're committed to grooming yours, here are the safest ways—and the most dangerous.

Trimming

When it comes to pubic hair removal, trimming with a pair of scissors is your safest option. This method won’t get rid of every last strand, but it can help restore order below the belt if you feel like things have gotten a bit wild.

“The only risk I would see is if you are using scissors to trim a batch of hair, especially in the middle, and you’re angling the tips towards your body without using a mirror,” says Dr. White. “You would never ever want to snag your labia or clitoris, so be sure you can always see the tips of the scissors at all times.” Noted.

Tweezing

It’s a little time-consuming and can be painful, but tweezing your pubes is a low-risk way to get rid of stray curlies along the bikini line. According to Dr. White, this method plucks the hair out at the root without irritating the skin (the way waxing or a depilatory can). If you’re someone who wants to remove hairs along your bikini line, pluck just a few follicles each day to spread out the work...and the pain.

Applying pubic hair removal cream (aka depilatories)

If you’re into keeping your skin-care routine all natural, a chemical hair removal cream probably isn’t for you. That said, Dr. White puts depilatories—which work by dissolving the hair at the surface of the skin—on the safer end of the hair removal spectrum.

“Like any other cream that you buy for acne or something else, you want to spot test to make sure your skin doesn’t have an adverse reaction to it,” she says. “Given that, as long as you’re careful, and you stick to applying it to the bikini line, it’s a good option.”

Doing laser pubic hair removal

Looking for something longer lasting? Laser hair removal may be the way to go. By converting light energy to heat, laser treatment damages the hair follicle beneath the skin, inhibiting regrowth, says Mayo Clinic. It works best on people with dark hair and light skin because laser light targets dark pigment. The most common side effects are skin irritation and changes in skin pigmentation (darkening or lightening), Mayo adds. As for its safety profile, it’s on par with depilatories and electrolysis, Dr. White notes.

Men are requesting laser hair removal too—“what we call a manzilian,” says Fadia Hoyek, president of the Society for Clinical & Medical Hair Removal and lead instructor at Broward Beauty Institute in Coral Springs, Florida. “It’s even more common than a Brazilian for a woman,” Hoyek tells Health. “Everybody likes to be clean for the beach,” she says.

But it’s a commitment, generally requiring two to six treatments, according to Mayo Clinic. Some people may require six to eight sessions, says Hoyek.

Going for electrolysis

It may be tedious, but electrolysis is considered the only form of permanent hair removal. For people with gray or light-colored pubic hair, it’s a great alternative to laser therapy for achieving a hairless look or dealing with pesky ingrown pubic hairs.

Heat or chemical energy (or a blend of the two) is delivered through a fine needle inserted into each hair follicle, according to a review in the Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology. While you might get some slight reddening of the skin during or after treatment, it’s temporary; overall the procedure is very safe, notes the Cleveland Clinic. Multiple treatments may be needed.

Shaving

It's easy to grab your razor in the shower and do a little neatening up—or even mow the entire lawn. But shaving does have its downsides. “Any time the skin is abraded, or cut, there’s a risk of infection,” says Dr. White. “There are bacteria all over our skin and our genitals are no different, so you want to do as much as you can to reduce the risk of breaking your skin while shaving and potentially getting an infection.” Not to mention ingrown hairs and razor burn.

One best practice: Never do it dry. “Always use shave gel, cream, or even just liquid soap,” advises Dr. White. “Anything that keeps the blade moving smoothly across your skin is going to be safer.”

It’s also important to replace your razor early and often. Most people think that a new razor is more likely to cut them because the blade is sharper, but the opposite is true, says Dr. White. “Old blades have nicks and rough surfaces that are much more likely to snag your skin when you’re shaving, so a new blade is actually safer.”

Oh, and don’t shave anywhere you can’t see. “I don’t think there is any way to shave your bum safely,” adds White. “Just don’t try.” Not a problem.

Waxing

Getting a bikini wax or a bare-it-all Brazilian wax means the hair won't grow back for weeks, which is super convenient. But waxers be warned: This method comes with multiple risks—particularly if you do it at a salon or spa.

“The first has to do with the cleanliness of the wax that’s being used,” says Dr. White. “You want to make sure that they are using wax that is being opened just for you and hasn’t been used for anyone else.” Contrary to popular belief, the wax is not hot enough to kill off harmful bugs. Yikes.

Also, even the cleanest wax can cause skin damage, including burns (especially if you DIY it and accidentally overheat the wax) and folliculitis—an infection of the hair follicles that causes angry red bumps. The wax rips out hair at the root, which opens follicles and potentially triggers this infection. If you know you have sensitive skin, consider opting for another form of hair removal.

Member Admin
Topic starter  

Some women shave but I find that when it starts to grow back it itches. It has a lot to do with the texture of the hair. I like waxing, Great care must be taken and never double dip into any wax for any reason. Waxing does afford some time before it grows in but keep up with it. It is easier to maintain when it is waxed regularly. Hair has different growth stages so if one wants to keep it hair free schedule appointments.

ReplyQuote
(@gabriellemrasiectskin-com)

My skin is so sensitive all over but down there it's even worse. When I can't wax I shave. If I don't shave a certain way I am dreading life the next few days. I always clean first, exfoliate, I use a special shaving cream, and then I shave very slowly and carefully, afterwords I use all natural raw organic coconut oil and I put that on for days after which really helps plus it is safe to use down there. I will also go without sleeping in underwear so the skin can breathe. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

On the days that I shave, I feel like I have been in the shower for hours! Aside from my regular shower routine, adding on shaving, exfoliating, and hydrating, I feel takes forever. I have only ever gotten my eyebrows waxed, and I can imagine the pain of having your pubic hair waxed. But, I suppose it does help reduce the time in the shower on shaving days!

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

Shaving can literally be the most draining experience ever it feels like. I completely agree with and typically do wax myself. I do think the intention and decision to remove or maintain body hair in women can be skewed by the interaction of  a male, be it positive or negative, and I think that consideration should be at the forefront of anyone waxing. Just to be sure that the client is truly comfortable themselves have the service performed and that they will be happy with the result.

ReplyQuote
(@francescablackiectskin-com)

@noracrainiectskin-com 

waxing is a different kind of experience! But that one day that you decide to shave and you've been in the shower for three hours and you're pruned and cold and your neck and back hurt....the wax is worth the fifteen minutes of pain in my opinion. 

ReplyQuote
(@amandamooreiectskin-com)

Today I got my first wax! It was on my armpits but it was honestly not as bad as I thought it was going to be. After I got home and the redness calmed down I'm obsessed. It's so smooth and I hopefully want to slowly start replacing my shaving routine with a waxing routine. Especially if it means the hair will get thinner over time and the pain will get less intense the more I do it. I'm honestly glad I started with my armpits because now I know legs and arms will be a breeze. It's just that bikini area I have to develop the nerve to do.

ReplyQuote
(@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com)

It's really interesting to see how these methods of hair removal are ranked in terms of safety. I never would've thought that waxing would be at the bottom of the list, and it's scary to think about the adverse affects of unclean or unsafe wax. I was also surprised to see hair removal creams so high on the list. I've heard so many horror stories about them and have been afraid to try them myself, but it seems like the stories of the worst case scenarios are just spread more commonly than positive experiences using it.

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

Shaving has always been my go to way of removing pubic hairs. I just think its convenient and easy to do. I do definitely see how much waxing can become much easier, with less and thinner hair coming back. I just don't have the courage to attempt it quite yet. My armpits were pretty painful the first time and even my legs at some point. I do imagine this area would be much more painful. I have found a way to stop my razor burn from occurring so right now it works for me. 

ReplyQuote
(@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com I'm actually curious to try a cream that would help to remove hair from this area. I feel like this would be a pretty easy way to get rid of it. I just would obviously make sure that I do a patch test on myself before completely committing to this idea. 

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

Recently I have started waxing more often because I have always heard that shaving is more likely to cause bumps and ingrown hairs, and that was something that happened to me a lot, plus waxing lasts a lot longer. Since starting to wax myself, i find the process a lot more satisfying and it lasts a lot longer. i used to get impatient while shaving so i know that could add to why i would see razor bumps and in growns so often.

ReplyQuote
(@jaydensugickiectskin-com)

@delaneyhiggonsiectskin-com in terms of safety i wouldnt have thought waxing would be on the bottom of the list either but i guess once you think about it it makes sense, especially if you go to someone else because you essentially cannot control what wax they use and they could tell you it is not contaminated but really it is. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Prior to becoming an esthetician I shaved. Now I like the waxing much better as it is a longer period in between and I don't have to worry about hair showing on legs and underarms. I prefer the wax we use in school over any others I have tried

ReplyQuote
(@keyonnastarksiectskin-com)

Shaving has always been my go-to method to remove the hair on my body, but it is so time consuming and it only last 2 days for me until the hair starts to grow back. I might consider getting a Brazilian in the future, but right now, my answer is still no. I hear so many people say its painful and I do not want to experience that pain.

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

I vowed to never get a braziilan but I finally did and its great. I like not having to shave everyday. The pain is not pleasant but after the first one and you keep up with the new growth its much better in the pain arena

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@keyonnastarksiectskin-com 

I vowed to never get a braziilan but I finally did and its great. I like not having to shave everyday. The pain is not pleasant but after the first one and you keep up with the new growth its much better in the pain arena

ReplyQuote
(@laurenjohnsoniectskin-com)

@deborahwatersiectskin-com Maybe after learning waxing I'll change over too! I have always only shaved to get rid of body hair. 

ReplyQuote
(@sydneymissaleiectskin-com)

Like everyone else Ive always shaved, but now that we are learning about waxing and doing waxing it makes me interested in getting waxed. I know the pain is all the talk when it comes to waxing but there's always a first for everything. 

ReplyQuote
Member Admin
Topic starter  

@sydneymissaleiectskin-com 

The pain compared to the results is worth it for me. I would have to shave at least 3 times a week and then the stubble is itchy. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

I wasnt always in favor of waxing by any means. When i was younger my mom would force me to get my eyebrows waxed and i hated it, mostly the pain but also because who ever did my brows would always mess them up and id be left with little to nothing. 

ReplyQuote
(@abigailcochraneiectskin-com)

Now i regularly get brazilians and have no issues. I love not having to shave and getting the razor bumps and irritation after. It is pricey and honestly it is not cheap , but i think its so worth it. I also got my arms waxed for the first time today and i have to say it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. 

ReplyQuote
(@tristasensemaniectskin-com)

I cant even imagine the pain of tweezing pubic hair!! I dont think I could do that, it just seems to painful and too time consuming. I have never heard of electrolysis before this article. That is interesting and I need to look deeper into it, but I am interested in laser hair removal, hopefully this is not painful. 

ReplyQuote

@amandamooreiectskin-com After having my armpits waxed in class, I am obsessed! I havent checked into prices anywhere, but I hope its affordable bc I really never want to shave again!! 

ReplyQuote

@kaytlynmolinaiectskin-com I would love to have my legs waxed and I hope I get to try that soon. I agree with the shaving, it is super convenient comparatively and super cheap. I don't like to do it, but its just so easy... 

ReplyQuote
(@camiryndavisiectskin-com)

In the beginning of puberty I would just trim myself. But as time progressed and i got more hair all over my body I began to wax and shave my body. I would totally not tweeze anything besides my eyebrows. I would love to do lazer hair removal one day when I can afford it.

ReplyQuote

@tristasensemaniectskin-com I agree I would never tweeze my pubic hair it would take way to long to get it done and the pain would be unbearable.

ReplyQuote

@abigailcochraneiectskin-com I have never gotten anything waxed besides my eyebrows but since my schedule is so busy so now i need to find someone to do it for me.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

i remember writing a response to this article when i started school in 2020, and i started waxing my armpits at home. the benefits were outstanding. still to this day, i wax at home. i havent been able to do my legs just yet, but i will get there. i do go to a spa to get them waxed and i swear by it to anyone who asks, i will never shave again. the pain can be a little much, but it goes away within a minute and not having to worry about shaving blocks the memory of the pain lol. even the way the hair grows back is smooth and i cant even tell when its time to wax again. 

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@camiryndavisiectskin-com girl, it is very much worth it! it does hurt, especially the first time. but when a week goes by and you are still smooth, you will never go back to shaving. it really is such a time saver and for me, a confidence booster.

ReplyQuote
(@noracrainiectskin-com)

@tristasensemaniectskin-com it is a little pricey, but when you add up how expensive razors are, and how often you are supposed to change the blades out and the time it takes to shave, the money that you spend on waxing isnt that much more expensive. Plus, once you have been getting waxed for a while, you dont need to get waxed as often. i have been getting waxed for over a year now and sometimes dont realize how long the hair hair is because it isnt noticeable 

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
error: Content is protected !!